Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The idea of starting StrongLifts 5x5 really appeals to me, but I just don't have access to the equipment. I'm not interested in joining and gym and trying to find someone to spot me and I'm not interested in buying all of that equipment for my house and convincing my husband to spot me.
  • WMLizard
    WMLizard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just find it boring. I do it, in fits and spurts. The actual movement is fine, but having to rest between sets drives me nuts! I'm just impatient and want to spend my time at the gym DOING something, not waiting around. Also annoying when racks and benches are taken and you have to wait again. So really, just impatience.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Currently, I do body weight training (You are your own gym). I'm only on level 2 of 4 levels, so I have a while before I "top out" on his program. I still find it very challenging and have seen strength gains since starting the program.

I do like the fact that I'm moving my body around (push ups, pulls ups, etc), which is kind of the point of building strength anyway. I want to be able to pull myself up over a wall (or whatever). It just seems practical to me.

I would do more actual weight training, but don't have the equipment or the gym membership. Our gym membership will need to be renewed in October, I might reassess then.
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Cardio is like meditation for me. It centers me, clears my mind, and is a huge stress reliever. I'd like to get into strength training at some point, but I need to figure out how to add it in without decreasing the cardio. Be mentally, I need the cardio.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    I want to try weightlifting but I have chronic back issues (mild scoliosis) as well as shoulder and elbow issues (intermittent bursitis) so I'm afraid of injury. I do resistance training now, but I really like the high energy that comes with doing cardio and high intensity interval training. Am looking into joining a crossfit "box" that will scale the workouts for me and not bug me about not eating Paleo.

Whoa, I would think twice about doing crossfit if you have bursitis and scoliosis... lifting heavy for time and reps seems like it would be a really bad idea, in that case. I mean I don't know what "scaling" means in that context but still...

I actually really like lifting, but can't do much with it right now bc of some injuries, doing mostly bodyweight stuff until I can.

Before I tried it, I thought it was the definition of absurdity (like someone said, "pick crap up just to put it down again, seems pointless"). But once I had a go, I found there was something weirdly satisfying in whatever feelings were happening in the muscles used. I hope I'm able to do it again soon.

I've been wondering about this. I'm gonna go talk to a crossfit gym or two and then evaluate whether or not this is for me.

On a related note...can you reduce bodyfat and strengthen muscles by doing other types of strength training besides lifting? i.e. Bodyweight exercises and resistance training? I mean, I know you won't get as much result as lifting, but are these a good alternative if injuries or other issues keep you from lifting?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I want to try weightlifting but I have chronic back issues (mild scoliosis) as well as shoulder and elbow issues (intermittent bursitis) so I'm afraid of injury. I do resistance training now, but I really like the high energy that comes with doing cardio and high intensity interval training. Am looking into joining a crossfit "box" that will scale the workouts for me and not bug me about not eating Paleo.

Whoa, I would think twice about doing crossfit if you have bursitis and scoliosis... lifting heavy for time and reps seems like it would be a really bad idea, in that case. I mean I don't know what "scaling" means in that context but still...

I actually really like lifting, but can't do much with it right now bc of some injuries, doing mostly bodyweight stuff until I can.

Before I tried it, I thought it was the definition of absurdity (like someone said, "pick crap up just to put it down again, seems pointless"). But once I had a go, I found there was something weirdly satisfying in whatever feelings were happening in the muscles used. I hope I'm able to do it again soon.

I've been wondering about this. I'm gonna go talk to a crossfit gym or two and then evaluate. Might not be good for me.

Talk to your doctor. I'm sure they can recommend places to try and exercises that will work well for you. That way, you get insight on what types of exercises and weights would be good for you and what to avoid.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I've been wondering about this. I'm gonna go talk to a crossfit gym or two and then evaluate whether or not this is for me.

On a related note...can you reduce bodyfat and strengthen muscles by doing other types of strength training besides lifting? i.e. Bodyweight exercises and resistance training? I mean, I know you won't get as much result as lifting, but are these a good alternative if injuries or other issues keep you from lifting?

Progressive resistance is the best, and there are several bodyweight programs you can do including you are your own gym and convict conditioning.

Either way, I'd think about consulting with a physical therapist or a doctor before starting a new exercise program just to get clearance for what you choose.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership because a) cost and b) I don't live near one and my husband and I share a vehicle. I also don't do well when workouts last longer than 30-40 minutes from start to finish. Doing videos I have at home whenever I want without any other people around to annoy me works great. I am currently addicted to Shaun T. These sort of workouts make me feel like I am being super efficient with my time and I am getting great results. The most I lift is 8 lbs.

