"Toning" is a deception

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    "Lean muscle" and make the muscles "longer" are a couple more that hurt the ears.

I think longer muscles actually mean something. Weight lifters tend not to have longer muscles that's why they get all that muscle bunching up in an ugly way above their shoulders. I learnt about this in yoga. When you do a headstand there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If you do it the wrong way you would get those bunched up muscles but if you do it the right way you won't. Its been a while since i've done a headstand but i think the right way is to push into your elbows rather than clamping up around your neck to help you keep balanced.

Uh.... do you mean the trapezius muscle which everyone has?

trapezius_Grays.png

They just tend to be more developed in individuals that actually lift weights...

Please don't talk about things that you don't understand.
    hfccu.jpg

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No don't sticky it. I use the words toning, building, strengthen, muscular... all of them and they all mean the same thing to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who understand the ideas behind words.

If someone wants to use the word 'tone' to get fitter and healthier then there is nothing wrong with that.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/home-toning-workout.aspx
    Not disparaging on whether or not people use the word "tone" to encourage themselves to exercise. Just disparaging on the actual meaning. Whether people use it or not, I don't believe it's incorrect to inform others that the word is a deception in fitness.

If I wrote an article and labeled one "muscle conditioning" and the other "toning workout", I would bet dollars to donuts that the "toning" one would be viewed much more by many more females than the "muscle conditioning" one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Mmm you could well be right about the female one and the two articles.

My comments were a general poke of my dislike about what is considered linguistically correct or incorrect. I'm a great believer in not telling people what's wrong and what's correct about language and terminology. Different words mean different things to different people and that's what niggles me.

Language is also fluid as you know and there maybe a new word next week....by the average joe's, the scientists or professionals.

not big into the sciences are you???

Not big into guessing right are you? Don't assume.

I don't need to assume- you already laid it out for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So it's a matter of semantics

nope, because there is no such thing as toning…

maybe you should re-read the OP….

dictionary disagrees with you

give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a part of it).

semantics
    Quoting the dictionary to discuss words using in a technical fashion is not a good idea. The dictionary will also call you a computer if you can do 2+2=4 (defn: one who computes), but it would be a worthless definition for discussing if you can have Windows 8 installed into your brain.

wait, so I am not a computer?????????????????????
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So it's a matter of semantics

nope, because there is no such thing as toning…

maybe you should re-read the OP….

dictionary disagrees with you

give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a part of it).

semantics
    Quoting the dictionary to discuss words using in a technical fashion is not a good idea. The dictionary will also call you a computer if you can do 2+2=4 (defn: one who computes), but it would be a worthless definition for discussing if you can have Windows 8 installed into your brain.

it would be useless if it did not apply, but it does.
    and yes, I can be a compute-er should I be one who computes, or a reader-one who reads, or a photographer-one who does photography.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    No don't sticky it. I use the words toning, building, strengthen, muscular... all of them and they all mean the same thing to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who understand the ideas behind words.

If someone wants to use the word 'tone' to get fitter and healthier then there is nothing wrong with that.

Not disparaging on whether or not people use the word "tone" to encourage themselves to exercise. Just disparaging on the actual meaning. Whether people use it or not, I don't believe it's incorrect to inform others that the word is a deception in fitness.

If I wrote an article and labeled one "muscle conditioning" and the other "toning workout", I would bet dollars to donuts that the "toning" one would be viewed much more by many more females than the "muscle conditioning" one.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My comments were a general poke of my dislike about what is considered linguistically correct or incorrect. I'm a great believer in not telling people what's wrong and what's correct about language and terminology. Different words mean different things to different people and that's what niggles me.

Language is also fluid as you know and there maybe a new word next week....by the average joe's, the scientists or professionals.

I went to a 3 day science festival this year to fill my nerdy boots - that big enough interest for you?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I went to a 3 day science festival this year to fill my nerdy boots - that big enough interest for you?

yeah- that totally solved the issue I had with what you said- proving how nerdy you are. Yep. Box checked.

<sighsarcasmbecauseyoucompletelymissedthepointwhybother>
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

yeah- that totally solved the issue I had with what you said- proving how nerdy you are. Yep. Box checked.

Laid out what? - that I'm not big into science? You need to clarify rather than just giving me the attitude.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I really don't get the big deal around using the word. When I hear someone use the word, I generally know what they want to achieve. Do I care more about their word choice than I do their end goal?

No.

Do I care if someone calls something purple vs aubergine vs violet? no.

I get where you're going and why you are doing it, but I think we do people (both ourselves and others) a disservice to get all stuck on word selection when we have a good idea as to what the person speaking meant.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I really don't get the big deal around using the word. When I hear someone use the word, I generally know what they want to achieve. Do I care more about their word choice than I do their end goal?

No.

I get where you're going and why you are doing it, but I think we do people (both ourselves and others) a disservice to get all stuck on word selection when we have a good idea as to what the person speaking meant.

Well said.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Correct use of terminology may appear to be semantics to those outside of a discipline, but critical to the advancement within a specific discipline. Incorrect use leads to misunderstanding, misinformation, disinformation, fire and brimstone, and general bad things.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    And toning to the outside discipline means low weight high reps which will accomplish=more cardio.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I just googled "toning stick" and now I'm sad.

Great OP though. I can see it bothering you more because you work in the fitness industry.

