Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    chaniluv wrote: »
    If you don't want to do it, don't use cost as an excuse, just state the facts.
    Okay, I don't quite understand why I'm being targeted with rude messages. I never said anything rude to anyone, but now I'm getting a little irritated.

$200 might be easy for to come by for you, but for me it is not. I am a single mother in-between jobs. All my money has to go into home renovations so I can get moved back into my house as soon as possible for a slew of reasons. I'm staying with my mother right now and the school here doesn't have the special education that my daughter needs and it is an hour-and-a-quarter drive to the nearest city. I cannot afford it. I'm not swimming in money and remodeling my kitchen because I don't like the colors. I'm fixing up my house so that it is habitable.

And, if you'd read my whole post, that isn't my only reason. I said that I just truly enjoy cardio more and that, even if I did have the money, I would consider it a waste. So I honestly don't get how you can presume to claim that I'm making excuses for it.

I really don't know what I said to tick everyone off, but wow, I'm sorry. I just came here to state why I prefer cardio over weight-lifting and did not mean for everyone to make a big deal out of my post.

It's not you.

It doesn't matter here - if you don't lift, even if it's because you don't like it, you're just making excuses.

To be fair this got to page 7 before erupting. I would have guessed 3, tops.

I give you cardio people credit. I hate it. I make every excuse not to do it. I find lifting easier bc I like it. Runnings hard
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Okay, I don't quite understand why I'm being targeted with rude messages. I never said anything rude to anyone, but now I'm getting a little irritated.

$200 might be easy for to come by for you, but for me it is not. I am a single mother in-between jobs. All my money has to go into home renovations so I can get moved back into my house as soon as possible for a slew of reasons. I'm staying with my mother right now and the school here doesn't have the special education that my daughter needs and it is an hour-and-a-quarter drive to the nearest city. I cannot afford it. I'm not swimming in money and remodeling my kitchen because I don't like the colors. I'm fixing up my house so that it is habitable.

And, if you'd read my whole post, that isn't my only reason. I said that I just truly enjoy cardio more and that, even if I did have the money, I would consider it a waste. So I honestly don't get how you can presume to claim that I'm making excuses for it.

I really don't know what I said to tick everyone off, but wow, I'm sorry. I just came here to state why I prefer cardio over weight-lifting and did not mean for everyone to make a big deal out of my post.

It's not you.

It doesn't matter here - if you don't lift, even if it's because you don't like it, you're just making excuses.

I give you cardio people credit. I hate it. I make every excuse not to do it. I find lifting easier bc I like it. Runnings hard

Well we're all different, lol. But I have yet to see anyone tell lifters that they need to do cardio.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

It's not you.

To be fair, I think that's why people fall into different camps; everyone does what they like, and it's hard to understand the other side. I would imagine there are more people who like cardio then lifting, if for nothing else than there's a huge range of activities that can be classified as "cardio".

I consider cardio like veggies: there's likely something you would enjoy, you just have to take the time to find it. Hell, I've even seen lifters refer to lifting faster as cardio work.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A decent set (non-olympic) to start you off can cost as little as $0 if you pick it up off the side of the road. You can typically find them for cheap at thrift stores, or for a tiny bit more (say $200 for bench + bar + 200lb) on craigslist.
    I haven't been lucky enough to find any lying on the side of the road and $200 is still way too much to pay for something that I don't really need. All my spare money is going into home renovations at the moment and, like I said, lifting weights is significantly less fun for me anyway.

I looked at some point too and there was nothing on Craigslist. So I had to buy my dumbbells new, and that was expensive enough.

This thread is typically MFP though. No matter how people say they don't want to do it because they don't like it, there are still people coming and saying how much they love it and how people should get started.

Except, I didn't say how much I love it, or how anyone should get started. Just dispelling the myth that that it is expensive. $200 is easily affordable by almost everyone. Most people who say they can't end up wasting money on all sorts of things (eating out, going to movies, fancy phones, clothes, etc... etc....), or made themselves house/car poor for status.

