Options

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    rny91415 wrote: »
    So you would rather risk death from major surgery (which is a very real possibility from anesthesia, the surgery itself, malnutrition after the fact) than try to adhere to a calorie deficit and see if that leads to more reasonable weight loss?

Gastric bypass is supposed to be a last resort, usually for those with multiple comorbidities who are at risk of death in the near future from their weight, not an alternative to putting in the hard work/lack of determination to stick with something long term.

If i was 250 or below i wouldnt be doing this.. my health is at risk and i want to live a long time and be able to have kids and see them grow up. As i said before i do need a therapist and everything like that but its a tool i will be glad i have

If you die during surgery, those aren't going to happen. You could easily lose 50 lbs in the next 5-6 months, just by eating less. So in 5-6 months you wouldn't consider the surgery? I am sorry if you think this is harsh, but surgery carries risk, and if 50 lbs is the line you create that determines if you get the surgery or not, I would seriously question if it was a good choice. There is also the chance that the surgery leaves you permanently scarred, or disabled. Honestly, it sounds like this is a decision you made hastily without thinking of all the consequences.

Not sure why someone flagged this... no abuse is present... @elphie754 is speaking the truth...
  • MyFairLaydee
    MyFairLaydee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have an uncle who was seriously obese and was up to have gastric bypass surgery, he just needed to lose a bit of weight first. He ended up losing so much weight that his doctor told him to just keep on going - which he did! He looks amazing and he never needed the surgery.

I have an old school friend who was up to 130kg (290lbs) and climbing, so she had a gastric bypass surgery. She lost lots of weight and looked amazing (not perfect but definitely healthy) and she finally received her reason for having this surgery - pregnancy and a beautiful baby boy.

The point of my post is that while gastric bypass surgery isn't for everybody, it does work for some people. I'm going to go ahead and wish the OP the best of luck because although I would never consider having this procedure, this might be her turnaround point and she might never look back.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So you would rather risk death from major surgery (which is a very real possibility from anesthesia, the surgery itself, malnutrition after the fact) than try to adhere to a calorie deficit and see if that leads to more reasonable weight loss?

Gastric bypass is supposed to be a last resort, usually for those with multiple comorbidities who are at risk of death in the near future from their weight, not an alternative to putting in the hard work/lack of determination to stick with something long term.

If i was 250 or below i wouldnt be doing this.. my health is at risk and i want to live a long time and be able to have kids and see them grow up. As i said before i do need a therapist and everything like that but its a tool i will be glad i have

If you die during surgery, those aren't going to happen. You could easily lose 50 lbs in the next 5-6 months, just by eating less. So in 5-6 months you wouldn't consider the surgery? I am sorry if you think this is harsh, but surgery carries risk, and if 50 lbs is the line you create that determines if you get the surgery or not, I would seriously question if it was a good choice. There is also the chance that the surgery leaves you permanently scarred, or disabled. Honestly, it sounds like this is a decision you made hastily without thinking of all the consequences.

Not sure why someone flagged this... no abuse is present... @elphie754 is speaking the truth...

Seems anything that disagrees with the OP is being flagged as abuse, which ironically is abuse of the flagging system.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

Don't you have to lose 20-30 pounds before they will do the surgery anyway? And then you'd be within spitting distance of 250.

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds in six months through self control. You can too without surgery. I can't understand why any surgeon would CUT OUT HEALTHY TISSUE.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    I've met several who have had this done and we're very successful. But some were not.
  • vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's the water issue that makes me say hecks no. Your reduced stomach will only hold about 2 tbs of food/liquid at a sitting. How exactly are you going to drink enough water when you exercise? My cousin had it done, and she has to carry a water bottle around all day and take sips. She does not exercise because she cannot really replace the sweat with water quick enough.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    OP Disagreeing does not equal hating.

Yeah, I think people were more concerned than anything...

OP, I just wanted to agree with the therapy suggestions. A nutritionist might be a good idea too, unless your doctor or hospital is referring you one already. I thought that was standard practice, but it probably varies by country. I have a couple family members who have gotten GB or a lap band, and it can be a good push for people who are discouraged or feel hopless/out of control in their eating. It's easy to go back to old habits, though, once the motivation runs out (and it will). No one hits a morbidly obese weight 'just because', though, so figuring out why your eating is disordered and learning how to combat the issue is just as important as eating healthy and moderately.

