Options

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    midpath wrote: »
    I eat primal mostly which is similar to paleo but it calls for me to not eat as much processed foods and if I do eat processed its usually condiments with low sugar content. Last night I decided to say what the hell and go out for Mexican with some friends. I got a guacamole salad and some nachos and I paid for it all night. I had very bad stomach cramps and I was so bloated.

I understand you wanting to throw up. I've totally done that before. It's better than feeling miserable and ill.

This usually does happen when I occasionally go off. Alcohol doesn't do it but fast food or restaurant food does it big time. Especially sweets that aren't homemade. Idk what it is but I can just go to the bakery, I have to make my own otherwise it feels awful.

if you can eat things from the bakery but not from the store then it is a mental thing. sugar = sugar

The bakery sugar is more processed...... That's what it is
    mantium999 wrote: »
    absent a medical condition or food allergy, our bodies all process food in the same manner..so not sure how that is ridiculous.

Just because you think you are different does not make it so.

Hormone response, age, insulin sensitivity. These are just a few of the things that cause variations in the processing of food among individuals.

2 of the 3 you just listed are outliers from the norm. Are abnormal homone and insulin issues not considered medical conditions?

Not if you aren't diagnosed. It's estimated that more people have these issues than are aware of it.

Wait, so a condition is only one in the presence of a diagnosis?

Um. I'm confused. Like, if you go to your doctor and say "I think I'm gluten intolerant," and they do tests, and the tests come back negative and your doctor says "nope, you're not"...you're saying it's still possible?

I think he's saying more along the lines if you have the condition in question, you have it even before you get diagnosed or if you don't go to the doctor.

Ah, sure, but I know if I personally suspected myself to have a medical condition, I would be wise enough to seek help from my doctor.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I eat primal mostly which is similar to paleo but it calls for me to not eat as much processed foods and if I do eat processed its usually condiments with low sugar content. Last night I decided to say what the hell and go out for Mexican with some friends. I got a guacamole salad and some nachos and I paid for it all night. I had very bad stomach cramps and I was so bloated.

I understand you wanting to throw up. I've totally done that before. It's better than feeling miserable and ill.

This usually does happen when I occasionally go off. Alcohol doesn't do it but fast food or restaurant food does it big time. Especially sweets that aren't homemade. Idk what it is but I can just go to the bakery, I have to make my own otherwise it feels awful.

if you can eat things from the bakery but not from the store then it is a mental thing. sugar = sugar

absent a medical condition or food allergy, our bodies all process food in the same manner..so not sure how that is ridiculous.

Hormone response, age, insulin sensitivity. These are just a few of the things that cause variations in the processing of food among individuals.

2 of the 3 you just listed are outliers from the norm. Are abnormal homone and insulin issues not considered medical conditions?

Not if you aren't diagnosed. It's estimated that more people have these issues than are aware of it.

Um. I'm confused. Like, if you go to your doctor and say "I think I'm gluten intolerant," and they do tests, and the tests come back negative and your doctor says "nope, you're not"...you're saying it's still possible?

I think he's saying more along the lines if you have the condition in question, you have it even before you get diagnosed or if you don't go to the doctor.

Well said.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous to assume our bodies are all the same. Period. Just because one person can eat a piece of cake and feel fine doesn't mean everyone can. So maybe its not in their heads.

To the OP, people can have a weird reaction to foods and ingredients they haven't had in a long time. It could also be bad cake. You also could've already had a bug.

Actually for someone to go without sugar for a long period of time and then eat a large amount of something extremely sugar dense can mess with your stomach.

Why's that hard for you to grasp?

funny, last time I did that I had zero issue as did @Cwolfman13 so that is why it is hard to grasp.

Exactly my point. It can mess with your stomach. Doesn't mean it will, but it can. For some people.

no, you think it does. Big difference.

but we have gone off the rails enough ..

Surely you have references for your claim, yes?

You want a reference for psycho-somatic induced vomiting? It isn't that hard to happen, heck, your initial moral reactions to things you disagree with are processed by the actual same part of the brain that handles biological disgust. You can very easily get physically ill by something that you've become morally outraged against. Hence the issue with demonizing food.
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19586243
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous to assume our bodies are all the same. Period. Just because one person can eat a piece of cake and feel fine doesn't mean everyone can. So maybe its not in their heads.

To the OP, people can have a weird reaction to foods and ingredients they haven't had in a long time. It could also be bad cake. You also could've already had a bug.

