I am aiming for 4lb a week loss! Is this realistic

Options

Replies

• MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    millsrobm wrote: »
    Anorexics actually eat nothing. Maybe they don't eat at all, maybe they throw up what they eat, maybe they eat and then spit out what they are chewing. Those anorexics actually begin to have the same metabolism as a child starving. That's how they end up looking the way they do. But for the rest of us who eat very low calories our bodies adjust to burning calories so that we don't lose that precious fat (that when we first became people) that gets us through the winter. And because we usually to revert to our regular way of eating now we are dealing with a higher set point for losing weight.

What? This is absolutely not true; most do eat, but usually extremely restricted. I'm not sure where you're getting any of your information from here.

Are you kidding me? I worked on an eating disorders unit and this is exactly what they do. I would like to you to provide me with your research. I WORKED ON AN EATING DISORDER UNIT!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Anorexics actually eat nothing. Maybe they don't eat at all, maybe they throw up what they eat, maybe they eat and then spit out what they are chewing. Those anorexics actually begin to have the same metabolism as a child starving. That's how they end up looking the way they do. But for the rest of us who eat very low calories our bodies adjust to burning calories so that we don't lose that precious fat (that when we first became people) that gets us through the winter. And because we usually to revert to our regular way of eating now we are dealing with a higher set point for losing weight.

What? This is absolutely not true; most do eat, but usually extremely restricted. I'm not sure where you're getting any of your information from here.

from what i have seen, they do eat, and obsess over food, but restrict themselves to a few choice "safe foods"
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I didn't make the claim, I was refuting the claim. So get the hell of my back!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Well this escalated quickly.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Are you kidding me? I worked on an eating disorders unit and this is exactly what they do. I would like to you to provide me with your research. I WORKED ON AN EATING DISORDER UNIT!

I visited pro-ana websites... some of the women managed to eat nothing, but some as "high" as 300 calories. I mean really. You can't put everyone in the same box.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Honestly no. 4 pounds a week is unrealistic and only eating 800 calories a day is extremely unhealthy and will end up doing you more harm than good in the long run.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Okay, what I would like is to see other studies supporting this.

You're on the internet. It's a wealth of information!
  • millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Well, It's only an N-1 study, but having been treated for this very thing I can tell you that I definitely ate. (As did the others I knew, but this is only hearsay, so I won't count it).
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    No. Your body will go into starvation mode at that rate of eating/ exercising. Not healthy at all.

Starvation mode doesn't exist.

OP seriously, with that LITTLE amount to lose, you would have to create a horrendous deficit. The goal is unrealistic and unhealthy.

^^ this on both parts.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Then you will understand why human studies haven't been repeated multiple times over large populations like the Minnesota experiment.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    tinicia wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    Well maybe she will have a rethink because virtually everyone has said what was realistic and why.
    Exactly! I most definitely have... I want to be realistic because if I don't reach my goal every week I will be disappointed and probably just go to kfc lol so I im going to aim for 2lbs a week x

That was on P2
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

You really need to dial it down.

Your still here
This discussion has been closed.