Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    I forgot to share my latest NSV with you.

I went to a baby shower Saturday, and there was homemade cupcakes, veggies and dip, nuts, chocolate covered pretzel sticks, watermelon, pistachio salad, and candy. I filled 2 small plates with veggies and little bit of dip, 1 pretzel, watermelon, mixed nuts, (just a few) 4 buttermints, (which I shared with Mr. Mo) and a small scoop of pistachio salad. I totally skipped the cupcakes!!! I didn't even feel like I was missing out because everyone that ate one, had blue lips and tongue.

Nice! What is pistachio salad? Sounds yummy.

Instant pistachio pudding mix is combined with whipped topping, miniature marshmallows, crushed pineapple, and nuts. This particular salad had a few too many marshmallows for me. I'm sure everyone makes theirs different, but this one was pretty good and not super heavy.

I thought we were the only people who made that! My mom makes it every Christmas. She calls it "snow salad". LOL

Marshmallows, pudding and whipped cream - yep, salad.

Yea my sister makes that too. I love it. She also makes one with cherry pie filling (it may be the picture below) and that is super tasty too!

My grandma made it at Thanksgiving. She called it Watergate Salad.

Speaking of cherry pie filling - has anyone tried the dessert where you substitute all the liquid ingredients in chocolate cake with a can of cherry pie filling? This is relevant to my interests.

If this is a thing, I need it in my life mouth PDQ.

You can mix most cake mixes with pumpkin (or pureed beans if you're into protein - black beans are actually kind of awesome in brownies because the texture is very dense and fudgey), so I would imagine something pectin-y like cherry pie filling would probably work fine too (heck, there's an old Weight Watchers "recipe" where you mix diet pop with cake mix and it still works.)

I'm not a big cherry fan (I do like fresh ones, but not so much in stuff usually) so I haven't tried it, but I've definitely done some lazy baking with pumpkin and bean and it's totally edible.

Just stop with the so-easy-even-Ythannah-will-make-it dessert ideas... now I want Pistachio Salad and Cherry Fluff Dessert Salad and pumpkin/black bean mix cake. Stop. Now.

:s

If you can manage to keep it to a reasonable portion, the black bean brownies etc are actually pretty doable and have passable macros for most people, if you care - I used to make them on 1200/day all the time and eat them for breakfast, haha. Depends on the mix you buy, obviously, but still.

Mix the pumpkin one with spice cake or similar.

I am normally a pretty big baking snob with everything from scratch and best-quality and all that nonsense, but it goes out the window if I just want to eat something sweet and not share it with anyone. I'm also the queen of making myself one single cookie. Just one. In the toaster oven.

Are you throwing pureed black beans into a chocolate cake mix or a brownie mix? And what kind of quantity?

I don't actually have "macros" as such, I just try to hit 90 grams of protein a day. The rest is dictated more by IBS than anything else. Says the woman currently eating leftover Duncan Hines frosting out of the tub... with an ice cream bar stick.

Maybe I should save some for my healthy, protein-packed brownies?

Just reading this gave me goosebumps! I CANNOT stand touching any kind of unfinished wood....I sadly cannot enjoy any kind of Popsicle or ice cream on a stick :/

Ohh, sorry it affected you so strongly!

I can't stand the taste of them. I wish they didn't come at the end of the bar, that kind of spoils it. Probably why I mostly stick to drumstick-type cones. But this was a PC Blue Menu kefir bar... love kefir.

The other taste that bothers me is the metallic taste from metal water bottles. I prefer plastic, even if it leeches all kinds of evil chemicals into my water.

Glass water bottles for me. I LOVE glass ones.

I'd break them in a day. I can't have glass ANYTHING in my house, and I don't even have pets or children! ;)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Ugh. I was still sad about Cecil the lion's death, but I read this morning that the northern white rhino is about to be extinct. There's only one male left in the world, and he's old and has a low sperm count. Even if he was able to impregnate one of the females (three left), it would take years and years and constant 24/7 protection to save the species. They were hunted down for their horns :(

Poachers make my blood boil!
    Totally agree. I hate poachers. :angry:
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Does anyone have any sites that they would recommend that would show good form videos for lifting?

