WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Becca - boy, you just fall into bargains for clothes!!!

Welcome everyone new! You join by posting. Come back often

Sylvia - thanks for the smile.

Becca - so true, so true

susan - I'm constantly amazed how horrible I feel when I eat lots of bad stuff and how I crave decent things

pip - cool nails. They will match your bike real nice. And the ring ain't so bad, either

Annie/PA - what part of PA are you in? We used to live in PA

Mary from MN - I buy grapes and then put them in the freezer after I take them off the stems. Do you know that this summer I haven't even once bought ice cream for me? I did get some for Vince, but I actually prefer the grapes. Now I did get an ice cream cake for tomorrow, but that's the first ice cream this summer that I bought for myself

pip - I don't know if I could control myself to just one of those bars. They look so yummy

mirradarrpwp - sounds like we're in the same boat. Log in here for lots of support because we're all going thru this. Gayle had great advice.

Cheri - Hungry Girl brownies are a box of cake mix and a can of pumpkin. That's IT. I put the items into MFP's recipe builder and it came out to 111 (or thereabouts I forget exactly) calories per "brownie". And for a brownie they are quite large.

Michele in NC
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Love the picture Terri.

We should post what we do when uncontrollable hunger strikes! I usually try to ignore it then eat a pickle but I haven't got any. My DH offered to go to the store if it got bad.

Mary from Minnesota

Good idea, I find my worst time is at night and sometimes I do just go to bed but it needs to be at least 11:00. On the other hand, sometimes I find myself wanting to wait until after Jack goes to bed so I can eat. Then I try to make myself go to bed when he does. It doesn't always work. I usually will eat a protein bar then, which is not totally horrible, but it will most times put me over my calories for the day. I never eat back earned calories and I have my limit sat at 1200. I'm thinking of upping it to see if that helps.

Janetr OKC

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,676 Member
    Options
    nitey nite peeps
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Welcome new ladies!

Sylvia ... Dang scales!

Today was much better for staying within my calories ... No pantry raiding! Yay! Made a conscious effort to meet my macros ... After increasing my protein to 35% of calories instead of MFPs 20%. While I didn't quite make it, I was much closer and much more satisfied.

A farmer friend gave me a half bushel of tomatoes... Kept some aside for just plain eating and then canned the rest. So good! Slow, slow roasted two chickens ... Had some for dinner and will use the rest through the week or package and freeze for later.

Younger son is enjoying his new found freedom in driving himself around ... I'm trying not to worry myself sick! I think I did pretty good today until I watched him completely run over a driveway marker and then miss the ditch by inches as he was backing out. Sheesh!

Husband is with older son at a sleep study. These places don't have the staff to deal with disabled adults so we go with him. While he's been on a bipap for years, we recently discovered his central nervous apneas are increasing. Not sure if this has been the cause or the result of his depression/psychosis ... We will see. We've weaned him off all meds, so they should get a true reading tonight if he ever gets into REM. hoping for some useable information.

That's it! Off to bed!

Beth

• kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

Just a quick note. Caught up on the posts and still need to post my goals for Sept. Welcome to the new ladies. So sorry to read about those dealing with medical issues for themselves or their family members.

Since I last posted, our older (12 years old) furbaby was diagnosed with a tumor which is probably cancer. Lots of talking about whether to do surgery or not. Also, her back legs are starting to fail so she needs help getting up and down stairs. She sleeps with us at night so needs to get up 15 stairs. One issues is she has to go out much more often, about every 1 1/2 hours, so I've been carrying her up and down the stairs. She also wears doggy diapers as she sometimes has trouble with 'leakage' while sleeping. Well, she weighs about 40 pounds and after a couple of weeks of carrying her, I pulled my back and can't do it. When one of our other dogs was having trouble on the stairs we found using a doggy life jacket worked well as there is a handle on the top. We started using this on her and she is getting used to it but right now I can't hold her while going down. This means waking my DH during the night so he can get her down. He is usually a very deep sleeper but being great about doing this. Just really glad I retired as there is no way I could do this and still go to work daily. Hard to watch her getting older.

Internet is acting up so going to sign off before I lose this.