Getting a firm grasp on your diet and exercise regimine before you're recovering from surgery and don't feel great is a good idea too. Get into your new routine now, and you'll thank yourself in a month Friday.

I think if you're viewing this as a tool to help[\I] you loose weight, and not a solution then you'll be fine. I think a lot of the 'negative' comments here are from people who have seen how useless and pointless these surgeries can be if people expect having their stomach shrunk down can solve all their problems.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    vlovell24 wrote: »
    It's the water issue that makes me say hecks no. Your reduced stomach will only hold about 2 tbs of food/liquid at a sitting. How exactly are you going to drink enough water when you exercise? My cousin had it done, and she has to carry a water bottle around all day and take sips. She does not exercise because she cannot really replace the sweat with water quick enough.

Not sure where you got this information from - 2 tbs? I do an hour on the elliptical and finish a 23 oz bottle of water while doing so. I can eat much more than 2 tbs at a time. At first you can't eat/drink quite that much, but as you heal that changes. Your information is incorrect. Sounds like your cousin might be one of those people who gets surgery but doesn't want to do the work that needs to be done to go with it to ensure more success.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of interesting information on here. I had a gastric sleeve, not bypass on June 1st. I'm down 36 lbs since June 2nd. I eat about 1,000 calories a day of lean protein and veggies with occasional fruit. I can drink water with no problems. You can't drink 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after a meal. But otherwise it's fine. I totally changed my eating habits. For the year before I had the surgery I struggled a lot with eating properly. I found my tastes totally changed since surgery. I can't stand sweet stuff any longer - ice cream actually makes me barf on one bite. I can look at a dessert bar and not be interested. I've tried a couple of potato chips and they are icky too. I used to eat the whole bag. I've had more veggies in the past 6 weeks than I've had in the past 6 years. It's a tool. If I try to eat too much I get really sick. I know where my limit is and I know what happens if I push that limit.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    hockey7fan wrote: »
    I had a gastric sleeve, not bypass on June 1st. ...I totally changed my eating habits. For the year before I had the surgery I struggled a lot with eating properly. I found my tastes totally changed since surgery. I can't stand sweet stuff any longer - ice cream actually makes me barf on one bite. I can look at a dessert bar and not be interested. I've tried a couple of potato chips and they are icky too. I used to eat the whole bag. I've had more veggies in the past 6 weeks than I've had in the past 6 years. It's a tool. If I try to eat too much I get really sick. I know where my limit is and I know what happens if I push that limit.

This is what most of the critics are concerned with, stories like this that for one are too early to determine long term results and make GB seem like a magic pill. Hockeyfan, I hope for you the best of luck, but if you have not addressed the underlying issues of how you gained the weight in the first place in time all these changes from the surgery can be reversed and the weight will come back.

He's my counter argument. I started using MFP late March with a BMI 36+ and high cholesterol which made me a morbidity obese and probably a candidate for GB. I set a goal of 1.5 lbs per week, cycle 3-4 times a week, and track my food. Somedays I hit my goals, other days I don't. I judge myself based on a running 7 day total. I eat dessert, pizza, chips, alcohol and what ever else I want but log it and hold myself accountable for my choices. As of this morning, my BMI is a hair over 30 and next week I should finally be able to say I'm not longer obese. Oh, and my cholesterol is already in check.

Now who doesn't want that magic pill?

Still, I hope for the best in what ever the OP chooses and what others already have.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    One of my colleagues has had this done, and she has lost quite a bit of weight, but she can only eat very little, and I mean VERY LITTLE. I would hate to have that sort of restriction, and she has found that she can't eat a lot of the foods she used to love because it is just too much for her. She also can't really hold her alcohol anymore which is a problem for her when we go out as she loves a couple of drinks, but there have been times where give it an hour or two she has had to go home ill because she can't handle it. But, obviously, if being slim is worth that to you (she is still overweight, I might add, and she had it a couple of years ago) then it is your choice. But for me, personally, I would find it a very restrictive way to live my life.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »

Not sure where you got this information from - 2 tbs? I do an hour on the elliptical and finish a 23 oz bottle of water while doing so. I can eat much more than 2 tbs at a time. At first you can't eat/drink quite that much, but as you heal that changes. Your information is incorrect. Sounds like your cousin might be one of those people who gets surgery but doesn't want to do the work that needs to be done to go with it to ensure more success.
    You're two years post op? Did you have more restrictions when you just finished surgery? My mom had GB, and she was told about a shot glass worth of food/liquid at a time, although frequently just because her stomach was so small. I think it depends on the type of surgery as well.

