Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Oh finding time to do my own things is really not an issue, except when school is off (which is when I do the most cardio, obviously, otherwise I do home workouts as well).
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me. I think the key to cardio not being boring for some of us is being invested in what we are doing. I don't ever think, "OK, I'm going to go do some cardio now and that will be really fun," but I fit hiking in wherever I can. I think I find resistance training generally enjoyable because I have to be invested in it when I do it -- thinking about my form and pushing through the next rep. I've also been a weakling my whole life, so I get a lot out of progressing to the next level and seeing that translated to my life.

That's the funny thing I think... I have two kids. I'm pretty much always with my kids, unless they're in school. Being able to zone out and mindlessly listen to my music and/or play Solitaire on the treadmill for an hour is bliss. Or go for a walk outside or something (I can't run anymore), but then I keep thinking that I'd burn more calories at the gym with an incline so unless it's really beautiful outside I haven't done that much lately. Love hiking but with my kids it's horrible

sarahpinhal.com/

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but just some perspective and food for thought . . .
    She has 4 kids . . . under the age of 10. Now she owns her own gym, but she used to work just like anyone else when she started the figure competition.

Ok what am I missing? I never said that I use the kids as an excuse not to lift. I said I don't lift (much) because 1) I don't like it, 2) you can't use the rack at the gym without a trainer, 3) I love cardio because I can zone out, which I can't do when I lift.

I'm just kinda confused why my post has brought up posts about the kids, when it really wasn't the point of my post.

Well you previously mentioned so much of your time is consumed with your kids . . . so it was just something interesting to review - that's it, that's all, a different perspective on things.

Actually, she mentioned she loved doing mindless cardio as a way to zone out and relax from the kids.

And then goes on to say something like "the funny thing is I have two kids and I'm with them all the time except for when they're at school . . ." (or something along those lines).

Anyways - just a different perspective on things . . . that's it, that's all. I don't care if she wants to lift cheetos for 6 hours a day or run for 6 hours . . . it's her life, I just was giving a different perspective on how some people view the challenge of having kids and finding time to do their own thing.

Intentional or not-your post was unnecessary. She does make time to workout-she just does cardio bc she likes it and doesn't like lifting. Posting about some woman......who has kids and still did a figure show is not a "different perspective".

This. No matter how many times you type the words "different perspective" it's totally unnecessary in this thread as you're talking to someone who DOES exercise (and enjoys the break from her kids)...so I'm really not sure what you thought the point (sorry, "different perspective") you were offering was. Maybe you can explain what that, uh, "different perspective" actually is? She certainly doesn't need any encouragement or motivation or shaming or whatever you want to call it to to work out despite having kids, which is the only "perspective" I can see gleaning from that particular link.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me. I think the key to cardio not being boring for some of us is being invested in what we are doing. I don't ever think, "OK, I'm going to go do some cardio now and that will be really fun," but I fit hiking in wherever I can. I think I find resistance training generally enjoyable because I have to be invested in it when I do it -- thinking about my form and pushing through the next rep. I've also been a weakling my whole life, so I get a lot out of progressing to the next level and seeing that translated to my life.

That's the funny thing I think... I have two kids. I'm pretty much always with my kids, unless they're in school. Being able to zone out and mindlessly listen to my music and/or play Solitaire on the treadmill for an hour is bliss. Or go for a walk outside or something (I can't run anymore), but then I keep thinking that I'd burn more calories at the gym with an incline so unless it's really beautiful outside I haven't done that much lately. Love hiking but with my kids it's horrible

sarahpinhal.com/

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but just some perspective and food for thought . . .
    She has 4 kids . . . under the age of 10. Now she owns her own gym, but she used to work just like anyone else when she started the figure competition.

Ok what am I missing? I never said that I use the kids as an excuse not to lift. I said I don't lift (much) because 1) I don't like it, 2) you can't use the rack at the gym without a trainer, 3) I love cardio because I can zone out, which I can't do when I lift.

I'm just kinda confused why my post has brought up posts about the kids, when it really wasn't the point of my post.

