Singing at the gym

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Singing (intentionally) and talking on the phone at the gym rank up there with no wiping down your machines as rude and entitled behavior.

If you need to socialize go outside. If you need to discuss something for work go outside.

Agreed.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    or whistling. no!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I have the same urge...but it's about an 8/10 on the annoying scale, so don't do it!

I find that sometimes it helps to add new music or to switch to podcasts instead for a while. I like Fresh Air, This American Life, Serial, The Gist and The Moth. Sometimes I listen to history podcasts too if I feel like I need more mental stimulation.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    a person singing in the gym would be extremely obnoxious
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    This is like the dudes who sit on the subway rapping to themselves with their dumb giant headphones on full blast and crooked. It's unbelievably annoying.

Or beatboxing. Uggggg.

You know who sounds good beatboxing? NOBODY.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Singing in the gym on a scale of 1-10 of annoying probably a 6, honestly people in general start at 6 because I have no desire to hear, see, or be bothered by people while im working out. People grunting and throwing weights I would love to take to a lumber yard, pick out a decent 2x4 and smack them over the head with it. :-)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If someone started singing loud enough for me to hear them over my loud music I would be really tempted to fire back with some singing of my own. If my singing doesn't offend them (and make my point about how annoying they are) then the lyrics definitely will.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    This is like the dudes who sit on the subway rapping to themselves with their dumb giant headphones on full blast and crooked. It's unbelievably annoying.

Or beatboxing. Uggggg.

You know who sounds good beatboxing? NOBODY.

This is true.

Thanks for your suggestion to try podcasts and radio programmes, I appreciate it :) Might be harder to count beats, but worth a try :)
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I sing at the gym also!!
    It just happens naturally especially when I'm listening to Zeppelin or the Stones. I don't belt it out so i figure it's no big deal. My gym always has the radio blaring and people hanging around chatting etc etc. It's the equivalent of talking and I am considerate if I feel myself getting carried away. And it happens alot when I'm listening to the live version of The Song remains the Same. I say live and let live. There are worse things you could do.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I sing at the gym occasionally too. But I don't wear headphones and just kinda hum along to the music on the speakers out loud. But I do it everywhere.. at the grocery store, doesn't matter.

I just hope that other people have their headphones in. I'm not especially loud. Sue me.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I was on my favorite treadmill at the Y yesterday and even though I was watching television and had earphones plugged in, I started hearing this grunting sound as I was almost finished. I tried to ignore it, but couldn't help but wonder who was grunting and why. It was driving me nuts. Finally I finished my hour, and it was someone on a stationary bike! He wasn't doing anything different than anyone else would do, but he was grunting very loudly (now that the earphones were off). I stared at him briefly, and he stared back at me, grunting louder than before. I guess some people just like calling attention to themselves.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I was on my favorite treadmill at the Y yesterday and even though I was watching television and had earphones plugged in, I started hearing this grunting sound as I was almost finished. I tried to ignore it, but couldn't help but wonder who was grunting and why. It was driving me nuts. Finally I finished my hour, and it was someone on a stationary bike! He wasn't doing anything different than anyone else would do, but he was grunting very loudly (now that the earphones were off). I stared at him briefly, and he stared back at me, grunting louder than before. I guess some people just like calling attention to themselves.

Calling attention to themselves? Well I don't know what that guy's deal was. Maybe he was in pain. I can't say, and neither can you.

As far as singing for attention, I don't want or need that kind of attention at the gym, that's got nothing to do with it.

Some people want and need to feel joy, now and then.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    However, I would like to reiterate that I have understood the core message that not everyone agrees that the gym is the place for that.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Usually a 9 or 10 but it depends on the singer and the song. I swim a lot so this isn't a big problem usually :)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Sing if you want to, all singing doesn't have to be loud

https://youtu.be/zj1FifK3bbg
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I'm doing extremely boring PT exercises there. I listen to music to get me through it - also to help pace myself / time movements, because I'd rush through them otherwise. But I am still so damn bored I often want to sing along. And I can, because I am not at all exerted by quad sets and bike on no resistance.

How annoying is hearing someone sing or hum at the gym on a scale of 1-10? Not super loud. (I have a decent voice, used to sing here and there, could be worse that way, but I don't think that matters if any singing or humming is intrusive.) I am mostly doing this in a room off to the side where there's just one or two other people, five at a time max.

On one hand I kind of care because it might bother some people. On the other hand, some of them throw their own music onto the public audio system, really loud, when they hit the sandbags, leave their water bottles on equipment and mats, and generally act snotty. So it's not as bad as it could be?

Also again I am so ****ing bored.

15? Is that a choice?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    However, I would like to reiterate that I have understood the core message that not everyone agrees that the gym is the place for that.

the gym is a place for working out, period.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you sound like the male toucan from the movie Rio and are not very loud, eh don't care so much. If you sound like the female toucan however I'd say put a cork in it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK6SkBbFepA

I sing a little bit, quietly to myself between sets or after I have done an intense bit of racquetball (granted I play by myself). I use it to gauge how hard I just worked and to beat the boredom. I also talk to myself. I tell myself I am doing a good job or that I can get one more lift in. Yes I know it is possible to think these things to myself, but there is something about actually hearing them out loud that pushes me harder.

If you aren't singing much louder than a normal talking voice and quieter than a cell phone conversation, I don't see that it should matter. People are having conversations all over the place and I think it is impractical to expect everyone to work out in silence, especially in a large gym.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Singing in the gym on a scale of 1-10 of annoying probably a 6, honestly people in general start at 6 because I have no desire to hear, see, or be bothered by people while im working out. People grunting and throwing weights I would love to take to a lumber yard, pick out a decent 2x4 and smack them over the head with it. :-)

Totally.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    At any volume?

Sometimes the quiet singers are even more annoying than the loud singers because they come across as a moan ... all you hear is this kind of moaning noise. Or, I don't know, maybe they are moaning!

This discussion has been closed.