Weight lifting is dirt cheap if you are patient, and while you may not find a set on craigslist this week, there will be one next week (with the exception of those who don't live within 2 hours of a decent sized city). Some weeks, there are none for me to look at, other weeks there are plenty... just looked now and a decent starter set is up there for $50, and the equivalent of my set is going for $200. Free sets don't come up often, but I see maybe 1-2/year that are free, but I don't have my eye out for them either.

The post started off with "I can't afford it", which isn't true. If you wanted it, $200 is easy to come by, especially if you can afford home renovations.

@nordlead2005 Excuse you. Who the hell do you think you are telling someone that $200 is easy to come by for almost everyone? Who are you to tell someone what they can and cannot afford? You do not have the right to make such a statement. You do not know her financial situation nor anyone else's except your own.

Home renos are a necessity. Spending $200 on weights that she doesn't even want is not.

Butt out and take your judgmental self somewhere else.
  • slaite1
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

It's not you.

To be fair, I think that's why people fall into different camps; everyone does what they like, and it's hard to understand the other side. I would imagine there are more people who like cardio then lifting, if for nothing else than there's a huge range of activities that can be classified as "cardio".

I consider cardio like veggies: there's likely something you would enjoy, you just have to take the time to find it. Hell, I've even seen lifters refer to lifting faster as cardio work.

Oh yea, don't get me wrong, I do try to do cardio. I used to only really do circuits and sprints actually. I still enjoy circuits, I just can't fit them in with my lifting schedule and generally put-off my runs.

I completely agree on the entire first paragraph. If you're being active and doing some bring you enjoy-that's all that really matters.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't do heavy lifting because I'm just not interested in it. No deeper than that. I do just fine without it and have never had to ask the menfolk to help me move furniture or lift basic items like kitty litter and grocery bags. My tiny 9 inch biceps are deceptive. I've noticed that my sedentary family members have a good amount of muscle and decent strength, so I guess I just hit the genetic jackpot in that regard.

I do body weight resistance or routines with light weights (8-12 lbs), which I alternate with cardio 5 days per week. Each week is either 3 days cardio/2 days resistance or 2 days cardio/3 days resistance. My results tell me that my body approves of my routine.

I don't get bored with either cardio or resistance because I refuse to do anything that I find boring and only do workouts that I love. I work out at home exclusively and have an extensive video/DVD library, so it's easy for me to switch up when my brain needs new stimuli.
  • chaniluv
    chaniluv Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I completely agree on the entire first paragraph. If you're being active and doing some bring you enjoy-that's all that really matters.
    I agree as well! We're all here to make a change. Our journeys are different but our destination is the same!

I personally have a lot of respect for people who lift or even people who do cardio hardcore and endeavor to push themselves to a new limit each time. I just raise my goals slowly; one week ten minutes, next week fifteen, and so on.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me. I think the key to cardio not being boring for some of us is being invested in what we are doing. I don't ever think, "OK, I'm going to go do some cardio now and that will be really fun," but I fit hiking in wherever I can. I think I find resistance training generally enjoyable because I have to be invested in it when I do it -- thinking about my form and pushing through the next rep. I've also been a weakling my whole life, so I get a lot out of progressing to the next level and seeing that translated to my life.

That's the funny thing I think... I have two kids. I'm pretty much always with my kids, unless they're in school. Being able to zone out and mindlessly listen to my music and/or play Solitaire on the treadmill for an hour is bliss. Or go for a walk outside or something (I can't run anymore), but then I keep thinking that I'd burn more calories at the gym with an incline so unless it's really beautiful outside I haven't done that much lately. Love hiking but with my kids it's horrible
    I don't do it simply because I can't afford it. I can't afford to buy my own weights. I can't afford to pay for a gym membership on top of the gas to get there and back on a regular basis. Right now it's summer, so I'd also have to pay someone to watch my daughter.

