Why am I not losing any weight or body fat?

Options

Replies

• skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That video is BRILLIANT. I'm emailing the link to myself for use in future debates :)
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    OP you are eating more than you think. Buy a food scale.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think i have reached a road block.

I haven't lost a single kg, i haven't lost a single % of body fat, nor has my BMI reduced.
    I work hard, I work really hard. I have a personal trainer who advices me on my nutrition, but nothing. nada. zero. To the point I feel that my partner is so embarrassed of being out with me.

ON TOP OF THAT, i am a regular 10km race runner - just completed 3 10km races in the month of July.

NUTRITION
    Breakfast:
    - I avoid carbs except breakfast - have either oats or wholemeal bread
    - 1 hard boil egg
    - 1 kiwi
    - 1 banana
    - 1 cup organic honey + warm water and lemon
    - -> I generally have to take a bit more in the breakfast like these because i have problem with low blood sugar levels and low blood pressure. i get dizzy very very easily - to the point i can faint

Lunch:
    - some days i'll have salad - hoping to make it 3 times a week
    - i avoid carbs - just have lightly stirfried vegetables with minimal oil and pinch of salt (i'm not big on salt)
    - either Chicken breast OR i'll usually have fish - i'm a fish lover

Snack:
    - apple
    - i am troubled by snacks because i have severe gastric problems and i'm advised to eat as often as i can and sometimes apples just make me feel so awful in the stomach
    - so sometimes i'll have a bowl of soup and a small bread bun wholemeal

Dinner:
    - i'll usually dine out with my partner - but i'll avoid carbs
    - e.g. last night i had grilled fish with salad and mash potatoes (sometimes i reward myself a little when i have worked hard for the day)
    - or Chinese dishes
    - Sushi - my biggest weakness is sushi - raw fish

Sorry if someone already covered this - didn't read through all the posts thoroughly . . . I was just wow'd by this as someone who also runs (and is currently in training for a 10K)

So by stating you avoid carbs, I'm assuming you mean starchy carbs since bananas have a very large amount of carbs in them (some bananas - depending on size - up to 40g, maybe more)

Anyways, how long have you been a runner for? And why do you not eat starchy carbs as a runner? I get you're not in the long distances, but you still need carbs (and some starchy ones at that, like bagels, pasta, etc) for nutrition. Some people may disagree but I have found my runs (I do 5K and 10K distances) are better when I've eaten starchy carbs (in moderation) as a regular part of my diet . . . carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc etc normally and then carbs like pasta or baked potatoes once or twice a week. I'm curious how you're running is going when you have such a low intake of carbs for someone who stated she's a regular 10K runner.

ETA: you state you usually avoid carbs but your example of what you had for dinner just yesterday includes mashed potatoes (maybe this was one time thing, maybe not) which you don't know how they're made - could have tons of cream or butter in them when made at a restaurant.

Also, I don't know the nutritional value of sushi because I don't eat it, but isn't one of the main ingredients rice? That's a whole lot of carbs right there, too.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    shoofly435 wrote: »
    OP - I have been where you are. I think you're over training and eating way too little . You mentioned your hair was falling out.

Given that intense training schedule you need to eat more than 1200 calories! I attempted a similar thing and didn't lose 1 pound in SIX months. Talk about frustrated.

So I bought 2 digital scales. One for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. And I radically cut back on exercise - the gym doesn't rule my life anymore. I weight train a couple times a week and take a yoga class (great for core conditioning) and if I'm not going out for pizza and beer I'll take a dance class for fun.

My body seems to be a lot happier without all the abuse I.e. training every day. Since I backed off that crazy schedule and started eating MORE, I've lost almost 8 lbs in 21 days.

5'6" female here.

ummm if she is eating too little then why is she not losing weight??????????
    Starvation mode. Duh.

Ummmm "starvation mode" is a complete myth. Please take the time to google and expand your knowledge. Thanks!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    OP - I have been where you are. I think you're over training and eating way too little . You mentioned your hair was falling out.

Given that intense training schedule you need to eat more than 1200 calories! I attempted a similar thing and didn't lose 1 pound in SIX months. Talk about frustrated.

So I bought 2 digital scales. One for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. And I radically cut back on exercise - the gym doesn't rule my life anymore. I weight train a couple times a week and take a yoga class (great for core conditioning) and if I'm not going out for pizza and beer I'll take a dance class for fun.