Actually for someone to go without sugar for a long period of time and then eat a large amount of something extremely sugar dense can mess with your stomach.

funny, last time I did that I had zero issue as did @Cwolfman13 so that is why it is hard to grasp.

Exactly my point. It can mess with your stomach. Doesn't mean it will, but it can. For some people.

You want a reference for psycho-somatic induced vomiting? It isn't that hard to happen, heck, your initial moral reactions to things you disagree with are processed by the actual same part of the brain that handles biological disgust. You can very easily get physically ill by something that you've become morally outraged against. Hence the issue with demonizing food.

The claim was that people have no differing reactions to food. Psychosomatic response certainly qualifies as a reaction. Whether the root cause is physical or mental isn't at issue.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I can relate. In fact the other day I made a post called "Food hangover". It seems that since I don't eat sweets, much dairy, grains, etc. when I do induge in these items it just doesn't work for my body any longer. It makes me sick and bloated and generally achy all over!

Sugar is not bad, no foods are bad, it comes down to the number of calories.

But some food... when you don't eat it for a long time it really has legit physical effects!
  • senecarr
    Options

reference for what? that absent a medical condition or food allergy our bodies process food in the same manner?

For your claim that the GI distress described by several people here didn't actually occur.
    You're trying to reduce it to a black-white choice so that you can claim you're right simply if NDJ is wrong.
    What is really happening is post-hoc analysis of probabilities. What is being claimed is that being spontaneously sensitive to sugar is the least probably cause. Far more likely causes are that the cake was prepared wrong, or that it was psycho-somatic.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

reference for what? that absent a medical condition or food allergy our bodies process food in the same manner?

For your claim that the GI distress described by several people here didn't actually occur.

never said that.

I said it was due to bad food, coming down wit something, or something besides just "sugar"...

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Hormone response, age, insulin sensitivity. These are just a few of the things that cause variations in thue processing of food among individuals.

Define medical problem.

I'll play. Found this. http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/medical+condition

medical conditionA disease, illness or injury; any physiologic, mental or psychological condition or disorder (e.g., orthopaedic; visual, speech or hearing impairments; cerebral palsy; epilepsy; muscular dystrophy; multiple sclerosis; cancer; coronary artery disease; diabetes; mental retardation; emotional or mental illness; specific learning disabilities; HIV disease; TB; drug addiction; alcoholism). A biological or psychological state which is within the range of normal human variation is not a medical condition.

I bolded the part that relate to your list of 3 items. So, your turn. When 2 of those 3 (hormone response, and insulin sensitivity) fall outside of the range of normal human variation, they would be considered a medical condition, based on their being a physiologic item. So, how is your list of items a contradiction to the statement of "absent a medical condition"???
  • senecarr
    Options

The claim was that people have no differing reactions to food. Psychosomatic response certainly qualifies as a reaction. Whether the root cause is physical or mental isn't at issue.
    Yes, it actually is important. Simply because you need to misrepresent NDJ as saying no one felt ill, rather than him arguing about the underlying cause because it is the only way you can make an argument at this point, doesn't change what he said.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, but could it be more a matter of eating too much rather than WHAT you ate? You said you went over your calories. You don't say by how much, but if you ate a normal day's worth of food and then stuffed down two pieces of cake, that could make you feel sick and you'd likely feel just as sick if you stuffed down the same amount of broccoli. Except no one would stuff down that much broccoli. ;)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, but could it be more a matter of eating too much rather than WHAT you ate? You said you went over your calories. You don't say by how much, but if you ate a normal day's worth of food and then stuffed down two pieces of cake, that could make you feel sick and you'd likely feel just as sick if you stuffed down the same amount of broccoli. Except no one would stuff down that much broccoli. ;)

I was thinking the same thing. I just ate a ton of graham sticks and now I feel ill, but it certainly wasn't because of what I ate.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I can relate. In fact the other day I made a post called "Food hangover". It seems that since I don't eat sweets, much dairy, grains, etc. when I do induge in these items it just doesn't work for my body any longer. It makes me sick and bloated and generally achy all over!

Sugar is not bad, no foods are bad, it comes down to the number of calories.

But some food... when you don't eat it for a long time it really has legit physical effects!

I'd be careful saying that here. The thread Nazis will come down on you for speaking unpopular opinions.
  • accidentalpancake
    Options

Hormone response, age, insulin sensitivity. These are just a few of the things that cause variations in thue processing of food among individuals.

