Options
    Well, this derailed quickly.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    None, logging isn't about trying to figure out how many extra calories you can eat if you do such and such and activity that isn't exercise related. They are about estimates for daily averages to help guide you. Use it as a time to burn a little bonus fat if you want to think of it that way.
    it is exercise related, see previous comments... I intend for it to be my cardio for the day

Technically, no it's not considered exercise it's considered non-exercise but the difference is often a matter of interpretation e.g. an athlete wouldn't considered a game exercise under this definition, as far as I know, because it's part of their normal activity. If you want to count it as dancing ok, but I would lower the actual time since you aren't going to be jumping around the whole time.

I would be very conservative with logging since we have a lot of people here who log a lot of things as extra activities but then complain they can't lose.

Last time I checked dancing and jumping both qualify as exercise... just because I'm doing it at a concert venue instead of at the gym doesn't mean it's not exercise.
    Running is also exercise, but I don't try to time how long I have to chase my kids each day - it isn't exercise.
    If you go by the MFP database, typing is an exercise.
    If you go by the MFP database, sex is an exercise, and if you're having it to eat an extra sandwich, I think you've lost the plot somewhere.

of course not, that's something you do every day. You probably considered that when you made your activity level.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, one day of eating at maintenance isn't going to derail you. You've got yourself set to losing 1.5 pounds per week as per your previous posts if I remember correctly, which means you're eating at a deficit of 750 calories per day, so your maintenance is 1950.

If you really need to have a quantifiable caloric burn log it as dancing and knock off 30% or 40% of whatever MFP tells you the burn is since it grossly overestimates. I doubt you'll burn more than your daily deficit total.

6 or one half dozen. Same thing.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    None, logging isn't about trying to figure out how many extra calories you can eat if you do such and such and activity that isn't exercise related. They are about estimates for daily averages to help guide you. Use it as a time to burn a little bonus fat if you want to think of it that way.
    it is exercise related, see previous comments... I intend for it to be my cardio for the day

Okay, I'm curious. Why did you post this question when clearly your mind is already made up?

I know I'm logging it as cardio (I thought that was obvious from the original post) I'm asking HOW MUCH

depends on how high you jump for how long and before 9PM or after?

I'm not looking for specifics. I'm looking for ballpark. I said that from the beginning. I realize that there is NO WAY I can be exact about this... I'm looking at eating at maintenance... is there a formula for that?

Are you using a Fitbit? Wear the Fitbit and let that handle the adjustment.

Otherwise, the answer is 42.

ETA: For your maintenance calories use: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

1) no I don't have a fitbit :/
    2) nice reference
    3) THANK YOU for the actual helpful info

If you're using a iPhone or Android, there's apps that will count steps. Not as accurate, but decent. Jumping and steps are close enough would be close enough from an exercise viewpoint.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you have ever been to a rock concert, but it generally involves a lot of jumping... which I would consider exercise

Snort! NOPE, we don't have them here in America!
    Again, I would consider this already accounted for in my activity level. You asked the question and aren't liking the answer that the majority of the people on this board are going to provide. You will find people here that log cooking and cleaning as well, I'm sure they'll be along soon.

you realize I am an American right? I only said that because of the comments that it's counted in my activity level... I am WAY more active at a concert than I would be most other days.

Also, I don't log things I do every day like cooking and cleaning. but I suppose a lot of you would say I shouldn't have logged helping my boyfriend move even though I know I burned over 1000 calories doing so.

I guess the thing I'm really concerned about is that for a 3+ hour concert full of jumping and dancing I'm afraid that I'm not going to eat ENOUGH. But at the same time I don't want to over eat in an attempt to avoid under eating. I know one day wont throw me off, but as @sllrunner said I try to be as accurate as possible which is why I'm just looking for some ballpark numbers.

Nope, didn't look, as it's irrelevant to the question.

Then you shouldn't have made the statement as it was rude.

Insinuating no one but you had ever been to a concert was rude.
    I never insinuated that. If I had said "You obviously haven't ever been to a concert" I could see that. But that's not what I said.

well it wasnt nice to start of with
    There is a high possibility as wife of a musician that i saw more concerts in my life than you ever can imagine.

I'm the partner of a professional musician, so I've probably been sitting right next to you as he plays his guitar and sings and doesn't count the calories as extra. :)

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know this is a really weird question and it's going to be kind of difficult to answer. Next Tuesday I'm going to a Fall Out Boy concert, and I want to know how many calories I should put as my burn.
    I always expel a lot of energy at concerts, and I know there's not really a way to determine exactly how many calories I will burn, but I want to get a ballpark number just to help me keep on track.
    I've had people recommend I just make it a "cheat day" and not worry about it, but a "cheat day" to me implies that I'm dieting.
    Anyway, anyone is free to spitball

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Here now you can look it up

nztk3f5w2bpw.jpg
    lol what
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any of you have ever been to a rock concert, but it generally involves a lot of jumping... which I would consider exercise
    I never insinuated that. If I had said "You obviously haven't ever been to a concert" I could see that. But that's not what I said.

