What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I get told I look great and done well
    (Positive of course) but I also look in the mirror a lot and it's troubling I know what I want and can be but that not me and pushes me harder
  • boldenbarbcenturylinknet
    Options
    Loose skin :/ .. I only lost 40 pounds as opposed to people who have to deal with huge amounts of loose skin due to 100 pound, etc. weight losses, and it took a good 2-3 years of working out to snap things back (mostly) into place lol

Options
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    The biggest thing for me was that a lot of my expenditure on new clothes ended up being WARM clothes! When I weighed 15 lbs more (I'm really short) I was always too hot. Now I am always too cold and wear fleeces and vests and fleece leggings constantly from September to May.

How I have to constantly readjust my knees when lying on my side. Ow.

That I would actually develop a waist on the front of my body instead of having a waist only on my back and sides, and the opposite on my belly. . . so glad that belly is going/gone!

Boy I hear ya sister. I'm cold more often than not also, after loosing 40 lbs. This has been hard to get used to...the being cold.
    Options
    JMRod wrote: »
    Walking into Lane Bryant to buy new bras and being told, "we don't carry your size". I had to go to Victoria's Secret:-)

Being able to buy clothes off the rack has been awesome!! Took some getting used too as clothes in my new size looked too small. Imagine that.:)
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    + You realize you don't need to go into the handicap stall in the bathroom any more to feel like you have enough room. Strange things like that.

This! !!

I know, isn't that funny.
    Options
    I've gotten a ton of compliments on my weight loss but I've also had friends and family ask me if I was sick. I wasn't expecting that. It's always a good thing to tell them "Nope, I just started eating better and exercising".

While it's flattering to get compliments, I've found the more weight I've lost, the more embarrassing it's been to reveal how much I've lost in total. When I had lost 40-50 lbs, I proudly stated that number whenever asked. Now, I've lost over 90 lbs and if someone asks, I just say something like "I've lost a little" and try to deflect from giving a precise answer.

I've had to learn to graciously accept as truth when I'm complimented instead of doubting. My initial reaction to compliments is to argue or disbelieve the sincerity of what is said. Not good, just go with it. I've chosen to believe
    I'm being told the truth about how I look...now!
    Yippie skippy.
    Options
    How much it annoys me when someone says, "oh, you don't have to watch what you eat!" or, "oh, you don't have to work out!"

I feel like they're disrespecting the discipline and hard work it takes to be healthy ...

For me, I found that I did a complete 180°. I used to be jealous of people that were thin and healthy and fit. No more. I've learned that you don't get many days off being healthy unless you're one of those rare breeds that can eat and eat and eat and not gain an ounce. For the rest of us, it's a daily grind and those people that I was jealous of...they put in the work, daily, to be what they are.

Now I'm more jealous of those who are overweight because they can also eat whatever they want, whenever they want and not think about fitting it into their calories. I have no desire to be like that again, but sometimes I am jealous.
    Boy, you really hit a nerve here. I totally agree. I do Masters Crossfit. I'm a 69 yr old woman, and work my tail off 3 times a week with 7 other women my age. I also watch my diet closly. There is no striving for sainthood here, however I take very good care of myself now and love the reward of good health and fitness!!!
    Options
    Serious for a second:
    - Realizing that it wasn't my weight that was making me unhappy. There was something broken in my head. Once I fixed that, I was able to start losing the weight. I had to learn to love myself so that I could lose weight, instead of losing weight so that I could love myself.

Not so serious:
    - Waking up in the morning and feeling my hip bones. I've never felt them before. I didn't realize how high up into my abdomen they go!
    - Looking forward to my workouts (and feeling miserable if I miss them)
    - Realizing that I can actually eat cake and ice cream, as long as I fit them into my calories. I went years without eating them or feeling guilty when I did. I don't feel guilty about food any more.
    - Being able to breathe easier. I don't get winded walking anymore. I actually like to park on the other side of the parking lot. I don't have to hold my breath when I tie my shoes.
    - Sleeping better. I think I used to have a touch of sleep apnea (I would snore really bad and was always tired no matter how long I slept). I just feel better rested and actually wake up earlier without being so cranky.
    - Putting on a pair of pants that I bought two weeks ago and having them be a little loose. It's kind of annoying, but feels good too.
    - Realizing that my brain doesn't keep up with my weight loss. If I have big clothes in the house, I will wear them. I have to donate them in order for me to not wear them. I have a box of clothes in smaller sizes that were handed down to me. I have to force myself to try them on once a month, or I will never think that they will fit me (even though I see the previous bullet point happen).

I always knew something was missing in my life, but didn't realize until I lost weight that the missing part was ME!!
  • quafferj
    quafferj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    quafferj wrote: »
    That at almost 50lbs down, I wouldn't see a change in my body...I still fit into my same clothes.....

I have the same issue. I can still wear most of my large sizes but, when I went to try on clothes for a couple of weddings this summer, I can fit into much smaller sizes.
    I think we're liking the looser fit of our old stuff. NSVs to be sure! However, smaller sizes can be comfy and we don't have to hitch 'em up throughout the day!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    How good it feels to have people at the gym comment on your progress. Yes, I am doing this for me but it is good to know someone else notices.

I've lost around 50lbs so far and apart from my mother and a childhood friend, no one tells me anything, unless I mention it. Don't get me wrong I'm really happy that those two noticed. I wanted to jump in the air, but I thought I could get motivation and support from more people. I wonder why they are staying so silent, I mean 50lbs is noticeable, right? It would really help me, since I am not done yet.

The new problem I've encountered is with my underwear. They keep slipping and the leg holes are way too big lol. I need a new set lol

I've thought the same regarding people noticing my weight loss(besides close family). But somebody posted a good reason for that. Weight is a touchy thing and many may not want to embarrass us. Lol, with that said I know that I want people today ,"you've lost weight", and I'm only down 25lbs. Oh well, you know how hard you've worked for this. You rock!!
  • shuskey4200
    shuskey4200 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    - That eating healthy, veggies & low fat, lean meats) can mean eating a lot of food - some days I am just tired of eating, and still don't reach my calorie goal.
    - Those who have seen me go up and down over the years are not saying anything about my weight loss (and they never say anything about the gains either)
    - Working out makes you smaller even when the weight loss is not so great.
    - Sometimes your friends need to change to enable your goals (aka no more drinking night out with the girls.)

hahaha i just started on a 1200-1600 diet, and yes it seems you dont stop eating, Im never hungry!!!
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Accidental double post.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Accidental double post.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!