Does high calorie food you used to eat disgust you?

Replies

• velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    I don't think there is anything that I used to love that I now find disgusting but I do find some things not really worth the calories.

I have been losing weight for 13 months and I hope to reach my goal weight by the end of the year. I might reintroduce some higher calorie foods when I finally get to maintenance.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    It doesn't disgust me, but it gives me the trots. If it's my splurge day, I'm eating it anyway. Worth it.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    This thread makes me want to drink coca cola and cheetos/salt and vinegar chips. Haven't had either in months... Must be the thread or PMS :/ I just can't stop at one so I have none :(

Brownies, cookies, cupcakes and Ritz crackers are still good in my book! I don't find foods disgusting or anything...
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    nothing disgust me, but is more the fact that now I find things are too sweet or too salty.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I don't find those foods disgust me from a mental perspective (like "ugh, I can't believe I used to eat that"), but I definitely find a lot of things I used to like taste pretty bad to me now. Like several other people have mentioned, overly sweet or salty foods are pretty unpalatable after some time away from them.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    The food itself doesn't but the volume I ate does disgust me.
    And some of my tastes have changed - cookies I used to love now taste too processed.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    No, doesn't disgust me. I still eat everything I used to eat, just less of it.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I can't really think of any foods that ousted to eat that now disgust me other than fast food. When I was a kid, I used to salivate over Mcdonalds, KFC, Dominos, the local chinese buffet, ice cream stands, that kind of stuff. Now I have no desire to even touch any of them. Mcdonalds gives me horrible migraines whenever I eat it, and I can't have regular ice cream due to lactose intolerance, even though I would like to on occasion.

Mostly, it's just the portions that I used to eat that disgust me. For instance, I used to eat SO MUCH chicken. 10 chicken nuggets for dinner one night. 2 grilled breasts the next night. A quarter of a roasted chicken the night after that. Nowadays, I might eat chicken once a month. After learning how most industrially-farmed chickens were raised, it ruined my appetite for it, and now I only eat local, humanely-raised chicken. The cost of that limits my consumption.

I used to go through a king-sized jar of Jiff Reduced-Fat peanut butter every two weeks. Not the little jar -- the big huge one.

I also used to eat a king-sized carton of goldfish crackers every two weeks. Along with a box of club crackers.

And chocolate and chips would never last in my house any more than a day or two. My parents ate them too, but I had more than my fair share.

...I remember that I lost 30 pounds just by reducing my portions. They were still oversized, sure, but they weren't binge-status anymore.
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ald783 wrote: »
    Tomatoey, I know what you're saying and I have experienced that with donuts where they leave that weird coating on your tongue. I think more than anything, people realize they don't really have the appreciation for certain foods they thought they loved.
    What is the difference between thinking you love a food and actually loving it?

For me it's a matter of whether I would want to take my time and savour the nuance of the flavours or am I looking for a sort of cheap rush (sugar rush, extreme flavour etc.). The first is food I truly love. The second, food I tell myself I want--crave--need--but "love"? Very much akin to the difference between love and lust.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    I wouldn't say it disgusts me, but I haven't felt like eating a chocolate bar at all in quite a while now. Whenever I find myself a tad peckish with a couple of hundred calories to spare, I think about having a chocolate bar, but then decide I can spent those calories on two pieces of fruit instead.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You mean like cheesecake? NOPE, I still eat it! Especially chocolate kind!
    6aee8qj0mecd.jpg

And this?y5gm27ue7h8m.gif

haha pmsl :smiley:

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    I like food

It does not disgust me.

That is like saying one stops enjoying sex because they got divorced

Illogical
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    What do you think? Has anyone deliberately set out to change their attitudes towards the foods they eat? Was it effective?

I don't feel disgust toward any high calorie food I used to eat.
    I have deliberately been eating the same foods pretty much but getting appropriate portion sizes. I guess it has been effective as I've lost 25 lbs.

Not weight loss related but after not eating at certain restaurants for a long time their food doesn't taste as good as it used to. Not sure if they changed something or the change is with me.

• Pucks_and_Balls
    Pucks_and_Balls Posts: 95 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I don't feel disgust toward any high calorie food I used to eat.
    I have deliberately been eating the same foods pretty much but getting appropriate portion sizes. I guess it has been effective as I've lost 25 lbs.

Not weight loss related but after not eating at certain restaurants for a long time their food doesn't taste as good as it used to. Not sure if they changed something or the change is with me.

I agree. I still have fast food every so often, but I've recently realized I don't need the huge portion sizes of the combo meals. I'm not saying it's the healthiest choice ever, but I can now feel a value sized cheeseburger and fries are adequate.

I was actually thinking I would love to hit up KFC for lunch, go figure, but it doesn't seem as appealing today as it did yesterday.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    For those that are disgusted, what sort of things are you disgusted about, give everyone an insight?

I can honestly say I have never been disgusted by what ive eaten, even if it was just chcolate and chips all day or fast food. I would laugh at how unbalanced it was, but this idea of disgust doesnt compute unless it was some vile combination of food or youd resorted to licking out bins?

This idea of demonising food, guilt and generally beating yourself up is all a bit counter productive. Lots of those calorie dense, nutritionallt low foods still taste as good as they ever did.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    For those that are disgusted, what sort of things are you disgusted about, give everyone an insight?

I can honestly say I have never been disgusted by what ive eaten, even if it was just chcolate and chips all day or fast food. I would laugh at how unbalanced it was, but this idea of disgust doesnt compute unless it was some vile combination of food or youd resorted to licking out bins?

This idea of demonising food, guilt and generally beating yourself up is all a bit counter productive. Lots of those calorie dense, nutritionallt low foods still taste as good as they ever did.

??

I guess I don't understand your first sentence. That's pretty much what the OP asked and many have been answering?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Some does, some doesn't. Last xmas I went off low carb and had some xmas pasta. It felt like I literally ate a rock immediately after. I felt heavy and sluggish for a bit. I don't like that feeling. Cookies/candies don't totally do that to me, but it does make me feel gross and sluggishthe next day because my body is used to low carbs.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    I don't find any food disgusting but I do find my tastes changing over time.
    Mainly that I find some foods just far too sweet for me now.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    No, not at all.

I still think that buttered saltines are absolutely heavenly. I just don't make it a habit to eat a sleeve of crackers and a stick at butter all at once anymore.

BUTTERED SALTINES. so good.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I think regular coke is a waste of calories these days....but I am not grossed out by regular coke, Im just like, "I coulda had wine instead. d'oh"