Why am I not losing any weight or body fat?

Options

Replies

• Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The math simply doesn't add up. I used to eat mashed potatoes by the vat. I'm still confounded to find out how many calories are in a cup of mashed potatoes (which isn't even a serving according to the old me). Heavy carbs (i'd throw bananas in there too) are always carrying more calories than you would guess. I'm eating closer to 1800 cals and my diet isn't all that dissimilar from yours. Except I won't eat out as much as you do. I think this is a major disconnect. I used to sprain my arm patting myself on the back for ordering salads when I went out. But salads aren't inherently healthy.

For instance, the Chili's boneless buffalo chicken salad is >1000 calories with 72g fat. A smokehouse burger is 1550 calories (fries are another 400+).

If you rely on someone else to make your food once a day and think you are eating 1200 calories you are way out of line. People eat out to enjoy food they like and almost all restaurants use this as carte blanche to add butter, cream, certainly a massive amount of salt, oil, etc to the food. Pick any chain restaurant and look at the nutrition chart. It will shock you.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Memorable words from the doctor:

"The error is in the calorie counting of the food."
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Except she wasn't counting, she was guessing.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    rbchick66 wrote: »
    First you are probably gaining muscle.
    Next start taking measurements and get away from the scale for awhile, this will keep you from getting frustrated as out bodies fluctuate in weight throughout the week. I weight myself once a week at the most, on the same day first thing in the morning.
    Don't follow fad diets, your body needs 30-40% carbs 20% fats and 15% protein to be healthy. If you are not getting the proper nutrients your body will stock up. Make sure you take a multivitamin. Just remember have at least a 500 calorie deficit a day. 3500= 1 pound of fat
    Change up your workout, you don't have to do the same thing all the time or your body is going to adapt to it. Go run, swim, bike, do yoga, take some different classes. Weighs are awesome for building muscle, and cardio is good for your heart!
    DRINK WATER you seem to be doing a good job of that, but water is the most important thing you can put in your body! Drink half your body weight in ounces every day! You never want to lose water weight because once you drink water again that weight will come back. You want to focus on loosing fat.
    Last relax, the more you stress the more your body will store fat or make you want to eat. I know it can be frustrating I have been there. My own struggles have lead me to finding my career in exercise science and on my way to become a physical therapist. I hope this helps! You can do it! Don't let anyone get you down!!

bolded =/= 100% . . . I'm not in exercise science or anything (and I could be wrong, so please correct if I am genuinely wrong) but isn't all food made up of one or a combination of those macro nutrients? Shouldn't everything we eat, in whatever way, add up to 100%?? Unless there is something I don't understand . . . and I'm not being sarcastic I'm just confused here.

I do know though, from what she says she's doing there's a very, very small likelihood she's actually gaining significant amounts of muscle to make this kind of a difference.

VERY small.

Also - that whole thing about not drinking water = weight will come back when you drink water again . . . I don't think that's true. I drink a ton of water but when I increase my sodium intake I retain more of it, the intake of water doesn't change.

Maybe you're good at what you do, but I wouldn't trust you as my physical therapist.

The most generous interpretation of the not adding to 100% is that the rest is flexible percentage to let you eat what you want.
    The least generous interpretation is that the other 25% is alcohol, which provides calories but isn't really a macro (most place it as carbs for simplicity). This interpretation is brought to you by the great dietitian Captain Morgan.

So not all food has macros in it? Like even if you eat food that is really not a great choice, it is still made up of some form of macro nutrient, no?
    No, just that the other 25% could be any combination of fat, protein, and carbs. Like those are absolute minimum percentages. That's the most generous interpretation I can think of.
    Other than alcohol, yes, all calories have to come from one of the three macros, and all food (food being things that has calories) has to have some kind of macro nutrients.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, did you say you have a CUP of honey for breakfast? Or is a cup of water with honey?? How much honey? Just like sugar, honey has a lot of calories, and should be weighed or measured exactly.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, did you say you have a CUP of honey for breakfast? Or is a cup of water with honey?? How much honey? Just like sugar, honey has a lot of calories, and should be weighed or measured exactly.

