Grain free and down ten pounds!

Options
1235»

Replies

• s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Im glad its working out for you but as others have touched on, any weight loss that occurs is almost always because of a calrie deficit. Thats great - dont get me wrong, but removing a food group completely isnt exactly appealing to most. How much meat, eggs and avocados can one eat? It gets boring, IMO, just like a diet that is based on NO meat or just grains.

I had a different experience with limited carbs/grains - my thyroid started acting up and it effected my Testosterone levels. I upped my carb intake back to around 200g - 225g a day and everything returned to normal.

Its all good - glad it works for some people but this "anti-grain, gluten-free, zero carb" movement is getting out of hand. It gives companies a way to overcharge for basic foods and most people that are gluten free have NO real reason for being that way. They just bought the hype. $7 bucks for a 16 oz gluten-free pancake mix? Gimme an effing break, LOL.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I am NOT grain free and I am down 111 lb. Your point is?

LOL. I lost a third of my body weight, and have maintained the loss for a year. *yet eats grains*
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a similar story. I have gastro problems, joint pain and chronic fatigue (so an autoimmune symptoms). Decided to experiment on my own and started with cutting out gluten, also while doing research on myself (my n=1 experiment) reading and researching online, both blogs and medical research. I felt like I was on the right path, but the clincher for me wasn't research, but was my own experience with it. Cutting out gluten wasn't easy, at first, then about 4 weeks into it, I realized how much better I was feeling physically and many of my gastro probs (I have them from top to bottom) were easing up or were gone completely. Now 5+ months into gluten/grain, artificial sweetners/additives and processed food free as possible, I can say my acne is now gone (I'm almost 50 so shouldn't even have it anymore) my digestive probs are pretty much gone, I feel so so so much better on a daily basis and I'm hoping it relieves my chronic fatigue/joint pain completely. I have also been consistently dropping lbs (yes because my CI is now less due to not being able to "sneak in" treats anymore) I get that.

The point is, yes for some people gluten, grains, just don't do a body good for a variety of reasons, but mostly the way their body processes it. I have been tested for celiac and it was negative, so I know I'm not celiac, but for some reason, my body does not process gluten/grains well at all, PERIOD. In fact, I believe (key word believe) I think it does this body harm. I have accidentally tested it (alfredo sauce) and regretted it immediately. OP wasn't advocating this for everyone or for anyone but was asking if anyone else had had her same results. Yes, OP, some of us have. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    (bites)

Well if you cut out one or more foods (anything) and don't replace that with anything, and the amount of calories you eat is enough to create an energy deficit, you will lose weight.

Losing weight is about eating fewer calories than you burn. You can eat any way you want and lose weight.

You can make it hard by not eating things you love and eating things you hate, and willingly expose yourself with temptations.

Or you can eat what you like, stock up on healthy foods, plan for treats, modify your surroundings.

Many people like to do things the hard way. Maybe they believe losing and maintaining weight is hard (no wonder, because that's what the diet industry tells us). Or maybe that extra, unnecessary, effort makes them feel good about themselves.

Feeling good about what you eat and how you live will make you feel better, and also improve your self-image (including perception of energy level, sleep, digestion, and skin). That is a good thing, but it doesn't necessarily mean that a certain way of eating is better for you than another.
  • snickers061703
    snickers061703 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't stand reading responses to posts like this. Seriously people, how hard it is to say "wow, great job, glad you're feeling better and have found something that works for you!" Sounds to me like there are far too many unhappy people stalking these boards looking for someone to slam because they gave up grains and sugar and felt better.

So, Great job! I'm happy for you! (I've done the same, and my breastfed baby's tummy is happier without the grains/sugar as well)
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't stand reading responses to posts like this. Seriously people, how hard it is to say "wow, great job, glad you're feeling better and have found something that works for you!" Sounds to me like there are far too many unhappy people stalking these boards looking for someone to slam because they gave up grains and sugar and felt better.

So, Great job! I'm happy for you! (I've done the same, and my breastfed baby's tummy is happier without the grains/sugar as well)

I can't stand people perpetuating nonsense. I don't have to stalk the boards looking for anything, these type of conversations pop up constantly. Threads like this make uninformed people go "If I cut out grains, I will lose weight without even trying!!!"

A calorie deficit causes weight loss.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I recently tried out some tigernut flour for fun and made some delicious butter cookies, twenty calories each. Tasters could not believe the calories were so low or that they were gluten free and paleo-friendly too. Of course the low calories came from the portion size. One teaspoon per cookie.

It got me to thinking; do the grain-free buffs eat tubers of any kinds/many kinds? What if the tubers are dried and ground in order to make, like, well, tigernut cookies?

OP, do you include many tubers in your diet?
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    dreena222 wrote: »
    I have decreased calories without weight loss in the past, that's my point. I have no scientific info for anyone. I just want to share my story in hope that it will help someone else.

Then you have not decreased calories. Period, your body is not immune to the most basic laws of physics. If it were the government would be dissecting you to figure out how you generate energy and matter from nothing.

Your story can not help anyone because you are spreading fiction, learn why you DID lose weight and spread THAT story. That's what will help people. Not spreading falsehoods in the hopes that they might accidentally stumble upon a deficit like you did.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    *rolls eyes at this whole thread*

Who cares? Why does anyone feel the need to police someone else's diet? Really, people, some of you just need to log off and get a life.

Nobody cares about her diet, we care about the lies she is spreading.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Oh these threads....

tumblr_mi86rvEcGB1rhzf4ho1_400.gif
  • minakshihall
    minakshihall Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ms_true wrote: »
    @minakshihall I've recommended this a few times now...It's very calorific so I substitute homemade unsweetened applesauce for olive oil, use half the honey, and cut it into 18 slices. I also add cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Keeps well in the fridge for several days or freeze. Yummy toasted with lots of butter:

Paleo Seed & Nut Bread

• minakshihall
    minakshihall Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this recipe. I'll be making this for sure.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    dreena222 wrote: »
    i have been gluten free for a year now and I have never felt better in my life but my weight hasn't moved. I recently started not eating any grains mostly as an "experiment"........it's been 3 weeks and I'm down 10 pounds! I realize it's mostly water weight, but I couldn't lose it before being grain free. My skin, my stomach, my attitude and my sleep are all improved! I am excited! Is there any one else with a similar story? I'm very interested to hear!!

Congrats! :)
    I too tend to lose weight MUCH better when I avoid grains, then I would add them back in small amounts and slowly regain my weight. I've finally learned my lesson and will continue to eat grain free.

When I eat grain free I find it easy to lose weight, normalize my blood sugars, and my health has improved with fewer arthritis pains - my skin cleared up too.

Keep at it! :)