WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    well good late morning ladies~
    got home all in one piece and took dad home with me, I love my father dearly and since he is a widower and my son is not a talker.so he has no one to talk to. he talked for 2 1/2 hrs straight all the way home... my ears are tired..
    got to much sun yesterday so now have a headache...came home amd did the riding mower Tom did the push mower..
    he is telling me any medical stuff I need to get done we need to get done as his insurance is going to an HSA so we will be paying for everything... he thinks he has a hernia and is planning on getting a colonoscopy..
    send dad home with a container of peach ice cream and fresh blueberries....
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Heather, along with "stay in the moment", another thing I learned from a wise friend was "if you're going to make up a story, make up one with a happy ending"....hope all is well with your DDIL

Beth, my hubby is occasionally sharp with me when he is in pain or worried and then remorseful the next day or at least nicer.....I have embraced the happiness commandment of "don't take things personally" and it has served me well and helped me not lose sleep over someone else's bad behaviour.

Katla, whenever I see a disabled or wrecked vehicle while traveling, I always pat my vehicle on the dashboard and say to it "Thank you for keeping us safe"

Mary and Gayle, how awesome that you two are getting together.

DJ, a woman who posted on this thread awhile back shared a "Butt and Gut" routine that her daughter used after hip surgery that was very effective. It's probably not as much fun as Michele's video workout.

Pelvic lifts -
    Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor, arms at your side palms down. Lift your pelvis up in the air as high as it will go, hold up to 5 seconds and lower. Do this 10 times, when it gets easy add in another set of 10, then up to 2 sets of 10 for 30 total. This never goes above 30.

Abdominal curls -
    Same position as above except your arms are bent so that your hands are touching your ears. Curl up getting your shoulders off the ground. Whatever you get when you curl up is fine. Don't use your momentum to swing up. It is just your shoulders and head that curl up. Again, start with 10, get up to 30, but don't go over 30.

Marching -
    Same position as Pelvic Lifts. Lift one leg at a time so that your calf is parallel with the floor. 10 lifts each leg. When you get to where 30 repetitions are easy, start extending your leg, pulling it back and putting it down. This also never gets over 30 at the higher level.

Side planks -
    Lie on your side, legs bent at knee, keeping a straight line with your body. You are up on your elbow. Upper hand on your hip. Lift your hip off the ground as high as you can and hold up to 5 seconds. Lower down. Start with 5 on each side. As it gets easier add in more repetitions until you get to 30 each side.

I walked Sasha for almost an hour this morning and feel fine so that is good news for my recovery.....but I won't overdo it.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Stat for the day-
    38min 89r 108w 16.6mi 11-15g
    390cal total
    I've been trying to figure out what all this means. I'm stumped on some of it :)

spin bike for 38minutes.
    average revolutions per minute was 89 (ar) how fast my feet were pedaling
    average watts per minute was 108 (aw) how much power i was putting into my pedal stroke, think of a light bulb
    16.6 was the miles
    11-15 was the gears the lowest being 11 highest being 15. 15 is like a steep hill . gears on bike are 1-24

390 are the calories i burned
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Happy Labor Day to you all!
    I'm going to Mama's and watch the Cardinals game with her--she never misses a game. :) Wish the weather would turn cooler and get into Fall; it seems we go straight from Summer into cold rain around Thanksgiving. The colors are glorious up in the Ozarks, but they don't seem to last more than a week or so. I wish I had something interesting or funny to report, but I honestly can't think of anything at the moment. My challenge wil be to take Katla'ssuggestion and learn to toggle between two things. I'm not very good at tech stuff. Hope I can find the thread tomorrow! <3
    Janie
    Conway, Ark
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear... I was hit with a sudden stomach bug Saturday morning. The scale says I lost 4 pounds over the weekend, but I'm going to say that's not a true loss and postpone a weigh-in until eating is stable again. Right now I'm on the "whatever you can keep down" diet, and have just discovered the cucumber Gatorade is disgusting beyond belief. Of course, I feel that way about most Gatorade, but the cucumber variety is especially loathsome.

