Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Mmmm all that onigiri makes me drool!

Tomorrows lunch is steamed salmon, rice, gyoza, carrot and broccoli. In the small yellow bottle is some dumpling sauce

3z7mq9yyccfu.jpg
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like the sound of the strategic approach. Before I began doing research and merely saw bento (in real life but also a lot of anime lol), people would be pretty rough with the bento in their bags, and some boxes were unharmed (as if they carried it in their hands), others were pretty destroyed. So veggies and other items serving so many purposes in bento is neat to me!

I was reading an article and it brought up how many people eat their bentos at room temperature, including meats and the like, it's just so many people are used to things (at least in the US) being either very hot or very cold that they don't appreciate a meal can be good at room temperature. And I realized I was brought up with this same mindset. I am the cook in my house, and whenever I cook, one of my main concerns is starting dishes at different times to try and make them done around the same time and thus as hot as they can be. Now I'm wondering if that isn't as important.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    bunnyxhime wrote: »
    I like the sound of the strategic approach. Before I began doing research and merely saw bento (in real life but also a lot of anime lol), people would be pretty rough with the bento in their bags, and some boxes were unharmed (as if they carried it in their hands), others were pretty destroyed. So veggies and other items serving so many purposes in bento is neat to me!

I was reading an article and it brought up how many people eat their bentos at room temperature, including meats and the like, it's just so many people are used to things (at least in the US) being either very hot or very cold that they don't appreciate a meal can be good at room temperature. And I realized I was brought up with this same mindset. I am the cook in my house, and whenever I cook, one of my main concerns is starting dishes at different times to try and make them done around the same time and thus as hot as they can be. Now I'm wondering if that isn't as important.

It depends on the food, its prep, and your personal preferences, which will be influenced by your culture to a degree. There are some foods I can eat at any temp (shrimp, hot dogs, and pizza come quickly to mind) but others that I can't stomach at the "wrong" temp, like chicken, couscous, or beef. Preparation also matters: rice prepared as onigiri or sushi-style I can eat at any temp; if it's cooked with spices and oil, it has to be hot for me to get it down. And personal preferences are huge too: my own mother can nom cold chicken like nothing (which I think is gross) but cannot stomach cold pizza. If you want to try bentos at room temperature, start with foods you know you'll eat without heating. A good line of thought is, "What would I take on a picnic/hike/boat?"
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    3mam3fa69xya.jpg
    Funnily enough, when I was putting the strap on one of my boxes tumbled to the floor! No spillage but ruined the semi-pretty

Squash and zucchini fritters with snap peas on a bed of spinach, tuna salad, and red pepper slices. Not pictured: quest bar and apple. All inclusive (the not pictured items) it comes to 753 calories, with the lunch portion being 487. A little heavier than I normally eat but I had a killer workout this morning (otherwise I would have nixed the quest bar).
  • moribunny
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bunnyxhime wrote: »

It depends on the food, its prep, and your personal preferences, which will be influenced by your culture to a degree. There are some foods I can eat at any temp (shrimp, hot dogs, and pizza come quickly to mind) but others that I can't stomach at the "wrong" temp, like chicken, couscous, or beef. Preparation also matters: rice prepared as onigiri or sushi-style I can eat at any temp; if it's cooked with spices and oil, it has to be hot for me to get it down. And personal preferences are huge too: my own mother can nom cold chicken like nothing (which I think is gross) but cannot stomach cold pizza. If you want to try bentos at room temperature, start with foods you know you'll eat without heating. A good line of thought is, "What would I take on a picnic/hike/boat?"
    What a wonderful explanation/outlook on it! Thank you ^__^
    I really like the picnic style food idea as a beginner myself. I think I'll start there (since they are similar to normal lunches with sandwiches and stuff), and work my way around trying out different things to see which foods I enjoy that I can pack in my bento.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Lunch today was chicken and sugar snap peas with soy sauce; steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots; cottage cheese; and a grilled onigiri roll. When I took everything out of the fridge today I noticed my onigiri was still a bit frozen, so I thought I would finally try out grilling one. It was so tasty, I think that will end up doing more often now. The nori did not want to stick, but I put it on anyways because the onigiri felt a little oily to the touch (even though I only used a little bit of cooking spray).
    ewz3s82plneq.jpg
  • moribunny
    Options
    Grilled onigiri sounds really good! I feel silly because I don't think of simple little changes like grilling onigiri instead of eating it plain although I make fried rice all the time >.<;
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    uzj9wlbp1qa3.jpg

