Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Replies

• raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    So..here we go.

First Date #1:

I met this guy Jason before, we worked at Lowe's together and he always offered to buy me lunch, which I declined but thought it was always kinda of sweet. He's about average in the looks department, not too stunning but not unattractive.
    He suggested we meet at the movie theater which is more like an event center, it has bowling, mini golf, a billiards room, and a bar. He says he will meet me there at 6:30pm on Thursday. Okay.
    I show up at about 6:20pm, and sit at the bar. NSV humble brag: I have SAVED calories for this date and I only went over goal by 11!
    Anyway, I set out to have 2 drinks on this date, 3 MAX. I order a vodka cranberry and commence waiting. I'm chatting with the bartender, talking to the other patrons, I glance at the clock and it is now 7pm. Uhm....am I getting stood up?! I shoot him a text, no response. The bartender, Ashley, feels bad and offers me a shot of tequila on the house. I said sure and started picking out which movie I was going to go see by myself.
    He FINALLY shows up at 7:15. Points off for being hella late.

He sits down, apologizes and says he got held up after class and then traffic was a mess. He goes to school IN DOWNTOWN AUSTIN and his class is over at 6pm and he honestly expected to be able to meet me in Bastrop by 6:30pm. It's a 30-45 minute drive into Austin ON A GOOD DAY! Points off for being a little dumb.

He orders a Bud Light and I make a noise of disgust because I do not like Bud Light and the bartender starts making fun because my first choice of beverage was going to be a slightly warm Shiner(Not my first choice but it was the best they had to offer and I'm picky about my beer).

I ask him a bit about school and he talks about how he's going into graphic design for video games and he has a mock interview scheduled for one of his classes with some executives from big gaming companies to get some pointers on getting a job and maybe be offered an internship. I ask him if he has a portfolio of his work to present and he looked at me all dumb struck. Points off for being REALLY dumb.
    He has not saved/kept track of ANY of his work from school or stuff he makes/designs for fun to present to a potential employer to demonstrate his skills.
    Now, I'm also trying to see his positive attributes. He seems driven, he seems respectful of my personal space, he is offering to pay for my drinks, he isn't talking bad about his ex, he is polite, and is doing okay making eye contact.
    I finish my first drink by 8-ish and order a second one and he offers to pay for it, I politely decline and then he offers to buy us a burger. You had me at burger. I'm totally down. We share a burger, all the while he is talking about his cats, his dog, a little about his son, and a little about his ex(I brought up the topic to see any potential red flags there).

As the 'bar' is closing down we close out our tabs and he walks me to my car. It's at about this point that I realize I've asked him about himself and he's told me, but not ONCE did he ask me a question about myself. It's as if he's not interested in me as an actual person. Then the compliments start falling out about how I look great, how losing weight must have been really difficult, and how funny and sweet I am, and then he asks me if I would like to follow him back to his place. Uhm...no.
    Then he suggests a second date maybe in a couple of weeks at the firing range. I said I would have to see what my schedule looks like and get back to him. He give me a hug, we part, and I open my car door and drive away.
    He finally replied to my text and I told him what @nonoelmo suggested and I have had no further contact.

The whole experience left me feeling kind of empty I guess. I had to sit myself down and journal out some feelings because for a bit I felt like I just wasn't attracted to him physically and that's why I was saying no to the second date. The reality was, he just didn't interest me.
    I think I will just focus back on myself, my work, my home, and my family.

I've rearranged my bedroom and I'm definitely feeling some new perspective coming on and I may have FINALLY picked out a career for myself. Now for the education part.

ETA: TL;DR version: Went on a date, dude wasn't blowing me out of the water, went home and decided it's best for me to ignore the whole dating thing until a later time in my life.

Yes there is no reason to continue to date someone that doesn't make you happy.
    When I was young I wasn't much for dating. I just had fun with friends and enjoyed myself.
    I would not know what to do these days.
    I have been married many years.
    Wish you well on your adventures wether they are alone or with someone
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    So..here we go.

