Bread?

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
does anyone on here avoid bread like the plague? I know some people who will refuse to eat bread because apparently it's the Devils food no matter wether it's white , brown or whole grain etc .. While others have said it doesn't matter as long as it fits your macros and calories. Just wondered what people's opinions are and if you avoid it then why? Sometimes I have some calories left and carbs when I've hit my protein and fat goal I normally reach for bread because it fills the remainder of my calories as oppose to 100grams of veg which is a small amount of carbs And doesn't fill my calories or fruit which is high in sugar

Replies

• Queen_Vanellope
    Queen_Vanellope Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding it only because it makes me seriously crave more bread. If I have to have some kind of grain to meet my goals I use brown rice, which is really filling.

The negative is that avoiding it annoys the hell out of your friends, lol.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Brandy_AM wrote: »
    I've been avoiding it only because it makes me seriously crave more bread. If I have to have some kind of grain to meet my goals I use brown rice, which is really filling.

The negative is that avoiding it annoys the hell out of your friends, lol.

I do eat it but I'm not sure if it's wise or not as you hear so many things about it lol sole say it's fine some say avoid it along with oats and rice
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Bread is just a major carb source.

Nearly a year ago I stopped eating foods containing sugars and/or grains to see if I could manage my arthritis pain by diet only instead of starting Enbrel injections for pain manage. In 30 days of eating <50 grams of carbs daily my pain was managed.

Now nearly a year later still avoiding foods that contain sugars/grains the pain is still well controlled.

For the last year my macro has been 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats. Because fats are so filling in my case I do not over eat the way I did when living mainly on carbs that always called for more carbs it seemed.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    How am I going to have a sammich if I don't have bread?!!
    Or some over easy eggs without toast?

No cravings here, just fit it into my daily goals.
  • Samm471
    Options

Nearly a year ago I stopped eating foods containing sugars and/or grains to see if I could manage my arthritis pain by diet only instead of starting Enbrel injections for pain manage. In 30 days of eating <50 grams of carbs daily my pain was managed.

Now nearly a year later still avoiding foods that contain sugars/grains the pain is still well controlled.

For the last year my macro has been 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats. Because fats are so filling in my case I do not over eat the way I did when living mainly on carbs that always called for more carbs it seemed.

Is that kind of like keto? It's good you've managed to control the pain :) it's what works best for you isn't it
  • Samm471
    Options
    How am I going to have a sammich if I don't have bread?!!
    Or some over easy eggs without toast?

No cravings here, just fit it into my daily goals.

Hahaha this made me LOL!!
  • Queen_Vanellope
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Like most of the people on this site will tell you, it only matters if you're hitting your goal or not. Whole grains are better than white, but bread isn't essential to a healthy diet. It's "bad" because it breaks down really quickly and raises your blood sugar really fast. Some people also say that gluten, the stuff that makes bread awesome, is bad, but that's up for debate.

Oats aren't that bad. I like to use them in cooking when a recipe calls for breadcrumbs - you can't really taste the difference and it's "healthier."
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    MMMM turkey with Dijon mustard, lettuce and tomato on 12 grain bread. Love my lunch time Sammy. Works for me as I'm not a big starch eater at dinner time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat bread if you like it. Up for a challenge? Name ONE food we've never been warned against!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's a populist book out there that blames wheat for our obesity/diabetes woes.
    http://www.wheatbelly.com/
    I don't buy it because the science is poor.

Why would oats and rice be bad too? When I had high blood sugar rice could spike my sugar like nobody's business so I controlled how much I ate and always ate it with protein. But I never cut it from my diet.

Oats are a great source of soluble fiber and there's some studies that show that consumption of oat fiber reduces cholesterol.

Variety is the spice of life.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Eat bread if you like it. Up for a challenge? Name ONE food we've never been warned against!

^This

Unless a doctor is specifically giving you a reason why you should avoid it, eat it if you like it (and plan for it in your macronutrient goals) and don't eat if you don't.

I adore fresh baked bread so going "keto" will never be on my option list unless I'm dragged to it kicking and screaming for medical reasons.

And I'll second what kommodevaran says about being warned against foods..there's probably an "expert" to nay say against everything you can potentially use as a food source.
  • Queen_Vanellope
    Options
    Name ONE food we've never been warned against!
    I personally can't wait to hear about the dangers of kale and quinoa we'll be hearing about next year. I'm tired of seeing that combination on every menu...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think bread is often an easy thing to cut when cutting calories. I eat bread, but I don't eat a lot of bread. Most of time I think it's a waste of calories and carbs. I'd usually rather have pasta or rice.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I avoid bread only because it helps me get in my veg better. For example instead of a BLT sandwich I'll have a BLT salad.
    That and I can't believe how many breads have added sugar! I know sugar is not the devil but I'd rather my sugar allowance was spent in something actually sweet.

However if I do eat it, it's not the end if the world.
  • Queen_Vanellope
    Options
    For the record, I love bread. Before I started getting serious about fitness, my favorite foods were bread in all of its various fried forms:
    Churros... French toast... Tortillas... jalapeno hushpuppies.............
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think bread is often an easy thing to cut when cutting calories. I eat bread, but I don't eat a lot of bread. Most of time I think it's a waste of calories and carbs. I'd usually rather have pasta or rice.

This is how I feel, except pasta, corn, potatoes, or sweet potatoes for me. That said, there are some sandwiches or some breads that are worth the extra calories.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

Is that kind of like keto? It's good you've managed to control the pain :) it's what works best for you isn't it

Yes I have been in nutritional ketosis almost full time after I cut the carbs to under 50 grams daily AND cut out eating over 70-100 grams of protein daily since Oct 2014. Up to 50% of protein can be converted to glucose (the reason carbs are not a required in our diets) and overdoing just steak can knock me out of ketosis.

I got on this diet just to try and cut my pain. I did NOT know about keto, MFP, etc. I had read cutting out foods containing sugars and/or grains had managed pain in others so I gave it a shot.

It is a lifetime keeper for me since it worked in just 30 days and nearly a year later still is working. :) I have lost another 30 pounds on keto but best of all after 6 months my 40 years of life defining IBS was cured and has not returned.

Older people like me have a very hard time getting off carbs which makes keto impossible. If I had not been facing an ugly early death I do not think I could have left carbs cold turkey. I tried tapering off carbs but failed every time.

After I broke the addiction (the first two weeks were hellish) it has been really easy because there are NO cravings for carbs period. While I hold an earned OD degree there are days that keto/LCHF/etc terms sound like magic but there is strong science behind how it works. Google is how I found it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i eat bread...i love sammiches.

some bread is going to have a better nutritional profile than others.

there's nothing wrong with bread...a lot of people avoid it because they low carb...others may avoid it because bread tends to be calorie dense and they'd simply like to spend those calories elsewhere.

if you like bread, enjoy your bread.
  • Queen_Vanellope
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    or fruit which is high in sugar

Don't worry so much about the sugar in fruit. The fiber slows the digestion process, preventing the increase in blood sugar, so it doesn't have the same effect as other sugars. On the other hand - fruit juice, which has all of its fiber removed, is like drinking soda. So if you are going to avoid anything, avoid sugary drinks. I think that's the one thing most people can agree on.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Bread, like sugar, is a little overrated.

For the calories it costs I prefer to eat other stuff.

Nothing wrong with bread, it just isn't as wholesome as it would like to make out.