Well you previously mentioned so much of your time is consumed with your kids . . . so it was just something interesting to review - that's it, that's all, a different perspective on things.

Actually, she mentioned she loved doing mindless cardio as a way to zone out and relax from the kids.

And then goes on to say something like "the funny thing is I have two kids and I'm with them all the time except for when they're at school . . ." (or something along those lines).

Anyways - just a different perspective on things . . . that's it, that's all. I don't care if she wants to lift cheetos for 6 hours a day or run for 6 hours . . . it's her life, I just was giving a different perspective on how some people view the challenge of having kids and finding time to do their own thing.

Intentional or not-your post was unnecessary. She does make time to workout-she just does cardio bc she likes it and doesn't like lifting. Posting about some woman......who has kids and still did a figure show is not a "different perspective".

It's very much so a different perspective. Person A (the poster here) gets her "down time" "me time" whatever time by mindless cardio and zoning out - as she said. Person B (the person I know, with the website) gets it from body building/figure competitions and lifting. This is a place for learning and gaining knowledge, no?

I didn't say she isn't working out or getting her time in did I? Nope - it was more she has kids too, look at how she's looked at things.

But it's not unlike MFP threads to jump down a throat when things were perhaps taken out of context. I'm clearly not a lifter - most of my work outs are cardio focused and any lifting/cross training is to help with the cardio. I am in no place to judge and I didn't. So for the person who posted it originally, sorry if you thought I was judging you or whatever but this was taken out of context for how I read and looked at your situation.
  • peleroja
    Options

sarahpinhal.com/

It's very much so a different perspective. Person A (the poster here) gets her "down time" "me time" whatever time by mindless cardio and zoning out - as she said. Person B (the person I know, with the website) gets it from body building/figure competitions and lifting. This is a place for learning and gaining knowledge, no?

I didn't say she isn't working out or getting her time in did I? Nope - it was more she has kids too, look at how she's looked at things.

But it's not unlike MFP threads to jump down a throat when things were perhaps taken out of context. I'm clearly not a lifter - most of my work outs are cardio focused and any lifting/cross training is to help with the cardio. I am in no place to judge and I didn't. So for the person who posted it originally, sorry if you thought I was judging you or whatever but this was taken out of context for how I read and looked at your situation.

I'm not getting this at all. So @Francl27 likes cardio and your friend with the blog likes lifting and they both have kids...? Is that your only point?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

sarahpinhal.com/

I'm not getting this at all. So @Francl27 likes cardio and your friend with the blog likes lifting and they both have kids...? Is that your only point?

Yeh . . . it was like hey, here's something neat or different to read. I can't be the only one who likes to read about things other people do or think about or how they look at things? It was meant to be a very small point since she said she uses it as her me time. Really taken out of context from what I thought of originally.

One person uses cardio to relax and one uses something else . . . like really is it that big of a deal to say here's someone who does something different because of the same trigger? I don't really care if you read it or not, more just here's some info on something different take it or leave it.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    chaniluv wrote: »
    I don't do it simply because I can't afford it. I can't afford to buy my own weights. I can't afford to pay for a gym membership on top of the gas to get there and back on a regular basis. Right now it's summer, so I'd also have to pay someone to watch my daughter.

If I was more interested in getting tone than getting rid of my flab, maybe I'd look for a solution, but I mix in a little strength training in my exercises already; I don't need a lot of it where I'm at right now. Also, aerobics and walking are much more fun for me! I love dancing - always have - so dance aerobics are the most entertaining way for me to exercise. If I feel like doing something less intense, I really enjoy reading a book as I walk. I'm definitely a bookworm and reading while I walk not only keeps me interested in it longer but helps me ignore any weariness or irritation from the heat so I can keep at it longer.

The TL;DR is that weight-lifting would be more expensive, more time-consuming, and less fun for me.

But that's 35 hours a week kid-free ( while they're at school). That's such a luxury! Most people work that (at least) then come home to be with their kids with no breaks all. I wouldn't call that 'always being with my kids' and would say you have plenty of time for hiking etc when your kids aren't around.

