Keep gaining weight but doing everything right

Options
Once again, in an intensive training program as I play pro badminton. I have badminton training ~10 hours a week, tennis ~7 hours a week. Do my fitbit 10k steps and some swimming and jogging when I can together with weight training.
I eat a plan of Protein>Carb>Fat and cut sugar by 80%.
I keep gaining weight, have gained 15kg since last year (7 month break due to injury but didn't gain anything then). I am obviously getting muscle mass, however, my body fat % is hardly moving more than 0.X.
I had my thryoid checked and it is working hard but still normal. No diabetes either.
I realise I do more anaerobic training but it should still show something......
Has anyone had similar problems? I keep getting bloodwork done but they can't find anything.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight over time, you're eating over maintenance level.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see your logging... if you're gaining, you're probably eating over your maintenance calories as @DeguelloTex has said.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating, and how are you logging your food?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    The numbers you've given us (33 lbs in 12 months gain) indicate you are overeating by an average of 315 or so calories per day.

How's your food logging? Do you weigh everything before you eat it?

This isn't knocking the weight gain, since a lot of it might have been muscle. Do you measure yourself to see how many inches you've gained and where?
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Even though you're very active, you're not eating in a deficit, so you're eating more calories than your body's using.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If your not eating at a deficit , then you won't lose weight

It doesn't matter that you've cut out sugar or try to eat healthy.

For weight loss, it comes down to calories
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can see what you are eating?

If you are not losing, you are eating too much. Could be you are under estimating what you are eating by not properly logging or weighing out your foods. Never use a measuring cup for food as it is not accurate at all, always use the grams listing for serving sizes.

There's no way you have gained much muscle mass over the past year. Your weight gain would be a small amount of muscle, but mainly fat and water.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You are missing one key answer....how much have you been eating?
  • BoricuaUK
    BoricuaUK Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I haven't been overeating, in fact I am constantly under my calorie goal. I eat a special diet too, FODMAP, which are just easier digestible foods, so no lactose and low gluten etc.
    Sure I've noticed I am getting muscle both around my legs and arms, noticeable biceps and forearms, but that isn't 15kgs.
    Just very frustrating, hoping to find out what it is at some point.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    BoricuaUK wrote: »
    I haven't been overeating, in fact I am constantly under my calorie goal. I eat a special diet too, FODMAP, which are just easier digestible foods, so no lactose and low gluten etc.
    Sure I've noticed I am getting muscle both around my legs and arms, noticeable biceps and forearms, but that isn't 15kgs.
    Just very frustrating, hoping to find out what it is at some point.
    If you're gaining weight, you're overeating.

If you're constantly under your calorie goal, your goal is too high or you're not logging correctly.

• BoricuaUK
    Options
    I don't and it would 't make sense anyway......I ate the same when I was off training because of my injury and I didn't gain any weight during that time. I only gained through the time I was training. Training actually makes me less hungry and I can end up eating very little, which of course isn't idea, either.
    I've been down because of this so I've been a bit lazy for two weeks now.....and nop, have not gained anything.
  • WBB55
    Options
    I don't and it would 't make sense anyway......I ate the same when I was off training because of my injury and I didn't gain any weight during that time. I only gained through the time I was training. Training actually makes me less hungry and I can end up eating very little, which of course isn't idea, either.
    I've been down because of this so I've been a bit lazy for two weeks now.....and nop, have not gained anything.

Are you weighing your food on a digital scale? If you're not, unfortunately there is very little chance you know your intake is accurate. A 'cup' of your breakfast cereal could be 150 calories or 350, you wouldn't know if you don't weight it. Open your diary and people can give you more targeted advice.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

A whole bunch of questions have been asked of you up thread to try and cover the basics and weed out some of the easy answers. I know you think that you know more than everyone here trying to help, but if you want answers that are more specific to your situation then you need to give us as much information as you can.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    You do. You can accept it or you can argue.

If you're gaining weight, you're eating more than maintenance. It really is as simply as that. Unless you think your body is magic.

• megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back all your exercise calories?
  • BoricuaUK
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I haven't logged properly on here, I've used the fitbit app. But I'm gonna start logging here again.
    I know pretty well what I am eating and not as I'm a medical researcher. I've had everything from food and nutrition to physiology and so on. My food plan is also done by professionals and checked every now and then.
    Thanks for the suggestions though, I'm gonna have to just keep trying.
  • WBB55
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ... I'm gonna have to just keep trying.

trying =/= logging accurately by using a digital scale

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

• DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I haven't logged properly on here, I've used the fitbit app. But I'm gonna start logging here again.
    I know pretty well what I am eating and not as I'm a medical researcher. I've had everything from food and nutrition to physiology and so on. My food plan is also done by professionals and checked every now and then.
    Thanks for the suggestions though, I'm gonna have to just keep trying.
    If you're a medical researcher, what would you list as possible causes of weight gain without a caloric surplus? Other than, perhaps, an aggressive tumor or tapeworm, what else is there over this timeframe?
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Do you use sports drinks during training? Before? Recovery drinks after?
This discussion has been closed.