SUGAR SuGAr SuGAr!!!

Options

Replies

• beauchampsara
    beauchampsara Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to be a hardcore junkie when it came to things like cookies, chips, and candy. Since I've started incorporating things into my diet such as raspberries, cherries, grapes - really sweet fruits, I haven't had a craving for candy like I used to. Since incorporating Cookie Dough, Cookies & Cream, and Double Chocolate Quest bars into my diet, I haven't been craving cookies and chocolate bars like I used to. In fact, I don't even think about them. I think finding a good substitute for those vices is a good idea if you can, especially if you're like me, the type of person who can't just have one when it comes to the "bad" stuff. Of course I occasionally eat that slice of cake or ice cream bar but I don't "crave" it anymore. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't particularly crave sweets, I expect because I include something sweet in moderation on days where it fits my calories. (Back when I was on lower calories it was a good incentive to exercise, although now I do TDEE method anyway.) :-) Usually this is ice cream immediately after dinner. Since I never feel like it's something I can't have, I tend not to think much about it, although I do enjoy it when I eat it. (Sometimes I have a protein bar during the day instead or some high quality chocolate or when I have my book club with my friend who bakes, whatever she happens to bake, which I plan for fit in to my day).

I also think that another reason I don't tend to crave things much is that I focus on eating a diet that satisfies me (lots of nutrient-dense foods, adequate protein and fat) and, especially, which is based around the foods I really like. (I'm lucky enough to have lots of foods that I both love and which are nutrient dense, but I think that should be the case for most, assuming you know or learn how to cook them properly.)

The last time I was really, really craving something was the week before Easter since I'd given up meat for Lent and was planning my Easter feast. I was quite looking forward to that lamb.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

Instead of trying to restrict yourself to the point of craving something, why not make room for it in your day.

The problem with addiction is not when you try to restrict yourself. It is there whether you restrict or not.

Cravings are not the same thing as an addiction. IMO

there is no such thing as sugar addiction.

craving does not equal addiction.

Yup.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    ducky653 wrote: »
    Thanks! it's definitely not an addiction, I just can't help feeling the need to fit something sugary into my diet even though I know they're empty calories. I'm on 1400 calories a day right now, and it's easily screwed over by 100 calories here or there. I think I'll go with the Peanut Butter trick or just spend more time in the gym!

A friendly reminder, make sure to properly measure the peanut butter. It is super calorie dense. Not taking into consideration your macros, if you are looking for a treat, and calories are primary concern, 1 serving of peanut butter (2 tablespoons) is roughly 200 calories, while 3 oreos are 160 calories. Just pointing it out to show its not too hard to fit in treats, if you want them.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Thanks! it's definitely not an addiction, I just can't help feeling the need to fit something sugary into my diet even though I know they're empty calories. I'm on 1400 calories a day right now, and it's easily screwed over by 100 calories here or there. I think I'll go with the Peanut Butter trick or just spend more time in the gym!

I eat roughly the same amount of calories, and I try to leave about 200 calories for a dessert every night. Lately I've been eating nature valley protein bars (190 calories) as a desert because they come in pb or chocolate varieties, but also add the extra protein I struggle to get. Win win. Prior to that, I used to eat a serving of Skinny Cow chocolate after dinner---for a mere 120 calories, it's a decent amount of chocolate and tastes good.
  • sixfarmhicks
    sixfarmhicks Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Instead of trying to restrict yourself to the point of craving something, why not make room for it in your day.

The problem with addiction is not when you try to restrict yourself. It is there whether you restrict or not.

if you have evidence of human trials showing a correlation between sugar and addiction, please post said research.

Here is one. Not difficult at all to find evidence of scientific clinical findings on the web.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    midpath wrote: »
    Personally if I eat a spoonful of peanut butter I will be fine. But if I eat a cookie its like im fighting it all day. I can't just eat a few and go about my day. It's always there nagging me. I know its in the cabinet and its calling my name.

strange, considering sugar = sugar...
  • ndj1979
    Options

if you have evidence of human trials showing a correlation between sugar and addiction, please post said research.

Human trials is the problem. Research in this area is in its infancy still. It takes just seconds to find something on other animals though.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2714381/
    I am pretty sure that you know this though.

I know that craving does not equal addiction. A craving is a strong desire for something. I have craving for a good book or tast burger. I don't feel physically ill when I don't get those.

I may crave certain types of sugar laden food, but I believe it is the sugar I have an issue with.

I'm of the opinion that just because science doesn't say it is so yet, it does not mean that there is not an addictive like response there.

Just because the doctor said I did not have celiac disease as a child, because I was not scawny and short for my age, does not mean I didn't have it. Science caught up and I was diagnosed 30 years later.

sorry rats/rodents do not equal humans..

and most of the designs of those studies have shown to be flawed either by methodology or dosage.
  • jaga13
    Options
    midpath wrote: »
    Personally if I eat a spoonful of peanut butter I will be fine. But if I eat a cookie its like im fighting it all day. I can't just eat a few and go about my day. It's always there nagging me. I know its in the cabinet and its calling my name.

I'm the opposite. I can eat a cookie and stop. PB is the love of my life and my sworn enemy :) No more spoons in the jar....I have a weighed portion as part of my daily breakfast.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    when I want something sugary, I eat it.

I usually do not have an issue as I leave a few hundred calories every day for ice cream, oreos, etc.

sugar in a calorie deficit does not make you gain weight, or hinder weight loss, and sugar can be a part of a healthy diet.
    when I want something sugary, I eat it.

