Keto lean bulk/recomp

Options
2»

Replies

• hotpink_meow
    hotpink_meow Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't dare try a bulk on 30 grams of carbs....guess I love the pump I get slamming carbs after the workout. You may be more successful on a carb cycling diet, but I'm #TeamDonuts for life.

3ixuk09i5avq.jpg

Hehehe

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This is a tough one! On a normal diet you want to consume enough grams of protein to match your body weight in pounds. However, on a keto diet, your body will turn protein into glucose which can kick you out of keto.
    So really you can't up your protein without first upping your fat. This will bulk you up but make sure it's good fats and not saturated fats!!!!
    Also, you guessed it, the majority of the weight you will gain will be fat but it's just like a carb bulk, you will gain fat and water to help muscle.

In theory, if you wanted to stay as lean as possible, you could just bring both fats and protein up slightly and gradually increase until you start to notice you're gaining fat and then just keep it at that level.

I'd probably do what most people are suggesting and cycle carbs. I find it best to do it every 2 weeks but everyone's different so see what works for you.

wut????

Well, the statement that too much protein can throw you out of keto is right, and then it went downhill... I have no experience bulking so I'll defer to others.

I agree with the theory that bulking on keto may be hard. If nothing else, keto makes it easy to lose because it has a very high satiation (is that a word?). Getting a ton of calories on mostly fat may be difficult for you. And it's not required to keep lean (as others mentioned, that's from keeping to a smaller surplus).

If you want to try keto, good luck to you! There are ways to help get calories in like bullet proof coffee that could really help by providing fats but not much volume. I've never tried it (sounds gross to me), but a lot of people say that it just gets super frothy, and it's tasty (apparently the key is that you have to blend it). And butter and oil on everything.
  • PalasVeronica
    PalasVeronica Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend you research Dr. Volek's and Dr. Phinney's work on nutritional ketosis. Their books, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" and "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" explain in detailed but digestible terms why and how it is possible to build muscular mass on a prolonged state of nutritional ketosis.

I've been on a strict ketogenic diet for seven months now (under 30g of carbs daily), been on a regular lifting program for nearly three of those months, and I'm definitely building muscle. Now, I'm new at lifting, so a big part of my gains are probably "newbie gains," but I'm definitely gaining. I'm losing fat at a much higher rate, of course, but gaining muscle all the same.

Based on all the research and reading I've done in these past months (including Drs. Phinney and Volek's work), the gist of the "Fat vs. Carb" debate seems to come down to this: worrying about carbs when on nutritional ketosis is like worrying about diesel when you're running a gasoline-based engine. Carb-loading is only relevant when your body is using glucose and glycogen as main fuel, which is not the case while in ketosis. This is what I've understood, anyway, especially when considering the reported absence of the "hitting the wall" effect among ketotic athletes during the research studies.

Drs. Volek and Phinney do a much better job at explaining, but I hope I could help a bit. :)

A final note: whether a certain program / diet / system works ultimately comes down to each individual. There may be certain aspects of a program that might not work as well as you'd like, and certain others that work beautifully. The only way to make certain something works for you is to try it out for a short period of time and monitor your reactions and progress. Keto has decidedly worked well for me both for losing fat and building muscle, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work as well for others.

Happy journey to a healthy self!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I strongly recommend you research Dr. Volek's and Dr. Phinney's work on nutritional ketosis. Their books, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" and "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" explain in detailed but digestible terms why and how it is possible to build muscular mass on a prolonged state of nutritional ketosis.

I've been on a strict ketogenic diet for seven months now (under 30g of carbs daily), been on a regular lifting program for nearly three of those months, and I'm definitely building muscle. Now, I'm new at lifting, so a big part of my gains are probably "newbie gains," but I'm definitely gaining. I'm losing fat at a much higher rate, of course, but gaining muscle all the same.

Based on all the research and reading I've done in these past months (including Drs. Phinney and Volek's work), the gist of the "Fat vs. Carb" debate seems to come down to this: worrying about carbs when on nutritional ketosis is like worrying about diesel when you're running a gasoline-based engine. Carb-loading is only relevant when your body is using glucose and glycogen as main fuel, which is not the case while in ketosis. This is what I've understood, anyway, especially when considering the reported absence of the "hitting the wall" effect among ketotic athletes during the research studies.

Drs. Volek and Phinney do a much better job at explaining, but I hope I could help a bit. :)

A final note: whether a certain program / diet / system works ultimately comes down to each individual. There may be certain aspects of a program that might not work as well as you'd like, and certain others that work beautifully. The only way to make certain something works for you is to try it out for a short period of time and monitor your reactions and progress. Keto has decidedly worked well for me both for losing fat and building muscle, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work as well for others.

Happy journey to a healthy self!

How are you determining that you are gaining muscle?