Never used any myself, but I hear that nerdfitness is really good, and I believe fitnessfrog has videos as well.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Yay! Hi @Susieq_1994!!!!!! :smiley:

Hello. :blush: It's been a while.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So all of you who told me about the new Quest bar flavors I hadn't tried are in BIG trouble ;) (ok well, really *I* am, because they're both my new favorites). I bought Cookies and Cream and Mint Chocolate Chunk, and um...yeah. I have to eat them in 1/5 and 1/3 of a bar segments because they taste like dessert to me lol... SO good!

I've been doing really well with my C25K and just walking a lot more in general- I can tell my legs are getting significantly smaller in my quads/hamstrings, which is cool. I feel stronger; so far eating more calories and moving more isn't messing with my weight too much (rate of loss has slowed down, but I expected that and tbh I was losing pretty fast before anyway).

I've got 6.9 lbs to go until my ultimate goal, but even then If I stay the same weight I am today, it's ok. I just want to shave some more off before my consults, so I can get the best results possible. I do know, though, that a lot of it left is just skin, so whether I hit 120 is kind of moot. 126 is fine, too.

It's kind of a nice feeling to finally be in the, "Not as stressed about it anymore" group. I'm focusing now on aesthetics and fitness (2 5Ks scheduled and paid for in October and I want to be in decent shape so surgical recovery doesn't kill me).
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI to all of you Cheesecake lovers...Today is National Cheesecake Day!
    I'm not huge on cheesecake (runs to hide) but if I had some sitting in front of me, I'd sure eat it!
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the cheers.

These are the two sets I got:

Satisfies my jewellery needs while being practical.

I like! They look so cute! I just clip my Zip on and it's plain ol' charcoal. I'm debating if I want to upgrade to the Charge, but not sure if the HR monitor makes it much more accurate?
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    @xLoveLikeWinterx Great job!
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I went to a baby shower Saturday, and there was homemade cupcakes, veggies and dip, nuts, chocolate covered pretzel sticks, watermelon, pistachio salad, and candy. I filled 2 small plates with veggies and little bit of dip, 1 pretzel, watermelon, mixed nuts, (just a few) 4 buttermints, (which I shared with Mr. Mo) and a small scoop of pistachio salad. I totally skipped the cupcakes!!! I didn't even feel like I was missing out because everyone that ate one, had blue lips and tongue.

Instant pistachio pudding mix is combined with whipped topping, miniature marshmallows, crushed pineapple, and nuts. This particular salad had a few too many marshmallows for me. I'm sure everyone makes theirs different, but this one was pretty good and not super heavy.

I thought we were the only people who made that! My mom makes it every Christmas. She calls it "snow salad". LOL

Marshmallows, pudding and whipped cream - yep, salad.

Yea my sister makes that too. I love it. She also makes one with cherry pie filling (it may be the picture below) and that is super tasty too!

My grandma made it at Thanksgiving. She called it Watergate Salad.

Speaking of cherry pie filling - has anyone tried the dessert where you substitute all the liquid ingredients in chocolate cake with a can of cherry pie filling? This is relevant to my interests.

If this is a thing, I need it in my life mouth PDQ.

You can mix most cake mixes with pumpkin (or pureed beans if you're into protein - black beans are actually kind of awesome in brownies because the texture is very dense and fudgey), so I would imagine something pectin-y like cherry pie filling would probably work fine too (heck, there's an old Weight Watchers "recipe" where you mix diet pop with cake mix and it still works.)

I'm not a big cherry fan (I do like fresh ones, but not so much in stuff usually) so I haven't tried it, but I've definitely done some lazy baking with pumpkin and bean and it's totally edible.

Just stop with the so-easy-even-Ythannah-will-make-it dessert ideas... now I want Pistachio Salad and Cherry Fluff Dessert Salad and pumpkin/black bean mix cake. Stop. Now.

:s

If you can manage to keep it to a reasonable portion, the black bean brownies etc are actually pretty doable and have passable macros for most people, if you care - I used to make them on 1200/day all the time and eat them for breakfast, haha. Depends on the mix you buy, obviously, but still.

Mix the pumpkin one with spice cake or similar.

