SUGAR SuGAr SuGAr!!!

Options
ducky653
ducky653 Posts: 20 Member
I feel like the cookie monster - after a full day of working out and eating healthy vegetables, proteins, and fruits, all I want is sugary snacks!

What do you guys use when you crave sugar, and are there any healthy ways to fight off cravings that don't involve eating more fruit?

Replies

• midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just eat peanut butter and the craving leaves
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I find that if I eat more protein & food with more fat content, I crave sweets less because I am less hungry. I crave sugar and sweets when I'm hungry.

That said. Sometimes, I say "screw it," and eat the sugar. And log it.

I am not anti-sugar. I am anti-hunger. I enjoy sugary foods but they do not keep me satisfied as long as foods higher in fat and/or protein.

Oh and I finally, finally, found a diet soda I can drink and ENJOY - Sprite Zero. It does not have the same horrid after taste other diet drinks tend to have. It doesn't taste like regular Sprite, but close enough, esp. when I'm thirsty and want something fizzy and sweet.....and don't want my standby (flavored seltzer water or club soda with a twist of lemon or lime, etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    when I want something sugary, I eat it.

I usually do not have an issue as I leave a few hundred calories every day for ice cream, oreos, etc.

Instead of trying to restrict yourself to the point of craving something, why not make room for it in your day.

sugar in a calorie deficit does not make you gain weight, or hinder weight loss, and sugar can be a part of a healthy diet.
  • eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I usually do not have an issue as I leave a few hundred calories every day for ice cream, oreos, etc.

Instead of trying to restrict yourself to the point of craving something, why not make room for it in your day.

sugar in a calorie deficit does not make you gain weight, or hinder weight loss, and sugar can be a part of a healthy diet.
    +1
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    If you want to conquer for the sake of self discipline that is one thing

Or if eating a cookie triggers a desire to eat a entire sleeve of Girl Scout thin mints...

I would say toughen up and do it

If not....

Allocate some calories and hit that chips ahoy soft and chewy
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    eatgoodeat wrote: »

+1

+2

If you like it, its a whole lot easier to make room for it, than it is to consider it a bad choice and avoid it, especially if there is no logical reason to avoid it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

The problem with addiction is not when you try to restrict yourself. It is there whether you restrict or not.

Cravings are not the same thing as an addiction. IMO
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

The problem with addiction is not when you try to restrict yourself. It is there whether you restrict or not.

there is no such thing as sugar addiction.

craving does not equal addiction.

if you have evidence of human trials showing a correlation between sugar and addiction, please post said research.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options

+1

For me, sugar cravings happen when I'm not eating enough fast energy foods. So I drink some water and eat some fruit or PB/toast and it goes away.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

...........who said anything about addiction?
  • nvmomketo
    Options

...........who said anything about addiction?

Umm, I did.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    OP you said full day workout. Maybe you should consider increasing your calories on the days you do a full day workout. Decrease calories on days you do not workout. I have found it helpful to eat more on days I workout more (heavy weight training). I also eat a little more dense type of foods to feel more full. If I want a cookie I have it. Also try to find something to take your mind off eating. Go for a long walk, find a hobby, call someone you have not talked to in a while.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    there is no such thing as sugar addiction.

craving does not equal addiction.

if you have evidence of human trials showing a correlation between sugar and addiction, please post said research.

Human trials is the problem. Research in this area is in its infancy still. It takes just seconds to find something on other animals though.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2714381/
    I am pretty sure that you know this though.

I know that craving does not equal addiction. A craving is a strong desire for something. I have craving for a good book or tast burger. I don't feel physically ill when I don't get those.

I may crave certain types of sugar laden food, but I believe it is the sugar I have an issue with.

I'm of the opinion that just because science doesn't say it is so yet, it does not mean that there is not an addictive like response there.

Just because the doctor said I did not have celiac disease as a child, because I was not scawny and short for my age, does not mean I didn't have it. Science caught up and I was diagnosed 30 years later.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Well, if you have room for it in your day, have a sweet snack. Just one suggestion: If you are a big chocolate fan, try a chocolate rice cake with a serving of prepared PB2 on top. That's about 105 calories right there and really, really satisfying. Or, try quest bars. My personal favorite are the cookies and cream ones, 180 calories and not only do they curb my hunger but also sweet cravings with only 1g of sugar.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I was craving a donut... and I bought one, enjoyed it, logged it, and kept living life. :smile: I don't think you should deprive yourself of what you crave. Just make it fit into your day.

As for the sugar "addiction"... I don't have the need to go down pounds of sugar (or any other sugar laden food for that matter) after having said donut. It was A donut, not drugs. You can have a drug addiction. You go to rehab for a drug addiction. I have never heard anybody go to rehab for a sugar addiction. :huh:
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Personally if I eat a spoonful of peanut butter I will be fine. But if I eat a cookie its like im fighting it all day. I can't just eat a few and go about my day. It's always there nagging me. I know its in the cabinet and its calling my name.
  • ducky653
    ducky653 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks! it's definitely not an addiction, I just can't help feeling the need to fit something sugary into my diet even though I know they're empty calories. I'm on 1400 calories a day right now, and it's easily screwed over by 100 calories here or there. I think I'll go with the Peanut Butter trick or just spend more time in the gym!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    @Lasmartchika I think it would be more in line with a behavioral addiction. And you behave well. That is great. :) A drug addition and behavioral addiction can have some of the same characteristics.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

If I counted right, +4
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ducky653 wrote: »
    Thanks! it's definitely not an addiction, I just can't help feeling the need to fit something sugary into my diet even though I know they're empty calories. I'm on 1400 calories a day right now, and it's easily screwed over by 100 calories here or there. I think I'll go with the Peanut Butter trick or just spend more time in the gym!

I like the way you think. You are on the right path. It isn't an addiction.

As stated, you will have to moderate, but do know you can have those things from time to time. Just make sure that you focus on getting your nutrients in.