If I was more interested in getting tone than getting rid of my flab, maybe I'd look for a solution, but I mix in a little strength training in my exercises already; I don't need a lot of it where I'm at right now. Also, aerobics and walking are much more fun for me! I love dancing - always have - so dance aerobics are the most entertaining way for me to exercise. If I feel like doing something less intense, I really enjoy reading a book as I walk. I'm definitely a bookworm and reading while I walk not only keeps me interested in it longer but helps me ignore any weariness or irritation from the heat so I can keep at it longer.

The TL;DR is that weight-lifting would be more expensive, more time-consuming, and less fun for me.
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me. I think the key to cardio not being boring for some of us is being invested in what we are doing. I don't ever think, "OK, I'm going to go do some cardio now and that will be really fun," but I fit hiking in wherever I can. I think I find resistance training generally enjoyable because I have to be invested in it when I do it -- thinking about my form and pushing through the next rep. I've also been a weakling my whole life, so I get a lot out of progressing to the next level and seeing that translated to my life.

That's the funny thing I think... I have two kids. I'm pretty much always with my kids, unless they're in school. Being able to zone out and mindlessly listen to my music and/or play Solitaire on the treadmill for an hour is bliss. Or go for a walk outside or something (I can't run anymore), but then I keep thinking that I'd burn more calories at the gym with an incline so unless it's really beautiful outside I haven't done that much lately. Love hiking but with my kids it's horrible

But that's 35 hours a week kid-free ( while they're at school). That's such a luxury! Most people work that (at least) then come home to be with their kids with no breaks all. I wouldn't call that 'always being with my kids' and would say you have plenty of time for hiking etc when your kids aren't around.

I don't go hiking alone. There's nowhere close enough that I could go and have a good hike and be back in time to pick them up unfortunately.

Went completely over your head, didn't it? I was pointing out that you have a huge amount of alone, kid-free time to do whatever you want with compared to most people. You're very lucky.

ETA I only like cardio if it has a personal challenge (to run faster or a longer distance each time, or to win a tennis match for example) I think that's why I still prefer weightlifting, because you go up in weight every time ( or you fail, de load and work your way back up again). There is always a goal

Ok and what's the relevance to this thread? I'm shaking my head.

I have no idea. You're the one who said you like cardio because you're 'always with your kids' and you like to get away from them. I was merely pointing out that having kids who are at school 7 hours a day whilst you do whatever you want at home means you are hardly short of time to work out (or hike or hang upside down from the ceiling) compared to the average person.
    But hey, play the victim if you want. You're definitely not the only one shaking her head. Just wow.

Ok... when did I say that I am short on time to work out?

I'm just confused. Or maybe I need more coffee.

I give up. What you wrote made no sense. You said 'I like cardio because I am always with my kids except when they're at school'. It made no sense whatsoever as a reason and I pointed out that if you don't work and your kids are at school all day you are in a privileged and fortunate position. Rather than just owning up to that you started throwing out bs reasons why 6 hours isn't long enough to hike (and added that your children were annoying again for good measure) and then asking what your kids have to do with the OP's question when you were the one who brought them up.
    But I agree that you having kids (especially school age kids who are gone most of the day) has nothing to do with whether you prefer cardio or weights so I'm not sure why you brought it up in the first place.
  • chaniluv
    chaniluv Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    @Heartisalonelyhunter I believe she meant that she prefers cardio because it allows her to zone out - play Solitaire and such - while she does it. It's relieving to have that zen moment after a day surrounded by kids.

That's what I got from it, anyway!
  • slaite1
    Options

I don't do it simply because I can't afford it. I can't afford to buy my own weights. I can't afford to pay for a gym membership on top of the gas to get there and back on a regular basis. Right now it's summer, so I'd also have to pay someone to watch my daughter.

If I was more interested in getting tone than getting rid of my flab, maybe I'd look for a solution, but I mix in a little strength training in my exercises already; I don't need a lot of it where I'm at right now. Also, aerobics and walking are much more fun for me! I love dancing - always have - so dance aerobics are the most entertaining way for me to exercise. If I feel like doing something less intense, I really enjoy reading a book as I walk. I'm definitely a bookworm and reading while I walk not only keeps me interested in it longer but helps me ignore any weariness or irritation from the heat so I can keep at it longer.

