females lifting heavy get bigger -_-

Options

Replies

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am confused by your family's definition of bulky. In general, bulky means taking up more space, right?

Keep lifting weights (because it sounds like that's what you want to do). Track your measurements. You tell me whether or not they increase and hence, you actually meet the definition of "bulky." I bet you they won't.

Maybe to them bulky = showing muscles? My mom has said to me its not feminine when I flex, but I don't give a crap. While my muscles are getting bigger (or I guess I should say more visible) with heavy lifting, my measurements are all going down. To me that sounds like the opposite of bulky. It's your body - you should decide whether or not you want to build the muscles, but either way, I think muscles = bulky makes no sense.
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    I have an opposite but similar problem. My mom likes to pick out little things that I'm already insecure about. When I was in high school she constantly pointed out my acne, and if I put on a little weight she always pointed it out, if I was ever upset about something she always asked me if I was on my period (surely, as a woman she should know that you should NEVER ask that!). I'm not sure why she did all of that, but I'm almost sure the weight thing was because she was thin in high school and college and pretty much until a couple years after she had me. I think she's just worried that I'll end up obese and unhappy with myself like she is, which is understandable but I think she could have been nicer and less annoying about it. But the plus side is that she's really supportive when I do lose weight. BUT I don't lose weight because she thinks I should, or because anyone else tells me I should. I work out, eat better, and lift because I love it! A lot of people have mentioned that you probably wont get bulky eating a deficit, which is true, but no matter where you end up it's YOUR body, and it's the one you have to live in for your whole life, not them. Learn to love yourself, inside and out and realize that other people's idea of what you should look like doesn't matter.

Thank you. I'm trying to learn to love myself, really am. Congrats to you for being so confident with your mom doing that to you. You're mentally strong! I'm sorry your mom does that to you. My mom doesn't acknowledge when I lose weight and tells me I can't fit into her wedding dress because she was much smaller than me when she was my age (and then I put it on and it fit perfectly x not tight either). So you're lucky that she is encouraging you in some way. I get in my own had way too much and think too much. I think in reality I'm my worst enemy. I'm really trying not to be. Thank you so much for sharing with me though!! :grin:
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    leannems wrote: »
    I am confused by your family's definition of bulky. In general, bulky means taking up more space, right?

Keep lifting weights (because it sounds like that's what you want to do). Track your measurements. You tell me whether or not they increase and hence, you actually meet the definition of "bulky." I bet you they won't.

Maybe to them bulky = showing muscles? My mom has said to me its not feminine when I flex, but I don't give a crap. While my muscles are getting bigger (or I guess I should say more visible) with heavy lifting, my measurements are all going down. To me that sounds like the opposite of bulky. It's your body - you should decide whether or not you want to build the muscles, but either way, I think muscles = bulky makes no sense.

Thank you! I'm going to do that. I was actually trying to find a notebook earlier so i could track everything and really know my progress. I'm glad you don't listen to your mom! Great for you! :blush:
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hi. Let me start with I'm 5'8, 176#, about 26% body fat, and enjoy challenging myself with weight lifting. I'm not petite and my family won't let me forget it. My profile pic is from last year when I was 11 pounds lighter and lifting.I'm getting back on track after losing 11 pounds on weight watchers and not liking how my body looked from just cardio and deficit in calories. So, I joined the juice head gym by me because it's cheap and has a lot of great equipment. It's only been a week but I'm really excited and proud of how determined I am and how I feel like I know what I'm doing with my form and what whatever. I'm also following iifym and tracking everything. Ihave already lost 2.2 more pounds in this first week.

That being said, my family is discouraging me because I'm very muscular (with chub on top) and have a larger bone structure (wide shoulders). I have my mother's horrendous arms that run in my family like you wouldn't believe, a naturally xlarge behind, and strong, big, thighs. I've been an athlete through college so I have a lot of strength for a girl. So far I sound gigantic. But, my waist is rather small, and my knees and elbows down are boney. So in short - I'm a bulky girl. I'm not fat but I'm not the kind of girl you say is thin either. I'd like to get smaller overall but keep my proportions for the most part because they make me feel feminine. My family is telling me when regular (petite) girls lift heavy they can look good but not me because I've got a large frame. They are getting in my head and after going to the beach yesterday all I could see were my bulky, non-petite flaws and I need confirmation that I'm doing the right thing. I'd really love (I really need) some insight on this! Thanks mfps

In addition to working out, you should work on your mindset.

What is wrong with being "bulky" or looking/being strong? If it makes YOU happy, then that is all that matters. Your family doesn't understand, so like most people who don't...they just talk. Ignore it, and do what makes you happy regardless of the approval of others.

10, 000 X This ^^ I got half way through reading OPs post, and was just so very stricken with how much self-body shaming was going on. Like, what in the actual eff?? In what world is the girl in the pic "chub"? Stop listening to your family OP, they are clearly deluded.

• salstg
    salstg Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    gotta lift like Ken to look like Barbie!
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    kimdbro wrote: »
    Hi. Let me start with I'm 5'8, 176#, about 26% body fat, and enjoy challenging myself with weight lifting. I'm not petite and my family won't let me forget it. My profile pic is from last year when I was 11 pounds lighter and lifting.I'm getting back on track after losing 11 pounds on weight watchers and not liking how my body looked from just cardio and deficit in calories. So, I joined the juice head gym by me because it's cheap and has a lot of great equipment. It's only been a week but I'm really excited and proud of how determined I am and how I feel like I know what I'm doing with my form and what whatever. I'm also following iifym and tracking everything. Ihave already lost 2.2 more pounds in this first week.