I don't go hiking alone. There's nowhere close enough that I could go and have a good hike and be back in time to pick them up unfortunately.

Went completely over your head, didn't it? I was pointing out that you have a huge amount of alone, kid-free time to do whatever you want with compared to most people. You're very lucky.

ETA I only like cardio if it has a personal challenge (to run faster or a longer distance each time, or to win a tennis match for example) I think that's why I still prefer weightlifting, because you go up in weight every time ( or you fail, de load and work your way back up again). There is always a goal

Ok and what's the relevance to this thread? I'm shaking my head.

I have no idea. You're the one who said you like cardio because you're 'always with your kids' and you like to get away from them. I was merely pointing out that having kids who are at school 7 hours a day whilst you do whatever you want at home means you are hardly short of time to work out (or hike or hang upside down from the ceiling) compared to the average person.
    But hey, play the victim if you want. You're definitely not the only one shaking her head. Just wow.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    callen901 wrote: »
    I want to lift but I don't know what I'm doing and the trainers @ the gym are no help. I feel so overwhelmed with all the different weights and machines. I just don't know where to start so I just hop on the treadmill or elliptical and do my time.

I used to do cardio (hours & hours). I like it but I knew muscle helped more with weight loss and bone loss so I decided to give it a try.

There are so many programs out there to try as well as videos (on bodybuilding.com, you-tube etc.) that will show you proper form so you don't hurt yourself. I did Body Pump for about 10 years and when it was cancelled at my gym I started a 12 week program from bodybuilding.com called "simply shredded". I was "afraid" of the free weight room because I wasn't sure of myself, couldn't lift the weights etc. so I did the simply shredded in the body pump room when there wasn't a class. I started out light - bar & 20#. doing squats just holding the bar in front of me etc. As I went through the 12 weeks I increased the weights I was lifting so I had gone from doing squats at 20# to doing them at 40#. That doesn't sound like a lot but I was proud of what I had accomplished. It was also getting too heavy for me to lift so I realized I needed to either learn to use the Smith machine or go into the free weight room. Once I finished that program I took 2 weeks off and the started Jamie Eason Live-Fit 12 week program. I also ventured into the free weight room and I "thought" everyone would be staring at me and laughing because I was struggling with the bar without weights and I was one of only 2 women in the room. You know - nobody batted an eye. A few people were helpful with pointers. The first time I tried the squat rack I was lucky I could even lift the bar with no weights because it's 45#. Here I am getting ready to start week 8 tomorrow & this morning for squats I had 40# on the bar and I did my last set with 50# on it so I'm quite happy that I've gone from just the bar to 85# total weight.

Once this 12 week program is done I'll take a week or two off, get back into a new program and maybe get back into spin. I'm not looking to join a body building competition - just build muscle so I look better. Women won't get bulky like "a man" because we don't have the testosterone that they have. Just remember - everyone in there started where you are now - not knowing anything and possibly afraid to try. Oh and my gym has pictures on the weight machines showing you how to do the moves and what muscles you are working.
  • peleroja
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

sarahpinhal.com/

Yeh . . . it was like hey, here's something neat or different to read. I can't be the only one who likes to read about things other people do or think about or how they look at things? It was meant to be a very small point since she said she uses it as her me time. Really taken out of context from what I thought of originally.

One person uses cardio to relax and one uses something else . . . like really is it that big of a deal to say here's someone who does something different because of the same trigger? I don't really care if you read it or not, more just here's some info on something different take it or leave it.

Oh, so it was just a total non-sequitur?

It's just that it kinda seemed like a pointless judgement on how one woman chooses to spend her time versus another, which would have been pretty uncool.

I think you can get where I'm going with this. Tone is a tricky thing with written words, so caution with that kind of thing is usually prudent.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

" I disagree... Don't lift. Leave all the weights to me and stay out of the weight area. "

Hahah This is funny. I definitely do wish this sometimes when the weight area is crazy packed.