-Yvonne in TX
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peeps- brought the airstream home, helped kirby give her a bath. gonna go workout for a bit.

type to ya later.

oh, the shooting pains haven't stopped. going to ask the doc if he can give me a shot to kill the nerves and see how long it will last if he does. i probably won't be able to stand while i'm riding up those hills., that will be fun

type to ya later
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Had sleepy husband again today so doctors are asking our family doctor to back off on the dose of the pill to ncrease appetite. He is ,inking the bacon he ordered for breakfast. He didn't like the bacon at first but he was on a cardiac diet. But I reminded him that this is real bacon. So still not eating. We are going to Arby''s for lunch so we will see what we can ply him with that food.
  • as5811
    as5811 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    miriamwithcats - Aww, that's too bad about your cats. We have an old cat (21 yo), we got as a kitten. She out-lived her sister. She has no major problems. She doesn't groom herself as much & won't let us do much. The vet says she's the oldest cat she has right now.

Elizabeth - I took hrt for 3 years, kept getting very tender breasts after awhile. Doctor kept switching perscriptions - finally said enough. Had 2 friends develop breast cancer related to hrt. Family doc suggested Vit D3 & calcium (developed a calcium deficiency). Still get night sweats - cooler night shirts a plus. Exercise helps me, too.

Daughter headed back to her home. House is quiet now. DH will be on edge till he knows she got there okay.

Now back to my goals - a new week.

Annie
    PA

• Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    B)
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had my 10,000 steps in before noon today! I did the couch to 10K program this morning, then we walked around the flea market. It was so hot! 91 degrees.
    I have 4 questions for you ladies
    1. Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of a big belly?
    2. Does anyone use nordic walking poles?
    3. Does anyone use a Trikke?
    4. Does anyone do hula-hooping for fitness?
    Thanks.
    Maryann in Michigan
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Cathe Ultimate Cardio Drill Max DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to see if I can do a body pump DVD that I downloaded. If not, I'll do a DVD that I have that uses the barbell.

After exercising made chocolate chip cookies to have for when Denise and Pete get here, a chocolate tofu pie for tomorrow for Rummikub, then made Denise a chocolate cream cheese pound cake to take home and now I'm making some confetti cake batter cookies for her to take home. I'll make a batch for Jess to take home and then another batch to just have. Since we don't have bowling today or ceramics, as you can see, I'm doing lots of baking. Update: yea, I only have to make two batches of the cake batter cookies. Looks like I'll have enough for Jess, the people at the Y, the people where I take the extremepump class, and maybe even extras to give to Lynette. None for me -- yea!!! That's the goal

relater - how I wish they'd at least alphabetize the meal tab. There are foods that I have in there as a meal. A good diet has variety. Well, by the time I get back to eating a certain food, it's gone from my "recent" list. Then I have to go back to the database, find that one that matches my nutritionals, and log it. What a pain. If they'd at least alphabetize that list, I could go there and have the food to log. Good luck at your appt. Soon you'll be walking to and from work!

I just had a batch of cookies and forgot to turn the timer on, so they got overly brown. I just threw them away.

katla - I, too, am so thankful for the practical advice I get here. For others who have BTDT. It's so so helpful. In a way I'm glad that Jess will be here, too. Because, and I know this is morbid, but if something God-forbid happens, I know she'd be speeding to get down here, worrying all the while. I prefer to think positive that nothing will happen but I do need to be mentally prepared. If she were speeding like a banshee out of H*** to get here, I'd be so worried that she'd get in an accident. That's not what I'd need -- more worry. So even tho it'll be extra work for me, I'm glad she'll be here.

Heather - in a way it was a blessing in disguise that you were on your way to dil's. How wonderful of you to take care of the kiddos

DJ - I was telling Vince last night that I feel we've done our part. We let them stay here, I had them over for dinner. Seems they're doing OK. Evidentally, his mother (not one of my most favorite people) will be moving down here in a few weeks. Seems she had her hubby are divorcing. She's going to be living a few trailers away from them. You know, I think I mentioned here that I'd bought this broom really more to be nice than anything else. I don't need another broom. I was going to offer it to Amanda but after being so late I decided that I'd donate it to the charity of the quarter for Newcomers. It's this place where ex-cons go to get a start on life after prison so I know they need things to start their new apts/lives

Mary from MN - be sure to take pics, so glad you gals are getting together

Yvonne - I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. I've never heard of cucumber gatorade.

mparker - oh, I'm going to be on the lookout for any and all suggestions about getting rid of the belly.

