Keto--what are your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Like any diet, I think it depends on how you approach it. My meals today were as easy as it gets:
    -2 eggs, coffee with coconut cream and a protein powder
    -another coffee
    -leftover hamburger patty, a babybel cheese, a cucumber
    -spinach and feta chicken sausage and broccoli in cheese sauce
    -nuts and coconut for a snack

Thanks for that. You must have a very strong willpower to stick to no carbs. I dont know if I could be that strong but for health reasons I am trying to limit my carbs to the very minimum now. Wouldn't it cost more in food? Wheat is cheaper than meat or other proteins.

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @AlabasterVerve I envy your easy moves in and out of ketosis. They're awful for me. I think my keto cut-off is around 35g. I don't know, as I had WLS that causes malabsorption, so I don't know how many I'm getting. I could be getting them all, I could be getting 5g. I was happily below 20g, but that's now my minimum with my docs playing with my numbers.

I do have carb/sugar addictive behaviors, but I have a mental trick/game I can use that helps me get back down when I go over. I did that 2 weeks ago for my birthday and I don't think I'll do that again. It was a rough couple of days afterwards! I don't know if the addictive behavior makes in/out of ketosis worse and I guess in the end it doesn't matter. I have macro numbers, my mental trick, and a good support system. I got this! Feels good to say that too.

As with any diet, as I lose weight and am able to exercise more, I'm sure the ratios will change. It's a new learning experience every day! I really enjoy keto and I'll stay here even after my doctor is finished with me. I've been at it for 10 months now and it's only getting easier with time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How do people here know they are in ketosis? Can you feel the difference? Or testing for the presence of ketones? (Again, just curious.)
  • ki4eld
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How do people here know they are in ketosis? Can you feel the difference? Or testing for the presence of ketones? (Again, just curious.)

Most people test and some people can feel it. I can feel it when I'm out. I'm actually jittery, sweating, headache, some physical pain. It feels like the flu. The tests just confirm what my body tells me already. When I'm in, I feel great and have lots of energy. I don't feel that way when I'm out.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

In the beginning, I used a glucose/ketone meter and tested my blood using (really expensive) ketone strips out of curiosity. Now it's just knowing myself -- an energetic, slightly buzzed/high feeling and I know I'm in deep ketosis, if I'm feeling normal I know I'm producing ketones and I'm in light ketosis.

If my appetite is insatiable and I feel like eating and eating some more regardless of hunger I know I'm completely out of ketosis -- even if I haven't "cheated". I flirt with the upper range of what I can tolerate carb wise and too much fruit, nuts or something similar too many days in a row is all it takes.

@2Poufs You're doing amazing. <3 It's such a great feeling when the pieces of the puzzle start to come together. I wish you continued success.

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The only way to measure accurately costs $$ for a meter. Ketosis is a blood range value for ketones - human defined - and for me not so important as the effects of carb restriction which are easy and free to know.

Folks use the 20gr number to eat to because at that level most everyone is consistently in ketosis.

Even for those near but not in ketosis, the health benefits for metabolic issues is there - the body is making and using some ketones. This probably needs a lot more studies!

My net carbs are mostly between 15-50 and I honestly don't know about ketosis levels. I do know that even on calorie restriction, my energy levels and brain function are far more even and the horrible daily carb comas that I struggled to function through are gone.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

In the beginning, I used a glucose/ketone meter and tested my blood using (really expensive) ketone strips out of curiosity. Now it's just knowing myself -- an energetic, slightly buzzed/high feeling and I know I'm in deep ketosis, if I'm feeling normal I know I'm producing ketones and I'm in light ketosis.

If my appetite is insatiable and I feel like eating and eating some more regardless of hunger I know I'm completely out of ketosis -- even if I haven't "cheated". I flirt with the upper range of what I can tolerate carb wise and too much fruit, nuts or something similar too many days in a row is all it takes.

@2Poufs You're doing amazing. <3 It's such a great feeling when the pieces of the puzzle start to come together. I wish you continued success.

ooh, I forgot about THAT! Lack of 'eat food' thoughts is the single biggest benefit to my weight loss success. It's 2pm here and other than full cream in coffee this morning, I just started thinking about eating.

I'll shut up now!
  • ki4eld
    Options
    Yeah, the "not hungry" thing is quite a bonus. I did a protein shake at 1p and pre-logged lamb for dinner, but I'm still not hungry. Most days, I'm eating because not eating at all isn't an option. It's food. It's just that thing I have to do because science and doctors and stuff. And things.

6d851f39cecbb8747fee8a020a7f4d1ea801c47ef16dd975d78032d8666d3ba0.jpg
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    coco_bee wrote: »
    Thanks for that. You must have a very strong willpower to stick to no carbs. I dont know if I could be that strong but for health reasons I am trying to limit my carbs to the very minimum now. Wouldn't it cost more in food? Wheat is cheaper than meat or other proteins.

I can't eat wheat so it wasn't a big loss. To be honest, the idea of going low carb was much more daunting than actually doing it. I had a week or so where I felt a bit tired, and had a headache for a few days, but now I don't miss carbs at all so no willpower is really needed. It was much harder when I was still eating more carbs (starches and sugars).
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I test and I can feel it. There's a boost in energy and a mental clarity that I experience. At first I thought it was just a placebo effect but my husband has noticed the difference too... Nice but a bit scary too (that my previous diet was affecting me mentally).
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    Yeah, the "not hungry" thing is quite a bonus. I did a protein shake at 1p and pre-logged lamb for dinner, but I'm still not hungry. Most days, I'm eating because not eating at all isn't an option. It's food. It's just that thing I have to do because science and doctors and stuff. And things.

