"Toning" is a deception

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I really don't get the big deal around using the word. When I hear someone use the word, I generally know what they want to achieve. Do I care more about their word choice than I do their end goal?

No.

Do I care if someone calls something purple vs aubergine vs violet? no.

I get where you're going and why you are doing it, but I think we do people (both ourselves and others) a disservice to get all stuck on word selection when we have a good idea as to what the person speaking meant.
    We may know what they are trying to convey, but when you give the answer to help them achieve what they are vying for, the response may be opposing because the person lacks understanding of what it really means.
    Daily I speak to new/regular members. Lot of females who just do cardio and aren't getting the results they want, want info on how to "tone". First thing I'll ask them is if they eating in deficit. Second if they've ever tried lifting heavy weights. You can guess what the response is.................."Oh no, I'm not trying to get all bulky looking." I'll let them know that it will "tone" them up more and there's still apprehension, yet all the lean looking clients I have lift heavy weights. Don't get me wrong, I'll also do high rep endurance/conditioning training with many of them too, but basically lifting moderately heavy weights in general to people who just came for Zumba and cardio, doesn't come across to them as "toning".
    Will we ever get rid of the terminology? Probably not. People still think to this day one can spot reduce with exercise, and we'll correct them on that. I think it's okay to tell them this too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I just met a woman who said she wants to tone. I ask her what she means. She said lose arm fat and get stronger. No one really knows what someone is talking about when they say they want to tone.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Don't most questions need more info though for gym workers etc? I don't know it's not my job. If someone says they want to become more muscular you would need to ask more? For more precise stuff? Or they want to get 'ripped'?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    Don't most questions need more info though for gym workers etc? I don't know it's not my job. If someone says they want to become more muscular you would need to ask more? For more precise stuff? Or they want to get 'ripped'?
    If someone is telling me they want to get ripped or muscular while standing in front of me I can tell them how because of what there starting point is.

I cannot do the same for someone saying I want to tone.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So the truth is, one isn't really looking for "toning". A lean look with subtle definition is usually the goal.

Not to contradict anything that was said, but I've always thought of "a lean look with subtle definition" as the definition of "toning." I've never really understood the objection to using the word. Its a word. It means improving muscle tone. That's an actual goal for some people. Maybe people have more ideas of what it means that I don't understand.

ETA:
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I just met a woman who said she wants to tone. I ask her what she means. She said lose arm fat and get stronger. No one really knows what someone is talking about when they say they want to tone.

Ah. I see. And yet, somehow it does come back to the definition of leaner look with subtle (or at least improved) muscle strength, definition and/or tone. I just think that if we take into account the fact that many people who use this term are at a level where strength, mass and tone are all going to improve with a little work, we can and should be forgiving of the word's use. Beyond that, if gentle correction makes you feel better and passes on knowledge, then hey, why not. It's a bit like correcting the use of "their," "they're," and "there." You most likely understood them, but its still annoying.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Patttience wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    "Lean muscle" and make the muscles "longer" are a couple more that hurt the ears.

I think longer muscles actually mean something. Weight lifters tend not to have longer muscles that's why they get all that muscle bunching up in an ugly way above their shoulders. I learnt about this in yoga. When you do a headstand there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If you do it the wrong way you would get those bunched up muscles but if you do it the right way you won't. Its been a while since i've done a headstand but i think the right way is to push into your elbows rather than clamping up around your neck to help you keep balanced.

Wow. Haven't seen someone claim yoga overrides genetics in awhile :huh:

That happened before?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    "Lean muscle" and make the muscles "longer" are a couple more that hurt the ears.

I think longer muscles actually mean something. Weight lifters tend not to have longer muscles that's why they get all that muscle bunching up in an ugly way above their shoulders. I learnt about this in yoga. When you do a headstand there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If you do it the wrong way you would get those bunched up muscles but if you do it the right way you won't. Its been a while since i've done a headstand but i think the right way is to push into your elbows rather than clamping up around your neck to help you keep balanced.

That happened before?

Oh yeah. About a year and a half or two ago it showed up a lot. I remember quite a few posts made by various people who claimed yoga lengthened muscles.

Although this is the first I've heard of someone claiming that those who have worked on building up their traps are just causing their muscles to bunch up around their shoulders :laugh:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I really don't get the big deal around using the word. When I hear someone use the word, I generally know what they want to achieve. Do I care more about their word choice than I do their end goal?

No.

I get where you're going and why you are doing it, but I think we do people (both ourselves and others) a disservice to get all stuck on word selection when we have a good idea as to what the person speaking meant.
    We may know what they are trying to convey, but when you give the answer to help them achieve what they are vying for, the response may be opposing because the person lacks understanding of what it really means.
    Daily I speak to new/regular members. Lot of females who just do cardio and aren't getting the results they want, want info on how to "tone". First thing I'll ask them is if they eating in deficit. Second if they've ever tried lifting heavy weights. You can guess what the response is.................."Oh no, I'm not trying to get all bulky looking." I'll let them know that it will "tone" them up more and there's still apprehension, yet all the lean looking clients I have lift heavy weights. Don't get me wrong, I'll also do high rep endurance/conditioning training with many of them too, but basically lifting moderately heavy weights in general to people who just came for Zumba and cardio, doesn't come across to them as "toning".
    Will we ever get rid of the terminology? Probably not. People still think to this day one can spot reduce with exercise, and we'll correct them on that. I think it's okay to tell them this too.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Proper communication is ensuring that message sent = message received and visa versa. With the prevalence of multiple cultures with multiple base languages, it is vital that we seek to understand each other REGARDLESS of the words we choose to convey ourselves with? As a service provider, you can't assume your client (or prospect) is adequately stating their requirements, you always have to dig.

