Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    Who is Becky C?

That's Petunia. :) Newer member.

ETA: Having trouble remembering her full username... You'll find her in the BatCave. Picture of a giant dog in her display picture. ;)
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Who is Becky C?

I think you're referring to me if you're talking about the FitBit invite. ;)
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    petunia773 wrote: »
    Who is Becky C?

I accepted your request but was curious who it was lol
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    petunia773 wrote: »
    Who is Becky C?

Yes, thanks and you too @Susieq_1994
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I will be honest, I am having trouble remembering a lot of your names. I am terrible with names.

Me too!
  • jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Well, you all were busy over the weekend and just now I am getting a chance to really catch up. @ShibaEars so glad the bat was negative. Huge relief for you!! I don't really get migraines, but I have seen my sister go through them and can sympathize with those of you that do get them. I have been trying to figure out what I want to watch next, but I have been walking more and losing interest in TV and movies pretty much. Give me a good book.

Lee Ann! What are you reading now? I'm a book lover, ever in search of the next great story. :-)

What types of books do you enjoy?

I like fiction, mostly fantasy (magic makes me happy), literature, and detective type novels. But I really will read most anything. My favorite series is by Patrick Rothfuss and is called the Kingkiller Chronicles. It's meant to be a trilogy, but book 3 hasn't yet been written. The first book in the series is called The Name of the Wind. It's got interesting characters, magic, coming-of-age story, mystery, and a school of magic.

I loved Harry Potter. I like young adult fiction, too, and have been reading lots of that over the last year or 2. I love Louise Penny (Canadian author who writes a very, very good detective series featuring Chief Inspector Gamache. Beautifully written, compelling, complex characters, interesting plots). I love Jim Butcher (author of the Dresden Files - professional wizard/detective).

I read All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr earlier this year and will never forget the story or characters. It is amazing, heart-wrenching, beautiful.

What do you like to read? Do we have overlapping tastes?

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Well, you all were busy over the weekend and just now I am getting a chance to really catch up. @ShibaEars so glad the bat was negative. Huge relief for you!! I don't really get migraines, but I have seen my sister go through them and can sympathize with those of you that do get them. I have been trying to figure out what I want to watch next, but I have been walking more and losing interest in TV and movies pretty much. Give me a good book.

Lee Ann! What are you reading now? I'm a book lover, ever in search of the next great story. :-)

I like fiction, mostly fantasy (magic makes me happy), literature, and detective type novels. But I really will read most anything. My favorite series is by Patrick Rothfuss and is called the Kingkiller Chronicles. It's meant to be a trilogy, but book 3 hasn't yet been written. The first book in the series is called The Name of the Wind. It's got interesting characters, magic, coming-of-age story, mystery, and a school of magic.

I loved Harry Potter. I like young adult fiction, too, and have been reading lots of that over the last year or 2. I love Louise Penny (Canadian author who writes a very, very good detective series featuring Chief Inspector Gamache. Beautifully written, compelling, complex characters, interesting plots). I love Jim Butcher (author of the Dresden Files - professional wizard/detective).

I read All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr earlier this year and will never forget the story or characters. It is amazing, heart-wrenching, beautiful.

Have you read The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher? Magical!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good with names once I hear them a few times!
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks all for your kind words. It's frustrating because even if I KNOW I'm not the cause of someone's anger, I am not fully able to convince myself. Just like with any anxiety I suppose :tongue:
    Anyone watch Wayward Pines? I am just watching the first episode now.....
    I just finished watching it with my boyfriend and we both agreed that it was a huge letdown. I especially hated the ending. You might think otherwise, though. Right now I'm watching True Detective and it is brilliantly acted!

@ShibaEars I'm happy to hear about the rabie-less bat! @raelynnsmama52512 Good news on all fronts! Even if your baby growing up is bittersweet... but she'll always be your baby deep down :blush:

The 1st season, right? Let me know when you're finished watching it. The acting was amazing!

ETA: Yay about the no-rabies news. You must be so relieved!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options

Hope I don't let anyone down, but I love Stephen King. Some of his more recent books I have enjoyed alot. Dr. Sleep is a sequel to The Shining. It was a good one. Then he has tied story lines across a couple of new books with Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers. I finally got to read 11/22/63. It was an interesting spin on time travel and how changing things can possibly affect the future. Also, a guilty pleasure of mine, I like young adult ficiton and have been reading the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I am going to write down some of the books you guys are reading. Most of it for me is pure escape.
  • jthurman3
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

Have you read The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher? Magical!