Define medical problem.

I'll play. Found this. http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/medical+condition

medical conditionA disease, illness or injury; any physiologic, mental or psychological condition or disorder (e.g., orthopaedic; visual, speech or hearing impairments; cerebral palsy; epilepsy; muscular dystrophy; multiple sclerosis; cancer; coronary artery disease; diabetes; mental retardation; emotional or mental illness; specific learning disabilities; HIV disease; TB; drug addiction; alcoholism). A biological or psychological state which is within the range of normal human variation is not a medical condition.

I bolded the part that relate to your list of 3 items. So, your turn. When 2 of those 3 (hormone response, and insulin sensitivity) fall outside of the range of normal human variation, they would be considered a medical condition, based on their being a physiologic item. So, how is your list of items a contradiction to the statement of "absent a medical condition"???

Hormone response differs depending on gender and age, and there is no way to standardize most hormonal responses across all populations. There is no single human variation available to fall outside of.

I'll have to get papers dug up on insulin response, but that's a poor example to support the point as well.

Further, why would they be medical issues if they require no treatment, as both of the above qualify in the majority of cases?

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Lol ok but the thing is that a lot of the undiagnosed medical problems people tend to have (not speaking now about the OP's response to cake, to be clear) are undiagnosed because

1) they're hard to work out from the symptoms alone, some of which may be vague or hard to differentiate from 100 other things without appropriate medical investigation

2) sometimes, the issues are subclinical as far as official test ranges go - i.e. they're not read by a lab as "abnormal" - but still cause symptoms. This is an issue for people with hormonal problems particularly (thyroid, pcos). (The normal reference ranges for some thyroid tests were recently changed, for example, and not all labs treat them the same way)

3) not all doctors are equally familiar with or competent at diagnosis or management of some complex conditions, or as up on the latest, most helpful treatments as would be ideal. E.g. with IBS, lots of GPs (like mine) just say, "eat more fiber". Yeah ok, except people with different expressions of IBS respond differently to soluble & insoluble fiber. The wrong kind of fiber actually makes things worse for some people.

4) it takes more than you imagine to deal with 3) . Being an effective self-advocate involves a) not feeling demoralized by an indifferent doctors' dismissal of symptoms, i.e. trusting your body over the apparent authority of sometimes inappropriate (for the condition) tests and ranges, or bad or outdated advice, and b) having enough energy to go through the sometimes necessary round of getting second opinions, finding a good care team, etc - which is no mean feat when you already don't feel well.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Ah, sure, but I know if I personally suspected myself to have a medical condition, I would be wise enough to seek help from my doctor.

Yeah, most people do.

My dad knows he has high blood pressure, but he puts off going to the doctor. Some people are just stubborn.
  • accidentalpancake
    Options

Yes, it actually is important. Simply because you need to misrepresent NDJ as saying no one felt ill, rather than him arguing about the underlying cause because it is the only way you can make an argument at this point, doesn't change what he said.

Midpath noted that such intake can mess with people's stomachs. NDJ said that it doesn't, and that they only think it does. There's no interpretation to be made, those are the words. Nothing about source of distress, nothing acknowledging distress, but outright denial that it happened.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Define medical problem.

Hormone response differs depending on gender and age, and there is no way to standardize most hormonal responses across all populations. There is no single human variation available to fall outside of.

I'll have to get papers dug up on insulin response, but that's a poor example to support the point as well.

Further, why would they be medical issues if they require no treatment, as both of the above qualify in the majority of cases?

An engaged discussion, sweet!!! First, I am no expert on hormonal issues, so I am not making claims. Genuinely interacting in conversation here. Would a hormonal response outside of the norm (which you stated can't be standardized) be considered a hormonal imbalance, which are often treated medically? Or are these 2 completely different entities?
  • senecarr
    Options

Midpath noted that such intake can mess with people's stomachs. NDJ said that it doesn't, and that they only think it does. There's no interpretation to be made, those are the words. Nothing about source of distress, nothing acknowledging distress, but outright denial that it happened.

Long before you came into the thread, NDJ said:
    no, it is called a self fulfilling prophecy. You eat cake and think "oh no, I ate bad foods" and you immediate mental reaction triggers you to feel bad..
    That sounds to me like NDJ perfectly well acknowledging it could be psychosomatic in nature.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Wish I had something to add lol but my sub topic got deleted sooooo

*sits patiently for work to end*