for those of you who are scared to eat whatever you want...

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to disagree with those arguing that nutrition is important. I agree completely that it is.

I tend to think people who don't like vegetables should keep making an effort to try them in new and different preparations until they find a way to eat them.

BUT...

Those of you castigating the OP are missing her point and derailing this thread and spreading some really bad information here. Your body just digests food. It doesn't have two different pathways for processed and natural foods or something ridiculous like that. Humans are remarkably adaptable, and it takes us very, very long stretches of deprivation to notice the effects from deficiencies.

Learning a new way of eating is something that can be conquered in steps. Right now, the OP is addressing HOW MUCH she's eating. Maybe her next step will be tackling WHAT she's eating.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to disagree with those arguing that nutrition is important. I agree completely that it is.

I tend to think people who don't like vegetables should keep making an effort to try them in new and different preparations until they find a way to eat them.

BUT...

Those of you castigating the OP are missing her point and derailing this thread and spreading some really bad information here. Your body just digests food. It doesn't have two different pathways for processed and natural foods or something ridiculous like that. Humans are remarkably adaptable, and it takes us very, very long stretches of deprivation to notice the effects from deficiencies.

Learning a new way of eating is something that can be conquered in steps. Right now, the OP is addressing HOW MUCH she's eating. Maybe her next step will be tackling WHAT she's eating.

Honestly, if there was a separate pathway for processed foods, treating obesity would be a lot easier to target. Just find a way to disable the processed pathway. Then unlimited processed foods for everyone.
  • bfit172
    bfit172 Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bfit172 wrote: »
    just remember your body processes the calories from sugary and fatty foods differently than the calories from lean meat and foods with higher nutritional values.

No, it doesn't.

Let me reword that.... It's about the quality of the calorie. If You have 2 foods of the same amount of calories but one has higher fiber or vitamins and the others calories are made up of mostly carbs fat and sugars your going to see a different impact
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

BUT...

+1
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ignore these posts! People are missing your point. I say good for yoU! I had pizza and wine last night for dinner . As long as you stay within your calorie goal and keep up the exercise, indulging once in a while is fine! Calories in, calories out! BUT incorporating healthier foods is a good idea...for your health that is!
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    But..that was not the point of the thread. Im never going to eat vegetables unless i get a tongue transplant or something. And the ones i do like..well lets just say they come in a can.

For basically my whole life i basically thought i was doomed to be fat because i don't like (read hate) most healthy food. I have really strong food adversions.

So my health aside, i am pretty sure i get enough iron based on the amount of bread, cereal, and red meat i eat..anyways. you can eat all the food.
    Have you tried all the vegetables and prepared them in several different ways? I'm sure you know that there are a million things you can do with corn and that it tastes a little different, depending on how you make it. ALL the veggies are like that. Prepare them different ways and they taste a little different. There are so many veggies and so many ways to prepare them! I'll bet that if you worked at it, you'd find more veggies that you like.

I'm not going to lecture you on your health or diet. That's your beezwax, not mine. Just tossing out the idea that maybe vegetables can be included in "all the food," if you want to try to include them. I once had trouble with veggies, too, so I know that some of us veggie-haters can turn a new lettuce leaf.

Food for thought. :)

• glitzy196
    Options
    But..that was not the point of the thread. Im never going to eat vegetables unless i get a tongue transplant or something. And the ones i do like..well lets just say they come in a can.

For basically my whole life i basically thought i was doomed to be fat because i don't like (read hate) most healthy food. I have really strong food adversions.

So my health aside, i am pretty sure i get enough iron based on the amount of bread, cereal, and red meat i eat..anyways. you can eat all the food.
    Have you tried all the vegetables and prepared them in several different ways? I'm sure you know that there are a million things you can do with corn and that it tastes a little different, depending on how you make it. ALL the veggies are like that. Prepare them different ways and they taste a little different. There are so many veggies and so many ways to prepare them! I'll bet that if you worked at it, you'd find more veggies that you like.

I'm not going to lecture you on your health or diet. That's your beezwax, not mine. Just tossing out the idea that maybe vegetables can be included in "all the food," if you want to try to include them. I once had trouble with veggies, too, so I know that some of us veggie-haters can turn a new lettuce leaf.

It is so hard to talk about being picky with someone who is not. I want to say on behalf of picky eaters everywhere..being picky sucks. It sucks so vad it is almost dibilitating. I hate being invited over for dinner, i wish i liked salad. 2 cuos for 15 calories?? Id be so skinny! (At least that's what i tell myself!)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    just remember your body processes the calories from sugary and fatty foods differently than the calories from lean meat and foods with higher nutritional values.

No, it doesn't.

Let me reword that.... It's about the quality of the calorie. If You have 2 foods of the same amount of calories but one has higher fiber or vitamins and the others calories are made up of mostly carbs fat and sugars your going to see a different impact

"different" though, does not inherently mean "better" or "worse".

In a diet lacking in fats and protein, a chicken nugget would be a superior choice to a bowl of broccoli.

To a diet lacking in fiber and micronutrients, the converse might be true.

Either way, 150 calories of chicken nuggets = 150 calories of broccoli from a weight loss standpoint, which is the OP's point.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't.

This is an extremely vague statement. In terms of weight loss there would be no discernible impact.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm torn between tearing you a new one for eating that kind of crap (AND for letting your child eating chicken nuggets, unless they're the new 'healthy' kind that probably don't taste good) or jotting down everything you ate that day so that *I* can follow that diet for a day and have a really fun dining experience and hopefully a similar weight loss!!! Congratulations!!!!