Getting upset that someone says "toning" instead of "increase muscle tone" is hugely counterproductive and just shuts all communication down. (Note: not saying that you, ninerbuff or yopeeps, are getting upset- but there are some here that do get pretty riled up)

Also... You don't HAVE to lift heavy to "get toned". I became very lean and quite muscular using a combination of eating at a deficit along with body weight exercises, boxing, and running. (To the point where people assumed that I was a heavy lifter). It's only recently that I started lifting heavy because I want MORE muscle. Did it take time? yes, did it work? indeed it did.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    on an aside... I equate the use of "toned" to the use of "moist". Moist is a real word, but many will try to kill you if you use it. LOL
  • yopeeps025
    Options

No.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Proper communication is ensuring that message sent = message received and visa versa. With the prevalence of multiple cultures with multiple base languages, it is vital that we seek to understand each other REGARDLESS of the words we choose to convey ourselves with? As a service provider, you can't assume your client (or prospect) is adequately stating their requirements, you always have to dig.

Getting upset that someone says "toning" instead of "increase muscle tone" is hugely counterproductive and just shuts all communication down. (Note: not saying that you, ninerbuff or yopeeps, are getting upset- but there are some here that do get pretty riled up)

Also... You don't HAVE to lift heavy to "get toned". I became very lean and quite muscular using a combination of eating at a deficit along with body weight exercises, boxing, and running. (To the point where people assumed that I was a heavy lifter). It's only recently that I started lifting heavy because I want MORE muscle. Did it take time? yes, did it work? indeed it did.

People thought I was strong when I was weak with a lot of fat and no muscle definition. People in general are just ignorant in the fitness and health world.

• MireyGal76
    Options

No.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

People thought I was strong when I was weak with a lot of fat and no muscle definition. People in general are just ignorant in the fitness and health world.

by "people", I include well known heavy lifters on MFP. :smile:

But yes. I agree with what I bolded above :laugh:
  • lyndseyhirst
    lyndseyhirst Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add me guys
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Add me guys

Wow. That's random.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    I have no doubt that the industry turned it into marketing drivel, but "toning" as a description or a goal does exist. Toning comes from the word for "tension", you want to firm your body up without increasing size aka build muscle+lose fat.
    Nope because the description doesn't exist. "Toning" originated from "muscle tone" which actually is a legit definition in the dictionary.
    Think about it: If I was deemed muscular, I wouldn't be "muscling" to get it. Or if I was deemed fast, I wouldn't be "fastering" to achieve it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're just playing with words. Yes, marketing and what have you. If "selfie" found its way into the dictionary leave "toning" alone, it helps most people in the gym.... Also, hundreds of words in the English language were made up by Shakespeare because he couldn't think of a word to fit in with his word count/rhyme (whatever). And we ise them without even knowing. Bad is the new good. "LOL" exists now and everyone knows what I mean by it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    I have no doubt that the industry turned it into marketing drivel, but "toning" as a description or a goal does exist. Toning comes from the word for "tension", you want to firm your body up without increasing size aka build muscle+lose fat.
    Nope because the description doesn't exist. "Toning" originated from "muscle tone" which actually is a legit definition in the dictionary.
    Think about it: If I was deemed muscular, I wouldn't be "muscling" to get it. Or if I was deemed fast, I wouldn't be "fastering" to achieve it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're just playing with words. Yes, marketing and what have you. If "selfie" found its way into the dictionary leave "toning" alone, it helps most people in the gym.... Also, hundreds of words in the English language were made up by Shakespeare because he couldn't think of a word to fit in with his word count/rhyme (whatever). And we ise them without even knowing. Bad is the new good. "LOL" exists now and everyone knows what I mean by it.
    Your viewpoint. You don't do what I do and have lots of females saying they don't want to lift weights or do resistant training because they are afraid to gain muscle, but that pretty much what you do when you "tone". I know the history of how the word came about, so if you can accept the fitness industry's stance at the time of being dishonest with females and trying to explain it was a waste of time, more power to you.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

That happened before?

Oh yeah. About a year and a half or two ago it showed up a lot. I remember quite a few posts made by various people who claimed yoga lengthened muscles.
    What's worse is when I have conversations with yoga instructors and refute the "lengthening" muscles claim with actual science and backed by journals of medicine and the reply is "well Western medicine doesn't appy here". What?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• PikaKnight
    Options

That happened before?

What's worse is when I have conversations with yoga instructors and refute the "lengthening" muscles claim with actual science and backed by journals of medicine and the reply is "well Western medicine doesn't appy here". What?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Genetics is so old school..... >.>
  • ninerbuff
    Options

That happened before?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Genetics is so old school..... >.>
    Lol, eventually gene doping will be a sellable commodity. Buy or remove the genes.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Had another conversation with this with a new trainer in our gym.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Oh lord the number of conversations I have with my friends about not wanting to look bulky and wanting to look toned. If only it was as simple as picking up a barbell and magically seeing muscle.

Toned is just a confusing works to me in the context of fitness. As is the word bulky. It’s all so subjective.

Depending on who I talk to I look “too skinny” or my arms look “toned. “ ( which I think means muscular, but I’m not sure). Or I need to be careful else I’ll “bulk up. “

I just nodded at the last comment and re racked the weights...
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Great contribution.

Only beef is your handle.

(Go Hawks!)

:smile: