Calories burnt doing household chores

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Actually sedentary for me, via MFP is definitely around 2-2500

By 5000 I'm lightly active

When I'm at work it's hard to get in more than 5000 and that includes a lunchtime walk
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I log things like cleaning only when it's out of the ordinary and pretty strenuous. I find that logging the calories is an incentive to move. However, I don't usually eat back my exercise calories. It's just nice to feel like I have a cushion. It's a psychological thing for me. I'm in the <30 lbs to lose club and if I ate back my exercise calories I would gain weight or at best maintain.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Geez, is this thread still here? It's been over 24 hours now. We have to let this one die so I don't have to keep looking at the "misspelt" title!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Per this article
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

So I get about 5k steps doing my weekly cleaning...2-3 hours. Laundry, scrubbing, bathroom etc...I don't log it.

I feel if your house is dirty enough to break a sweat cleaning it you don't deserve to eat back the calories from cleaning it...that is your punishment.

And to be frank if I see someone logging cleaning on my FL...they are removed. I want serious people on my FL...those who are honest with themselves about their true goals and if you are logging cleaning...that's not you.

IMO

I just want to say this again, because really?? I have always logged these things and I am quite serious – have lost 96 pounds since last May.

Yes really and if you all don't like it don't send me FR cause they won't get accepted and if they do and I see cleaning logged you get removed. If you think logging cleaning is acceptable that is your business go ahead...I don't and that is my business. *smh*

When you have 20-30lbs left to go and you are still logging those things and can't figure out why it won't come off come back to this thread and remember this.

Forever surprised at how offended people get by strangers...

Trust me, I would NOT be sending you a FR.

I'm not offended, but only surprised at how judgmental people can be. Everyone's experience is different.

I'm sure that when I get closer to goal my approach will change, but logging activity like that has been how I've done things, and I wanted to share that since it was another answer to the OP's question. Anyone can look at my profile and see how much weight I've lost and how much I have to lose.

In addition to cleaning and cooking, I also log things like running, cycling, tennis, and yoga. I'm doing all kinds of stuff and I am trying to eat and live in a way that is sustainable – so that I lose weight slowly and that I will keep it off for good.

Whatever.

Yet you feel it's okay to judge me....? interesting...pot/kettle...

btw I didn't ask for a FR from you...*smh*

As you said everyone's experience is different and if you are at such a low calorie goal that you need the extra from logging cleaning....have at...my experience is this...I cleaned hard/gardened hard and I gained/maintained over 200lbs for a long time...cleaning is not exercise...it is done while we are gaining/losing/maintaining...kind of like death and taxes.

Jesus. You said: "Yes really and if you all don't like it don't send me FR..."

I'm not sure how it is I am judging you now. At all.

I'm not at such a low calorie goal, no. I said earlier, I am trying to eat in a way that is sustainable for the long haul. I have plenty of cals to play with. I usually don't eat back all my exercise cals because I know about the great margin of error. I make adjustments as I go along. If I stall (and I have), I mix it up or I tighten things up in the log. And like I said, this has worked for me.

A "normal" day for me is a desk job for 8 hours, plus a 45 minute drive each way, and then relaxing in the evening, so anything outside of that I see as extra effort – of course this includes the four running workouts each week, three-four sessions of tennis a week, and other things here and there (cycling, hiking). I include mowing the lawn because it is an effort, I include gardening and yardwork for the same reason, and I include cleaning because when I clean, I really clean.
    you really can't see how you are judging me? Wow...let me spell it out...you are judging me because I don't keep people on my FL if they log cleaning...you find me wanting and less than due to that.

Funny thing is I don't care if you log cleaning, yard work, or exercise...people on my FL have the same outlook on this as me...if you don't your not on my FL...I am not judging anyone for their choices...I might in jest but holy crap people.....it's my FL and i get to choose who gets on it and why. Am I gonna get the same response when I say

If you eat under 1200 don't send me a FR?
    If you eliminate food groups don't send me a FR?
    If you do weird diets or use cleanses or odd pills to lose weight don't send me a FR?

Probably not...
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Per this article

So I get about 5k steps doing my weekly cleaning...2-3 hours. Laundry, scrubbing, bathroom etc...I don't log it.

I feel if your house is dirty enough to break a sweat cleaning it you don't deserve to eat back the calories from cleaning it...that is your punishment.

And to be frank if I see someone logging cleaning on my FL...they are removed. I want serious people on my FL...those who are honest with themselves about their true goals and if you are logging cleaning...that's not you.

IMO

I just want to say this again, because really?? I have always logged these things and I am quite serious – have lost 96 pounds since last May.

Yes really and if you all don't like it don't send me FR cause they won't get accepted and if they do and I see cleaning logged you get removed. If you think logging cleaning is acceptable that is your business go ahead...I don't and that is my business. *smh*

When you have 20-30lbs left to go and you are still logging those things and can't figure out why it won't come off come back to this thread and remember this.

I'm not offended, but only surprised at how judgmental people can be. Everyone's experience is different.

I'm sure that when I get closer to goal my approach will change, but logging activity like that has been how I've done things, and I wanted to share that since it was another answer to the OP's question. Anyone can look at my profile and see how much weight I've lost and how much I have to lose.

In addition to cleaning and cooking, I also log things like running, cycling, tennis, and yoga. I'm doing all kinds of stuff and I am trying to eat and live in a way that is sustainable – so that I lose weight slowly and that I will keep it off for good.