First Date #1:

I met this guy Jason before, we worked at Lowe's together and he always offered to buy me lunch, which I declined but thought it was always kinda of sweet. He's about average in the looks department, not too stunning but not unattractive.
    He suggested we meet at the movie theater which is more like an event center, it has bowling, mini golf, a billiards room, and a bar. He says he will meet me there at 6:30pm on Thursday. Okay.
    I show up at about 6:20pm, and sit at the bar. NSV humble brag: I have SAVED calories for this date and I only went over goal by 11!
    Anyway, I set out to have 2 drinks on this date, 3 MAX. I order a vodka cranberry and commence waiting. I'm chatting with the bartender, talking to the other patrons, I glance at the clock and it is now 7pm. Uhm....am I getting stood up?! I shoot him a text, no response. The bartender, Ashley, feels bad and offers me a shot of tequila on the house. I said sure and started picking out which movie I was going to go see by myself.

He sits down, apologizes and says he got held up after class and then traffic was a mess. He goes to school IN DOWNTOWN AUSTIN and his class is over at 6pm and he honestly expected to be able to meet me in Bastrop by 6:30pm. It's a 30-45 minute drive into Austin ON A GOOD DAY! Points off for being a little dumb.

He orders a Bud Light and I make a noise of disgust because I do not like Bud Light and the bartender starts making fun because my first choice of beverage was going to be a slightly warm Shiner(Not my first choice but it was the best they had to offer and I'm picky about my beer).

I ask him a bit about school and he talks about how he's going into graphic design for video games and he has a mock interview scheduled for one of his classes with some executives from big gaming companies to get some pointers on getting a job and maybe be offered an internship. I ask him if he has a portfolio of his work to present and he looked at me all dumb struck. Points off for being REALLY dumb.
    He has not saved/kept track of ANY of his work from school or stuff he makes/designs for fun to present to a potential employer to demonstrate his skills.
    Now, I'm also trying to see his positive attributes. He seems driven, he seems respectful of my personal space, he is offering to pay for my drinks, he isn't talking bad about his ex, he is polite, and is doing okay making eye contact.
    I finish my first drink by 8-ish and order a second one and he offers to pay for it, I politely decline and then he offers to buy us a burger. You had me at burger. I'm totally down. We share a burger, all the while he is talking about his cats, his dog, a little about his son, and a little about his ex(I brought up the topic to see any potential red flags there).

As the 'bar' is closing down we close out our tabs and he walks me to my car. It's at about this point that I realize I've asked him about himself and he's told me, but not ONCE did he ask me a question about myself. It's as if he's not interested in me as an actual person. Then the compliments start falling out about how I look great, how losing weight must have been really difficult, and how funny and sweet I am, and then he asks me if I would like to follow him back to his place. Uhm...no.
    Then he suggests a second date maybe in a couple of weeks at the firing range. I said I would have to see what my schedule looks like and get back to him. He give me a hug, we part, and I open my car door and drive away.
    He finally replied to my text and I told him what @nonoelmo suggested and I have had no further contact.

The whole experience left me feeling kind of empty I guess. I had to sit myself down and journal out some feelings because for a bit I felt like I just wasn't attracted to him physically and that's why I was saying no to the second date. The reality was, he just didn't interest me.

I've rearranged my bedroom and I'm definitely feeling some new perspective coming on and I may have FINALLY picked out a career for myself. Now for the education part.

ETA: TL;DR version: Went on a date, dude wasn't blowing me out of the water, went home and decided it's best for me to ignore the whole dating thing until a later time in my life.

gotta love the hey, let's talk about me 100% of the time. yuck!

NEXT!
  • ejb060793
    ejb060793 Posts: 281 Member

I've done both before so I can relate. Sometimes it's just nice feeling like you have a partner and someone who can care for and love you like no one else can. I hope this makes sense but it's hard to explain! Especially after just getting out of a relationship you don't want to lose those feelings :(

I totally understand what you mean. I met my husband about a month after I got out of an on/off relationship that spanned a course of 4 years. It's almost like having so much love still inside of you and no one to share all of it with. It's lonely and scary, but the time to yourself can be useful to clear your head.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    So..here we go.

