Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    sarieth05 wrote: »
    And even if you don't use it now, your little'uns (if I remember correctly, you already have a little girl?) will get even more bento soon enough!
    Pregnant with my first, and it's a little boy so the bento boxes I picked out were totally for me cause I'm a child. :D Still will be nice for packing snacks and stuff in the car! The plastic one with the four characters on it has some really nice snap locks to close it. I'll have to test to see how well it holds liquids and stuff.

Just put some water in the box and leave it on it's side for about an hour to test. If it doesn't have a rubber seal, I generally don't trust that something will be water tight.

Growing old is easy, growing up is optional. Nothing wrong with cutsey boxes for yourself. Most people posting in this thread would probably agree.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yf5nwroi59zb.jpg
    My husband is such a sweetie !! When I got up this morning he wispered "Don't forget your lunch, it's in the fridge". I go get it and just assume it's in baggies and such. Nope , he did it Bento style !! I was just happy and feeling love when I thought he just threw me something together so I wouldn't have to eat fast food. When I got in the lunch bag at work and saw he put in some thought to try and do like he saw me doing over the last week , it made me cry !!!! Lol ! I'm one lucky woman !
    He packed a bottle of Kombucha, then fruit & nuts for 1st snack, a corn beef wrap with sweet peppers & hummus for lunch, plus Thai Chili meatball & energy bites. All for 825 cals.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    yf5nwroi59zb.jpg
    My husband is such a sweetie !! When I got up this morning he wispered "Don't forget your lunch, it's in the fridge". I go get it and just assume it's in baggies and such. Nope , he did it Bento style !! I was just happy and feeling love when I thought he just threw me something together so I wouldn't have to eat fast food. When I got in the lunch bag at work and saw he put in some thought to try and do like he saw me doing over the last week , it made me cry !!!! Lol ! I'm one lucky woman !
    He packed a bottle of Kombucha, then fruit & nuts for 1st snack, a corn beef wrap with sweet peppers & hummus for lunch, plus Thai Chili meatball & energy bites. All for 825 cals.

Aww. He's a keeper for sure!

I don't know if I'll get to bento this week or not. It's been a crazy week and the food I have hasn't been bento-worthy.

• HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I keep pawing my bento stuff, which is packed away, sides for one lunch box. I fix hubby lunch today, only for his boss to take him out to lunch >.> Leftover cheese broccoli & chicken rice. Forgot to take a picture, boo boo!
    I can;t wait to try out some of these lovely ideas. I am still here, just lurking away.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Options
    I got home from work , an my husband said your package came. I was confused because I didn't order any thing. I opened it up and Holy Bento !!! My baby got me the red bunny bento box I was debating with myself over; I wanted it , but didn't need it. I don't know if he's being more supportive , or if my attitude is different. All my other diets I've felt like he was alway trying to sabatage me, this time around he's doing everything he can to help me along. I ask him why he bought it , when I didn't need it ? He said "This has seemed to help your motivation. You seem like you're so giddy over these little container. Normally when you're trying to lose weight you're a little crabby and short tempered. If they'll keep you happy and going in the right direction , I'll buy you 10 more !!!! " that's twice today that man has made me cry !!! Lol ! gp9b1xbvbxjf.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options

Bahaha, the thought of my husband doing that... it's one of the 6 impossible things I think of before breakfast. He's quite happy to eat any onigiri I make though. Makes your husband awesome!

Today I have red wine vinegar chicken. It's been ages since I made it. Nomnomnomnom! ^_^
    h7xwjrem9a4m.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I got home from work , an my husband said your package came. I was confused because I didn't order any thing. I opened it up and Holy Bento !!! My baby got me the red bunny bento box I was debating with myself over; I wanted it , but didn't need it. I don't know if he's being more supportive , or if my attitude is different. All my other diets I've felt like he was alway trying to sabatage me, this time around he's doing everything he can to help me along. I ask him why he bought it , when I didn't need it ? He said "This has seemed to help your motivation. You seem like you're so giddy over these little container. Normally when you're trying to lose weight you're a little crabby and short tempered. If they'll keep you happy and going in the right direction , I'll buy you 10 more !!!! " that's twice today that man has made me cry !!! Lol !

Awesome! You know you're gonna have to learn how to make rice bunnies now to go with your box, right?
  • Sandyslosenit
    edited July 2015
    Options

Awesome! You know you're gonna have to learn how to make rice bunnies now to go with your box, right?

Ya , I've got a lot to learn ! Lol ! Tried to make my own sushi , it just fell apart. So I bought some for tomorrow's Bento. There has to be a trick to the rice , mines to light and fluffy. I have the bunny egg mold, can I use that ?
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    That bento is so cuuuuute.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Options
    Today I have red wine vinegar chicken. It's been ages since I made it. Nomnomnomnom! ^_^
    h7xwjrem9a4m.jpg
    This looks so good ! Now , I need to start making the cute veggie shapes !
  • mangrothian
    Options

Ya , I've got a lot to learn ! Lol ! Tried to make my own sushi , it just fell apart. So I bought some for tomorrow's Bento. There has to be a trick to the rice , mines to light and fluffy. I have the bunny egg mold, can I use that ?

I don't think the bunny egg mould would quite work tbh. As to the rice, it depends on what type of rice you're using, and of course how you cook it. As always, I refer to Makiko from Just Bento; she has a great article on how to cook Japanese rice. After that, it's just wet hands and creativity ;)
  • Sandyslosenit
    Options
    Thanks for the link, mangrothian ! I'm going to get lost in that site for hours !!! Owww , what fun ! I started laughing when it said " rice should not be FLUFFY! " lol ! I new I wasn't doing something right, now I know I'm buying the wrong rice.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Options
    fs2lvojq18ux.jpg
    My Bento for tomorrow. A bottle of Kombucha , fruit & cheese stick for 1st snack. Thai Chili Meatballs , sautéed veggies, & fried quinoa for lunch. California rolls with soy sauce & wasabi for 2nd snack.
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I use bentos for my son's lunch but never thought of doing it for myself. Great idea! Oh and I love Daiso!

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    ... it's one of the 6 impossible things I think of before breakfast. ]

I think I love you :heart: after my own geek heart.

• zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    fs2lvojq18ux.jpg
    My Bento for tomorrow. A bottle of Kombucha , fruit & cheese stick for 1st snack. Thai Chili Meatballs , sautéed veggies, & fried quinoa for lunch. California rolls with soy sauce & wasabi for 2nd snack.
    Ur bento look amazing.. especially that thai chili meatball.. yum yum..
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Ah, references~I concur ♥ mangrothian, you're awesomeness.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    bunnyxhime wrote: »

If I can remember the other 5, do I get to kill the jabberwocky?
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Yes, I will bestow upon you the vorpal sword.

• mangrothian
    Options

Yes, I will bestow upon you the vorpal sword.

Wunderbar! From the spoils of my kill I shall make Jabberwocky soboro with egg bentos! Jabberwocky soboro for all!
    40nmipf7kgow.jpg