What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    mcornall88 wrote: »
    How after a few weeks your hunger and cravings simply vanish. I can barely eat a whole meal now that I'm able to distinguish between actually hungry and satiated/full.

yep. & it's so easy now to simply eat half of the dish I order at a restaurant. I could never do that before. I'd literally gulp it all down and feel like my stomach would burst soon after. Eating to be satisfied is probably one of the hardest things to master and now it's second nature. (I believe it took over 6 months)
  • rongata
    rongata Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    People totally treat you different even though you are the same person!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    amyhs12345 wrote: »
    I have only lost about 15 pounds so far so maybe someone of these are only true for me:
    - you will still have cravings for the unhealthy foods you used to eat like chips and pizza... I am still waiting for the day when I don't think Cheetos are delicious
    - when your sister or other close people don't comment on your weight loss you start to question if you even look any different than before
    - weight loss can start to consume so many of your thoughts to where I sometimes questions if it is healthy to think about it so much
    - but overall how much your confidence will increase and make you wonder why you waited so long to do this

But Cheetos ARE delicious! Seriously, I don't think you stop liking junk food, but you get to a place where you don't need it and when you do indulge, you can do it in moderation and be satisfied. That's how I feel now. Every once in a while, I'll eat 3 servings of chips (really not hard to do...) but generally, I'll just eat one and really enjoy it.
  • sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I find that men are more friendly to me. I receive so many compliments from so many people wherever I go. I find running so much easier and my fitness in general has improved. I have to work out daily else I feel horrible. I enjoy wearing clothes that show off my new body. And I look forward to eating my healthy meals. My fridge is always packed with vegetables. I find it uncomfortable to sit for long periods of time. My butt starts to hurt as I have little cushioning left.
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    rongata wrote: »
    People totally treat you different even though you are the same person!

I feel like this is me when it comes to getting jobs after I have an interview. When I was bigger, and it was the last time I was looking for a job I went to countless interviews before I finally found a job. Recently, I had a job interview for a temp job and it was the only interview I had since looking for a job and got it. Then, after the temp job ended it only took 3 interviews before I got a job and I am just waiting to hear back from one of the others. Granted, when I was interviewing at a higher weight it was in the middle of the recession so that could've contributed to how long it took me to get a job. However, I can't help but think that losing weight has helped. Especially considering I still interviewed at the same kinds of businesses and the way I act hasn't changed.

• keezo1
    keezo1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    SCP0914 wrote: »
    I find that I'm not trying to run out of the camera's way quite as much. Also since losing weight in my face, my resting b*tch face appears to be less severe now, which I think is making me more approachable.

This
  • jrc5423
    jrc5423 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jrc5423 wrote: »
    People in general, especially men, treat you much better. I went home to visit my parents one weekend and saw an old highschool crush at church. In school he always acted snobby and standoffish to me and like he couldn't be bothered to speak to me. And he would pretend he didn't know me or my family in church for a good 7 years. When I saw him at the service he literally tripped and fell over a pew trying to come over and talk to me. My dad had a good laugh when he asked me to grab dinner and catch up.

Several years ago my friend lost a lot of weight (100-ish lbs), and long story short, we bumped into her old crush - the guy who, after finding out she liked him, laughed and said "never in her lifetime," and then proceeded to hook-up with her cousin - who practicaly fell over himself to get her to go out with him. She turned him down, obviously, and when we got back at hers she started to cry because it reminded her of how terribly she was treated by everyone when she was fat. It was awful. :(

Another thing: for a long time after she lost the weight (I'm talking *years*) she'd always check herself out in reflective surfaces and ask me if she looked fat, and when I told her no, would ask if I was being honest. After a while it really started to irritate me because she obviously wasn't. I thought she was just fishing for compliments. Now, after reading this thread, I realize that she probably genuinely felt she still looked fat because her mind hadn't quite caught up with her appearance.

That's terrible :'( I think the psychological aspects of being overweight for most of your life continue to affect you long after you've lost the weight. Sometimes I think the compliments can make it worse because you are constantly reminded of how fat you were before. And it's harder to trust in people too, after seeing how much better they treat you at a lower weight. It's human nature I guess to get more attention when you look good, but you know the person inside is still the same, and unfortunately some people don't seem to care at all about personality and strong character.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    misjent wrote: »
    Your morning breadth will be just horrific!

So glad you said this! I kind of thought it was just me! But yeah...it is horrible!

Wow I thought I must have a tooth that's bad was at the dentist last week got told my teeth were fine! But the taste is horrible why? X
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    I used to hate people who said they just had 10 pounds to lose. well, I have hit the point where I am just under 10 pounds to a normal BMI. Putting foot in mouth now

Yes! I'm just about in the same place (12 pounds to go). When you have 80 to lose, as I did when I started, 10 seems like NOTHING. Now it seems like Mt. Everest!
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    I used to hate people who said they just had 10 pounds to lose. well, I have hit the point where I am just under 10 pounds to a normal BMI. Putting foot in mouth now

Yes! I'm just about in the same place (12 pounds to go). When you have 80 to lose, as I did when I started, 10 seems like NOTHING. Now it seems like Mt. Everest!

I look forward to this day for me. Well done both of you for coming so far.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I never realised how much each small victory would mean to me, but as I become fitter and lose more weight, those victories become harder to achieve and considered a victory even for 'normal' people. My memory has tricked me into thinking the past 60lb lost was simple compared to the next 30 I need to lose.
    Now This I Understand!!!!
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am more open to the idea of the cat cuddling with me on warm summer nights, because I am cooler.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!