Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    hi, I see you have posted something that sets off a bunch of (the same) people who love to call everyone else trolls! just ignore it.

I've been consulting with an ayurvedic nutritionist for about three months now and it has had a radical impact on my digestion. Would love to have a real discussion but just try to be entertained by these people. If they met you in person they would have a hard time being this rude.

I'm a former competitive athlete (and I had psuedomembraneous intercolitis earlier in my life), so I've tried everything, this is the first thing that has really helped my digestion. Also Deepak Chopra kinda has nothing to do with it. He's one dude.

Right, @WildePillar I noticed that a lot of people's only contribution to the discussion was to bash Deepak Chopra, hardly an indicator of a breadth of knowledge on the subject of Ayurveda.

What about those who posted...you know...real science showing dangerously high levels of toxic heavy metals in many of the treatments?

ETA: Not to mention the complete lack of ANY sort of scientific evidence showing positive effects (helpful hint - personal anecdotes =/= scientific evidence)

what are these treatments? ayurvedic eating in my experience doesn't involve treatments?

And yes, I'm talking from my experience. I'm definitely not a scientist, and obviously tests are important to pay attention to. I often feel on these forums that folks are really cherry-picking these tests as I see western doctors in LA where I live (and in Austin TX, and New York city where I used to live) that ascribed to acupuncture, ayurveda, yoga etc. It's not that far out folks!

In short, I feel better (personally, again not a doctor), and thought that experience could be helpful for this woman.

Pseudoscience with no discernible standards or measurable definitions can be easily used to fleece people. That's the reason you see proliferation in western locations. It's money.

The problem, I think, is that you took a path towards improvement and, when you realized that improvement, are now crediting it to ayurveda when, in reality, all you did was start eating better. You could have done that without the woo and still feel as good as you do now. And you'd have $175 more dollars in your pocket (minus the $19.99 for the cookbook, of course).
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    hi, I see you have posted something that sets off a bunch of (the same) people who love to call everyone else trolls! just ignore it.

I've been consulting with an ayurvedic nutritionist for about three months now and it has had a radical impact on my digestion. Would love to have a real discussion but just try to be entertained by these people. If they met you in person they would have a hard time being this rude.

I'm a former competitive athlete (and I had psuedomembraneous intercolitis earlier in my life), so I've tried everything, this is the first thing that has really helped my digestion. Also Deepak Chopra kinda has nothing to do with it. He's one dude.

Right, @WildePillar I noticed that a lot of people's only contribution to the discussion was to bash Deepak Chopra, hardly an indicator of a breadth of knowledge on the subject of Ayurveda.

What about those who posted...you know...real science showing dangerously high levels of toxic heavy metals in many of the treatments?

ETA: Not to mention the complete lack of ANY sort of scientific evidence showing positive effects (helpful hint - personal anecdotes =/= scientific evidence)

what are these treatments? ayurvedic eating in my experience doesn't involve treatments?

Two different studies were posted earlier in the thread, and (not surprisingly) have been complete ignored by the supporters.
    And yes, I'm talking from my experience. I'm definitely not a scientist, and obviously tests are important to pay attention to. I often feel on these forums that folks are really cherry-picking these tests as I see western doctors in LA where I live (and in Austin TX, and New York city where I used to live) that ascribed to acupuncture, ayurveda, yoga etc. It's not that far out folks!

In short, I feel better (personally, again not a doctor), and thought that experience could be helpful for this woman.

The thing is, basing advice on "dem feelz" is simply not going to pass muster on this site.

no, i get that. maybe it's helpful to someone.

I'll check out the studies, I'm trying to work and not get sucked into this so didn't read every post, was really commenting on the first person.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

Don't kid yourself. I can't be banned from real life. If I posted what I really thought of some of these posts, you'd be looking at a "user banned, please carry on" avatar on my posts.

You only see relatively polite me post here.

• ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    So long as a balanced, nutritious diet is eaten, an Ayurvedic diet will not hurt you.
    Some people like bland, tasteless, lukewarm food.
  • margaretlb4
    edited August 2015
    Options

Pseudoscience with no discernible standards or measurable definitions can be easily used to fleece people. That's the reason you see proliferation in western locations. It's money.

The problem, I think, is that you took a path towards improvement and, when you realized that improvement, are now crediting it to ayurveda when, in reality, all you did was start eating better. You could have done that without the woo and still feel as good as you do now. And you'd have $175 more dollars in your pocket (minus the $19.99 for the cookbook, of course).

