Singing at the gym

Options

Replies

• richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I wear earphones at the gym so if someone was singing I wouldn't hear it anyway. I don't think it should be a problem unless the people around you are uptight.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lip sync. it's what i do

worries me that you get so bored...can´t you add weight to those squads or resistance or something? I doubt you¿ll get good results with a workout that lets you sing full throttle
    I can't really talk well after my squats xD

thank you :) not at the moment - i am trying to rehab an MCL sprain in one knee (over patellofemoral syndrome and osteoarthritis in both, which have become more painful.) Also have chronic issues in shoulder and wrist, but until now have been able to do resisted cardio and very light resistance work ( using the cable machine, resistance bands, and very light bars), but my knees told me off the other week, so I'm def listening to them (and doc) now. :)

(i listened to doc before, it's just the body wouldn't cooperate. so i am being very strict with myself.)

(but also i am not singing at full volume, i must have given the wrong impression here somewhere.)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Grunting and dropping weights don't bother me at all, but singing? Humming? Whistling? Those drive me over the edge. And I want to know what brand of headphones the people who are flippantly suggesting them use.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I'm doing extremely boring PT exercises there. I listen to music to get me through it - also to help pace myself / time movements, because I'd rush through them otherwise. But I am still so damn bored I often want to sing along. And I can, because I am not at all exerted by quad sets and bike on no resistance.

How annoying is hearing someone sing or hum at the gym on a scale of 1-10? Not super loud. (I have a decent voice, used to sing here and there, could be worse that way, but I don't think that matters if any singing or humming is intrusive.) I am mostly doing this in a room off to the side where there's just one or two other people, five at a time max.

On one hand I kind of care because it might bother some people. On the other hand, some of them throw their own music onto the public audio system, really loud, when they hit the sandbags, leave their water bottles on equipment and mats, and generally act snotty. So it's not as bad as it could be?

Also again I am so ****ing bored.

Now lets get back to the OPs question. they said sing or hum, not really loud. Not like they are at a concert. Unless you're standing right next to them, how would that distract or annoy anyone?

I'm on the elliptical for an hour, so I get to do a lot of people watching, and the things people do is just amazing annoying and distracting, I'm probably guilty of some of it myself. I've had the grunters, singers, and talkers beside me, I just get in my zone and keep it moving.

• tomatoey
    Options
    almost every single person at my gym wears headphones, I haven't asked them which brand they use.

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I read or use my phone between sets.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    This is like the dudes who sit on the subway rapping to themselves with their dumb giant headphones on full blast and crooked. It's unbelievably annoying.

Or beatboxing. Uggggg.

You know who sounds good beatboxing? NOBODY.

This is true.

Thanks for your suggestion to try podcasts and radio programmes, I appreciate it :) Might be harder to count beats, but worth a try :)

Biz Markie, Doug E. Fresh, and Matisyahu would disagree.

PS. I would probably enjoy it if someone beat-boxed at the gym.

pro beat-boxers are another story, also good non-pro beatboxers. i haven't heard too many of the latter
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Grunting and dropping weights don't bother me at all, but singing? Humming? Whistling? Those drive me over the edge. And I want to know what brand of headphones the people who are flippantly suggesting them use.

I use these, and they're pretty good at blocking out sound.
    http://en-us.sennheiser.com/momentum-headphones-in-ear
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options

I use beats Bluetooth ear buds.

• cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    There are a lot more annoying things going on at the gym than someone having a sing-along. If you want to hum or sing along go for it
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I'm doing extremely boring PT exercises there. I listen to music to get me through it - also to help pace myself / time movements, because I'd rush through them otherwise. But I am still so damn bored I often want to sing along. And I can, because I am not at all exerted by quad sets and bike on no resistance.

How annoying is hearing someone sing or hum at the gym on a scale of 1-10? Not super loud. (I have a decent voice, used to sing here and there, could be worse that way, but I don't think that matters if any singing or humming is intrusive.) I am mostly doing this in a room off to the side where there's just one or two other people, five at a time max.