Good night,
    Tina in MD

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Thankfully, I can control myself to one serving per day if it worked into my calorie intake for the day

I'm sure you can Pip, you are so disciplined. I am absolutely addicted to food and just realize now that some things I just cannot have in the house at all. :(

Janetr OKC
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    How do I make this one of "my groups" so I can find it easier? I am 60 yrs old. I am a repeater, was here in 2010-2012. At that time I made friends with 'Buzz' and Sandy who were in this group at that time. Barbie cat was also here then. I am not tech savy and do not want to lose this group. When I get back I will fill you all in on my past few yrs. and where I am at currently. :-)

Mae in Maine
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Hi, I'm having a really difficult time with motivation this go round with dietting. I lost 150 lbs about 8 years ago and kept it off till I hit menopause. In the last 2 years I've gained 30 lbs back and it's so depressing. I wasn't at my goal weight but felt much better about myself then. I'm so mad that I let this happen. Anyone else having this issue?

Probably the majority of us have been in the same boat. I tell everyone I've lost 1500# in my life time. Almost two years ago now, I lost 125# and am determined to keep it off. I was up 15-17# and decided no way, I am not going to do this again. At the advice of my nutritionist I joined MFP and starting logging food daily, added daily exercise and took the additional pounds back off. I never did reach the goal I thot would be ideal, my doc says I'm just fine (I'm 65). I've decided for now to work on maintaining and maybe sometime try again to lose another 10-15. Hang in there, log your food intake daily, up the exercise, make small attainable goals and go for it. You can do this. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    DJ/Michelle DJ wrote - "Michele, oh my dear I did have to laugh at you when talking about sizes. You are such a tiny thing that you don’t even realize a 10 or 12 is on the small side. Especially to lots of us that started out in Women’s sizes. I will be thrilled if I ever get down to a 10 or 12 but am very happy right now to be down to a 14. Still giggling here."
    LOL you cracked me up DJ. Oh yes, compared to a size 22-24 a size 12-14 sounds heavenly. Isn't it wonderful that we can celebrate with the ladies rejoicing in getting down to an 18 and with those ladies looking for a size 6-8? It's all relative, but it is the same struggle and we can relate. No judging :)

Has anyone heard from Janet in New Orleans? I haven't seen a post from her in quite a while and I sure miss her.

Janetr OKC

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Well I have been over busy and under committed, although I have done pretty good with my eating. My business has exploded with business – so I have done little but work and sleep. I will scan a bit and respond a bit, know I am holding you all in my thoughts, wishing you love, peace, safety and caring.

Becca – I saw the pic of you and hubby, you in your new dress – wow! You look great. Locked in the garden! Oh my!!!! I am with you an $8 suit is just fine no matter what color it is, suits are so darn pricy! But the best part is the size – you are down 4 sizes!!!!!

Joyce – I read the “mad” post – I am so sad to hear that things got so bad. – read the next post, so glad the news is a bit better, and SO impressed that you were able to share with your nephew the acceptance and understanding of owning a good mad, and then moving on. Barbie said it for all of us!!! Be as needy as you need to be ! You are LOVED and valued.

Barbie – thank you so much for keeping us going! Even though I was away, it gave me a sense of peace to know that you and the other ladies were here.

Michelle from WA welcome! I love my fitbit…

Margaret – (((hugs)))

Sharon – glad you got such a nice NSV with the pants, and glad DH was nice

Gloria – taking care of our sleep and have a regular schedule and enough time for sleep each day is good for all of us.

Penny – great NSV – fit lady!!

Terri - your “night time” snack was your NSV!

VJay , Gorman12, Nikki, Annie, susan – welcome
    Nikki – you may not be doing anything wrong, be careful not to eat too little, and with not so much to lose it does take time…

Pip – this surgery will be a doozie! Glad you will follow the doctor’s advice/orders. I am glad you have a bit to get your brain around the idea of being sidelined a bit. You will do fine I am sure, you are strong mentally and physically. 3 Cheers for Kirby’s sister.

Alison – so glad that things with you and Tom seem to be in a quiet time…

Sylvia – I think Winnie the Poo might have had help exploding

Janet – sorry to hear about MD – losing your sight is a scary thought

Mindy – Shoes! Good shoes with good support will help as will stretching.

Polly welcome – back! I am sorry to hear about your son – hope all turns out well.

September Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles
    Log everyday –
    Twice a week do floor exercises
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 –
    W2
    W3 –
    W4 –

August Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles MADE 178 –not bad
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19 PITIFUL
    Log everyday – SEMI-PITIFUL
    Eat mindfully- occasionally
    Weekly fun things – SUCCESS!!!
    W1 – Visiting with niece Emily - a trip to SF
    W2 – BFF came for 2 days and a dinner party
    W3 – went to a banjo band concert – a first for me
    W4 – Dinner out with friends, hiked with my hiking group
    Kim from N. California

well only to page 7 but out of time......
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mae in Maine - At the top of the page on the left hand side is the name of the group WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015 - across the page from that, on the right hand side, is a little gray star. Click that star and it will turn yellow. That will make the group appear as one of your "favorites". Glad you are back. :)

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    @skrace We aren't a fussy bunch, just a place to vent, be accountable, and typing your journey daily is all you need to do. No joining neccessary. I however had to give a urine sample, a long background check, and swab my inner cheek for some reason....but that was just me. I did get a clean bill of health from @pipcd34 ...phew.

Becca
    and no I don't partake in the funny little green leaves that are legal in Oregon presently..... lol

ROFLMAO

Pip - great nails! Are the pretzels soft? They both look yummy! WoW that box of Pumpkin Bars is almost as tall as that person! I want one like that!!!

DJ - it was a long night but brushing my teeth really helped. I'm okay with the hunger pains too. The problem was I wasn't hungry I just wanted to eat eat eat like that little emoli!

Michele- wow! The grapes must work! Summer is almost over and no ice cream! I bought a Hugh container of grapes today at Costco so I will freeze a bunch for emergencies. Thanks for the idea.

Tina - I'm sorry to hear about your furbaby. That is a tough decision. Carrying 40 lbs would be very difficult up and down stairs. How about a plastic sled? Pulling up and lowering down would be easy.
    maeadair wrote: »
    How do I make this one of "my groups" so I can find it easier? I am 60 yrs old. I am a repeater, was here in 2010-2012. At that time I made friends with 'Buzz' and Sandy who were in this group at that time. Barbie cat was also here then. I am not tech savy and do not want to lose this group. When I get back I will fill you all in on my past few yrs. and where I am at currently. :-)

Mae in Maine

Welcome back. There is a small star at the top of the thread click on it and it turns yellow and is bookmarked for you.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    On page 13. Trying to keep up.

Lisa - You made me laugh but I'm pretty sure Wonder Woman doesn't smoke dope. Lol

Heather - The clothes sound darling. Maybe a photo will be in order.

DJ - Lucky you! No more plus sizes.

Barbie - Glad your hip feels better. Please don't overdo it.

Pip - It must be bad for you to complain. When is your sugery booked for ?

Exciting day - We paid off our mortgage. Yes, after 18 long years , the house if finally Ours. Ours and only ours.

Exhausted but happy
    -Sharon

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Exciting day - We paid off our mortgage. Yes, after 18 long years , the house if finally Ours. Ours and only ours.
    Exhausted but happy
    -Sharon

Yeah! That is very exciting! Not a lot of people do that anymore. Congratulations! Celebration time!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sharon - MANY congratulations on the mortgage! What a great feeling. :drinker: One of my early childhood memories is going to visit my grandfather and him opening the front door and telling us he had paid off the mortgage. I had never seen him so happy! ! ! ! ! !

Welcome new people! :flowerforyou:

One of those pounds disappeared overnight, but I think the last one is real FAT. :cry: That's a week's hard dieting. Haven't had to do that for a while. I've been at maintenance for 20 months now. On here for over 3 years.
    The secret for me is really doing the maths, but that involves 600 calories a day exercise as I LOVE to eat. Did I say I love to eat? :laugh: I love good food, but it's still possible to eat too much good food. I also enjoy an alcoholic drink, so the exercise is essential to keep my weight from creeping up. I log every day and eat back my calories.
    Tomorrow I won't have time for a full exercise routine, so I will do my rowing and the bit of walking in London, but I will not come out under on the day. We are going up on the train to look after the grandchildren and will have to set the alarm to catch an earlier train than usual. The next day is yoga, which doesn't burn many calories, so I will make up the difference on our machines. I really, really want to be at target for DH's party in October. Just from a confidence point of view. :)

Kim - Glad you could pop back in! <3

Love to all. Heather UK

PS - these are the clothes I bought for my 2 yr old granddaughter's birthday. The jacket comes from the baby section, but as she is OBSESSED with rabbits (she has a rabbit comforter) she pointed it out when we were looking at the catalogue together. Pink is also her favourite. ;)