The TL;DR is that weight-lifting would be more expensive, more time-consuming, and less fun for me.

But that's 35 hours a week kid-free ( while they're at school). That's such a luxury! Most people work that (at least) then come home to be with their kids with no breaks all. I wouldn't call that 'always being with my kids' and would say you have plenty of time for hiking etc when your kids aren't around.

I don't go hiking alone. There's nowhere close enough that I could go and have a good hike and be back in time to pick them up unfortunately.

Went completely over your head, didn't it? I was pointing out that you have a huge amount of alone, kid-free time to do whatever you want with compared to most people. You're very lucky.

ETA I only like cardio if it has a personal challenge (to run faster or a longer distance each time, or to win a tennis match for example) I think that's why I still prefer weightlifting, because you go up in weight every time ( or you fail, de load and work your way back up again). There is always a goal

I have no idea. You're the one who said you like cardio because you're 'always with your kids' and you like to get away from them. I was merely pointing out that having kids who are at school 7 hours a day whilst you do whatever you want at home means you are hardly short of time to work out (or hike or hang upside down from the ceiling) compared to the average person.
    But hey, play the victim if you want. You're definitely not the only one shaking her head. Just wow.

I give up. What you wrote made no sense. You said 'I like cardio because I am always with my kids except when they're at school'. It made no sense whatsoever as a reason and I pointed out that if you don't work and your kids are at school all day you are in a privileged and fortunate position. Rather than just owning up to that you started throwing out bs reasons why 6 hours isn't long enough to hike (and added that your children were annoying again for good measure) and then asking what your kids have to do with the OP's question when you were the one who brought them up.
    But I agree that you having kids (especially school age kids who are gone most of the day) has nothing to do with whether you prefer cardio or weights so I'm not sure why you brought it up in the first place.

Chill out
  • Francl27
    Options

Ok apparently I need to explain myself. The post I quoted said that she has no interest in zoning out doing cardio. Nothing wrong with that. I said that I love cardio because I can zone out while doing it, especially as it *does* give me a break from my kids (obviously not when they are in school, but on week ends or right now during school break). I'm not too sure how you think that it makes no sense as a reason, as it's a perfectly valid reason for me (note - as I said later, I don't do as much treadmill cardio when it's not school break).

So I was just commenting on how it's funny how things are different for everyone.

Also my kids are in school 6 hours a day, not 7, and the closest places for hikes are 2 hours away without traffic, so I don't quite understand where you get that the time frame is a bs reason not to go hiking, plus really, what in the world gives you the right to judge if people's reasons are BS or not? And what if I just don't like hiking alone anyway?

Also, I never mentioned that I was short on time to exercise - I exercise plenty, thank you very much, and I don't need to go hiking to get some exercise.

You're just rude.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Ok apparently I need to explain myself. The post I quoted said that she has no interest in zoning out doing cardio. Nothing wrong with that. I said that I love cardio because I can zone out while doing it, especially as it *does* give me a break from my kids (obviously not when they are in school, but on week ends or right now during school break). I'm not too sure how you think that it makes no sense as a reason, as it's a perfectly valid reason for me (note - as I said later, I don't do as much treadmill cardio when it's not school break).

So I was just commenting on how it's funny how things are different for everyone.

Also my kids are in school 6 hours a day, not 7, and the closest places for hikes are 2 hours away without traffic, so I don't quite understand where you get that the time frame is a bs reason not to go hiking, plus really, what in the world gives you the right to judge if people's reasons are BS or not? And what if I just don't like hiking alone anyway?

Also, I never mentioned that I was short on time to exercise - I exercise plenty, thank you very much, and I don't need to go hiking to get some exercise.

You're just rude.

