Fast food?

Options

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    because I like the way mcdonalds tastes. and Wendy's and popeyes and taco bell and dominos and qdoba
    I do plenty of cooking on my own but I like the taste of fast food too

and mcgriddles: happy syrupy bacon goodness

Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich w/ Cheese is amazing. I'll work that into my budget any time I have the chance!

Oh dear and sweet popeyes :'( I.effing. <3 . U

Also, for what it's worth, since we're talking about nutrition, it's not like my chicken sandwich from Wendy's has no nutritional value. The way I get it (no mayo, add cheese), it has 550 calories with 35g of protein, 21g of fat, and 58g of carbs. The calories are high, but that's why I eat them on days when I've worked hard. To say you don't get any nutrients from fast food is to show a clear misunderstanding of how this all works.

I know! I'm so with you in this, those burger and those macros hellooo freaking awesome, it couldn't get better than that, I always think that whennpeople say is unhealthy because is not home made, the sodium maybe? , but most of those burger I personally think the calories/macro ratio are good, I spend all the day out of my house, 6/7 I eat home made food, but that one day when I don't bring my food, I thank mcdonalds, is cheap, always close and so easy to fit in my calorie.

So in our case it def. Works I guess..
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    because I like the way mcdonalds tastes. and Wendy's and popeyes and taco bell and dominos and qdoba

Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich w/ Cheese is amazing. I'll work that into my budget any time I have the chance!

Also, for what it's worth, since we're talking about nutrition, it's not like my chicken sandwich from Wendy's has no nutritional value. The way I get it (no mayo, add cheese), it has 550 calories with 35g of protein, 21g of fat, and 58g of carbs. The calories are high, but that's why I eat them on days when I've worked hard. To say you don't get any nutrients from fast food is to show a clear misunderstanding of how this all works.

I agree with this^^.
    There are certain Burgers that have a good amount of Protein in them.
    Plus, there are days when you just want a day off from cooking from scratch.
    There's no harm in eating fast food occasionally.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

TRUE! I had one on Friday sans cheese. It was delicious!
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have been 99.9% fast food free since december of 2014. I will use protein bars or grab some cheese and meats over anything from fast food. Baked chips instead of fries and cauliflower! I had a plain grilled chicken that I ate with no bun the one time I did have fast food. I really really DO NOT MISS IT!!! LOL
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I know! I'm so with you in this, those burger and those macros hellooo freaking awesome, it couldn't get better than that, I always think that whennpeople say is unhealthy because is not home made, the sodium maybe? , but most of those burger I personally think the calories/macro ratio are good, I spend all the day out of my house, 6/7 I eat home made food, but that one day when I don't bring my food, I thank mcdonalds, is cheap, always close and so easy to fit in my calorie.

The sodium is definitely high, but my sodium on days when I eat home-prepared whole food is also high. Cottage cheese? Oh, hello there sodium!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

The sodium, the trans fats, the saturated fat...all stuff that does us no good and some that is actually harming us.

Also, there is so much more to nutrition than macros. Micros! All those nutrients we need and aren't getting from the Quarter Pounder. Furthermore, the a Quarter Pounder is taking up so many calories that we now cannot squeeze the nutrients we need into our day without eating way over the calories.

There is more to food than macros.

So, we have to choose between the food that gives us things that hurt us without many of the vitamins and minerals we need or food that has lots of vitamins and minerals without the trans fats.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat McDonald's. If it's cheap and you like it and it works for you, go for it!! That is what you should do. I am just clarifying what some of us are thinking when we say it's not healthy and we've chosen something healthier - why we say that.
  • karyabc
    Options

The sodium is definitely high, but my sodium on days when I eat home-prepared whole food is also high. Cottage cheese? Oh, hello there sodium!

Lol \ :D / #Amen
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Well, I would say that given the meals and restaurant, the apple slices, yogurt parfait, and possibly one of the salads depending on how it looked would be it for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

The sodium, the trans fats, the saturated fat...all stuff that does us no good and some that is actually harming us.

Also, there is so much more to nutrition than macros. Micros! All those nutrients we need and aren't getting from the Quarter Pounder. Furthermore, the a Quarter Pounder is taking up so many calories that we now cannot squeeze the nutrients we need into our day without eating way over the calories.