Lol my kid packed his lunch lol.

Hey, can he pack my lunch?

You're doing fine eating what you can tolerate. I'm sure people will deride my lack of fruits and veggies, or that they're not certain types, or come from a can, or are dried.

Next time you have Little Caesars, let me know. I haven't had it in decades.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

It is so hard to talk about being picky with someone who is not. I want to say on behalf of picky eaters everywhere..being picky sucks. It sucks so vad it is almost dibilitating. I hate being invited over for dinner, i wish i liked salad. 2 cuos for 15 calories?? Id be so skinny! (At least that's what i tell myself!)
    I get the picky thing. Like I said, I didn't always eat veggies. I hadn't had them prepared in ways I liked!

It's just a suggestion from one former-picky person to a currently-picky one. Feel free to disregard it! :)

Skipping veggies doesn't mean you can't lose weight. You'll still get there. :)
  • glitzy196
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm torn between tearing you a new one for eating that kind of crap (AND for letting your child eating chicken nuggets, unless they're the new 'healthy' kind that probably don't taste good) or jotting down everything you ate that day so that *I* can follow that diet for a day and have a really fun dining experience and hopefully a similar weight loss!!! Congratulations!!!!

You're doing fine eating what you can tolerate. I'm sure people will deride my lack of fruits and veggies, or that they're not certain types, or come from a can, or are dried.

its so good, and i was craving really bad wed night, so i looked to see how many calories i had left and turns out if i got cheese i could have THREE slices. which ended up feeling like a lot of food, and honestly after the second slice I didn't need anymore, but i had logged it so.....i stuffed my face.

and i had to pieces left for the next day. it was sheer gluttonous non cheating JOY.

I also find it weird that people trying to lose weight on here eat so many veggies, like how the crap did you even get fat? were you actually going over your calories with all your healthy choices? i mean i pizza-ed, pancaked, and donuted my way to 220 lbs. happy I am now in onderland. but barely lol!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I went back and read the OP's post. I can't find where she asked for any critiques on her diet. Nor did she ask what she should be eating.

I think her point was that someone could still lose weight and not have the healthiest diet. Some of her choices weren't that bad...IMO.

OP...I am having a similar day today...a planned one. I eat lots of vegetables but I am kind of burned out on them so today I am having a ham sandwich with cheese, onion, tomato and avocado along with chips for lunch.

Tonight I am having pizza.

Breakfast was a bowl of cereal w/banana and almond milk.

Could I be making healthier choices...I guess so but oh well. There is always tomorrow for more veggies...but not today.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I went back and read the OP's post. I can't find where she asked for any critiques on her diet. Nor did she ask what she should be eating.

I think her point was that someone could still lose weight and not have the healthiest diet.
    Some of her choices weren't that bad...IMO.

OP...I am having a similar day today...a planned one. I eat lots of vegetables but I am kind of burned out on them so today I am having a ham sandwich with cheese, onion, tomato and avocado along with chips for lunch.

Tonight I am having pizza.

Breakfast was a bowl of cereal w/banana and almond milk.

Could I be making healthier choices...I guess so but oh well. There is always tomorrow for more veggies...but not today.

Werd! B)

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »
    Ignore these posts! People are missing your point. I say good for yoU! I had pizza and wine last night for dinner . As long as you stay within your calorie goal and keep up the exercise, indulging once in a while is fine! Calories in, calories out! BUT incorporating healthier foods is a good idea...for your health that is!

+1

And especially ignore people who want to "rip you a new one" for what they think you should/shouldn't feed YOUR kid.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »

+1

And especially ignore people who want to "rip you a new one" for what they think you should/shouldn't feed YOUR kid.

I couldn't figure out if they were kidding or not so I decided not to write out my original thoughts. Probably best that I didn't express those thoughts.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people think they have the right to "rip you a new one"...some random anonymous internet stranger.

• RaeB1013
    RaeB1013 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

its so good, and i was craving really bad wed night, so i looked to see how many calories i had left and turns out if i got cheese i could have THREE slices. which ended up feeling like a lot of food, and honestly after the second slice I didn't need anymore, but i had logged it so.....i stuffed my face.

and i had to pieces left for the next day. it was sheer gluttonous non cheating JOY.

I also find it weird that people trying to lose weight on here eat so many veggies, like how the crap did you even get fat? were you actually going over your calories with all your healthy choices? i mean i pizza-ed, pancaked, and donuted my way to 220 lbs. happy I am now in onderland. but barely lol!

I rarely chime in on these boards but I'm compelled to post on this one and say that the statement above is actually kind of rude. I've been overweight for a long time and am currently 60 lbs down out of 150 to lose. I ate some really crappy food over the last 2 decades to get me to where I was, but also ate some really good stuff. I have always liked veggies, salad, fruits, etc. I think that you having a misconception that overweight people don't enjoy healthy foods is actually part of the problem. It leads to a lot of preconceived notions and poor judgments of people who are overweight. There can be a bunch of reasons for that, not just that they eat bad food.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Not liking vegetables isn't something the OP has to 'get over.' She's a grownass adult and can eat whatever she wants!

Veggies aren't the be all and end all of nutritious eating ;)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Tracking what you would normally eat and fitting it into your daily calorie goal is a great start!

Over time, you should try to adjust your eating to meet your macro/micro goals to ensure you are getting adequate nutrition. That's something you can do slowly over time.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Not liking vegetables isn't something the OP has to 'get over.' She's a grownass adult and can eat whatever she wants!

Veggies aren't the be all and end all of nutritious eating ;)

+1