Thoughts on bananas. ..

Options

Replies

• DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Banana's are EVIL, hell bent on taking over the world! We need to eat them all in self-defense. I always keep one on me and YES that is a banana in my pocket but I am happy to see you.
    They are full of nutrients and give me the boost I need before and after a workout.

Keep calm and eat more banana's.

Not to mention, if the minions love them they must be good.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I've found my bananas coming in at around 120 ish (average) - I weigh mine. But maybe I'm just eating massive bananas hahaha ;)

Same here. In fact, banana calories in grams range anywhere from about 98 to 156 grams, which comes to around 80 something to 140 something calories.

And thank the lord for my food scale - before I purchased my scale, I logged bananas as around 70 cals!!! :o
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've found my bananas coming in at around 120 ish (average) - I weigh mine. But maybe I'm just eating massive bananas hahaha ;)

Same here. In fact, banana calories in grams range anywhere from about 98 to 156 grams, which comes to around 80 something to 140 something calories.

And thank the lord for my food scale - before I purchased my scale, I logged bananas as around 70 cals!!! :o

When I began weighing, I was shocked to see how many extra calories I had been failing to log for fruit. I probably had a few hundred calories each week--just in fruit--that I wasn't logging because I had no idea I was eating it.
  • hpham77
    hpham77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    it depends...bananas are high in carbs but not bad for you...if it fits your macros then all good...key is to weight and log your food intake if you are trying to lose weight
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have lots of fruit in my oatmeal every morning. I did cut back to a half a banana though. I eat after my run so I really need the carbs. Cut back on bread and pasta to make up for fruit carbs.
  • preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Ugh, me too :( What a sad discovery for my daily smoothies.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Chrisbande wrote: »
    Bananas should not be eaten to often. They are a higher source of carbs, sugars , and calories. Same go's with most fruits. It sucks because I happen to enjoy bananas.

doctor-nine-bananas.gif

• sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Really? Bananas are high in potassium and most are near a hundred calories. You should never omit anything from your diet as long as it is in moderation and fits into your calorie expenditure.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Often see pro Tennis players eating bananas between sets at the big championships, so they can't be evil right...

• Shiloh2112
    Shiloh2112 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Bananas should not be eaten to often. They are a higher source of carbs, sugars , and calories. Same go's with most fruits. It sucks because I happen to enjoy bananas.

doctor-nine-bananas.gif

This is the best post EVER!!!!

I eat one banana a day if I can. It is very healthy to do so. There are a lot of benefits such as for your eyes, your mood, your blood pressure, your nerves (that lovely potassium). I have been losing weight and it hasn't stopped me. :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

doctor-nine-bananas.gif

Co-sign. For both the sentiment and 9th Doctor love. :)

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why anyone would say bananas will stop you from being thin. Doesn't matter, though, it's just a silly idea. A banana won't stop you.

Fruits and veggies are "good carbs", for sure. They give us vitamins and minerals that we need and fiber we can use!

Eat your fruits and veggies.
  • k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh bananas in or out of the peel? I don't buy Them often but when I do I don't usually weigh them...although I now I know I should
  • maidentl
    Options
    k2mexox wrote: »
    Do you weigh bananas in or out of the peel? I don't buy Them often but when I do I don't usually weigh them...although I now I know I should

That depends on whether or not you eat the peel.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    markiend wrote: »
    Often see pro Tennis players eating bananas between sets at the big championships, so they can't be evil right...

I have a 2 hour lacrosse game tonight... I'll be chomping a banana first.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    k2mexox wrote: »

Out of the peel. Or weigh the peel after. Once you do that a few times you will know what you can deduct. I'm actually now really good at estimating the weight of a banana from sight (or I was -- I mostly don't eat bananas in the summer so am out of practice).

For the record, not because they are evil, but because I prefer local summer fruit and get more than I can eat in my CSA box.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

True story: I once saw a poster on these forums mention that she logged all bananas as a generic small banana, but bought the largest bananas she could to get more bang for her buck.
  • maidentl
    Options

True story: I once saw a poster on these forums mention that she logged all bananas as a generic small banana, but bought the largest bananas she could to get more bang for her buck.

:laugh: You gotta wonder about people's logic sometimes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Someone in my life keeps telling me bananas are not helping but hindering weight loss...does anyone here agree? I only eat a couple a day....

I had sliced banana in my cereal this morning. Hubby says we are "out of groceries" when we run out of bananas. I've taught him to peel and freeze them before they get black to put in to smoothies later.

I think your acquaintance saw that stupid browning banana ad one too many times.