My body seems to be a lot happier without all the abuse I.e. training every day. Since I backed off that crazy schedule and started eating MORE, I've lost almost 8 lbs in 21 days.

5'6" female here.

Starvation mode. Duh.

Ummmm "starvation mode" is a complete myth. Please take the time to google and expand your knowledge. Thanks!

That was sarcasm :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

5'6" female here.

Starvation mode. Duh.

Ummmm pretty sure he was being sarcastic :bigsmile:
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    As everyone else stated, you're not logging your foods correctly. I also don't think you're eating enough quality food either. Put some freakin protein in your diet! Also you say you eat "low carb" but eat apples pretty consistently, which have a lot of carbs. A low carb isn't necessary either, as everyone else mentioned. I, however, am on a low carb diet as well. I eat low carb (between 100-135 per day give or take), however every 3rd or 4th day I have a carb load day. My logic (this is what works for me), is that 3-4 days is long enough to put my body into keto, and then on the carb day, the carbs I eat are immediately converted into pure energy. And when I carb load I *still* don't go over my calorie goal. I exercise 5-6 days a week, and eat around 1500-1600 calories a day. You should also get your TDEE, so you can more accurately eat the calories you need. I would *die* if I only ate 1200 calories a day. Die.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

5'6" female here.

Starvation mode. Duh.

Ummmm pretty sure he was being sarcastic :bigsmile:

tumblr_mnhrf1A79D1qickpao1_500.gif
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

5'6" female here.

Starvation mode. Duh.

That was sarcasm.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is actually a common problem with women who have PCOS. I've never experienced it, but I know others who have.
    Not entirely familiar, but as PCOS raises testosterone, if a woman had the genes for male pattern baldness, the testosterone could activate them. A woman with PCOS but without male pattern baldness genes wouldn't experience the hair loss.
  • lrachel011
    lrachel011 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 20% exercise and 80% food... Also just because you eat healthy doesn't mean you'll lose weight, you can eat 2000 calories of lettuce or 2000 calories of chocolate and you would weigh the same. You have to actually cut down on your intake, even just by a few hundred calories will make a huge difference in the long run.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

You sure told him....
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Hair loss is actually a common problem with women who have PCOS. I've never experienced it, but I know others who have.
    Not entirely familiar, but as PCOS raises testosterone, if a woman had the genes for male pattern baldness, the testosterone could activate them. A woman with PCOS but without male pattern baldness genes wouldn't experience the hair loss.

Yep. Both hair loss and cystic acne can occur due to PCOS, likely because of the way the individual's body handles dihydrotestosterone . . . I'd get to an endocrinologist or dermatologist for help there too. It's a lot easier to slow or stop androgenic alopecia than it is to make it grow back.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    rbchick66 wrote: »
    First you are probably gaining muscle.
    Next start taking measurements and get away from the scale for awhile, this will keep you from getting frustrated as out bodies fluctuate in weight throughout the week. I weight myself once a week at the most, on the same day first thing in the morning.
    Don't follow fad diets, your body needs 30-40% carbs 20% fats and 15% protein to be healthy. If you are not getting the proper nutrients your body will stock up. Make sure you take a multivitamin. Just remember have at least a 500 calorie deficit a day. 3500= 1 pound of fat
    Change up your workout, you don't have to do the same thing all the time or your body is going to adapt to it. Go run, swim, bike, do yoga, take some different classes. Weighs are awesome for building muscle, and cardio is good for your heart!
    DRINK WATER you seem to be doing a good job of that, but water is the most important thing you can put in your body! Drink half your body weight in ounces every day! You never want to lose water weight because once you drink water again that weight will come back. You want to focus on loosing fat.
    Last relax, the more you stress the more your body will store fat or make you want to eat. I know it can be frustrating I have been there. My own struggles have lead me to finding my career in exercise science and on my way to become a physical therapist. I hope this helps! You can do it! Don't let anyone get you down!!

bolded =/= 100% . . . I'm not in exercise science or anything (and I could be wrong, so please correct if I am genuinely wrong) but isn't all food made up of one or a combination of those macro nutrients? Shouldn't everything we eat, in whatever way, add up to 100%?? Unless there is something I don't understand . . . and I'm not being sarcastic I'm just confused here.

I do know though, from what she says she's doing there's a very, very small likelihood she's actually gaining significant amounts of muscle to make this kind of a difference.

VERY small.