If its 2 TBSP or more, might as well have a coke. At least that way there's the benefit of some caffeine ...
  • senecarr
    Options
    Next start taking measurements and get away from the scale for awhile, this will keep you from getting frustrated as out bodies fluctuate in weight throughout the week. I weight myself once a week at the most, on the same day first thing in the morning.
    Don't follow fad diets, your body needs 30-40% carbs 20% fats and 15% protein to be healthy. If you are not getting the proper nutrients your body will stock up. Make sure you take a multivitamin. Just remember have at least a 500 calorie deficit a day. 3500= 1 pound of fat
    Change up your workout, you don't have to do the same thing all the time or your body is going to adapt to it. Go run, swim, bike, do yoga, take some different classes. Weighs are awesome for building muscle, and cardio is good for your heart!
    DRINK WATER you seem to be doing a good job of that, but water is the most important thing you can put in your body! Drink half your body weight in ounces every day! You never want to lose water weight because once you drink water again that weight will come back. You want to focus on loosing fat.
    Last relax, the more you stress the more your body will store fat or make you want to eat. I know it can be frustrating I have been there. My own struggles have lead me to finding my career in exercise science and on my way to become a physical therapist. I hope this helps! You can do it! Don't let anyone get you down!!

bolded =/= 100% . . . I'm not in exercise science or anything (and I could be wrong, so please correct if I am genuinely wrong) but isn't all food made up of one or a combination of those macro nutrients? Shouldn't everything we eat, in whatever way, add up to 100%?? Unless there is something I don't understand . . . and I'm not being sarcastic I'm just confused here.

I do know though, from what she says she's doing there's a very, very small likelihood she's actually gaining significant amounts of muscle to make this kind of a difference.

VERY small.

Also - that whole thing about not drinking water = weight will come back when you drink water again . . . I don't think that's true. I drink a ton of water but when I increase my sodium intake I retain more of it, the intake of water doesn't change.

Maybe you're good at what you do, but I wouldn't trust you as my physical therapist.

The most generous interpretation of the not adding to 100% is that the rest is flexible percentage to let you eat what you want.
    The least generous interpretation is that the other 25% is alcohol, which provides calories but isn't really a macro (most place it as carbs for simplicity). This interpretation is brought to you by the great dietitian Captain Morgan.

So not all food has macros in it? Like even if you eat food that is really not a great choice, it is still made up of some form of macro nutrient, no?

That's not what they are saying. sigh - read the whole comment and the comment it refers to.

here it is - it's just a higher up comment

"Don't follow fad diets, your body needs 30-40% carbs 20% fats and 15% protein to be healthy"

only adds up to 75%
    LOL, at this point, I'm not sure who you're correcting. Arcosault pointed out the not adding to 100%, and she was also the person asking if my comment meant not all food has macros. Both of us knew the percentages didn't add to 100%.
    My best guess is that rbchick meant to put percentage ranges on all three macros, but didn't, like 30-40% carbos, 20-40% fat, 15-40% protein, but I find the idea of leaving 25% of your calories for alcohol (which could be considered a non-macro form of calories) to be the funniest interpretation because that's a lot of alcohol in one's diet.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

VERY small.

That's not what they are saying. sigh - read the whole comment and the comment it refers to.

"Don't follow fad diets, your body needs 30-40% carbs 20% fats and 15% protein to be healthy"

only adds up to 75%
    I find the idea of leaving 25% of your calories for alcohol (which could be considered a non-macro form of calories) to be the funniest interpretation because that's a lot of alcohol in one's diet.
    You've obviously never met my ex.

