Options

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you have ever been to a rock concert, but it generally involves a lot of jumping... which I would consider exercise

Snort! NOPE, we don't have them here in America!
    Again, I would consider this already accounted for in my activity level. You asked the question and aren't liking the answer that the majority of the people on this board are going to provide. You will find people here that log cooking and cleaning as well, I'm sure they'll be along soon.

you realize I am an American right? I only said that because of the comments that it's counted in my activity level... I am WAY more active at a concert than I would be most other days.

Also, I don't log things I do every day like cooking and cleaning. but I suppose a lot of you would say I shouldn't have logged helping my boyfriend move even though I know I burned over 1000 calories doing so.

I guess the thing I'm really concerned about is that for a 3+ hour concert full of jumping and dancing I'm afraid that I'm not going to eat ENOUGH. But at the same time I don't want to over eat in an attempt to avoid under eating. I know one day wont throw me off, but as @sllrunner said I try to be as accurate as possible which is why I'm just looking for some ballpark numbers.

so i repeat...eat a day at maintenance level!!!!!!!!!!
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    None, logging isn't about trying to figure out how many extra calories you can eat if you do such and such and activity that isn't exercise related. They are about estimates for daily averages to help guide you. Use it as a time to burn a little bonus fat if you want to think of it that way.
    it is exercise related, see previous comments... I intend for it to be my cardio for the day

So why ask if you decided what to do?
    log it have fun move on.

... I thought it was pretty obvious form the beginning that I plan for it to be cardio... what I'm asking is HOW MUCH.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any of you have ever been to a rock concert, but it generally involves a lot of jumping... which I would consider exercise

Again, I would consider this already accounted for in my activity level. You asked the question and aren't liking the answer that the majority of the people on this board are going to provide. You will find people here that log cooking and cleaning as well, I'm sure they'll be along soon.

you realize I am an American right? I only said that because of the comments that it's counted in my activity level... I am WAY more active at a concert than I would be most other days.

Also, I don't log things I do every day like cooking and cleaning. but I suppose a lot of you would say I shouldn't have logged helping my boyfriend move even though I know I burned over 1000 calories doing so.

I guess the thing I'm really concerned about is that for a 3+ hour concert full of jumping and dancing I'm afraid that I'm not going to eat ENOUGH. But at the same time I don't want to over eat in an attempt to avoid under eating. I know one day wont throw me off, but as @sllrunner said I try to be as accurate as possible which is why I'm just looking for some ballpark numbers.

Nahhhh.....that's way overestimated. :)
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    White boy rap is typically negative calories. Better eat light
    lolzzz this is the 3th time today that you almost spit my coffee over my keyboard....what a waste of some good coffee!

• KateSimpson17
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    None, logging isn't about trying to figure out how many extra calories you can eat if you do such and such and activity that isn't exercise related. They are about estimates for daily averages to help guide you. Use it as a time to burn a little bonus fat if you want to think of it that way.
    it is exercise related, see previous comments... I intend for it to be my cardio for the day

Okay, I'm curious. Why did you post this question when clearly your mind is already made up?

I know I'm logging it as cardio (I thought that was obvious from the original post) I'm asking HOW MUCH
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode becomes possible while listening to it.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Starvation mode becomes possible while listening to it.

bwahahahaha lol

• KateSimpson17
    Options

... have you ever listened to Fall Out Boy?
  • BWBTrish
    Options

Okay, I'm curious. Why did you post this question when clearly your mind is already made up?

I know I'm logging it as cardio (I thought that was obvious from the original post) I'm asking HOW MUCH

depends on how high you jump for how long and before 9PM or after?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

LOL.....oh no you don't, you're not using my comment about striving for accuracy to backup your plan to log something that is obviously not to be logged as exercise. Why? Because that is inaccurate, and there is not way to get accuracy anyway.

If you just eat at maintenance instead of a deficit, you will be just fine.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Just because you think it's exercise, doesn't mean it is. Just because you're tired, doesn't mean you burned extra calories. Stand all day at work and you will feel tired, but you didn't burn enough calories to count. Chop veggies, and cook for hours, same thing.

Just go, enjoy the concert, and don't worry about how many calories to log. Trust me, your body doesn't care what you enter into MFP, your body calculates your burns without any help from your brain.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

I'm not looking for specifics. I'm looking for ballpark. I said that from the beginning. I realize that there is NO WAY I can be exact about this... I'm looking at eating at maintenance... is there a formula for that?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Technically, no it's not considered exercise it's considered non-exercise but the difference is often a matter of interpretation e.g. an athlete wouldn't considered a game exercise under this definition, as far as I know, because it's part of their normal activity. If you want to count it as dancing ok, but I would lower the actual time since you aren't going to be jumping around the whole time.

I would be very conservative with logging since we have a lot of people here who log a lot of things as extra activities but then complain they can't lose.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    omg that is what i said in the first place eat at maintenance level...sighs

my posting about how high and how long and after 9PM is joking
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

LOL.....oh no you don't, you're not using my comment about striving for accuracy to backup your plan to log something that is obviously not to be logged as exercise. Why? Because that is inaccurate, and there is not way to get accuracy anyway.

If you just eat at maintenance instead of a deficit, you will be just fine.

Please don't twist what I'm saying. I've stated several times that I realize I can't be accurate, I was just acknowledging that I LIKE to be accurate... Ballpark numbers is a representation of that...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

70 kg * 9.8m/s^2*.5m /.25 in kcal
    The .25 represents an assumption that a human jump is 25% efficient.
    This gives 0.32791587 kilocalories (dietary calories are actually KILOcalories in proper metric units). So just multiple your number of jumps by about .32, there you go, rough estimate of your calorie burn.
    Feel free to replace with your own values for mass and jump height that you feel is more appropriate, but that 9.8m/s^2 is firm.

Damn that Law of Gravity stuff!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Nope, didn't look, as it's irrelevant to the question.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

Technically, no it's not considered exercise it's considered non-exercise but the difference is often a matter of interpretation e.g. an athlete wouldn't considered a game exercise under this definition, as far as I know, because it's part of their normal activity. If you want to count it as dancing ok, but I would lower the actual time since you aren't going to be jumping around the whole time.

I would be very conservative with logging since we have a lot of people here who log a lot of things as extra activities but then complain they can't lose.

Last time I checked dancing and jumping both qualify as exercise... just because I'm doing it at a concert venue instead of at the gym doesn't mean it's not exercise.
  • BWBTrish
    Options

Last time I checked dancing and jumping both qualify as exercise... just because I'm doing it at a concert venue instead of at the gym doesn't mean it's not exercise.

so log it as such ...sighs

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm not looking for specifics. I'm looking for ballpark. I said that from the beginning. I realize that there is NO WAY I can be exact about this... I'm looking at eating at maintenance... is there a formula for that?

Are you using a Fitbit? Wear the Fitbit and let that handle the adjustment.

Otherwise, the answer is 42.

ETA: For your maintenance calories use: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
This discussion has been closed.