OP, my mom had GB several years ago, and she lost a lot of weight. She has definitely regained weight though, and while she is smaller, she also lost a TON of muscle mass due to rapid weight loss and not doing weight bearing exercises. My mom is a good example of people who take the "easy solution" approach to the surgery. She had nutrient deficiencies because she didn't drastically change the diet; she ate small portions of the things she liked, but she severely lacked vitamins in her diet, and her hair started falling out. She knew she should get to the gym, and she'd go for a month or two, and then stop. And no matter how many times I've told her it's important to do weight bearing exercises, when she does go to the gym, she insists on doing water aerobics.

One thing I see, you said your pre-op diet starts soon. Start now. Maybe not as drastic as pre-op will be, but use MFP to calculate a 2lb per week loss and stick within your calorie goal. Focus on nutrient dense food (you're going to need to learn to get the vitamins in with a very low volume of food, although you will likely be taking supplements as well). Get out moving, even if it's only going for a walk. Start building the habits now; you'll need them surgery or not.

And I understand the frustration you feel reading these comments. I also found that I yoyo'd and "could never lose". Once I started logging (accurately and weighing my food!!!), I saw the weight come off. I had to commit to it; it couldn't be short term. My mom repeatedly suggested that I have the surgery, and I would have qualified. But after seeing her health deteriorate, I'm so happy I never did. She still will have problems with eating too much and will often go to the bathroom to puke mid-meal. She gets diarrhea easily and frequently. She has arthritis, and the one medication that works well, she can't take because it's hard on the stomach. And my fiance's father had the surgery as well, and he doesn't eat many vegetables or meat because he has problems digesting them; he eats a lot of ice cream...
  • amanda_the_mom
    amanda_the_mom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been obsessed with learning about the new life style for months now... and if i even started without this i would always be in the same boat... so i have a little help with this tool i am reviving. So what? Even if i dont have it done i will work just as hard as when i do have it done thats all

Well if you can do it if you don't have it done, then why haven't you? If you don't address those issues then you will regain again. You have to do the same thing whether you get the surgery or not, which is just eating less and moving more. But in one case you didn't have major surgery. Personally, I'd skip the surgery and work on why you are having trouble sticking to a calorie deficit.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

You're two years post op? Did you have more restrictions when you just finished surgery? My mom had GB, and she was told about a shot glass worth of food/liquid at a time, although frequently just because her stomach was so small. I think it depends on the type of surgery as well.

OP, my mom had GB several years ago, and she lost a lot of weight. She has definitely regained weight though, and while she is smaller, she also lost a TON of muscle mass due to rapid weight loss and not doing weight bearing exercises. My mom is a good example of people who take the "easy solution" approach to the surgery. She had nutrient deficiencies because she didn't drastically change the diet; she ate small portions of the things she liked, but she severely lacked vitamins in her diet, and her hair started falling out. She knew she should get to the gym, and she'd go for a month or two, and then stop. And no matter how many times I've told her it's important to do weight bearing exercises, when she does go to the gym, she insists on doing water aerobics.

One thing I see, you said your pre-op diet starts soon. Start now. Maybe not as drastic as pre-op will be, but use MFP to calculate a 2lb per week loss and stick within your calorie goal. Focus on nutrient dense food (you're going to need to learn to get the vitamins in with a very low volume of food, although you will likely be taking supplements as well). Get out moving, even if it's only going for a walk. Start building the habits now; you'll need them surgery or not.