Also - that whole thing about not drinking water = weight will come back when you drink water again . . . I don't think that's true. I drink a ton of water but when I increase my sodium intake I retain more of it, the intake of water doesn't change.

Maybe you're good at what you do, but I wouldn't trust you as my physical therapist.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Next start taking measurements and get away from the scale for awhile, this will keep you from getting frustrated as out bodies fluctuate in weight throughout the week. I weight myself once a week at the most, on the same day first thing in the morning.
    Don't follow fad diets, your body needs 30-40% carbs 20% fats and 15% protein to be healthy. If you are not getting the proper nutrients your body will stock up. Make sure you take a multivitamin. Just remember have at least a 500 calorie deficit a day. 3500= 1 pound of fat
    Change up your workout, you don't have to do the same thing all the time or your body is going to adapt to it. Go run, swim, bike, do yoga, take some different classes. Weighs are awesome for building muscle, and cardio is good for your heart!
    DRINK WATER you seem to be doing a good job of that, but water is the most important thing you can put in your body! Drink half your body weight in ounces every day! You never want to lose water weight because once you drink water again that weight will come back. You want to focus on loosing fat.
    Last relax, the more you stress the more your body will store fat or make you want to eat. I know it can be frustrating I have been there. My own struggles have lead me to finding my career in exercise science and on my way to become a physical therapist. I hope this helps! You can do it! Don't let anyone get you down!!

bolded =/= 100% . . . I'm not in exercise science or anything (and I could be wrong, so please correct if I am genuinely wrong) but isn't all food made up of one or a combination of those macro nutrients? Shouldn't everything we eat, in whatever way, add up to 100%?? Unless there is something I don't understand . . . and I'm not being sarcastic I'm just confused here.

I do know though, from what she says she's doing there's a very, very small likelihood she's actually gaining significant amounts of muscle to make this kind of a difference.

VERY small.

Also - that whole thing about not drinking water = weight will come back when you drink water again . . . I don't think that's true. I drink a ton of water but when I increase my sodium intake I retain more of it, the intake of water doesn't change.

Maybe you're good at what you do, but I wouldn't trust you as my physical therapist.

The most generous interpretation of the not adding to 100% is that the rest is flexible percentage to let you eat what you want.
    The least generous interpretation is that the other 25% is alcohol, which provides calories but isn't really a macro (most place it as carbs for simplicity). This interpretation is brought to you by the great dietitian Captain Morgan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Memorable words from the doctor:

"The error is in the calorie counting of the food."

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

This is exactly what's wrong with most people who say they are eating a deficit... They are simply lying to themselves and trying to blame something else besides their own lack of willpower to do what needs to be done to lose weight.

Put down the three of four cream cakes a day... That would be a start.

• acorsaut89
    Options

VERY small.

The most generous interpretation of the not adding to 100% is that the rest is flexible percentage to let you eat what you want.
    The least generous interpretation is that the other 25% is alcohol, which provides calories but isn't really a macro (most place it as carbs for simplicity). This interpretation is brought to you by the great dietitian Captain Morgan.

So not all food has macros in it? Like even if you eat food that is really not a great choice, it is still made up of some form of macro nutrient, no?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

VERY small.

So not all food has macros in it? Like even if you eat food that is really not a great choice, it is still made up of some form of macro nutrient, no?

That's not what they are saying. sigh - read the whole comment and the comment it refers to.

here it is - it's just a higher up comment

"Don't follow fad diets, your body needs 30-40% carbs 20% fats and 15% protein to be healthy"

only adds up to 75%
  • GA_belle
    GA_belle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    on a side note, the doctor who made that remark is my gynaecologist. I have pcos, and my consistent weight gain is a concern on my future for having a child.

I have to agree with most of the other comments that you are eating more calories than you think you are. PCOS is frustrating. I was diagnosed about 20 years ago and have had the symptoms since puberty. Search the boards here for PCOS and you will find information that might be useful to you. Many find low carb eating to be beneficial. This is because of the link between PCOS and insulin resistance. The sample of the diet you posted would not be low carb. It contains too much fruit and other carbs. Personally, I have never been able to maintain a low carb lifestyle long term so now I'm doing it the same way as every one else. Eating less and moving more. It's slower than when I was eating low carb, but I am losing and this is something I believe I can sustain.

Also, hair loss and acne could be related to the PCOS. Assuming your gyno tested your hormone levels for the PCOS diagnosis, you should talk to him/her about them and whether they might be causing these issues.