• fatcity66
    Options
  • senecarr
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

VERY small.

only adds up to 75%
    I find the idea of leaving 25% of your calories for alcohol (which could be considered a non-macro form of calories) to be the funniest interpretation because that's a lot of alcohol in one's diet.
    Was he sure to get the rest of his calories in the proper ratios?
  • WBB55
    Options

VERY small.

only adds up to 75%
    I know jokes are hard to read online. I was taking a light-hearted jab at my tragically alcoholic exboyfriend
  • fatcity66
    Options

VERY small.

only adds up to 75%

^^ I'm sure this was a joke as well. LOL
  • WBB55
    Options

VERY small.

only adds up to 75%

Oh... I'm very dense sometimes.
  • senecarr
    Options

VERY small.

only adds up to 75%
    I know jokes are hard to read online. I was taking a light-hearted jab at my tragically alcoholic exboyfriend
    I caught that. I wasn't implying alcoholism is fine if you get the rest of your food from a proper macronutrient mix.
  • senecarr
    Options

VERY small.

only adds up to 75%

It's ok. Someone wise told me jokes are hard to read online.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    shoofly435 wrote: »
    OP - I have been where you are. I think you're over training and eating way too little . You mentioned your hair was falling out.

Given that intense training schedule you need to eat more than 1200 calories! I attempted a similar thing and didn't lose 1 pound in SIX months. Talk about frustrated.

So I bought 2 digital scales. One for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. And I radically cut back on exercise - the gym doesn't rule my life anymore. I weight train a couple times a week and take a yoga class (great for core conditioning) and if I'm not going out for pizza and beer I'll take a dance class for fun.

My body seems to be a lot happier without all the abuse I.e. training every day. Since I backed off that crazy schedule and started eating MORE, I've lost almost 8 lbs in 21 days.

5'6" female here.

ummm if she is eating too little then why is she not losing weight??????????
    Starvation mode. Duh.

Ummmm "starvation mode" is a complete myth. Please take the time to google and expand your knowledge. Thanks!

Ummmm pretty sure he was being sarcastic :bigsmile:

tumblr_mnhrf1A79D1qickpao1_500.gif

That's exactly what I did.... lol
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

VERY small.

only adds up to 75%

It's ok. Someone wise told me jokes are hard to read online.

giphy.gif
  • 218Beth
    218Beth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So I'm an idiot and just restarting here. Why the emphasis on weighing food? If I'm eating a small gala apple for snack, I'm using the DB for foods here and selecting small gala apple to add to my log. Is weighing it really going to make that much of a difference for it?

I NEED to measure better for dinners and weekends, I can see that already from my log. But my dinner last night included steamed veggies (the basic corn, carrots, peas and beans mix) and the default serving was 2/3 cup, per the bag. My serving was close to that but would weighing have really made a difference?

I figure I'm doing good just by tracking what I'm eating at this stage (see first sentence) and as long as I'm close in portion size and making better choices, for me, that's fair game because the act of tracking is tends to stop me from pigging out on snacks.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    218Beth wrote: »
    So I'm an idiot and just restarting here. Why the emphasis on weighing food? If I'm eating a small gala apple for snack, I'm using the DB for foods here and selecting small gala apple to add to my log. Is weighing it really going to make that much of a difference for it?

I NEED to measure better for dinners and weekends, I can see that already from my log. But my dinner last night included steamed veggies (the basic corn, carrots, peas and beans mix) and the default serving was 2/3 cup, per the bag. My serving was close to that but would weighing have really made a difference?

I figure I'm doing good just by tracking what I'm eating at this stage (see first sentence) and as long as I'm close in portion size and making better choices, for me, that's fair game because the act of tracking is tends to stop me from pigging out on snacks.

watch this then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • 218Beth
    218Beth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ok, I watched it. Semantics but I'd call that cup of oats a heaping cup, not a level one. ;-P And I underestimate PB but I take the point, more or less. Still not sure I'm willing to deal with a food scale right now.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses, but the first thing that jumped out at me was 1 cup of honey in the morning! Really? I can't be reading that right.