I do think it's a problem when someone posts a thread asking to get toned, and several people will suggest eating at a deficit and lifting weight (perfectly reasonable response considering what they want). And then the poster will whine "no, I said TONED not all muscly and ugly (or whatever derogatory bulky whine is applicable)". I think that's where there is a huge disconnect due to how the word tone has been used.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't know... I look at the people coming in and using the word "toned", especially those who are whining about being corrected, as if they're children. They will need to learn a lot and grow a lot, and I teach where I can. I'm still learning too!

A person may start out as wanting to be toned... but if they're serious about becoming better... they will seek to understand, and will shift and grow. Their vocabulary will mature, their goals will mature.

Unless, of course, I slap them in the face and tell them they're idiots... in which case they may persevere in spite of my response, or they may just throw a tantrum and give up.

When I started out... I am pretty sure I tossed the "toned" word around.

Now I toss around words like:
    heavy lifting
    ripped
    muscular
    recomposition
    bulk / cut
    CICO (<-not a word)
    bulkeh (in the great sense)
    maintenance

It certainly has been a fun, humbling, and interesting learning experience, and I am thankful for the people here who have helped me make my way.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

:laugh:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I just googled "toning stick" and now I'm sad.

Great OP though. I can see it bothering you more because you work in the fitness industry.

I do think it's a problem when someone posts a thread asking to get toned, and several people will suggest eating at a deficit and lifting weight (perfectly reasonable response considering what they want). And then the poster will whine "no, I said TONED not all muscly and ugly (or whatever derogatory bulky whine is applicable)". I think that's where there is a huge disconnect due to how the word tone has been used.

Or sometimes you just get a plain I want to tone post and then several posters advise with the usual one liner. "There is no such thing as toning". Then the whole post has the word tone in inverted commas. This post is clearer and should be on the must read list
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily the word itself that is a problem. Yes language evolves. The problem is that people (typically women) think they need to do something special to get the "toned" look. They have been brainwashed to thinking that in order to become "toned" you need to do lots of reps with low weight.

It's sad really. It boggles my mind that some women think that lifting a 25 pound dumbbell will make them look like a man, but don't think twice about holding a child in one arm and a bag of groceries in the other.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Somewhere after 1993 it must have been added to the dictionary because my Merriam Webster from 1993 doesn't have that listed.
    What they do have is tonus - Greek for tension, act of stretching.
    Cambridge
    tone noun (TIGHTNESS)

› the healthy tightness of the body, especially the muscles:

Merriam Webster

Definition of TONUS

: tone 9a; especially : a state of partial contraction characteristic of normal muscle
    From Cambridge Dictionary:

tonenoun us /toʊn/
    tone noun (VOICE EXPRESSION)
    › a quality in the voice, esp. one that expresses the speaker’s feelings, often toward the person being addressed: His tone was apologetic.
    tone noun (MOOD)
    › the mood or general feeling of something: The tone of his remarks was confident and reassuring.› literature The tone of a piece of writing expresses the writer's attitude toward the subject or the reader: The angry tone of this essay reveals her feelings about the war.
    tone noun (SOUND)
    › [usually sing] a musical, mechanical, or voice sound on one note: If you wish to leave a message, please wait until after the tone.
    tone noun (MUSICAL QUALITY)
    › music the quality of sound of a musical instrument or singing voice› music A tone is also a step .
    tone noun (FIRM QUALITY)
    › (esp. of muscles) the quality of being healthy and firm: Swimming helps to develop good muscle tone.
    tone noun (COLOR)
    › art [C] a feature of color related to its brightness or the amount of light it reflects

Notice it doesn't say "Swimming helps to develop good "tone" or "toning".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

so you can post definitions too. I also pulled mine from the dictionary. point is that tone and thereby toning is in the dictionary

conotatively, getting toned just means looking fitter and having a little muscle definition. jumping on people for using the word, telling them it isn't a thing, is counterproductive. and frankly, rather mean and unnecessary.

you also only posted the nouns, to tone is a verb
    No point is "tone" is used in fitness as an adjective. Descriptive in workouts or a look. No such thing as "toning" exercises, or looking "tone". And how is it counter productive? You believe it's okay to use a word that was basically mocking females intelligence because the fitness industry felt it would be a much easier way to sell an idea? If you're okay with that, then I'll oppose your position.
    And really there is no definition on "tone". Some think that Gwyneth Paltrow is tone. Or even Keira Knightly.
    Is it a big deal? I'm betting probably not to most. But I still believe it's important to not to have to use deception. There's nothing wrong with people learning the actual truth behind it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    From my experience if an author/"fitness expert" uses any form of "tone" to describe exercise or the result of exercise, the information from that author is pretty much worthless.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

No.

Again, well said.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

No.

We may know what they are trying to convey, but when you give the answer to help them achieve what they are vying for, the response may be opposing because the person lacks understanding of what it really means.
    Daily I speak to new/regular members. Lot of females who just do cardio and aren't getting the results they want, want info on how to "tone". First thing I'll ask them is if they eating in deficit. Second if they've ever tried lifting heavy weights. You can guess what the response is.................."Oh no, I'm not trying to get all bulky looking." I'll let them know that it will "tone" them up more and there's still apprehension, yet all the lean looking clients I have lift heavy weights. Don't get me wrong, I'll also do high rep endurance/conditioning training with many of them too, but basically lifting moderately heavy weights in general to people who just came for Zumba and cardio, doesn't come across to them as "toning".
    Will we ever get rid of the terminology? Probably not. People still think to this day one can spot reduce with exercise, and we'll correct them on that. I think it's okay to tell them this too.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png