So, we have to choose between the food that gives us things that hurt us without many of the vitamins and minerals we need or food that has lots of vitamins and minerals without the trans fats.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat McDonald's. If it's cheap and you like it and it works for you, go for it!! That is what you should do. I am just clarifying what some of us are thinking when we say it's not healthy and we've chosen something healthier - why we say that.

Presumably the person eating the Quarter Pounder is also eating other things that day. Things that have nutrients. According to a search I just did, it has 417 calories. It isn't that hard to fit a 417 calorie sandwich into a day's plan, especially when it has 24 grams of protein, 22% of the RDA for iron, and other assorted nutrients.

• karyabc
    Options

Kalikel got to go for now, I'll give you a better answer later

.. But just remember we are talking in a context of one day, one exception..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty much the same about fast food. I can't even remember the last time I had it. But in the situation you describe, I'd probably have gone for the quater pounder and maybe a small fry, depending on what else I had eaten or planned to eat that day, if I ate there at all. Chances are I'd have packed something to eat and only ordered a large iced tea.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much fast food but it's generally easy to find something that fits into my allotments. "Regular" restaurants or gourmet burger places OTOH... Ever look up the calories for a place like Red Robin? Yikes!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I don't eat much fast food but it's generally easy to find something that fits into my allotments. "Regular" restaurants or gourmet burger places OTOH... Ever look up the calories for a place like Red Robin? Yikes!

I'm still trying to figure the need for a bottomless side of fries...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    peter56765 wrote: »

I'm still trying to figure the need for a bottomless side of fries...
    I don't know that I'd call it a "need," per se, but I'm pretty down with their fries.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Kalikel got to go for now, I'll give you a better answer later

.. But just remember we are talking in a context of one day, one exception..

I don't need an answer. Just sharing why I'd say it's not healthy. I am not trying to stop you from eating McDonald's. I'm not trying to get you to agree. And I'm sure not saying, "My way of dieting is better than your way."

You said you didn't know why people say that and I gave you - at least for me - some reasons that it is said. That's it. :)

You do not need an excuse to eat McDonald's or to justify it to me in any way. You like it, it works for you - that's what you should do! :)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So, I guess it's now necessary to point out that my sandwich also comes with 0 trans fat, 7 sat. fat, 560mg potassium, 15% A, 20% C, 20% Calcium, 20% Iron...

I guess now that I type it out, it's clear that my fast food sandwich doesn't help meet my micro needs at all...
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I like fast food.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Came here to say that yesterday I had a Filet-o-Fish and fries. Still lost half a pound over the weekend! A weekend that included to Iowa State Fair AND deep fried Snickers.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Came here to say that yesterday I had a Filet-o-Fish and fries. Still lost half a pound over the weekend! A weekend that included to Iowa State Fair AND deep fried Snickers.

I went to the Iowa State Fair on Sat., and had been eating poorly over all of last week. I've been quite busy with work and classes and just lacked the focus to both eat below calories and get everything done I needed to do. But I was caught up enough on everything by Fri. night to allow myself to go to the fair. After eating poorly last week (mostly fast food, and mostly at a surplus), I went to the fair and ate a walking taco, pork chop on a stick, nachos and cheese, funnel cake, jalapeno cheese corn dog, and 21 beers (most of them were smalls / sample size at the craft beer tent... so most were 4 oz. beers and only a few of them were 16 oz.).

So I gained 6.4 lbs. last week.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

I went to the Iowa State Fair on Sat., and had been eating poorly over all of last week. I've been quite busy with work and classes and just lacked the focus to both eat below calories and get everything done I needed to do. But I was caught up enough on everything by Fri. night to allow myself to go to the fair. After eating poorly last week (mostly fast food, and mostly at a surplus), I went to the fair and ate a walking taco, pork chop on a stick, nachos and cheese, funnel cake, and 21 beers (most of them were smalls / sample size at the craft beer tent... so most were 4 oz. beers and only a few of them were 16 oz.).

So I gained 6.4 lbs. last week.
    I did not eat alone, however things I sampled/shared: walking taco, philly and cheese, deep fried snickers, corn brat, lemonade, bunny tracks ice cream. And walked 20,000 steps!