First Date #1:

Hey seriously why rush into another relationship. Focus on yourself for a while.

I really am confused by all the rushing intro next relationships. I guess I am such a loner this confuses me. Why not enjoy some me time. Do things you like. Then maybe you'll find someone with similar interests.

But I am an odd ball.

If you are an odd ball so am I cause I feel the same way.

Ok we're a pair of oddballs! ;)
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    So..here we go.

First Date #1:

Hey seriously why rush into another relationship. Focus on yourself for a while.

I really am confused by all the rushing intro next relationships. I guess I am such a loner this confuses me. Why not enjoy some me time. Do things you like. Then maybe you'll find someone with similar interests.

But I am an odd ball.

I am ok with that! B)
  • Oberon21
    So..here we go.

First Date #1:

But I am an odd ball.

I am ok with that! B)

Ditto!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    ejb060793 wrote: »
    This morning at work there was a car crash victim that came in. He had minor injuries, but the other driver was a fatality at the scene. His mental health was definitely worse off than his physical health. I checked when I got home and no information had been released, not even the fact that a driver was killed. I looked a little while ago and they said that there is an ongoing investigation and criminal charges could be filed. I'm not sure I understand why though, since the guys BAC was 0, and the other driver swerved into his lane. I hate having more knowledge available to me than what is generally available to the public, since the paper almost makes it sound like this poor guy who was rocking back and forth on a stretcher going "omg he's dead" is some sort of monster :disappointed:
    Ugg, that's terrible. I've never even considered the perspective a medical professional might have on situations like these. I hope there isn't too much backlash on the victim.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    So..here we go.

First Date #1:

But I am an odd ball.
    I'm like this as well, but I've never even been in a serious relationship.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    @KylerJaye wow, you are SO pretty! What a gorgeous smile you have.

I'd much rather look at you than whats-her-face.
  • ythannah
    Spending an exciting Saturday night reading my dehumidifier manual because it's gotten so noisy I have to take it apart and clean it.

Be warned, youngsters: this is what old fogies do on their weekends :p
  • Oberon21
    ythannah wrote: »
    Spending an exciting Saturday night reading my dehumidifier manual because it's gotten so noisy I have to take it apart and clean it.

***clearing voice *** speak for yourself
  • ythannah

I'm older than yooooooo.... o:)
  • Oberon21

Probably not by much
  • ythannah

Probably not by much

Over 50 anyway. That's the tipping point, when your weekends become all about troubleshooting household appliances :D
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member

Probably not by much

Over 50 anyway. That's the tipping point, when your weekends become all about troubleshooting household appliances :D

Bhahahahaha, funny. I finally felt that I was really an adult at 25 when I bought and put together my first hoover vacuum.
  • Oberon21

Probably not by much

Ok 3 years from now. Trust me my weekends will never be about appliances.
  • raymax4

I believe age is relative.
  • raymax4

Probably not by much

WHOA!!!!! Back the truck up. I saw no tipping point! I'm still climbing the hills for that matter.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    edited September 2015

Probably not by much

I am just shy of 40 and my weekends consist 99% of chores and errands....if I try REALLY hard, I can fit something fun in, a few times a year.......7

20+ years ago my weekends consisted of night clubs, restaurants, dates, weekends away and shopping (for things I actually wanted, not needed)

When did this happen......

ETA: I have NO idea why there is a 7 at the end of that sentence, lol, it is certainly not the amount of times I do something fun on a weekend, that is about half that, lol
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member

Probably not by much

I am just shy of 40 and my weekends consist 99% of chores and errands....if I try REALLY hard, I can fit something fun in, a few times a year.......7

20+ years ago my weekends consisted of night clubs, restaurants, dates, weekends away and shopping (for things I actually wanted, not needed)

When did this happen......

I'm 44. I do chores and home repairs, and do things with my kids, and go on dates and go shopping.