Right back at you. I was merely trying to point out to you that you have much more of a 'break from your kids' than the majority of people who are on here. Maybe you should enjoy that rather than complaining about your children on online forums. You seem like a delightful person to be around.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm the one that said that I don't enjoy zoning out doing cardio. Having had a young child once upon a time (she's 12 now and too cool to hang out with me), I actually understand and empathize with the desire to just zone out for an hour and I appreciate the motivation that leads one to exercise at the same time. I don't need that quiet time now, but I would have cherished it then. I had no trouble understanding the point that someone might find it relaxing and important to her mental well-being based on her circumstances, even if that's not where I am right now. I did not take it all to mean that she does not have time to exercise.

She was merely replying to my explanation of why I don't care for cardio for cardio's sake with an explanation of why her circumstances lead her to appreciate it.

It wasn't a difficult or controversial point, so I'm not sure why it is generating argument.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No one should do something they hate. That said, SOME kind of resistance training is important to help prevent osteoporosis and strengthen muscles so you don't crap out your joints w endless cardio (which btw did I say I love). It helps reduce injuries.

Also, I once read something about weight training specifically preventing telomeres from shortening, idk it wS linked w preventing signs of aging and lengthening lifespan

're weights costing a lot. What I did when I used to lift was buy 2 plates at a time, as I progressed. They sell them at Wal-Mart and other places for $1-2 / lb. I think I had 4x5 lbs, 4x10 lbs, 2x20 (or 25, whichever it is). I had 2 dumbbell bars at first, but if I just had one standard barbell to start with, it would have been cheaper in the beginning. But I was afraid of the barbell, wanted to work up to it :)

$200 is a lot at once but not too bad if you build up to it.

I loaned them to a friend while I'm rehabbing (from cardio injuries), not sure I'll see them again lol

But I think even if you just use 20lb dumbbells, it's better for your bones than doing nothing.

Or even resistance bands.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I strength train through gardening. Pulling weeds, digging, hoeing, planting etc. all work my muscles. There is a lot of squatting in gardening. I am getting ready to start a complete renovation of my yard and turn it into an urban farm. But I have decided that instead of using a tiller I am going to manually dig the beds and create the trails through the garden. It's about a 1/2 acre of property to renovate and when I'm done my yard will no longer have a lawn, just beds and beds of plants, veggies, fruits, flowers, and herbs. This plan will take me about a year to a year and a half. The first thing that I'm doing is digging a pond which will be the centerpiece of the garden.
  • Francl27
    Options

You're just rude.

Right back at you. I was merely trying to point out to you that you have much more of a 'break from your kids' than the majority of people who are on here. Maybe you should enjoy that rather than complaining about your children on online forums. You seem like a delightful person to be around.

Ok but again, who are you to judge how I compare to other people who are here, when it's not even the point of the post at all?

You seem to have issues with parents who don't consider parenting to be an all the time fantastic thing, and are actually trying to be real, I'm not even going to try to figure out what your issue is, but maybe you should bring it up with your therapist instead of lashing out on some SAHM who likes having a break from her kid one hour a day during school break.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Could you guys possibly take the Hatefest to messages? I wish all the nasty messages would be sent privately.

Like others, I'm surprised by how many dislike cardio, but since I hate weights, it stands to reason that others would dislike cardio. Different strokes. :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Could you guys possibly take the Hatefest to messages? I wish all the nasty messages would be sent privately.

Like others, I'm surprised by how many dislike cardio, but since I hate weights, it stands to reason that others would dislike cardio. Different strokes. :)

Apologies, I just don't like being attacked. Hope this doesn't get the thread closed, because I like not feeling alone!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I resent the implication that if you're NOT heavy lifting, you're wasting your time. And I can't lift 20 lb. dumbbells, so again it feels like: fail.

Bottom line: do what's best for YOU. I'm old, apparently weak, but I love cardio, I'm working with resistance bands and smaller weights and it feels great. I will probably never "lift heavy" in my life - I'm fine with that - but man, the self-satisfied commands of those who love it can be deafening.