I agree about the fleecing and all the new agey stuff making money. I see it everywhere, and it's a slippery slope. But I don't think $175 is much to pay someone to totally jumpstart my digestion. I don't think I would have figured it out on my own. I'm trying to work so don't want to totally go into it here but woudl be happy to write you a message explaining why it's specific to me and why i think it helped. I agree that of course it's better to just, well, eat better but there were some things that weren't so obvious as that going on, and had to do with me, my history and my physical makeup. I woudn't have gotten there on my own, and I was already eating extremely healthy, just not the right things for my body and it was giving my stomach a hard time.
  • tincanonastring
    edited August 2015
    Options

I agree about the fleecing and all the new agey stuff making money. I see it everywhere, and it's a slippery slope. But I don't think $175 is much to pay someone to totally jumpstart my digestion. I don't think I would have figured it out on my own. I'm trying to work so don't want to totally go into it here but woudl be happy to write you a message explaining why it's specific to me and why i think it helped. I agree that of course it's better to just, well, eat better but there were some things that weren't so obvious as that going on, and had to do with me, my history and my physical makeup. I woudn't have gotten there on my own, and I was already eating extremely healthy, just not the right things for my body and it was giving my stomach a hard time.

Nah, don't sweat it. You're fine. Sometimes we need a kick in the crotch, and if it comes from a shady place but leads to good results, no worries. I just argue with this stuff because some people don't approach it like you do and instead assign it these magical Indian properties.

ETA: And because some of the more extreme practices can actually hurt you, as pointed out in this thread.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options

Two different studies were posted earlier in the thread, and (not surprisingly) have been complete ignored by the supporters.

Lest you incorrectly peg me as a supporter, I'll point out that bashing the bashers does not equal support of Ayurveda per se.

• margaretlb4
    edited August 2015
    Options

Nah, don't sweat it. You're fine. Sometimes we need a kick in the crotch, and if it comes from a shady place but leads to good results, no worries. I just argue with this stuff because some people don't approach it like you do and instead assign it these magical Indian properties.

ETA: And because some of the more extreme practices can actually hurt you, as pointed out in this thread.

Cool, but it's not a shady place, I don't think. I agree that people should use common sense. But I got psuedomembraneous intercolitis from western doctors overprescribing me antibiotics, so my *kitten* detector is pretty up in every direction, including some accepted science.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Lest you incorrectly peg me as a supporter, I'll point out that bashing the bashers does not equal support of Ayurveda per se.

I thought intentionally bashing other posters was against the TOS?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Cool, but it's not a shady place, I don't think. I agree that people should use common sense. But I got psuedomembraneous intercolitis from western doctors overprescribing me antibiotics, so my *kitten* detector is pretty up in every direction, including commonly accepted science.

If you read further up, someone posted a link to a list of people who have died or become seriously ill because of ayurvedic medication. So personally... I think it does come from a shady place. Like all businesses, they just want your money.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    So long as a balanced, nutritious diet is eaten, an Ayurvedic diet will not hurt you.

Tasteless? Have some kitchari: https://www.ayurveda.com/online_resource/kitchari_recipe.html
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Cool, but it's not a shady place, I don't think. I agree that people should use common sense. But I got psuedomembraneous intercolitis from western doctors overprescribing me antibiotics, so my *kitten* detector is pretty up in every direction, including some accepted science.

I don't know. I think anything, whether it be a way of eating, an alternative medical treatment, an exercise regimen, etc. is shady if it makes impractical and/or unrealistic claims. It's my opinion that ayurvedic practices meet that standard. Maybe it's not shady in the way you approached it, but I don't think you're the normal practitioner.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't know anything about Ayuruvedic weight loss, but one herb commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine is turmeric. It is a powerful cancer fighter (anti-tumural and antiangiogenesis) and an anti-inflammatory. I had stage three cancer six years ago and only did half the chemotherapy in part because of turmeric. (I buy organic turmeric in the natural food store and make my own capsules with black pepper. I take it daily.)
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »

Tasteless? Have some kitchari: https://www.ayurveda.com/online_resource/kitchari_recipe.html

Oh, I thought they were calling non-ayurvedic food bland, tasteless, and lukewarm. :lol:
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Readily dismissible - science believers are a merely cultists here on MFP

No one ever expects the CICO Cult Inquisition!
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I don't know anything about Ayuruvedic weight loss, but one herb commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine is turmeric. It is a powerful cancer fighter (anti-tumural and antiangiogenesis) and an anti-inflammatory. I had stage three cancer six years ago and only did half the chemotherapy in part because of turmeric.

bnghd.gif

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/turmeric-tasty-in-curry-questionable-as-medicine/
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Ayuruvedic weight loss, but one herb commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine is turmeric. It is a powerful cancer fighter (anti-tumural and antiangiogenesis) and an anti-inflammatory. I had stage three cancer six years ago and only did half the chemotherapy in part because of turmeric. (I buy organic turmeric in the natural food store and make my own capsules with black pepper. I take it daily.)

Oh dear...

*le sigh*
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I guess my digestion is a Prius in that I think it would be near impossible to jump start it.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Oh dear...

*le sigh*

Yep. When people ask "what's the harm?" or wonder why I argue about this bull****, this right here is the reason.