I, too, am very curious on this topic, so i am following.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I know I wont be adding muscle, as I am in a reasonably heavy deficit, but my partner lost weight and gained some muscle doing keto many years ago. He isn't interested in keto now because he has food phobias and can't stand the feel of fat in his mouth, but I have been keto for 7 months and lifting the entire time.

I don't find I lack energy!

I don't have any good picture examples on hand, as I don't usually take nude pics of my partner haha. But he went from 90kg to 69kg and certainly gained muscle mass, he added plenty of cm to his arms and thighs. He was not working out in the first pic.

90kg:
    1fwf8m.jpg

69kg:
    30huaki.jpg

About 73kg, when he was attending at Mount Crossfit and they had a pic of him on their website. They promote low carb and paleo eating there. Think he was warming up for a clean & jerk:
    wusbp2.jpg

He cut to about 63kg I think, then bulked, cut and bulked one more time. All on low carb. Now he doesn't care about bulking or cutting and works on strength so is a lot bigger @76kg these days.

I can't speak for my body composition but have lost 80lbs and gained some strength. I am sure I have lost muscle mass but I have not tried a bulk or cut cycle. I will be when I am closer to goal body size.

I have the luxury of working out whenever I feel like it though as a stay at home mum with her own olympic bar and plates. So I choose the time of day that I feel the best.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I know I wont be adding muscle, as I am in a reasonably heavy deficit, but my partner lost weight and gained some muscle doing keto many years ago. He isn't interested in keto now because he has food phobias and can't stand the feel of fat in his mouth, but I have been keto for 7 months and lifting the entire time.

I don't find I lack energy!

I don't have any good picture examples on hand, as I don't usually take nude pics of my partner haha. But he went from 90kg to 69kg and certainly gained muscle mass, he added plenty of cm to his arms and thighs. He was not working out in the first pic.

90kg:
    1fwf8m.jpg

69kg:
    30huaki.jpg

About 73kg, when he was attending at Mount Crossfit and they had a pic of him on their website. They promote low carb and paleo eating there. Think he was warming up for a clean & jerk:
    wusbp2.jpg

He cut to about 63kg I think, then bulked, cut and bulked one more time. All on low carb. Now he doesn't care about bulking or cutting and works on strength so is a lot bigger @76kg these days.

I can't speak for my body composition but have lost 80lbs and gained some strength. I am sure I have lost muscle mass but I have not tried a bulk or cut cycle. I will be when I am closer to goal body size.

I have the luxury of working out whenever I feel like it though as a stay at home mum with her own olympic bar and plates. So I choose the time of day that I feel the best.

Impressive results here. One thing you have to remember, however, is that for building muscle you want to eat higher protein but that's not really conducive of a keto diet since excess protein will get converted to carbs and, as noted before, it tends to bring people out of keto when they eat higher protein. So low carb is often the recommended version for those who want to control carbs rather than a true keto diet. I have also yet to see any convincing evidence that keto performs well in sports, particularly high energy production sports such as Olympic lifting and sprinting.

Good luck to you going forward but remember to be flexible and open minded once you've decided you are past your weight loss. You may need to find another way to maintain or bulk/cut if that's the way you want to go.
  • Bansh3e
    Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Dude, if you refeed is like you are eating carbs everyday.Lets say you eat 30c 6 days and then on the seventh day you eat 1000 carbs thats 1180 carbs.Its the same *kitten* as you will eat 170 carbs everyday.Try to look at the weekly carbs total.If you like to eat high carbs just once a week its fine.Do what you love everyday and it will become something that you will enjoy doing.IF you like one refeed a week and 30 g of carbs during post workout do that, but i will recommend to eat 60 grams of carbs post workout because during workouts your body uses just 60 g of carbs.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    AlexEtheridge1996 Posts: 65 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bansh3e wrote: »
    Dude, if you refeed is like you are eating carbs everyday.Lets say you eat 30c 6 days and then on the seventh day you eat 1000 carbs thats 1180 carbs.Its the same *kitten* as you will eat 170 carbs everyday.Try to look at the weekly carbs total.If you like to eat high carbs just once a week its fine.Do what you love everyday and it will become something that you will enjoy doing.IF you like one refeed a week and 30 g of carbs during post workout do that, but i will recommend to eat 60 grams of carbs post workout because during workouts your body uses just 60 g of carbs.
    You're saying your body uses 60g of carbs during a workout? What if you dont eat carbs haha. Very precise bro science.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Bansh3e wrote: »
    You're saying your body uses 60g of carbs during a workout? What if you dont eat carbs haha. Very precise bro science.

If you aren't keto adapted you aren't likely to use carbs for fuel unless you have enough protein to convert to carbs, which is possible if you are on a higher protein diet and this is why low carb rather than keto is the norm for lifters. You always have some carbs in your body since there are parts of your brain that do not have mitochondria and thus can only produce ATP from the the break down of carbs.