On one hand I kind of care because it might bother some people. On the other hand, some of them throw their own music onto the public audio system, really loud, when they hit the sandbags, leave their water bottles on equipment and mats, and generally act snotty. So it's not as bad as it could be?

Now lets get back to the OPs question. they said sing or hum, not really loud. Not like they are at a concert. Unless you're standing right next to them, how would that distract or annoy anyone?

I'm on the elliptical for an hour, so I get to do a lot of people watching, and the things people do is just amazing annoying and distracting, I'm probably guilty of some of it myself. I've had the grunters, singers, and talkers beside me, I just get in my zone and keep it moving.

ah, we (including me) should all be more like you! :)

I think there is something uniquely irritating, to some, about (what they feel are) intentional human noises, and some people are just more sensitive all around, I get it.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I think there is something uniquely irritating, to some, about (what they feel are) intentional human noises, and some people are just more sensitive all around, I get it.

Some people react more strongly to environmental stimuli than others. I get easily overwhelmed by sensory input, and while I can tune out occasional noises (coughing, grunting with a difficult effort), a continual low-level noise (like hearing the off-tune noise from someone's earbuds, or singing or humming, or a one-sided phone conversation) can very quickly become almost intolerable. I get that many people can tune it out, but not everyone *can*. I pick gyms that do not play music, do not have TV on in the background, for this very reason. Thus, anyone who then comes in and sings/talks on the phone/blasts music on their headphones so loud that others can hear it is especially bothersome.

Perhaps a factor that is not being fully explored here is gym atmosphere. Those who have chosen to join and continue to go to a gym that has a lot of background sounds may be more receptive to others' incidental noise than those who . . . chose to go to gyms that default to quiet.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Some people react more strongly to environmental stimuli than others. I get easily overwhelmed by sensory input, and while I can tune out occasional noises (coughing, grunting with a difficult effort), a continual low-level noise (like hearing the off-tune noise from someone's earbuds, or singing or humming, or a one-sided phone conversation) can very quickly become almost intolerable. I get that many people can tune it out, but not everyone *can*. I pick gyms that do not play music, do not have TV on in the background, for this very reason. Thus, anyone who then comes in and sings/talks on the phone/blasts music on their headphones so loud that others can hear it is especially bothersome.

Perhaps a factor that is not being fully explored here is gym atmosphere. Those who have chosen to join and continue to go to a gym that has a lot of background sounds may be more receptive to others' incidental noise than those who . . . chose to go to gyms that default to quiet.

oh, sure - i am not using "sensitive" in a disparaging way. (am familiar with HSP-ness, I think that's what you're describing? )
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    cad39too wrote: »
    There are a lot more annoying things going on at the gym than someone having a sing-along. If you want to hum or sing along go for it

This. Exactly!!!!

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I sing to myself all the time, at work, at the gym, walking down the street. I give zero f***s. If you gotta do something to entertain your self then do it!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    10. Your voice, even if it is good, will ruin my train of thought and greatly reduce the pleasure of my workout. It may even mean I leave more annoyed and stressed than I arrived.

well this sounds like a personal problem. go ahead and sing. carpe diem

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Why should one person possibly ruin or make less pleasant the workouts of half a dozen people?
  • salstg
    salstg Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I slap the air bass when running on the treadmill. That seems to get more reaction than when I sing out loud for a couple of lines. I think they're just concerned for my safety. LOL!
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    sk1982 wrote: »
    i dont sing out loud but i sing in my head and sometimes mouth the words....its all about the intention and not the actual doing i find that helps....i also make funny movements with my hands along with the beat....

LOL You must be my running twin! I run on an indoor track, and I was about to suggest the same thing, as I lip-sync all of the songs I'm listening to, do air drums or guitar solos with my hands... I look crazy, but when I need motivation I make myself laugh and keeping it fun helps me go longer.

On that note, does anyone have the impulse to make airplane arms when rounding corners on a run? Yeah, I keep myself amused (but veeeerry quiet). I figure it's easier to look away than block your ears.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Oh, I sing at the top of my lungs when I do Zumba...but I know all of the words (for the songs in Spanish and Portuguese, at least) and nobody can hear me over the music. :)
This discussion has been closed.