Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot to tell you all this!!
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

(Now he has to get a job!!)

That is so SUPER GREAT!!!! Congrats to him!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol

You forgot fat Cherry Coke. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

We finally got Cherry Coke back in the last couple weeks. I was SO excited to see it the store. I was like "I need this, right now"

It is seriously one of life's hardest decisions deciding between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper at restaurants that offer both. I feel like I'm Sophie in Sophie's Choice.

• riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    @Tubbs216 That is really great news!!! Congratulations to all of you!!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

Good for him! That's great news!
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    I prefer ice cream to cake by FAR. At birthday parties as a kid I sometimes decided to not take cake and just eat ice cream. Especially those gross cakes with the generic icing you can get in grocery stores. Don't know what the type of icing is called... but while kids were screaming for the piece in the center with the most blue frilly icing on it, I was like ''Just give me the end piece." Now one time I had a cake that switched out icing for some delicious strawberry filling and I was all for seconds. :tongue:

This is me, except the strawberry filling part, since I generally hate fruit mixed into any kind of dessert. Most grocery store cakes and even standard bakery cakes taste yucky to me, especially that really weird styrofoam textured icing that they use. It's very, very rare that I find a cake that I actually WANT to eat--there's only ONE bakery in Oman that I enjoy cake from. One. In the whole country. :p (At least it's the only one that I know of, and I've tasted quite a lot.)
    Yes! Styrofoamy is right. I can really love a good home baked cake, though. My sister and I once made a delicious black cherry chocolate cake. You probably wouldn't like it because of the fruit, but maaaan it was delicious. I also love making homemade carrot cakes with CREAM CHEESE icing.

Exactly! When I first met my in-laws, they bought a cake that was supposedly red velvet from a bakery that has a good reputation here in Saudi Arabia. It was terrible--it tasted just like a grocery store cake, stale and styrofoamy. I forced it down out of politeness. :s

The cake bakery that I enjoy makes THE BEST dense, fresh, DELICIOUS cakes with real buttercream icing, cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, etc. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. I go there every time I visit Oman. I haven't found anything like it in Saudi Arabia. :-/

Confession: I make buttercream and eat it without cake. Sometimes I mix in blueberries or strawberries.

At least you make the buttercream.

Your post just reminded me that there is some leftover pre-made frosting in my fridge and I fully intend to eat it, with a spoon, over the next few days... willful cakelessness. Nor am I going to mix in fruit and up the nutritional quotient.

I love frosting. I happily eat it without cake. Sometimes I eat it off the cake and throw the cake away. :)

Hahaha I do too Patricia!! I heart icing so much!

When I would stay at my grandma's I would always look in her fridge to see if she had any icing & then I would take a spoon & eat some.

In high school my friends & I would go to the grocery store on our spares just to buy icing to eat.

American translation?

Uhhh, I'm not sure. It was a timeslot we didn't have a class for... If I didn't have a class from 10:00-11:00, for example, it was a "spare".

ETA: After seeing the above posts, I'm thinking free period would be what I mean :smile:

I was a bad kid and used to go drink dollar draft at a breakfast restaurant on my spares, hahaha.

Spares for me was spent either out in the sun or doing homework I didn't do the night before lol

Yep, some homework... or copying someone else's homework :grimace:
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful news, @Tubbs216!! You must be super proud! :)
  • quiksylver296
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Keith3481 wrote: »

Do they make Cherry Coke Zero?! I tried Mr. Mo's Coke Zero and rum the other night and it was decent. I think I could hang with a Cherry Coke Zero if it's available. I could just Google it, but I'm lazy. :smiley:

They do make Cherry Coke Zero! We can get them in Kentucky and Tennessee.

My confession: I had pizza yesterday. Twice.

Mmmmm, pizza sounds really good. Since hubby and kiddo are camping, maybe I should pick one up on my way home. The exact kind I want, and no one to share with... B)

Or Panda Express. Decisions, decisions.
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol

We finally got Cherry Coke back in the last couple weeks. I was SO excited to see it the store. I was like "I need this, right now"

It is seriously one of life's hardest decisions deciding between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper at restaurants that offer both. I feel like I'm Sophie in Sophie's Choice.

Cherry Coke definitely wouldn't be at restaurants here, and not very many places have Dr Pepper. :cry:
  • ShibaEars
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Keith3481 wrote: »

Do they make Cherry Coke Zero?! I tried Mr. Mo's Coke Zero and rum the other night and it was decent. I think I could hang with a Cherry Coke Zero if it's available. I could just Google it, but I'm lazy. :smiley:

They do make Cherry Coke Zero! We can get them in Kentucky and Tennessee.

My confession: I had pizza yesterday. Twice.

Mmmmm, pizza sounds really good. Since hubby and kiddo are camping, maybe I should pick one up on my way home. The exact kind I want, and no one to share with... B)

Or Panda Express. Decisions, decisions.

Now I also want pizza.

I'm so impressionable
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    So.... the word "syrup." You guys say see-rup or sir-up?

I'm all about sir-up ;)

I use them interchangeably. But it's more like "sear-rup" than "see-rup".

• ShibaEars
    Options
    Okay, as another word comparison, how do you say batteries?

Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

You forgot fat Cherry Coke Vanilla Coke Zero. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

fixed! :p

I had a lot of trouble finding my beloved Vanilla Coke Zero last time I was in the US (we don't have it here at all)... hope it's not being discontinued.

Yes!!! And it's delicious!!!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You forgot fat Cherry Coke Vanilla Coke Zero. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

I had a lot of trouble finding my beloved Vanilla Coke Zero last time I was in the US (we don't have it here at all)... hope it's not being discontinued.

I've only seen Diet Cherry Coke. I have a case in my basement, imported from the US naturally.

The sugarfree vanilla version is a Zero.

Confession: I don't understand the difference between Zero and Diet.

eta "sir-up"
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options

Batter-ees! Pet peeve here, people who can't say espresso correctly...
  • riderfangal
    Options
    D

Definitely batter-ees
  • quiksylver296
    Options

the correct way
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

@raelynnsmama52512 - This is the boy who at 3 was assessed and had virtually no language (receptive or expressive), plus a bunch of other learning issues, and at 15 was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. He now has a girlfriend and a little circle of good friends, and has now graduated from the regular school program. I would never in my wildest dreams imagined he would be at this point when he was very young. Stick with it and I'm sure she'll surprise you.

That's awesome... congrats TubbsJr!
  • riderfangal
    Options

It's Diet Cherry Coke. I have a case in my basement, imported from the US naturally.

Me either!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Cherry Coke definitely wouldn't be at restaurants here, and not very many places have Dr Pepper. :cry:

Yeah, we are way more limited on the soft drinks front, usually.

I worked at a steakhouse chain that had Dr. Pepper but it was only on the bartender's gun, not the server fountains, and I hated having to stop and make stupid Dr. Pepper refills....drove me bonkers. Fortunately, most guests didn't ask for it because they assumed we wouldn't have it as so few places ever do. I used to practically bite the heads of servers who'd come to the bar and ask for one for personal consumption when I was busy, haha.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

It's Diet Cherry Coke. I have a case in my basement, imported from the US naturally.

Zero tastes better.