Diet Soda on a diet?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    louise5779 wrote: »
    Weight loss no. Plus Carbonated drinks cause cellulite.

kx9fegvowsm8.gif

<3
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    You'll still lose weight. I find I retain less water weight and feel better if I don't drink soda daily. I don't fully cut it out...I just don't drink it every day like I used to. Now when I am bored with water, instead of reaching for soda regularly, I will drink some fruit-infused water (combine cut up fruit and water and let it sit for a few hours) or sometimes a crystal light drink mix if I am craving something sweeter.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member

You'd think the bubbles would push and the dents out
    LMAO :D

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Seriously though this thread/sticky I linked goes over all of this in a scientific way to show the actual effect on the body (spoiler alert: you're fine, if you don't have a sensitivity to it and it isn't your specific trigger for a binge then don't worry about it and enjoy)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    HowlinAl wrote: »
    It isn't good for you. But it isn't going to hinder weight loss either. I drink a can or two a day.

Why isn't it good for you?

Ask your Dentist.

I drank diet soda for nearly 20 years (and a lot of it each day for that time) and never took very good care of my teeth. My first cavity wasn't until 19 years after drinking diet soda. It's not scientific, but my experience says it doesn't matter.

Same. Plus I recently learned that my dentist was a crook so not entirely sure the sudden appearance of a "tiny cavity" at each visit was even legit. Also, I have been drinking diet soda for 30 years and even at my biggest, no visible cellulite, so there's more anecdotal evidence for ya.
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    I've heard that artificial sweeteners can actually cause you to store fat without spiking blood sugar the way natural sugar does but I don't believe everything I read on the Internet.

I drink probably 3-5 Zero Ultra Monsters a week and I'm not gaining weight by any means. Is it slowing my weight loss? Maybe. But I don't eat ice cream, chocolate cake, pasta, bread, or really anything else I enjoy so screw it, I'm drinking my damn Monsters. Everyone needs at least one bad habit, in my humble opinion.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015

But I rarely if ever drink carbonated drinks and I have cellulite. It's almost like...that's utter hogwash.

Awww, and here I was hoping to have something to blame for my cellulite other than my family tree.
  • jswede1149
    jswede1149 Posts: 44 Member
    grg243 wrote: »
    But I don't eat ice cream, chocolate cake, pasta, bread

OM, you should try sugar free fudgesicles or Sobe water ice pops. Only 40 calories a pop.

I've lost 136 pounds drinking diet soda.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

That is the kind of old-wives tale my grandmother would've believed.... in the 1950s.

right??????????
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    It does not affect weight loss.

Drink your diet soda.

Except it tastes nasty.....shiver.

This. Just ****ing foul. I'd much rather just allot some calories for my 1 mexican coke on the weekends.
  • maidentl

Drink your diet soda.

This. Just ****ing foul. I'd much rather just allot some calories for my 1 mexican coke on the weekends.

Pffft. Coke Zero is the nectar of the gods. ;)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    maidentl wrote: »

Drink your diet soda.

Pffft. Coke Zero is the nectar of the gods. ;)

Only if that nectar is being harvested from a corpse flower (it's a thing; look it up).

Blech!
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member

Drink your diet soda.

You hush. It's delicious!!!! ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member

Drink your diet soda.

I just threw up in my mouth a little!

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    It isn't good for you. But it isn't going to hinder weight loss either. I drink a can or two a day.

Ask your Dentist.

I'm not waiting 2 weeks for an appointment... you can tell me, no?

ph around 3.5.
    Acid erosion of your enamel.
    Not good for you.

An apple's ph value is around the same.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Diet Pepsi, causes me to lose things, like sleep and money from my bank account, because I have trouble stopping at 1 or 6 a day. Sodas that are not Pepsi, do not have much of an appeal to me. I have both lost and gained weight while drinking Diet Pepsi.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member

Drink your diet soda.

I just threw up in my mouth a little!

We can't be friends anymore...this isn't working out....HAHAHA!
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member

Ask your Dentist.

ph around 3.5.
    Not good for you.

Tooth decay is not a single-factor disease. Time of exposure, diet choice, bacteria, and genetics all play roles in decay formation (those who've been drinking it constantly without tooth problems, lucky you!). The reason why acidic beverages are usually not suggested is because of the time in contact with teeth- I bet most people who really love them would sip on them for the entire day, but not that many people would take a bite of apple and let it sit there for a few minutes until juice come out, right?
    And plus that's another reason why they usually suggest people to swish water around after drinking soda. Since there's no way to make people quit their favorite beverage (or food), this is the only other way to reduce the risk of having more erosions from acid attack at the point when it happens...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Ask your Dentist.

ph around 3.5.
    Not good for you.

Tooth decay is not a single-factor disease. Time of exposure, diet choice, bacteria, and genetics all play roles in decay formation (those who've been drinking it constantly without tooth problems, lucky you!). The reason why acidic beverages are usually not suggested is because of the time in contact with teeth- I bet most people who really love them would sip on them for the entire day, but not that many people would take a bite of apple and let it sit there for a few minutes until juice come out, right?
    And plus that's another reason why they usually suggest people to swish water around after drinking soda. Since there's no way to make people quit their favorite beverage (or food), this is the only other way to reduce the risk of having more erosions from acid attack at the point when it happens...
    If your body is producing proper amounts of saliva, contact with your teeth should not exceed much more than the time it takes to swallow it down. And that takes generally longer with something you need to chew.
  • maidentl

Ask your Dentist.

ph around 3.5.
    Not good for you.

If your body is producing proper amounts of saliva, contact with your teeth should not exceed much more than the time it takes to swallow it down. And that takes generally longer with something you need to chew.

And if you drink it through a straw it doesn't have to touch your teeth at all.