It's not called "calling people out", it's called you being snarky because you don't like the answers the majority of people are giving you. You've also been told if you HAVE to log something then go ahead, but we're not agreeing that it's exercise.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

Again, I would consider this already accounted for in my activity level. You asked the question and aren't liking the answer that the majority of the people on this board are going to provide. You will find people here that log cooking and cleaning as well, I'm sure they'll be along soon.

you realize I am an American right? I only said that because of the comments that it's counted in my activity level... I am WAY more active at a concert than I would be most other days.

Also, I don't log things I do every day like cooking and cleaning. but I suppose a lot of you would say I shouldn't have logged helping my boyfriend move even though I know I burned over 1000 calories doing so.

I guess the thing I'm really concerned about is that for a 3+ hour concert full of jumping and dancing I'm afraid that I'm not going to eat ENOUGH. But at the same time I don't want to over eat in an attempt to avoid under eating. I know one day wont throw me off, but as @sllrunner said I try to be as accurate as possible which is why I'm just looking for some ballpark numbers.

There is a high possibility as wife of a musician that i saw more concerts in my life than you ever can imagine.

I never said you hadn't. I basically asked a question. From the responses I got it sounded like people expected me to just do normal activity at a concert.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPVrFIP0CMs
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ok the concert part is important to you - and i really hope you have a good time - but it's less relevant as far as energy balance etc. it's still just dancing. i don't know what kind of dancing you'll do, so i guess use your judgement when you look for it, but that's the part your body cares about.

don't log the time you are not dancing though
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

I never said you hadn't. I basically asked a question. From the responses I got it sounded like people expected me to just do normal activity at a concert.

No, we just know that you won't be burning enough calories to log. But obviously, you don't believe that, therefore you believe none of us know what's what.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

It's not called "calling people out", it's called you being snarky because you don't like the answers the majority of people are giving you. You've also been told if you HAVE to log something then go ahead, but we're not agreeing that it's exercise.

I wasn't snarky to anyone. I'm sorry if it came across that way. Frankly, you comment "snort" on a lot of things, which I would consider much ruder (and intentionally rude) than anything I've said.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Stop *sighing* at me. It's very rude. I am trying to get more information on your advice. I asked if there was a formula for maintenance, so far you haven't given me an answer.

Interesting

what's interesting? That I call people out when they're being rude? I'm sorry.

I don't believe anyone has been intentionally rude. Factual yes, and that's sometimes not appreciated when it's delivered in so matter-of-fact a fashion so I can see that you might not enjoy that but it's not rude to point out issues with your reasoning since you asked the question.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    ok the concert part is important to you - and i really hope you have a good time - but it's less relevant as far as energy balance etc. it's still just dancing. i don't know what kind of dancing you'll do, so i guess use your judgement when you look for it, but that's the part your body cares about.

don't log the time you are not dancing though

This and the recommendations of eating at maintenance are the advice that I've been looking for. Thank you.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    Stop *sighing* at me. It's very rude. I am trying to get more information on your advice. I asked if there was a formula for maintenance, so far you haven't given me an answer.

Interesting

what's interesting? That I call people out when they're being rude? I'm sorry.

I don't believe anyone has been intentionally rude. Factual yes, and that's sometimes not appreciated when it's delivered in so matter-of-fact a fashion so I can see that you might not enjoy that but it's not rude to point out issues with your reasoning since you asked the question.

anyone that puts "snort" or "sigh" in their post is intentionally implying that I'm being ridiculous or stupid. If that's not what they mean by it, then I would suggest they reconsider how they present themselves.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

No, we just know that you won't be burning enough calories to log. But obviously, you don't believe that, therefore you believe none of us know what's what.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that if I'm dancing and jumping for 3+ hours, even with quite a few breaks, I'm going to be burning more calories than I do when I walk for exercise. So should I not be counting that either?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I wasn't snarky to anyone. I'm sorry if it came across that way. Frankly, you comment "snort" on a lot of things, which I would consider much ruder (and intentionally rude) than anything I've said.
    anyone that puts "snort" or "sigh" in their post is intentionally implying that I'm being ridiculous or stupid. If that's not what they mean by it, then I would suggest they reconsider how they present themselves.

Actually, snort is me agreeing with or laughing at a post. I do it to my friends constantly as it's part of my trademark in posting. Although it's irrelevant, nor in anyway does it minimize your snarky response. Additionally, I've been here quite some time and I like how I present myself just fine. For you to attack me in such a manner, is unacceptable, again reiterating that you must be new here.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm going to go ahead and assume that if I'm dancing and jumping for 3+ hours, even with quite a few breaks, I'm going to be burning more calories than I do when I walk for exercise. So should I not be counting that either?

The problem is that it's only one day so you will burn a few extra calories but you would be surprised how few net calories you actually burn. If you burn 500 additional (i.e. net) calories over that 3 hours that's really good. Running will give you 2/3 x body weight in net calories burned per mile. That's not a lot when you think of it and walking is 1/3 x body weight. Dancing is going to be closer to running but you don't dance continuously because you don't have the stamina and their are frequent breaks. I imagine you'll be lucky to do the equivalent burn of 2 miles of running per hour.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

It's the difference between purposeful exercise which has well understood calculations with well understood limitations, and activity that is not organized or and can't be estimated with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

Either way it becomes a case of "majoring in the minors". You can instead eat to your maintenance level, have fun at the concert, and go back to your routine the next day.

This discussion has been closed.