Today's bento:

Layer one: Sushi! (ham, carrots, and basil goat cheese roll ups :wink: ) and blanched broccoli and carrots

Layer two: arugula and spinach salad with carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, and gorgonzola. Also pitted cherries and a coffee yogurt that is not pictured.
  • EyesDimTonight
    EyesDimTonight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Made my first attempt at a bento box today, even though I was eating at home. XD It all just looks so cute in the little box! I found it easy enough to fill the width and length of the box, but failed miserably at filling it to the top. That just seems like too much food in a 650ml box :/

6l1mcf54xbuu.jpg

Theres basmati rice, tuna with a soy sauce coating/glaze/idk, half an avocado, carrots (that really should have been blanched for longer, a quarter of an apple and some blueberries. Came out to 407 calories.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I forgot to take a picture before I started eating, so there's just one lone little shrimp tucked in there next to the onigiri; I had more around the buffalo wings to keep them from moving. Salad in the small tier with balsamic vinaigrette (not pictured) for a total of 480 calories.
    4fqdk063p6ow.jpg
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Guys. GUYS. The oyakodon-leftovers onigiri was just... Oh my gooood. I wish I had made more than two. Next idea is to do the same, but also grill it.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Damnit, now I'm going to have to go buy some chicken mince
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Guys. GUYS. The oyakodon-leftovers onigiri was just... Oh my gooood. I wish I had made more than two. Next idea is to do the same, but also grill it.

*drool*
    I did make a bento for yesterday, but ended up being taken out for lunch. It was a salmon pattie with rice and salad. Forgot to take a pic :(
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Chicken and rice with curry, carrots, cucumbers, and blueberries today.
    tq23g1rr7jsz.jpg

Hello...... I'm ShortMrsN.......long time lurker, first time poster....... bento virgin.......

Last night I bought my first bento box....2 in fact, 1 each for the husband and I. The one in the photo above (so cute!) I know they are on the small side but we both need to cut back on our portion sizes!
    I look forward to lurking a bit longer then hopefully sharing my own bento boxes :smiley:
  • mangrothian
    Options
    ShortMrsN wrote: »

Chicken and rice with curry, carrots, cucumbers, and blueberries today.
    tq23g1rr7jsz.jpg

Hello...... I'm ShortMrsN.......long time lurker, first time poster....... bento virgin.......

Last night I bought my first bento box....2 in fact, 1 each for the husband and I. The one in the photo above (so cute!) I know they are on the small side but we both need to cut back on our portion sizes!
    I look forward to lurking a bit longer then hopefully sharing my own bento boxes :smiley:

No, come back! We don't want you to go back to lurking anymore! Come towards the light!
    c8g8r9g9ur03.jpg
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options

No, come back! We don't want you to go back to lurking anymore! Come towards the light!
    c8g8r9g9ur03.jpg
    I have to wait 3-4 weeks for my boxes to arrive :( But I will still be here.....watching.... :wink:
    Love love love all the gorgeous boxes!!

• mangrothian
    Options
    ShortMrsN wrote: »

c8g8r9g9ur03.jpg
    I have to wait 3-4 weeks for my boxes to arrive :( But I will still be here.....watching.... :wink:
    Love love love all the gorgeous boxes!!

3-4 weeks? Where are you ordering them from? Antarctica?
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine from China, along with a bunch of other stuff, all at once... I already got my egg molds! They arrive surprisingly quick.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    A lot of my stuff is coming from china or Japan, (i live in uk) and some of it arrived quite quickly, but some seems to have taken ages. But my onigiri moulds and vegetable cutters have arrived so i can make pretties
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    Okay @mangrothian and @SpecialKitty7 I've finally made a bento. Go easy, first attempt an all :D

6p1oqdv39hke.jpg
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I use bento for my toddler - I could see the appeal :) Just don't typically do it for myself too.