Concert!

Options

Replies

• KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    I wasn't snarky to anyone. I'm sorry if it came across that way. Frankly, you comment "snort" on a lot of things, which I would consider much ruder (and intentionally rude) than anything I've said.
    anyone that puts "snort" or "sigh" in their post is intentionally implying that I'm being ridiculous or stupid. If that's not what they mean by it, then I would suggest they reconsider how they present themselves.

Actually, snort is me agreeing with or laughing at a post. I do it to my friends constantly as it's part of my trademark in posting. Although it's irrelevant, nor in anyway does it minimize your snarky response. Additionally, I've been here quite some time and I like how I present myself just fine. For you to attack me in such a manner, is unacceptable, again reiterating that you must be new here.

I feel like "you must be new here" is meant to be an insult. I'm sorry that I recently decided to make a change in my life. I called you out because I felt you were being rude by saying "snort". Perhaps you didn't mean for it to be rude, but it definitely came across that way, especially combined with the sarcasm of "we don't have concerts in america".
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any of you have ever been to a rock concert, but it generally involves a lot of jumping... which I would consider exercise

Snort! NOPE, we don't have them here in America!
    Again, I would consider this already accounted for in my activity level. You asked the question and aren't liking the answer that the majority of the people on this board are going to provide. You will find people here that log cooking and cleaning as well, I'm sure they'll be along soon.

you realize I am an American right? I only said that because of the comments that it's counted in my activity level... I am WAY more active at a concert than I would be most other days.

Also, I don't log things I do every day like cooking and cleaning. but I suppose a lot of you would say I shouldn't have logged helping my boyfriend move even though I know I burned over 1000 calories doing so.

I guess the thing I'm really concerned about is that for a 3+ hour concert full of jumping and dancing I'm afraid that I'm not going to eat ENOUGH. But at the same time I don't want to over eat in an attempt to avoid under eating. I know one day wont throw me off, but as @sllrunner said I try to be as accurate as possible which is why I'm just looking for some ballpark numbers.

Nope, didn't look, as it's irrelevant to the question.

Then you shouldn't have made the statement as it was rude.

Insinuating no one but you had ever been to a concert was rude.
    I never insinuated that. If I had said "You obviously haven't ever been to a concert" I could see that. But that's not what I said.

well it wasnt nice to start of with
    There is a high possibility as wife of a musician that i saw more concerts in my life than you ever can imagine.

I never said you hadn't. I basically asked a question. From the responses I got it sounded like people expected me to just do normal activity at a concert.

No, we just know that you won't be burning enough calories to log. But obviously, you don't believe that, therefore you believe none of us know what's what.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that if I'm dancing and jumping for 3+ hours, even with quite a few breaks, I'm going to be burning more calories than I do when I walk for exercise. So should I not be counting that either?

You do you, and I'll do me. Log whatever you want for your burn.

For me, I will continue to not log things that I know do not burn a significant number of calories, like strength training, cooking, cleaning, etc. I know that for me, my method works. I achieved my weight loss goals, and still weigh the exact same as my low, 5 months later.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    ok the concert part is important to you - and i really hope you have a good time - but it's less relevant as far as energy balance etc. it's still just dancing. i don't know what kind of dancing you'll do, so i guess use your judgement when you look for it, but that's the part your body cares about.

don't log the time you are not dancing though

This and the recommendations of eating at maintenance are the advice that I've been looking for. Thank you.

no problem
    I don't know if any of you have ever been to a rock concert, but it generally involves a lot of jumping... which I would consider exercise

Again, I would consider this already accounted for in my activity level. You asked the question and aren't liking the answer that the majority of the people on this board are going to provide. You will find people here that log cooking and cleaning as well, I'm sure they'll be along soon.

you realize I am an American right? I only said that because of the comments that it's counted in my activity level... I am WAY more active at a concert than I would be most other days.

Also, I don't log things I do every day like cooking and cleaning. but I suppose a lot of you would say I shouldn't have logged helping my boyfriend move even though I know I burned over 1000 calories doing so.

I guess the thing I'm really concerned about is that for a 3+ hour concert full of jumping and dancing I'm afraid that I'm not going to eat ENOUGH. But at the same time I don't want to over eat in an attempt to avoid under eating. I know one day wont throw me off, but as @sllrunner said I try to be as accurate as possible which is why I'm just looking for some ballpark numbers.

