For those of you that Drink Diet Soda Everyday..............

Options

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I am posting other supporting articles. One of my jobs is as a Nutritional Educator and I will keep spreading the word. If I have touched just one person to say Hey, I need to put this stuff down.............I have done my job.
    To those of you that want to be sarcastic and pretty much make fun - I truly feel for you in the years to come as your only thinking of today and not your future health.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartHealth/diet-soda-linked-heart-attack-stroke-risk/story?id=12868269

http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/20110209/is-diet-soda-linked-to-heart-stroke-risk

http://www.everydayhealth.com/heart-health/news/diet-soda-linked-to-heart-attacks-and-stroke.aspx

http://www.naturalnews.com/031398_diet_soda_stroke.html

Ok...Direct Quote from the first article listed at abcnews.go.com

"But the questionnaire-based study garnered criticism by experts in diet, nutrition and vascular disease.

"This study has major flaws and should not change anyone's diet soda consumption," said ABC News Chief Health and Medical Editor Dr. Richard Besser. The researchers used data obtained though the multi-ethnic, population-based Northern Manhattan Study to examine risk factors for stroke, heart attack and other vascular events such as blood clots in the limbs. While 901 participants reported drinking no soda at the start of the study, 163 said they drank one or more diet sodas per day.

One of the many flaws here is that participants were asked about soda intake at only one point in time, when they entered the study," Besser said. "It is difficult to imagine that people's intake of soda is constant during that period."

Connie Diekman, a registered dietician and director of University Nutrition at Washington University in St Louis, said, "Population-based studies provide some 'food for thought' but shouldn't be used as the basis of nutrition guides for individuals. This study would be another one that indicates more controlled studies are needed."

As it says right in the article: Association is NOT Causation
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why so many people get offended when someone posts something that not everyone agrees upon. The OP stated that he/she is a Nutritional Educator. We are all here to live healthier lives, are we not? So if the OP thought that there was one thing he/she could recommend that would possibly help us out, why does she get such bad attitudes from all of you? Personally, I don't touch diet soda with a 12 foot pole. I gave up regular soda as well, I rarely drink it anymore. I know that diet soda has gotten a really bad rap, and regardless of whether it's bad for you, it certainly can't be GOOD for you either. So why bother? All I drink is water, and I feel much healthier for it. But I do not judge anyone else for their dietary habits. My own husband is a Sprite addict, and my Mom has been drinking Diet Pepsi for years, regardless of whether she was dieting or not. So I say to each their own, but can we please try to be mature and respectful, and act like the adults that we are? If you feel that the OP was being preachy, then that's just your opinion, you didn't need to read the post in the first place. Believe it or not, there are lots of people who think diet soda is healthy simply because the label says DIET! So if this post in anyway informed anyone of the "possible" dangers and health risks of regularly drinking soda/diet soda, then I think that's a great thing. For some people, only drinking one or two diet soda's a day is a HUGE step from where they may have started. So in that case it's the lesser of two evils and I respect them for making a decision to change whatever previous unhealthy habits they had.

I think it is because of how the OP treats others in many other posts. She has made quite a few enemies with her attitude towards others. I guess in a way I kind of see it as payback for how she treats many people here.

See? No personal attack, I restrained myself! I can has treat? :happy:

I see so, if one person acts like an a** that gives everyone an excuse to act like one? Seem childish and uncalled for. I was taught to treat others the way you would like to be treated and set the example for those who do not.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I was taught to treat others the way they deserve to be treated. I would say she is.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    New study just released!

People who wear XXXL shirts 80% more likely to die of heart-disease, stoke or falling over and being unable to get up.

Quick, get the word out! We must stop people from making and selling XXXL shirts! This is obviously causing these horrible effects!

And think of the children! Won't... someone... THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!?
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    it's the only way to curve my sweet tooth, without it i think i'll cheat so oh well, if God wants to send me a heart attack well I know i am strong enough, and He doesn't want that for me, so i think i'll continue drinking it
  • hairypete1138
    hairypete1138 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I generally only drink pop of any sort (usually diet coke, pepsi max or diet ginger ale) when I'm mixing it with Scotch or Vodka, so I'm aware I'm using a double-barrelled firing squad, and I just enjoy it in infrequent moderation.

the only thing I put in my vodka is more vodka :wink:
    I like your style!
  • crysthom
    crysthom Posts: 27
    Options
    Someone did tell me that Aspartame has Methanol in it. I do drink soda once in a while, but not nearly as often as I used to!
  • beccaschmitter
    Options
    New study just released!

People who wear XXXL shirts 80% more likely to die of heart-disease, stoke or falling over and being unable to get up.

Quick, get the word out! We must stop people from making and selling XXXL shirts! This is obviously causing these horrible effects!

And think of the children! Won't... someone... THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!?

LOL!!!! needed something to lighten this post up!!! and to the person that said they only add more vodka to their vodka, I LOVE your taste!!!
  • Jessanova
    Jessanova Posts: 16
    Options
    Geez, I'm sure a little bit of everything is essentially bad for you. Pick your poison.
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    What about soda without aspartame? The other sweeteners aren't that bad are they?

I definitely avoid aspartame , because of the health dangers mentioned.

I love coke,but I tend to stick to Tesco's version of coke zero(UK),which doesn't have aspartame.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The difference between regular and diet is about like the difference between regular tanning outdoors or in a tanning booth.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Someone did tell me that Aspartame has Methanol in it.

Someone told me that water can kill you. This is fun, let's get a good list of scaremongering nonsense going.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I'd like to see actual scientific peer reviewed studies that show that aspartame is going to kill me.
  • jabsmckee
    jabsmckee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Would I rather die on an empty stomach, or would I rather die hydrated?????
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Someone did tell me that Aspartame has Methanol in it.

Someone told me that water can kill you. This is fun, let's get a good list of scaremongering nonsense going.

Second hand smoke, been around it for years and I haven't died yet and don't have lung cancer. I used to smoke and I don't have lung cancer. Go figure. Smoking must be ok.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread but i just wanted to say pretty much everything can kill you right? I bet you are more likely to get run over by a bus before you will die from 1 or 2 glasses of pop a day. Jeeeeze.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    No smoking is not OK. My husband and I gave up smoking 26 years ago and he came down with throast cancer this past year.

He just completed his radiation and appears to be OK now.Who's knows for sure what cause it of course the doctor said more than liklely smoking did.Anyway It was no fun going for radaation every day for a month. Why take a chance I feel the same way about diet cokes....Why take a chance.................?
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Second hand smoke, been around it for years and I haven't died yet and don't have lung cancer. I used to smoke and I don't have lung cancer. Go figure. Smoking must be ok.

Your analogy is flawed. There is peer researched scientific evidence that clearly proves smoking has a carcinogenic effect.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Your analogy is flawed. There is peer researched scientific evidence that clearly proves smoking has a carcinogenic effect.

But I haven't gotten cancer so it won't affect me. Same with aspartame. Just because it affects some doesn't mean it will affect me. That is the logic that seems to be going on around here.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

But I haven't gotten cancer so it won't affect me. Same with aspartame. Just because it affects some doesn't mean it will affect me. That is the logic that seems to be going on around here.

No the logic is that it has not been proven that aspartame causes cancer just that it might,the same has been said for deoderant,cell phones,and many other things.Show me the study where it was proved without a doubt to cause cancer