Yes! That's one of my very favorite ongoing series. I snap up every new book as soon as it's released. :)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

Hope I don't let anyone down, but I love Stephen King. Some of his more recent books I have enjoyed alot. Dr. Sleep is a sequel to The Shining. It was a good one. Then he has tied story lines across a couple of new books with Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers. I finally got to read 11/22/63. It was an interesting spin on time travel and how changing things can possibly affect the future. Also, a guilty pleasure of mine, I like young adult ficiton and have been reading the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I am going to write down some of the books you guys are reading. Most of it for me is pure escape.

Love Stephen King. Love. He is a master at character development, even though a lot of his endings suck. LOL I adore his short stories for the most part, and he's got a new collection coming out in November! *squee*
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your kind words. It's frustrating because even if I KNOW I'm not the cause of someone's anger, I am not fully able to convince myself. Just like with any anxiety I suppose :tongue:
    Anyone watch Wayward Pines? I am just watching the first episode now.....
    I just finished watching it with my boyfriend and we both agreed that it was a huge letdown. I especially hated the ending. You might think otherwise, though. Right now I'm watching True Detective and it is brilliantly acted!

@ShibaEars I'm happy to hear about the rabie-less bat! @raelynnsmama52512 Good news on all fronts! Even if your baby growing up is bittersweet... but she'll always be your baby deep down :blush:

Oh no!! I watched the first season of True Detective and was NOT impressed.......
    May I ask, can you tell me what you did not like about it, without spoilers, or no?
    Maybe we just have different tastes :tongue: I liked Wayward Pines for a while and thought it had interesting ideas.... but I didn't particularly like any of the characters and the ending was by far the worst part. I think more than anything I was dissatisfied :lol: Plenty of people do love the show, though. If you continue watching it I want to know what you think!

Why didn't you like True Detective? I think I'm six episodes in.
    In general, I found it drawn out and boring. I stuck with it because of the reviews and thought for sure it would pay off in the end.....it did not. I cannot say why until you are finished though. Is this season one you are watching? I never bothered with season two.

Such a good decision. I watched and I will never get that time back...
  • jthurman3
    Options

I like lots of Stephen King's books/stories. His Dark Tower series was great, but my favorite is The Stand. I also really enjoyed some of his short stories.

I've read the Cassandra Clare Mortal Instruments series, too! But I MUCH preferred Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone series. The heroine of this series is a young girl who was smarter, more talented, and just so much easier for me to like than Clare's heroine (good grief, she did dumb things! heh).
  • jthurman3
    Options

Love Stephen King. Love. He is a master at character development, even though a lot of his endings suck. LOL I adore his short stories for the most part, and he's got a new collection coming out in November! *squee*

He does??? SWEET! I like his short stories very much! He's a master of irony. I appreciate that very much. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorites of his short stories.
  • bkhamill
    Options

I like fiction, historical fiction, some non fiction if it is a mystery (nothing too serious or dry). The most recent good read for me was What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

The SyFy series Haven is based on Stephen King's The Colorado Kid. As much as I love the tv show, I should read the book.
  • bkhamill
    Options

I just realized, I am about to read this one for my book club this month... I am hearing good things about it.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

If you like magic/fantasy, I highly recommend the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. Also, The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan and the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. Some of my most favorite books EVER. The Black Magician is a darker one, meant for older readers, but still kid-friendly in the language/graphic descriptions (basically the only kind of book I'll read).

I also recommend the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, along with The Kane Chronicles and The Heroes of Olympus, all by the same author. Not about magic, per say, but about Greek and Egyptian mythology, which involves plenty of magic in it, kind of. More like "godly power", I guess. ;)
  • jthurman3
    Options

If you like magic/fantasy, I highly recommend the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. Also, The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan and the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. Some of my most favorite books EVER. The Black Magician is a darker one, meant for older readers, but still kid-friendly in the language/graphic descriptions (basically the only kind of book I'll read).

I also recommend the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, along with The Kane Chronicles and The Heroes of Olympus, all by the same author. Not about magic, per say, but about Greek and Egyptian mythology, which involves plenty of magic in it, kind of. More like "godly power", I guess. ;)

Thanks, @Susieq_1994 ! I've read the Rick Riordan series (the Heroes of Olympus), but haven't read the Kane Chronicles. I will check it out!

I started reading the Fablehaven series after my supervisor recommended it. I read the first one and liked it ok (Seth drives me NUTS - he's incapable of doing what he's told, I think? heh..). But then my nephew (who lives with us) asked about it and he absconded with the whole series. He's almost done with the last book, so I will get them back from him. :-)

I've put The Black Magician Trilogy and the Septimus Heap series on my list!! Yay! Thank you!