6d851f39cecbb8747fee8a020a7f4d1ea801c47ef16dd975d78032d8666d3ba0.jpg

LOL :D
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    dorje77 wrote: »
    This diet sounds soooooooo hard and not quick and convenient

If you mean "quick to empty adipocytes", it is the quicker diet I think. It is the only dietary approach that turns your body into a fat-burning machine (most part of enrgy will come from fat), forming ketones from fatty acids and using them instead of glucose (there remains cells that still need glucose, but all the muscolar works and up to 70% of brain energy can come from ketones).
    False. Calorie deficit empties adipocytes, regardless of macro ratio. The only reason people seem to think keto diets burn more fat is because there's a mental disconnect where they don't pay attention to the fact that they are consuming such a high level of fat, which the body digests before turning to fat stores. With a 2000 calorie TDEE (for example) eating 1500 calories worth of carbs or eating 1500 calories worth of fat would both result in exactly 500 calories of stored fat burned to make up the deficit. Honestly, the carbs might even burn a bit more, as TEF for carbs is between 10 and 15%, while TEF for fat is only 2-3%.

Nope. Not if you're insulin resistant to any degree.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Interesting, thanks to those who answered my question.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »

Most people test and some people can feel it. I can feel it when I'm out. I'm actually jittery, sweating, headache, some physical pain. It feels like the flu. The tests just confirm what my body tells me already. When I'm in, I feel great and have lots of energy. I don't feel that way when I'm out.

Sounds like withdrawal symptoms from your ketone addiction ;)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    This diet sounds soooooooo hard and not quick and convenient

I know how you feel. I felt that way too. After being on a very LCHF way of eating for about about year I have found it is easy, quick and convenient.

Again I tried this for pain management and in the first 30 days it worked very well and continues to do so. Of course getting instant gratification I would have kept doing if it had been hard, not quick or convenient.
  • coco_bee
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I can't eat wheat so it wasn't a big loss. To be honest, the idea of going low carb was much more daunting than actually doing it. I had a week or so where I felt a bit tired, and had a headache for a few days, but now I don't miss carbs at all so no willpower is really needed. It was much harder when I was still eating more carbs (starches and sugars).

Hey thanks again. I am now trying low carb and quite surprised at how energetic and lighter I feel and how full I can be on chicken salad for lunch, protein and fats (avocado) really does satisfy the hunger and before, when I ate too many carbs, mainly in the form of white bread and cakes, my appetite was insatiable. Couldnt stop eating and hence put on the weight. Ya never know, one day I might feel brave enough to try keto for a while :)
  • coco_bee
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Again I tried this for pain management and in the first 30 days it worked very well and continues to do so. Of course getting instant gratification I would have kept doing if it had been hard, not quick or convenient.

May I ask is that arthritic pain you speak of? and you are not getting that pain anymore since starting keto? That is amazing.

• chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    cajuntank wrote: »
    There is also this group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

Ketosis and low carb are two different diet protocols that involve the lowering of carbs (varied degrees) to create your caloric deficit (which is the reason for weight loss). You should be able to peruse through those groups to answer whatever questions you might have if you feel you need to choose this route of caloric deficit creation.

Good call. I've seen a number of the members of the first group posting about keto. Yours is most likely the better resource.

Yep, but evidently don't type as fast at @JodehFoster :)

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hey thanks again. I am now trying low carb and quite surprised at how energetic and lighter I feel and how full I can be on chicken salad for lunch, protein and fats (avocado) really does satisfy the hunger and before, when I ate too many carbs, mainly in the form of white bread and cakes, my appetite was insatiable. Couldnt stop eating and hence put on the weight. Ya never know, one day I might feel brave enough to try keto for a while :)

In my experience low carb - low fat is setting yourself up for failure.

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    May I ask is that arthritic pain you speak of? and you are not getting that pain anymore since starting keto? That is amazing.

I too follow a LCHF lifestyle. One thing I was not prepared for but which pleasantly surprised me was the reduction in pain in connection with knee pain and the pain I experience from carpal tunnel syndrome. After doing low carb for about a year now, my knee pain is all but gone although I do know that at least part of that pain was related to my weight. Every once in awhile I still get a twinge from my knees. before I started the low carb diet on a daily basis the pain from my carpal tunnel rated about an 8 on a scale of 1 - 10. now on a daily basis the pain I experience from carpal tunnel ranges anywhere from a 0.5 to maybe a 2 on a bad day. About a month and a half into low carb when I begin noticing the reduction in various aches and pains I spoke with my doctor because I thought it was all in my head and that I was imagining the pain relief, but she confirmed for me that one of the benefits of eating a low carb low sugar diet is a reduction in pain / inflammation in the body. She went on to further tell me that it has been known for a long time in the medical community that carbohydrates and sugars are both known to be aggrivators of inflammation in the body. Although I'm glad to know this now, I sure wish she would have told me that years ago! Lol