I have read every single post (I did not think there would be so many!). Now I have a better understanding of why people dislike/don't care for weight lifting. Thank you all for your replies and for keeping it as non-judgmental as possible :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    1. I'm not medically cleared to do it without direct supervision from a therapist.
    2. It's awfully boring to me. I tried the moves and the weights I'm allowed to do, and could not last beyond two weeks because of how disinterested I was. This lead me to the conclusion that it's not worth paying my weight in money for a therapist just to do something I don't enjoy.

I find cardio enjoyable because I get to phase out, listen to an audiobook, get lost in my thoughts...etc. Something I couldn't do with lifting because it required too much focus. With cardio I find muscle memory does it all. I also find that "I'm gonna die" feeling to be really satisfying.
  • chaniluv
    chaniluv Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have no idea. You're the one who said you like cardio because you're 'always with your kids' and you like to get away from them. I was merely pointing out that having kids who are at school 7 hours a day whilst you do whatever you want at home means you are hardly short of time to work out (or hike or hang upside down from the ceiling) compared to the average person.
    But hey, play the victim if you want. You're definitely not the only one shaking her head. Just wow.
    Why did I get quoted? :( I really hope my post didn't irritate anyone; I swear that was not my intention! I have a lot of respect for people (especially those with kids) who do lift, it's just not for me. I never said that time was an issue for me, either. The price is the main issue, followed by the fact that I just really prefer my cardio workouts because they allow me to dance/read.

I'd have to either buy my own equipment or pay for a gym membership, gas to get there and back frequently, and daycare for my child since she's not in school right now. When school does kick back in, I'll be working while she's away so that time will still not be free. And, like I've mentioned, I just really like being able to do dance aerobics or read while I walk.

I'm really sorry if my post offended anyone. I didn't mean to come off as snarky or anything; sometimes it's hard to express sincerity in text.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I don't do it simply because I can't afford it. I can't afford to buy my own weights. I can't afford to pay for a gym membership on top of the gas to get there and back on a regular basis. Right now it's summer, so I'd also have to pay someone to watch my daughter.

If I was more interested in getting tone than getting rid of my flab, maybe I'd look for a solution, but I mix in a little strength training in my exercises already; I don't need a lot of it where I'm at right now. Also, aerobics and walking are much more fun for me! I love dancing - always have - so dance aerobics are the most entertaining way for me to exercise. If I feel like doing something less intense, I really enjoy reading a book as I walk. I'm definitely a bookworm and reading while I walk not only keeps me interested in it longer but helps me ignore any weariness or irritation from the heat so I can keep at it longer.

The TL;DR is that weight-lifting would be more expensive, more time-consuming, and less fun for me.

But that's 35 hours a week kid-free ( while they're at school). That's such a luxury! Most people work that (at least) then come home to be with their kids with no breaks all. I wouldn't call that 'always being with my kids' and would say you have plenty of time for hiking etc when your kids aren't around.

I don't go hiking alone. There's nowhere close enough that I could go and have a good hike and be back in time to pick them up unfortunately.

Went completely over your head, didn't it? I was pointing out that you have a huge amount of alone, kid-free time to do whatever you want with compared to most people. You're very lucky.

ETA I only like cardio if it has a personal challenge (to run faster or a longer distance each time, or to win a tennis match for example) I think that's why I still prefer weightlifting, because you go up in weight every time ( or you fail, de load and work your way back up again). There is always a goal

Ok and what's the relevance to this thread? I'm shaking my head.

Ok... when did I say that I am short on time to work out?

I'm just confused. Or maybe I need more coffee.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    A decent set (non-olympic) to start you off can cost as little as $0 if you pick it up off the side of the road. You can typically find them for cheap at thrift stores, or for a tiny bit more (say $200 for bench + bar + 200lb) on craigslist.
    I haven't been lucky enough to find any lying on the side of the road and $200 is still way too much to pay for something that I don't really need. All my spare money is going into home renovations at the moment and, like I said, lifting weights is significantly less fun for me anyway.

I looked at some point too and there was nothing on Craigslist. So I had to buy my dumbbells new, and that was expensive enough.

This thread is typically MFP though. No matter how people say they don't want to do it because they don't like it, there are still people coming and saying how much they love it and how people should get started.