I am normally a pretty big baking snob with everything from scratch and best-quality and all that nonsense, but it goes out the window if I just want to eat something sweet and not share it with anyone. I'm also the queen of making myself one single cookie. Just one. In the toaster oven.

Are you throwing pureed black beans into a chocolate cake mix or a brownie mix? And what kind of quantity?

I don't actually have "macros" as such, I just try to hit 90 grams of protein a day. The rest is dictated more by IBS than anything else. Says the woman currently eating leftover Duncan Hines frosting out of the tub... with an ice cream bar stick.

Maybe I should save some for my healthy, protein-packed brownies?

Just reading this gave me goosebumps! I CANNOT stand touching any kind of unfinished wood....I sadly cannot enjoy any kind of Popsicle or ice cream on a stick :/

Ohh, sorry it affected you so strongly!

I can't stand the taste of them. I wish they didn't come at the end of the bar, that kind of spoils it. Probably why I mostly stick to drumstick-type cones. But this was a PC Blue Menu kefir bar... love kefir.

The other taste that bothers me is the metallic taste from metal water bottles. I prefer plastic, even if it leeches all kinds of evil chemicals into my water.

Glass water bottles for me. I LOVE glass ones.

I'd break them in a day. I can't have glass ANYTHING in my house, and I don't even have pets or children! ;)

i'm with you there! broke another water glass a day or so ago while trying to wash it in the sink.
    i used to get upset, now it's just like, well, another one bites the dust! :D
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    I had a dream last night that I started SL 5x5. I was at the Y and I was completely lost on what to do and what machine to use and NO ONE would help me, they all just continued doing their thing even though I looked like a lost child hiding the clothes rack.

This is my fear. I will get up the courage to start and will be totally lost and no one will help me, so I just take myself back to the cardio stuff because it's easy and I have yet to hurt myself on it.

I have anxiety over this. :(

You can ask me or quiksylver! (Or Lois - I think that's what she is doing too). Have you looked at the app yet?

Very briefly. I watched the video for workout A but haven't gotten around to watching workout B yet. I am planning on starting next week, so I will watch B sometime this weekend or something. My plan is to supplement my HIIT with the SL 5x5 so I will do it on Tuesday and Thursday and maybe Saturday. I don't know yet, because I haven't checked out the program yet.

Any help you ladies could offer, would be tremendously helpful and greatly appreciated.

• MoHousdon
    Options

I don't believe this is possible.

Oh, it is.

• kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    quoted instead of edited. *face palm*

We've all done that AT LEAST once(or five times...).

At least you didn't fall off the treadmill?

Sorry @pofoster21 I had to poke a little fun. Hopefully the fall was mostly injury free.

OH and Sgt. Sexy Pants was in a motorcycle accident on the way to work today! :scream:

He ran his bike into a guard rail. He's dirty but okay. :lol:
    The motorcycle however.....uhm... Well let's just say he can't afford to take me on ANY dates for a while. :lol:

And OF COURSE he wouldn't tell me about it until the night's shift is almost over :grumble:

I am glad St. Sexy Pants is okay. He is blessed.

Two of my brothers wrecked the same motorcycle last summer and though the bike was fine the first time, the brother who bounced 200 Ft down the guard rail was in my trauma center for 8 days with four ribs remaining intact and a punctured lung. That was Memorial Day. On Independence Day, my oldest brother borrowed the bike because his was in the shop. A deer jumped the guardrail and the bike the deer and my brother skidded 200 yards down the interstate. Dead deer. Bike in pieces. Brother in my trauma center on a vent with collapsed lung, three broken ribs but only a crack in his pelvis because he lifts and his muscles held everything in place. (that's really why I lift now, it saved his life) I told bother #3 that if he got on his motorcycle on Labor Day weekend, I would break his ribs myself.

Oh my...I don't even know what to say except that I'm glad your brothers are okay now and I would have told brother #3 the exact same thing.

@lilaclovebird So glad SSP is okay!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    I had a dream last night that I started SL 5x5. I was at the Y and I was completely lost on what to do and what machine to use and NO ONE would help me, they all just continued doing their thing even though I looked like a lost child hiding the clothes rack.

This is my fear. I will get up the courage to start and will be totally lost and no one will help me, so I just take myself back to the cardio stuff because it's easy and I have yet to hurt myself on it.