I usually do not have an issue as I leave a few hundred calories every day for ice cream, oreos, etc.

sugar in a calorie deficit does not make you gain weight, or hinder weight loss, and sugar can be a part of a healthy diet.

cosigned!

And I have to be in because sugar threads always turn into dumpster fires and I have to put them out :)
  • jaga13
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

A friendly reminder, make sure to properly measure the peanut butter. It is super calorie dense. Not taking into consideration your macros, if you are looking for a treat, and calories are primary concern, 1 serving of peanut butter (2 tablespoons) is roughly 200 calories, while 3 oreos are 160 calories. Just pointing it out to show its not too hard to fit in treats, if you want them.

Someone recently pointed out that if you put the pb jar on a food scale, zero it out, then you can scoop out the grams you want on your spoon and not waste any. PB is precious (and yes, must be measured accurately!).
  • ndj1979
    Options

Here is one. Not difficult at all to find evidence of scientific clinical findings on the web.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

sorry, that is an animal study. I specifically asked for human trials.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    and just for fun I will put this here: http://www.clinicalnutritionjournal.com/article/S0261-5614(09)00239-8/abstract

By considering the relevant literature a series of predictions were examined, derived from the hypothesis that addiction to sucrose consumption can develop. Fasting should increase food cravings, predominantly for sweet items; cravings should occur after an overnight fast; the obese should find sweetness particularly attractive; a high-sugar consumption should predispose to obesity. More specifically predictions based on the hypothesis that addiction to sugar is central to bingeing disorders were developed. Dieting should predate the development of bingeing; dietary style rather than psychological, social and economic factors should be predispose to eating disorders; sweet items should be preferentially consumed while bingeing; opioid antagonists should cause withdrawal symptoms; bingeing should develop at a younger age when there is a greater preference for sweetness.

Results

The above predications have in common that on no occasion was the behaviour predicted by an animal model of sucrose addiction supported by human studies.

Conclusion

There is no support from the human literature for the hypothesis that sucrose may be physically addictive or that addiction to sugar plays a role in eating disorders.
  • jaga13
    Options
    OP, if you are looking to fit in a daily treat, at 1400 calories, I would suggest loosely following this breakdown:

Breakfast=300 calories
    Lunch=350
    Snack=200
    Dinner=350
    Treat=200

There aren't any rules, but if you know you're going to want it, find a way to budget your calories so you're left with a decent amount for anything you want.
  • jaga13
    Options
    Funny about sugar addiction: a relative visiting my house said she "couldn't" eat a certain food because she's addicted to sugar and will go crazy overeating if she has one of those particular items. I looked at the food's label: 0 sugar. She assumed there was sugar because of the type of food it was, but there isn't any. She just really likes it. That is different than "addiction"!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Human trials is the problem. Research in this area is in its infancy still. It takes just seconds to find something on other animals though.

I know that craving does not equal addiction. A craving is a strong desire for something. I have craving for a good book or tast burger. I don't feel physically ill when I don't get those.

I may crave certain types of sugar laden food, but I believe it is the sugar I have an issue with.

I'm of the opinion that just because science doesn't say it is so yet, it does not mean that there is not an addictive like response there.

Just because the doctor said I did not have celiac disease as a child, because I was not scawny and short for my age, does not mean I didn't have it. Science caught up and I was diagnosed 30 years later.

and most of the designs of those studies have shown to be flawed either by methodology or dosage.

Yes, I know rats do not equal humans, which is why I implied that finding human trials is a problem - we're not there yet. First we test on animals and then, when they find enough money and support, they move on to humans.

I would diasagree that most of the designs of those studies are flawed. Some are yes, but most? Not that I know of.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yes, I know rats do not equal humans, which is why I implied that finding human trials is a problem - we're not there yet. First we test on animals and then, when they find enough money and support, they move on to humans.

I would diasagree that most of the designs of those studies are flawed. Some are yes, but most? Not that I know of.

just review the above study that the user posted about rat model.

IT says that rates were deprived for 12 hours of food and then they were given access to a sugary substance for 12 hours a day. They then repeat this for thirty days.

What do you think the conclusion is.

Hmmm, after thirty days the rats showed signs of addictive behavior. Yea, because you deprived them of food for 12 hours a day for 30 days and gave them access to only sugar. So of course when you went back to a "normal eating pattern" they still chose the sugar, because animals act on instinct and they were trained over 30 days to feed on sugar and nothing else. So the design influenced the outcome.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I crave something sugary I have something sugary. Try to work on portion control instead of trying to restrict yourself. After tracking for a while you can get a pretty good idea of what your eating habits are. Adjust them to make room for the things you like.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    And I have to be in because sugar threads always turn into dumpster fires and I have to put them out :)

And why is this? People seem very protective of their sugar around here - I was quite surprised by this when I joined.

It's not as though people are saying that no one should eat sugar. Some of us are simply saying that sugar is a problem for us. For me, it is a medical issue too. If I save a few hundred calories for Oreos or ice cream, it will negatively impact my health. I don't think anyone has said that others should restrict it.

I've tried to explain that sugar appears to cause symptoms (in me) that are associated with addiction. I know there are no human trials to prove, or disprove, this because it hasn't been done yet, as far as I know. For me, it is more than a simple craving - those are easier to handle in my experience.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

It's not as though people are saying that no one should eat sugar.

There have been numerous threads that have popped up basically saying "sugar is the devil" and it should be avoided.

That being said, if someone is craving something sweet, I fully believe in trying to incorporate into the diet some how rather than making it a restriction. (pending medical conditions of course)