I never insinuated that. If I had said "You obviously haven't ever been to a concert" I could see that. But that's not what I said.

There is a high possibility as wife of a musician that i saw more concerts in my life than you ever can imagine.

I never said you hadn't. I basically asked a question. From the responses I got it sounded like people expected me to just do normal activity at a concert.

No, we just know that you won't be burning enough calories to log. But obviously, you don't believe that, therefore you believe none of us know what's what.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that if I'm dancing and jumping for 3+ hours, even with quite a few breaks, I'm going to be burning more calories than I do when I walk for exercise. So should I not be counting that either?

log it, why not, if you're really going to be kicking up your heels and sweating. except i bet the breaks will be a lot longer than you think they'll be. 3 hours - 3 trips to the concession stand, probably 2 bathroom breaks (there will be huge lineups), i don't know, maybe costume changes, plus sometimes you'll get tired. i would log it as one hour, to be on the safe side.

the options in the database are belly dancing, line dancing, various kinds of ballroom dancing, and aerobic/ballet/modern/twist (?). if you're going to be actually jumping, i would log it as 30 minutes aerobic, otherwise bellydancing maybe, and 30 minutes maybe line dancing, because you're going to have some slow songs in there, probably.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I wasn't snarky to anyone. I'm sorry if it came across that way. Frankly, you comment "snort" on a lot of things, which I would consider much ruder (and intentionally rude) than anything I've said.
    anyone that puts "snort" or "sigh" in their post is intentionally implying that I'm being ridiculous or stupid. If that's not what they mean by it, then I would suggest they reconsider how they present themselves.

Actually, snort is me agreeing with or laughing at a post. I do it to my friends constantly as it's part of my trademark in posting. Although it's irrelevant, nor in anyway does it minimize your snarky response. Additionally, I've been here quite some time and I like how I present myself just fine. For you to attack me in such a manner, is unacceptable, again reiterating that you must be new here.

I believe she is new here. Tonight I have read another thread she was involved in and I'm not impressed. Op does not want to listen to anyone here. I don't think she should post on any more threads tonight. Op maybe you just need to go to bed. Rude or not, someone needed to say this to you. Goodnight.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

I feel like "you must be new here" is meant to be an insult. I'm sorry that I recently decided to make a change in my life. I called you out because I felt you were being rude by saying "snort". Perhaps you didn't mean for it to be rude, but it definitely came across that way, especially combined with the sarcasm of "we don't have concerts in america".

Maybe instead she meant that if you'd been here long enough, you'd know her well enough to know her personality.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

The problem is that it's only one day so you will burn a few extra calories but you would be surprised how few net calories you actually burn. If you burn 500 additional (i.e. net) calories over that 3 hours that's really good. Running will give you 2/3 x body weight in net calories burned per mile. That's not a lot when you think of it and walking is 1/3 x body weight. Dancing is going to be closer to running but you don't dance continuously because you don't have the stamina and their are frequent breaks. I imagine you'll be lucky to do the equivalent burn of 2 miles of running per hour.

2 miles of running per hour seems like a lot to me. Sure, if I was actually running I would cover more than 2 miles in an hour, but if I'm basically running 6 miles in one evening that seems like pretty big thing to me when I have my activity level at lightly active? I promise I'm not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely trying to figure out where you're coming from.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    ok the concert part is important to you - and i really hope you have a good time - but it's less relevant as far as energy balance etc. it's still just dancing. i don't know what kind of dancing you'll do, so i guess use your judgement when you look for it, but that's the part your body cares about.

don't log the time you are not dancing though

This and the recommendations of eating at maintenance are the advice that I've been looking for. Thank you.

no problem

log it, why not, if you're really going to be kicking up your heels and sweating. except i bet the breaks will be a lot longer than you think they'll be. 3 hours - 3 trips to the concession stand, probably 2 bathroom breaks (there will be huge lineups), i don't know, maybe costume changes, plus sometimes you'll get tired. i would log it as one hour, to be on the safe side.

the options in the database are belly dancing, line dancing, various kinds of ballroom dancing, and aerobic/ballet/modern/twist (?). if you're going to be actually jumping, i would log it as 30 minutes aerobic, otherwise bellydancing maybe, and 30 minutes maybe line dancing, because you're going to have some slow songs in there, probably.

