Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Lunch for tomorrow!
    x6wq122jvfma.jpg
    Leftovers of ground turkey and vegetables with some guacamole on top of some spinach, with a poorly boiled egg, cheese stick, and snap pea crisps for snacks!

Snap pea crisps? Now that's new to me. And don't worry about the egg; most of mine are horribly peeled, but I put the nicest looking side to the surface for the picture ;)

Snap pea crisps are 7 shades of amazing!v3tlkow4hlak.jpg

• madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Snap pea crisps? Now that's new to me. And don't worry about the egg; most of mine are horribly peeled, but I put the nicest looking side to the surface for the picture ;)

I don't have a pot so I boiled it in the microwave...not the prettiest results haha

@SpecialKitty7 that's the brand I buy, too! One of my favorite snacks
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Next time I am at the store I'll grab a tub of vanilla yogurt. Thank you for the suggestion. I can eat the plain stuff, but it's a bit tart for my tastes. I might try it with honey some time.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I don't have a pot so I boiled it in the microwave...not the prettiest results haha

@SpecialKitty7 that's the brand I buy, too! One of my favorite snacks

I've just found out I can get snow pea crisps by some other brand here. They're flavoured with a whole range of crap (natural seafood flavouring? vitamin c? why?) which probably makes them taste nothing like snow peas at all...
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Thursday's bento. Salmon burger patties (new recipe I've tried that's totally delish!) on rice with veg, a marinated egg and a small pot of garlic aioli. About 630cal; its higher than normal but I need to last through until the end of my night class
    3iehpeunpdng.jpg
    The crab cakes post from earlier made me notice the recipe
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    olhtnsyizjj3.jpg

Today's bento:

Layer one: BBQ salmon with green beans, asparagus and smokey paprika garlic tartar sauce

Layer two: kale salad with mushrooms, carrots and avocado with pitted cherries. The avocado isn't pictured, I added it quickly this morning rather than last night when i made this :)
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thursday's bento. Salmon burger patties (new recipe I've tried that's totally delish!) on rice with veg, a marinated egg and a small pot of garlic aioli. About 630cal; its higher than normal but I need to last through until the end of my night class
    3iehpeunpdng.jpg

What's the salmon burger recipe? Those look delish!
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Chicken and rice with curry, carrots, cucumbers, and blueberries today.
    tq23g1rr7jsz.jpg
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My significant others lunch for today. Jasmine rice, french green beans, hard boiled egg, and lightly breaded chicken chunks. Plus the fruits. Mine was similar, I just couldn't get a pic of it. :(
    14aiibb.jpg
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    3iehpeunpdng.jpg

How exactly do you marinate a boiled egg? That sounds awesome.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    MOAR ONIGIRI! And what's that hiding under the edamame, you ask? Why yes, it IS a leftover buffalo wing! :) More pear slices - starting to brown a little - and kiwi stars/pieces in the small tier
    1g8twd62u42m.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    3iehpeunpdng.jpg

What's the salmon burger recipe? Those look delish!

Got the recipe through the mfp blog on burgers yesterday. The recipe is from a blog called 'Mantitlement' (I may have giggled a few times). Linky linky.

I replaced the parsley with dill (because parsley is the butt of all herbs to me) and splurged on red tinned salmon for the patties (they were on special). I'm sure normal pink salmon would be fine. Make sure the salmon is drained well otherwise the mix is soft and gooey, and if you want to do mini-patties (the recipe is for 4, I made 8 and they're still pretty big), maybe add an extra egg + a bit more panko for binding.
    3iehpeunpdng.jpg

How exactly do you marinate a boiled egg? That sounds awesome.

Boil egg, peel off shell. Stick in a ziplock bag or a small container and top up with whatever your preferred mix of soy, black tea, miso, mirin, sake that you prefer. Here's a basic recipe. And here's another, even lazier one!
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly, but you can use panko for binding things like burgers? I never even thought of that. What does it taste like (any different from normal bread crumbs)?
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm going to experiment for tomorrow's bento [which will be leftovers from tonight]. I'm making oyakodon, but I'm going to make enough to stuff some onigiri with the yummy chicken/egg combo! Let's hope it holds well enough together [using minimal nori], because that'll be just DELICIOUS. I need to order some veggie cutters, all those fruit and veg look delish on your pictures.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    bunnyxhime wrote: »
    This may sound silly, but you can use panko for binding things like burgers? I never even thought of that. What does it taste like (any different from normal bread crumbs)?

Panko is a breadcrumb that already has some fried qualities to it and has been seasoned. It can be used in place of any recipe that asks for breadcrumbs; I just think its a more popular ingredient to use at the moment.
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    I'm going to experiment for tomorrow's bento [which will be leftovers from tonight]. I'm making oyakodon, but I'm going to make enough to stuff some onigiri with the yummy chicken/egg combo! Let's hope it holds well enough together [using minimal nori], because that'll be just DELICIOUS. I need to order some veggie cutters, all those fruit and veg look delish on your pictures.

As long as the rice layer of your onigiri isn't too thin it shouldn't break apart, providing that you add more of the egg than chicken mix. Oily fillings give your onigiri more chance to break apart.
  • moribunny
    Options
    You're so knowledgeable (๑>◡<๑) thanks for the info!
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Onigiri is holding up well. Here is hoping it is super yummy tomorrow!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    You're so knowledgeable (๑>◡<๑) thanks for the info!

I guess it's what happens when you love food, and cooking it yourself. These days, its just more veg and lunches when before it was cupcakes and macarons.
  • moribunny
    Options
    Well your love shows through your pics for sure (your fitting of foods in the bento always looks so nice)! Another question for you if you don't mind, do you prefer to heat up your bentos, eat at room temp, or cold?
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Well your love shows through your pics for sure (your fitting of foods in the bento always looks so nice)! Another question for you if you don't mind, do you prefer to heat up your bentos, eat at room temp, or cold?

From a traditional standpoint, a bento should be designed to be eaten at room temperature (that's also the reason that most bento boxes aren't overly microwave friendly), which is why it's suggested that you don't have any rare meats, softboiled eggs, etc.

Personally, I plan 99% mine for room temperature, just because I'm lazy. I don't need to microwave it, nor do I need to put it in the fridge (I just dump my bento bag on my desk in the morning). On occasion I'll have curry rice or something similar in cold weather, and then I use a microwave safe click bowl.

The neat placement of veg in the box is actually strategic, with the exception of the one or two pieces I place on the surface of the box for the pretties. There are bits of brussell sprout keeping the salmon patties from moving about in the box, the sauce cup is placed on top of capsicum and surrounded by broccoli to stop it moving, and a similar scenario with the egg to stop it getting squished.

A much earlier poster in this thread (I can't remember when, and am not going through 60 pages of posts lol) showed the best way to see if your box is packed tightly and properly. If you're confident, stand your box on it's side without the lid on. If nothing falls out, it's packed properly. Pretty much means that if you had to jog to work/school/wherever, if you open your box when you get there, it'll look the same as when you packed it.

Once again, this doesn't apply to everyone. I tend to lean towards the more traditional Japanese recipes (just because it's what my tastebuds prefer), which work very well with room temp and tightly packed meals. I also use tiny boxes, so if I want enough food, I have to pack them properly.