And I understand the frustration you feel reading these comments. I also found that I yoyo'd and "could never lose". Once I started logging (accurately and weighing my food!!!), I saw the weight come off. I had to commit to it; it couldn't be short term. My mom repeatedly suggested that I have the surgery, and I would have qualified. But after seeing her health deteriorate, I'm so happy I never did. She still will have problems with eating too much and will often go to the bathroom to puke mid-meal. She gets diarrhea easily and frequently. She has arthritis, and the one medication that works well, she can't take because it's hard on the stomach. And my fiance's father had the surgery as well, and he doesn't eat many vegetables or meat because he has problems digesting them; he eats a lot of ice cream...

Yes, I am two years post-op. In the beginning, of course there was more restriction. The poster I responded to made it seem like those restrictions are permanent, which they aren't at all, and I felt it was really misleading. I eat healthy, work out, log my food, and do what I have to do. I think that's the key right there, doing what your surgeon and his team tell you to do. So many people, like your mom and your fiancé's father, don't follow the program. Surgery and the lifestyle changes to support it are a huge commitment. Honestly, I don't think it's right for everyone, because not everyone "gets" how big the commitment is. It is not a quick fix, it's a tool. I am grateful that I was able to use this tool properly along with other changes I have made. I am healthy now and that was my goal.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Yes, I am two years post-op. In the beginning, of course there was more restriction. The poster I responded to made it seem like those restrictions are permanent, which they aren't at all, and I felt it was really misleading. I eat healthy, work out, log my food, and do what I have to do. I think that's the key right there, doing what your surgeon and his team tell you to do. So many people, like your mom and your fiancé's father, don't follow the program. Surgery and the lifestyle changes to support it are a huge commitment. Honestly, I don't think it's right for everyone, because not everyone "gets" how big the commitment is. It is not a quick fix, it's a tool. I am grateful that I was able to use this tool properly along with other changes I have made. I am healthy now and that was my goal.

Yup. People need to realize that they need a lifestyle overhaul whether they have surgery or not. There is no easy way out even with surgery. It takes work and commitment. My mom still doesn't understand that. She had a "revision" to her surgery partly because she had a fistula, but she also kept saying how great it was that she'd lose again. And she did a little bit, and then put on even more weight. Because again, she didn't adjust her lifestyle.

A lot of people take the stance of "if you have to change diet and exercise anyways, why get the surgery". And I completely get that it's a personal choice, but everyone needs to realize that the diet and exercise MUST change for weight loss to be effective for long term (again, regardless of the surgery).
  • kak22283
    kak22283 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some of the replies on here. Yes, OP can prob loose the weight without surgery, however, when you are only suppose to loose 1-2 lbs a week and have several of not a good 100+ lbs to loose, it can take YEARS! Or get medical assistance and have this done. I had it done 5 years ago and lost 115 lbs, gained a few back, got back on track through MFP and working out. It will have to be a lifestyle change, but the surgery will help with the bulk of the weight. Yes I recommend talking to a therapist and following up with the dr's but weather she should get the surgery or not is not anyone's choice but the OP's.... And some stranger on the Internet is not going to sway that. So stop being so mean.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kak22283 wrote: »
    I can't believe some of the replies on here. Yes, OP can prob loose the weight without surgery, however, when you are only suppose to loose 1-2 lbs a week and have several of not a good 100+ lbs to loose, it can take YEARS! Or get medical assistance and have this done. I had it done 5 years ago and lost 115 lbs, gained a few back, got back on track through MFP and working out. It will have to be a lifestyle change, but the surgery will help with the bulk of the weight. Yes I recommend talking to a therapist and following up with the dr's but weather she should get the surgery or not is not anyone's choice but the OP's.... And some stranger on the Internet is not going to sway that. So stop being so mean.

We don't usually get the 'everyone is so mean' posts until Friday, you're early. Or late :p

Of course we, and OP know, it is her choice, and no strangers on the internet is going to change it. But she asked for advice, and some people's advice was 'don't do it'. No meanness about it, just honesty.
  • kak22283
    kak22283 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh well, sorry I'm late, or early, I guess that's what happens when I have other stuff to do than sit on the Internet. BYE....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kak22283 wrote: »

If you are severely obese, you are not limited to losing 1-2 pounds per week. Calorie deficit creates the weight loss -- surgery is a way of helping create that deficit. Losing multiple pounds a week via a larger (non-surgically induced) deficit isn't less healthy than surgery, providing one is seeing a doctor during the process.