Your anxiety is understandable, but at least at my Y my fears proved unfounded. I was able to make an appointment with an employee to do an orientation. He showed me how to use everything and helped me with a program for the goals I had then. I've ditched it for mostly weight training now, but it was helpful a year ago. :)

Your Y sounds awesome, the one closest to my house, is not. The "trainers" that work there aren't all that interested in helping you unless you've signed up for one of their classes. I have a few friends that lift that I could probably sweet talk into helping me out the first couple times.

• kecmw25
    Options
    Yay! Hi @Susieq_1994!!!!!! :smiley:

Hello. :blush: It's been a while.

It's good to hear from you. You've been missed :)
  • kecmw25
    edited July 2015
    Options

You can ask me or quiksylver! (Or Lois - I think that's what she is doing too). Have you looked at the app yet?

Very briefly. I watched the video for workout A but haven't gotten around to watching workout B yet. I am planning on starting next week, so I will watch B sometime this weekend or something. My plan is to supplement my HIIT with the SL 5x5 so I will do it on Tuesday and Thursday and maybe Saturday. I don't know yet, because I haven't checked out the program yet.

Any help you ladies could offer, would be tremendously helpful and greatly appreciated.

Don't mind me listening in on your advice. I have every intention of starting Stronglifts at some point.

eta: spelling, oy
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    @Italian_Buju on the cookies, it probably would be a little easier to use Pilsbury but I've never bought store bought cookie dough in my life, honestly, and it only takes a minute to mix anyway. Plus I don't think it'd ever stay good in the fridge long enough to use an entire package as I only have a cookie once a month or so, probably.

On the long hair at the gym thing, it baffles me too. My hair is somewhere between bra-band and waist-length and I need it in a ponytail at least, with a headband to keep it totally off my face. And I am NOT cute when I work out anyway as my face turns so red it's almost purple when I run. Strangers ask if I'm okay. I'm fine and I don't even feel super winded or anything, but I look on the brink of collapse, lol.

@FluffySandwich, you should check out the conservation efforts for rhinos going on at game parks in both eastern and southern Africa, it is astounding and really gives me hope. There are wardens who are literally rhino bodyguards who even stay with them all night, every night, to keep them safe from poachers. It's really incredible and the men who do it are just the best examples of humanity doing things right for the Earth. White rhinos might not be saved, I know, but there are others and there are a lot of people out there doing everything they can for them.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    So I guess I indulged in cheesecake a day early.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    I think bad cell service is preventing quoting today. .. @xLoveLikeWinterx great job and great attitude!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

You can do this! I'm 4'11" and was started in a weight room in high school PE at age 15. I've lifted off an on since then. Right now I am just getting back into it after a year of not. For the most part I ignore other people but in all the gyms, in all the weight rooms, anytime I've spoken with people or asked a question everyone has been helpful. Sometimes I want to try something new so I'll ask whoever is handy. I'm working on getting daughter comfortable with it too.

I suggest: either (1) watch videos and write a list or (2) use a book or app to make a list of exercises. or (3) hire a trainer for one session for an intro course. This way you go into the weight room with a plan, an idea, and if you get stuck you can ask someone, so how do I do the butterfly press?

Every so often I hire a trainer for a tune up in ideas and form. I tend to be old school, 3 set of 10 repetitions each, when it gets a little comfortable bump up the weight. I try for the last repetition of the set to be the max I could go. As mentioned, this is old school and I am 100% positive that things have changed but it has worked for me so far. I had a lot of "personal training" when I dated a competitive body builder. He was a living sculpture and that is what he had me doing....but that was a long time ago. :smile:

I believe in you.

ETA, I use a mixture of free weights and machines. For upper body I use free weights. For lower body I use mostly machines. My knees won't tolerate lunges or squats so I use machines that are sort of similar to get the exercise without messing up my knees. You will figure out what works for you.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be fine, I'm just nervous to get started.

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    @Just_Ceci I was looking through the photos in the bat cave on the random picture thread and I cannot get over how cute your granddaughter is!! I just want to pinch her little cheeks!

Thanks! She is the spitting image of my daughter at that age!