7jnbyxs43v4x.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    Morning dear friends ..I finally got to sleep probably after 11 ,we sleep on a screened porch and you can hear the ocean waves at night... There are 5 beds on this porch,Sean and Jean sleep on one end I sleep on the other...Sean was a motor mouth last night,his biological brother came up with his 2 teenage daughters,they didn't get in until late.and an owl woke me up at 5:30..not complaining at all.got dressed walked to the beach and walked a bit and watched the sun come up.
    That beach is my happy place..yesterday here at the house was not good.. My brother did nothing but bit$h at all of us all day long especially dad.my brother is a control freak and all he did was complain that I only come up to have fun ,I don't pay taxes I don't help..and my almost 87 yr old dad was out hanging shingles on the side of the house trying to help our andSean us out there yelling at him.I went off on Sean last night, I said let him do what he wants to do with the shingles, leave him be..if you don't like it redo when he isn't around.NO MORE YELLING or I pack dad and myself and go home....
    Had a breakthrough with Tom ,sometimes when your away it changes the dynamic doesn't it? I have put the situation in Gods hands and won't stress about it..
    I have even trained him on how to react to his dad.sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks ....
    If I ever win a good chunk of change I want to buy a little place up here...
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Allie - sleeping on a screened porch, hearing the waves, sounds amazing. Sorry that Sean's being a goober--you could use a few goober-free days.

Heather - that jacket is seriously cute ... and the T-shirt's sweet as can be.

Sharon - SO pleased for you on the payoff on the mortgage! We have yet to do that, we've moved so much, but hope to have a similar joy in the next few years. And on the topic of Wonder Woman--why does her plane have to be invisible, anyway? I'm thinking she was smoking SOMEthing. :smiley:

Mary from MN - I split a protein bar in half, so it's about a hundred calories, and eat half of it when I get up every morning at 2:30. I wander back to bed satisfied, not hungry anymore... not too much damage done, as it would be if I opened up a package and ate until I was satisfied.

Beth - Our son is going to be 22 next month, and he has yet to get a driver's license. He and his wife don't even own a vehicle yet. They just depend on friends when they need to go somewhere off the base. Our daughter, on the other hand, was driving at 15, both driving cars and driving us crazy. She's now 25 and a much better driver than me, especially when she has those babies in the car!

Sort of taking tomorrow off, brought home some "homework," to get this Excel system built for combining the inventory and the menu from the restaurant to get a per-plate cost. One of my favorite things to do is to go look at similar ways of going about something, cherry pick the best ideas and combine them into something that's maintainable, usable, and as easy as it can humanly be. Utterly impossible to do at work in a busy restaurant, with the office door flung open every five minutes.

The DH and I bought bikes yesterday - just a couple of Wal-mart ones. His idea, not mine, which makes me very happy. I do not pressure him to exercise, his job is very physical, he's exhausted at night, and my preference is always to exercise in the morning, if I can, anyway. We've never quite found anything where we could exercise together, other than in a gym in town when we lived there. But, we got out on the bikes yesterday and just did a mile together (it was 96 degrees out), and I think they can definitely be something we can do together. He's got some work to do on them--they were put together by someone who did not know what he was doing, and this is where being married to a mechanic comes in very handy. :wink:

Have a great rest of your three-day weekend to our Americans, welcome to everyone who's new. Hope all's well with those who are having a harder time of it.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of maybe taking a cruise...maybe on my own sometime next year..will sit and think on that for awhile :) .
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Tina, so sorry to hear about your dog. Those decisions are so hard to make. I had a tumor removed from the breast of a female Siamese I had, but it came back and she passed on anyway. So when her sister developed one, I just let nature take its course since the surgery was traumatic to her sister. I also learned that female Siamese are prone to breast cancer- who knew. Now I have a cat who is struggling with her breathing, probably cancer, and will soon have to make the hard decision that she is suffering and it is time to let her go. I still cry about animals I lost years ago. They are such a part of our heart and lives.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,973 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

With my back hurting, Jake has been walking the dogs so I've had to wake him in the morning to walk them. I lie in bed until later than my usual wake-up time so he can sleep later. I love my usual routine and it has been a struggle to be comfortable with this change. In the great scheme of things, my problems are luxury problems.

Allison
    , you seem to have more than your share of toxic people in your life. I applaud your idea of looking into a vacation without them.

Tina in MD
    , I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I send you hugs at this trying time. How fortunate you are to have such an obliging husband.

Kim, how great that your business has exploded. I assume that means some more income for you.

Sharon, congrats on paying off your mortgage. I remember that when my parents did that, they had a mortgage burning party to celebrate.

Mae, it's good to see you again. I hope you come back often.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future