Michele in NC who is going in the pool in a few
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I had my 10,000 steps in before noon today! I did the couch to 10K program this morning, then we walked around the flea market. It was so hot! 91 degrees.
    I have 4 questions for you ladies
    1. Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of a big belly?
    2. Does anyone use nordic walking poles?
    3. Does anyone use a Trikke?
    4. Does anyone do hula-hooping for fitness?
    Thanks.
    Maryann in Michigan

Weight lifting gets rid of a big belly. Google Stronglifts5x5.com it works really well. Idid an hour of hula hooping last winter along with 2-3 hours of other aerobic exercise and lost but now no aerobics and really lost inches and pant sizes.

Mary from Minnesota
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    New goal to keep me working at this: in one week i meet my new famiy doctor for a full physical, havent had one in sooo long.
    i want to be off the b.p. medicine for good! Also, i am sure that i will get a boatload of blood tests and i can get an accurate read on cholestrol, etc.
    I am determined to embrace feeling better- i am worth it.
    Thanks everyone, i am very motivated by this community!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Oops, karen from ny just wrote that entry!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Heather – a couple months ago you wrote about some alternative to mashed potato that sounded great. I wanted to try it, but being in the US I couldn't get decent celeriac. Now I've got some, but I've forgotten what other vegetable you mixed with it.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are fish days at my grocery and I almost always buy some. I'm hoping to serve something new and different with whatever kind of fish I get tomorrow.

Maryann – I sometimes use poles to help myself slow down when I'm supposed to walk but would really rather run. And of course they're great for any mountaineering. If you use them right, you'll probably have sore shoulders in the beginning.

/Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I have been reading your posts and you are a truly inspirational bunch! I would love to join your group. My name is Cat I am 53 and 4"11. I started at 150 lbs and am now at 110. I am from San Diego.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stat for the day:
    spin - 40min, 87ar, 120aw, 11-16g, 17.2mi
    414cal
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Margaret - will be driving alone or is DH going with you? When do your leave? Be safe.

Mary in MN - I sure wish we would get some rain. They are predicting some rain for late Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. I sure hope we get it. In the meantime it has been so hot and humid here you don't want to even stick your nose out the door. Have a nice time Weds. with the ladies. We are leaving Thursday morning to go to SE Missouri to see Mama Smith.

Barbie - I'm glad to hear you were able to walk the dog for that long without pain. Do continue to ease back in to your routine. I may try some of the exercises you described for my lower back, etc.

Janie, Conway, Ark - Enjoy the game with your Mama. We will be passing close to you on Thursday or Friday on our way to visist my DMIL. She lives the SE corner of MO but we are driving across most of AR and then going North just outside of Memphis. :)

Yvonne in TX - that's no fun getting that sick. Hope you get feeling better quickly. Cucumber Gatorade just sounds nasty even lol

Maryann in Michigan - wow, you go girl. Good job. I'm lucky to get my 10,000 in by the end of the day. I need to think of more I can do in the house, etc. Its just too hot and humid to go outside and walk.

Karen from ny - Great job in setting and working diligently on your weekly goals. This group has been a god-send to me too. I truly stop and think what would my Phat Chat friends say if they saw me now? Whether its putting something in my mouth that I shouldn't or sitting on my rear end not moving as much as I should. They are all such great motivators and terrific supporters. We can do this together. :)

Penny - I saw your question to Heather, I'm interested to know too. Have you ever tried mashed cauliflower? Put in a wedge or two or laughing cow cheese and some garlic and what ever seasonings you like. Its great. Even my DH like it.

Cat in San Diego - Hi and welcome. You are so right, this is a terrific group of women going thru totally different avenues of life, but with one life time goal of living a healthy style. Join in when you feel comfortable and, again, welcome.

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    starting to load the airstream for the upcoming weekend!