That being said, my family is discouraging me because I'm very muscular (with chub on top) and have a larger bone structure (wide shoulders). I have my mother's horrendous arms that run in my family like you wouldn't believe, a naturally xlarge behind, and strong, big, thighs. I've been an athlete through college so I have a lot of strength for a girl. So far I sound gigantic. But, my waist is rather small, and my knees and elbows down are boney. So in short - I'm a bulky girl. I'm not fat but I'm not the kind of girl you say is thin either. I'd like to get smaller overall but keep my proportions for the most part because they make me feel feminine. My family is telling me when regular (petite) girls lift heavy they can look good but not me because I've got a large frame. They are getting in my head and after going to the beach yesterday all I could see were my bulky, non-petite flaws and I need confirmation that I'm doing the right thing. I'd really love (I really need) some insight on this! Thanks mfps

In addition to working out, you should work on your mindset.

What is wrong with being "bulky" or looking/being strong? If it makes YOU happy, then that is all that matters. Your family doesn't understand, so like most people who don't...they just talk. Ignore it, and do what makes you happy regardless of the approval of others.

10, 000 X This ^^ I got half way through reading OPs post, and was just so very stricken with how much self-body shaming was going on. Like, what in the actual eff?? In what world is the girl in the pic "chub"? Stop listening to your family OP, they are clearly deluded.

The pic is my goal for now which is what I looked like when I did iffym almost two years ago. I was 9 pounds lighter. I do know I need to work on myself mentally. My family is hard on me I'm not going to speak with them on this anymore. Thanks for your insight :smile:
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    salstg wrote: »
    gotta lift like Ken to look like Barbie!

:smiley:
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Thank you for the support! I'm not sure where to start with competing, or if this is the right time. But thank you for suggesting it, I'll keep it in mind!

Regardless of whether you ever compete, there is a great community of lifters out there waiting to embrace another sister who loves the iron. Social media is a good place to start. You are gorgeous, strong and the type of lady I want my daughters looking up to!

• Kriistabell
    Options

Thank you for the support! I'm not sure where to start with competing, or if this is the right time. But thank you for suggesting it, I'll keep it in mind!

Regardless of whether you ever compete, there is a great community of lifters out there waiting to embrace another sister who loves the iron. Social media is a good place to start. You are gorgeous, strong and the type of lady I want my daughters looking up to!

Thank you so much!
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Your body is amazing, I mean, it keeps you alive right,and you can do stuff and run and lift and have fun.

We all must accept and love ourselves as we are,this doesn't mean we can't try to get fit,but like, I was sad my whole life that I was buttless,literally,it was like an inward curve,sooo weird, and well, I was sure it'd stay like that,so imagine my joy when those squats brought...a lil roundie firm butt!! but it'd be silly for me to expect to get Jloish haha even if I'm latin, so like, worry not,workout hard, eat well and if some things you don't like too much see how much can they be tweaked around. :3

True! Nothing is set in stone! I can tweak things to my own liking. Congrats on your booty gains!!

Hahaha thanks you are too kind,so go out there,experiment safely and see what you can do with that you have and what you can get :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    points at quads
    *flexes*

looks back

says- how much did you squat this morning again?

yes- yes I can eat that.

And move on.
  • ramepithecus
    ramepithecus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You sound pretty awesome to me. I'd go for the weights and rock it like a goddess if I were you.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    The idea behind that picture is good - but WTF with the little 2-3 lb dumbbell? No wonder people have so many misconceptions regarding fitness.

Guess it wouldn't look "womanly" to show what she actually lifts...likely about ten times that much.
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    You sound pretty awesome to me. I'd go for the weights and rock it like a goddess if I were you.

Thank you! I like the way you think :grimace:
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Also, another example you'll see pop up from time to time here on MFP:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

Left was taken when she was 131lbs, the right is her 11lbs heavier (142lbs). And she deadlifts 300lbs+ as well.

Wow just wow, that is kinda the type of body I'd like to have, oh my so so so amazing and 300lbs <3<3

AWESOME
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    Read this, and show it to your family:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/sallytamarkin/am-i-right-ladies

Shamelessly stolen from this thread ( http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33111158#Comment_33111158 ):
    hhk8bs8a8wk1.jpg

Both require dedication ... the left also requires significant supplementation.

Pretty sure the pic on the right required some surgery. Not that there's anything wrong with surgery if that's what you want.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Shamelessly stolen from this thread ( http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33111158#Comment_33111158 ):
    hhk8bs8a8wk1.jpg

Pretty sure the pic on the right required some surgery. Not that there's anything wrong with surgery if that's what you want.

surgery where?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

hhk8bs8a8wk1.jpg

surgery where?

implants
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

hhk8bs8a8wk1.jpg

surgery where?

implants

:lol: That what you are looking at during the comparison.
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Strong and athletic are a turn on for many people. Stay the course, your profile picture says it all. Keep fighting. Relatives often are uninformed about health and fitness so you will have to forgive their ignorance.