Except, I didn't say how much I love it, or how anyone should get started. Just dispelling the myth that that it is expensive. $200 is easily affordable by almost everyone. Most people who say they can't end up wasting money on all sorts of things (eating out, going to movies, fancy phones, clothes, etc... etc....), or made themselves house/car poor for status.

Weight lifting is dirt cheap if you are patient, and while you may not find a set on craigslist this week, there will be one next week (with the exception of those who don't live within 2 hours of a decent sized city). Some weeks, there are none for me to look at, other weeks there are plenty... just looked now and a decent starter set is up there for $50, and the equivalent of my set is going for $200. Free sets don't come up often, but I see maybe 1-2/year that are free, but I don't have my eye out for them either.

The post started off with "I can't afford it", which isn't true. If you wanted it, $200 is easy to come by, especially if you can afford home renovations.

If you don't want to do it, don't use cost as an excuse, just state the facts.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I'm sharing a link below for folks who may be interested in lifting but who can't afford the equipment or can't/don't wish to join a gym.

But first, since this is MFP, some disclaimers <3

I am not saying you have to lift weights if you don't want to.
    I am not implying anything at all about anyone who chooses not to lift.
    I don't lift myself, though I'd love to (as pointed out in my post earlier in this thread, and which I won't repeat because it ain't that interesting).
    I just know that there are ways to incorporate lifting into your life without equipment or gym memberships.

Hence, I give you nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Enjoy. I really like the "nerd fitness" site in general, but this particular basic body weight workout has been helpful to a lot of people.

Oh man just the title makes me want to cringe LOL. But yeah, good basic body weight workouts are not a bad thing... if you're into that sort of things :p
  • chaniluv
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Okay, I don't quite understand why I'm being targeted with rude messages. I never said anything rude to anyone, but now I'm getting a little irritated.

$200 might be easy for to come by for you, but for me it is not. I am a single mother in-between jobs. All my money has to go into home renovations so I can get moved back into my house as soon as possible for a slew of reasons. I'm staying with my mother right now and the school here doesn't have the special education that my daughter needs and it is an hour-and-a-quarter drive to the nearest city. I cannot afford it. I'm not swimming in money and remodeling my kitchen because I don't like the colors. I'm fixing up my house so that it is habitable.

And, if you'd read my whole post, that isn't my only reason. I said that I just truly enjoy cardio more and that, even if I did have the money, I would consider it a waste. So I honestly don't get how you can presume to claim that I'm making excuses for it.

I really don't know what I said to tick everyone off, but wow, I'm sorry. I just came here to state why I prefer cardio over weight-lifting and did not mean for everyone to make a big deal out of my post.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't quite understand why I'm being targeted with rude messages. I never said anything rude to anyone, but now I'm getting a little irritated.

$200 might be easy for to come by for you, but for me it is not. I am a single mother in-between jobs. All my money has to go into home renovations so I can get moved back into my house as soon as possible for a slew of reasons. I'm staying with my mother right now and the school here doesn't have the special education that my daughter needs and it is an hour-and-a-quarter drive to the nearest city. I cannot afford it. I'm not swimming in money and remodeling my kitchen because I don't like the colors. I'm fixing up my house so that it is habitable.

And, if you'd read my whole post, that isn't my only reason. I said that I just truly enjoy cardio more and that, even if I did have the money, I would consider it a waste. So I honestly don't get how you can presume to claim that I'm making excuses for it.

I really don't know what I said to tick everyone off, but wow, I'm sorry. I just came here to state why I prefer cardio over weight-lifting and did not mean for everyone to make a big deal out of my post.

Don't apologize. It's not you-it's them
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
  • chaniluv
    Options
    @slaite1 Thank you! I was beginning to wonder. I was just rereading my post trying to figure out how I'd managed to insult anybody.

@Caitwn That's actually a really nifty link. I'll bookmark it. Thanks for sharing!
  • Francl27
    Options

It's not you.

It doesn't matter here - if you don't lift, even if it's because you don't like it, you're just making excuses.