Thanks! This is very helpful
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

It's the difference between purposeful exercise which has well understood calculations with well understood limitations, and activity that is not organized or and can't be estimated with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

Either way it becomes a case of "majoring in the minors". You can instead eat to your maintenance level, have fun at the concert, and go back to your routine the next day.

I think a lot of these posts are getting lost in the mix. Very solid.
  • Debmal77
    Options

Maybe instead she meant that if you'd been here long enough, you'd know her well enough to know her personality.

Exactly.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »

I believe she is new here. Tonight I have read another thread she was involved in and I'm not impressed. Op does not want to listen to anyone here. I don't think she should post on any more threads tonight. Op maybe you just need to go to bed. Rude or not, someone needed to say this to you. Goodnight.

I'm sorry you're not impressed with me. That seems to be a personal problem. This is my thread. "New here" should NOT be an insult. You can stay off my threads in the future if you are going to say such things. Goodbye
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Are you new to the concept of being someone new to a group / organization too?
    Also, you caught that it was sarcasm, but still felt the need to mention you're American?
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

ok, if that's the case there are tons of new people here every day... she can't get offended every time someone takes her "snort" and sarcasm as rude.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

ok, if that's the case there are tons of new people here every day... she can't get offended every time someone takes her "snort" and sarcasm as rude.
    Oh that part didn't offend me at all. Made my night actually!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

The problem is that it's only one day so you will burn a few extra calories but you would be surprised how few net calories you actually burn. If you burn 500 additional (i.e. net) calories over that 3 hours that's really good. Running will give you 2/3 x body weight in net calories burned per mile. That's not a lot when you think of it and walking is 1/3 x body weight. Dancing is going to be closer to running but you don't dance continuously because you don't have the stamina and their are frequent breaks. I imagine you'll be lucky to do the equivalent burn of 2 miles of running per hour.

2 miles of running per hour seems like a lot to me. Sure, if I was actually running I would cover more than 2 miles in an hour, but if I'm basically running 6 miles in one evening that seems like pretty big thing to me when I have my activity level at lightly active? I promise I'm not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely trying to figure out where you're coming from.

I'm trying to give you the reasoning why you will not burn as many calories as you think by showing you that you have already accounted for a lot of calories in your baseline. The problem a lot of people get themselves into is that they don't realize that they are double counting calories by logging a full boat of calories in an non-exercise activity when many of those calories are already accounted for since they are given as gross rather than net in the exercise compendium that they use on these sites.

I'm sorry if this has a lot of new information but the topic is rather complex but the long and short is that you have to be careful what you log and how much because you are already accounting for some of those calories in your activity level.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Are you new to the concept of being someone new to a group / organization too?
    Also, you caught that it was sarcasm, but still felt the need to mention you're American?

the sarcasm was in the "we don't have concerts in America" which implies that I am not American (which is not offensive, but untrue)
  • Debmal77
    Options
    Don't forget to flag the other comment.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'm the partner of a professional musician, so I've probably been sitting right next to you as he plays his guitar and sings and doesn't count the calories as extra. :)

Drummer and singer here ;)

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'm the partner of a professional musician, so I've probably been sitting right next to you as he plays his guitar and sings and doesn't count the calories as extra. :)

Drummer and singer here ;)

Cool!

I can't sing, and the only thing I drum are my fingers.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

I'm trying to give you the reasoning why you will not burn as many calories as you think by showing you that you have already accounted for a lot of calories in your baseline. The problem a lot of people get themselves into is that they don't realize that they are double counting calories by logging a full boat of calories in an non-exercise activity when many of those calories are already accounted for since they are given as gross rather than net in the exercise compendium that they use on these sites.

I'm sorry if this has a lot of new information but the topic is rather complex but the long and short is that you have to be careful what you log and how much because you are already accounting for some of those calories in your activity level.

I'm really confused by this. So since my baseline is low should I be counting anything that burns less calories than my daily calorie goal?
    By your calculation I would still be burning more calories than I do in my usual daily exercise.
This discussion has been closed.