Eventually I will get bored of this I'm sure. Maybe then I'll look into gym memberships. They are just so dang expensive around here.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I do both cardio and weight lifting. I am a cardio junkie so now I get between 30 - 45 minutes or so of cardio (usually running fast), first and then I do Strong lifts 5x5. The change in my body compsition is just amazing and it's even ramped up my cardio sessions. It's given me additional strength and focus in MMA as well. I didn't get into lifting before because I had no idea what I was doing. I read about SL 5x5, downloaded the spread sheet and the app and just went for it. Now I'm confident when I walk into a weight room... even if I am not lifting as much as the men there. The gyms I go to they seem to encourage and support women so it's all good :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have some 45 lbs dumbbells, but it's uncomfortable for squats, and they only go in 5 pounds increments so moving up weights takes a very long time. My gym kinda sucks and they won't let you use the heavy barbells unless you're with a trainer (plus honestly, there's only one rack, and I hate having to wait). Also I do a lot of cardio and my legs/glutes pretty much always hurt, which makes squats and deadlifts pretty difficult anyway.

The main reason though is that I just hate it. I find it horribly boring and repetitive. With cardio I can listen to my music and zone out (plus the treadmills at the gym have Solitaire on them), but I can't with weights because I have to focus on my form and count reps... I still do it occasionally, but frankly I'd rather do dishes or laundry. Plus I like moving... not standing in place lifting stuff.

I wish I liked it though, I know that's where the results are... but I have to be honest with myself and admit that I'll just never be able to stick to it long enough to get results anyway. Plus it's really only my hips and belly that I don't like, but I have a bunch of loose skin anyway so the belly is a lost cause, and my genetics are pretty much thin limbs and all fat in the hips and stomach anyway, and it would take more work than I'm willing to do to fix it just for vanity issues. I like my legs and arms at least!
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For those people who don't have access to a gym, I suggest buying Kettlebells. Here is a good resource for you, if you're interested. Reddit - Kettlebells FAQ
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've been doing strength & weight training for almost five years now along with cardio stuff. I'm thinking of upping the ante though and trying the 5x5 program.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Well, I do lift weights, because I know that I need to do so. I've done it since my teens, so it's just normal for me.

However, I can see two big issues:

1. Cleanliness--so few people practice proper hygiene! Weight rooms can be kind of disgusting.
    2. Chauvinism. In a lot of places, men very deliberately try to make women feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. Mostly, I lift more than these men...once they are put in their place, they leave me alone. You have to have a certain kind of personality and dedication to deal with that kind of crap though.

dumbbells might just be the filthiest thing on earth
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Well, I do lift weights, because I know that I need to do so. I've done it since my teens, so it's just normal for me.

1. Cleanliness--so few people practice proper hygiene! Weight rooms can be kind of disgusting.
    2. Chauvinism. In a lot of places, men very deliberately try to make women feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. Mostly, I lift more than these men...once they are put in their place, they leave me alone. You have to have a certain kind of personality and dedication to deal with that kind of crap though.

Doubt it. How About The Credit card machine stylus and keypad at the pharmacy pick up?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    well, number one because I'm a runner. and number two due to lack of knowledge about weightlifting. My fiancé is a lifter and very knowledgeable about it and always reading up on different programs. He's offered to show me the ropes and he'd probably coach me too, but I guess I'm just not that interested yet. I think sacrificing a daily run for a weightlifting sesh would leave me unsatisfied. Someone mentioned it up-thread, but I love how clear-headed a long run leaves me. Sometimes I feel like a super human rock star after a solid run. It's meditative. I love the sweat and feeling like I've really been worked. The feeling it leaves me with is really irreplaceable.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Doubt it. How About The Credit card machine stylus and keypad at the pharmacy pick up?

Or money, or public restroom floors.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

This^^^
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I did SL 5X5 for over a year after 3 months of straight cardio. I enjoy lifting, however, I have moved onto calesthenics. I appreciate the strength that lifting has given me but I want to be able to do an unassisted pull up and lifting heavy just wasn't doing that for me. On the plus side, I can rearrange the furniture without the help of the hubby. :smiley:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I do lift weights but I don't enjoy it. At all.
    When I lost weight the first time a few years back, I did only cardio. Mostly running and martial arts. I lost 90lbs but I had no strength at all. I think they call that skinny-fat.
    Then I had a baby and packed on 65 lbs. This time I went about my weight loss much differently: cardio and weights. I'm back down to my ideal weight however I've noticed this time around that my running abilities are much greater, even though I'm a bit heavier than I was pre-baby. I can really tell when I do hills - I propel myself much differently because I have good muscle tone. So I keep lifting weights, while hating every second of it.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bac0s wrote: »
    Cardio is like meditation for me. It centers me, clears my mind, and is a huge stress reliever.

^^This and I am currently under the care of a sports medicine physical therapist that doesn't want me to add new things at this time. I am concerned that I will find it boring, but I understand it is important.