Whatever.

As you said everyone's experience is different and if you are at such a low calorie goal that you need the extra from logging cleaning....have at...my experience is this...I cleaned hard/gardened hard and I gained/maintained over 200lbs for a long time...cleaning is not exercise...it is done while we are gaining/losing/maintaining...kind of like death and taxes.

I'm not at such a low calorie goal, no. I said earlier, I am trying to eat in a way that is sustainable for the long haul. I have plenty of cals to play with. I usually don't eat back all my exercise cals because I know about the great margin of error. I make adjustments as I go along. If I stall (and I have), I mix it up or I tighten things up in the log. And like I said, this has worked for me.

A "normal" day for me is a desk job for 8 hours, plus a 45 minute drive each way, and then relaxing in the evening, so anything outside of that I see as extra effort – of course this includes the four running workouts each week, three-four sessions of tennis a week, and other things here and there (cycling, hiking). I include mowing the lawn because it is an effort, I include gardening and yardwork for the same reason, and I include cleaning because when I clean, I really clean.
    you really can't see how you are judging me? Wow...let me spell it out...you are judging me because I don't keep people on my FL if they log cleaning...you find me wanting and less than due to that.

Funny thing is I don't care if you log cleaning, yard work, or exercise...people on my FL have the same outlook on this as me...if you don't your not on my FL...I am not judging anyone for their choices...I might in jest but holy crap people.....it's my FL and i get to choose who gets on it and why. Am I gonna get the same response when I say

If you do weird diets or use cleanses or odd pills to lose weight don't send me a FR?

Probably not...

I am not judging you, though. I would just choose not to friend you based on what I've seen here in the forums, as you would choose not to friend me knowing what you know. I guess that could be considered judging but I'm not sure why you are taking such offense by it.

We all have criteria for those we wish to be friends with, here or in the real world. My criteria for friends here is that they are engaged and active, that they are interesting (to me), and... here's the kicker... your list minus the cleaning/cooking biz. I also hate the word "cheat" in relation to food, so if someone starts with that, I just can't deal and I will generally unfriend.

I'll just keep doing what I am doing and continue to be successful, however long it takes me, cleaning and cooking or not.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    SJMask89 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that duct tapes my spray bottles, brooms, and sponges to 25lbs dumbells to get the extra calorie burn while doing chores? I call it Power Cleaning.

It's like Edward 40 hands but with dumbells instead of 40s. hee hee. I like it.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that duct tapes my spray bottles, brooms, and sponges to 25lbs dumbells to get the extra calorie burn while doing chores? I call it Power Cleaning.

Excellent.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Contrary to most, I DO log all of my activity, because I have my activity level set as sedentary. I also track my steps, and this motivates me to get up and move around as much as possible at my desk job.

Amen! I track my steps for the very same reason. Huge motivator.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Actually sedentary for me, via MFP is definitely around 2-2500

By 5000 I'm lightly active

When I'm at work it's hard to get in more than 5000 and that includes a lunchtime walk

This is what I understand. If I make an effort to walk more, I can usually reach 5000-6000 no problem. So far today I have been busy at work and have only reached about 1500. :( This doesn't include my intentional exercise, which I still do, of course, for at least 30-60 minutes a day. But I don't log my activities separately, I just log the total amount of steps I get, and I underestimate what I log. If I logged cleaning, etc, on top of that, it would definitely be double dipping.
  • fatcity66
    Options

YES YES YES
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Per this article

IMO

Whatever.

Probably not...

I am not judging you, though. I would just choose not to friend you based on what I've seen here in the forums, as you would choose not to friend me knowing what you know. I guess that could be considered judging but I'm not sure why you are taking such offense by it.

We all have criteria for those we wish to be friends with, here or in the real world. My criteria for friends here is that they are engaged and active, that they are interesting (to me), and... here's the kicker... your list minus the cleaning/cooking biz. I also hate the word "cheat" in relation to food, so if someone starts with that, I just can't deal and I will generally unfriend.

I'll just keep doing what I am doing and continue to be successful, however long it takes me, cleaning and cooking or not.

I just want to say this again, because really?? This statement is judgemental...
    Trust me, I would NOT be sending you a FR. pretty "blunt" and judgemental....

am I offended nope...I find the harping on me due to my choices tiring...that's all...from private hateful messages to open condemnation from a certain population on the forums a bit tiring...and personally just sick of the BS so I am defending myself and my choices...
  • fatcity66
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    Geez, is this thread still here? It's been over 24 hours now. We have to let this one die so I don't have to keep looking at the "misspelt" title!

Haha that bugs me too. OCD...
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    This thread is exactly why I have a Fitbit. It tells me exactly how much I should be eating, every day, based on that day's activity. In the last half hour I have logged 1000 steps at my "desk job" between running to the printer and taking stuff to my boss's office as she figures out what she needs.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm always curious about people who log cooking - do they log sex, too?

I noticed this once when I was looking through the public diary of someone who was complaining about plateauing... "Sexy Time" as exercise. Noped myself right out of there.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Wait, you mean vacuuming isn't that push-pull thing I hear lifters talk about?

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

LOL, true. ;)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Does your vacuum cleaner have a pull start?
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am forever amazed at how difficult people want to make weight control. I can't even imagine WANTING to log every little thing I do but I guess everyone needs a hobby.