40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• sobiaansar2000
    sobiaansar2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I am 40 years old and o would like to join this group. I am trying to loose 70 pounds.. I have just started to workout at a local gym for 6 days a week. Unfortunately I have only lost a pound. I workout from moderate to high intensity at least 45 mins. What else should I do to speed up my weight loss?
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Don't try to speed up your weight loss. You have to make a permanent change in your lifestyle if you want to keep it off. Figure on no more than a pound a week and less as you get closer to your goal. You only mentioned exercise. You can not out exercise poor eating habits. Set MFP for sedentary and a pound per week loss. Record your exercise and eat back about half the calories MFP says you used. Weigh your food. Log everything. No food is all bad. If you really want it eat it just eat less and plan it.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Snd remember Yoda.
    There is no try. There is only do.

In some time on here my observation is if someone says they are"trying" then they really aren't determined enough yet to make all the changes needed to take it off and keep it off.

I'm not being harsh or picking on you. I had over 200 pounds to lose. I'm about half way there. I've "tried" losing it many times. But I was not really willing to cut the calories and to stop using food as an emotional crutch. I've done counseling to learn better ways to cope with some issues. And that has freed me to get my intake under control.

Finally you didn't gain it overnight and you won't lose it quickly. And you just need to lose one pound then repeat that a bunch of times. Celebrate the one. Then do it again.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    LEGS! DONE!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Beeps hope the surgery went well!

Bah, still at 148 lbs, nothing moving. Need to try and be more diligent and reduce sugar and carbs. Not sure how well that will go. I have to admit with working out as often and hard as I do I resent having to give up the stuff I like when I try to be mindful of what I eat day to day and I feel like I earn my little treats.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I am 40 years old and o would like to join this group. I am trying to loose 70 pounds.. I have just started to workout at a local gym for 6 days a week. Unfortunately I have only lost a pound. I workout from moderate to high intensity at least 45 mins. What else should I do to speed up my weight loss?

What Allen said. Create new eating habits. Green beans and stir-fry are your friends. Good luck in your lifestyle change.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    ik381zb2s2vx.gif
  • alf1163
    Options
    @3furballs, I feel your pain!! For me I truly need to be on point with my nutrition 80-90%of the time. That is when I get to see the fruits of my labor. The more processed foods including sugars, etc, the more I crave it. I started to focus on clean eating again on Sep 1 and it has made a huge difference.

Welcome to the new members! Consistency is the key! If you fall pick yourself up right away and keep going!!!!

Larro, the stir fry looks delicious!!
  • strangedunn
    strangedunn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just turned 40 and would love to join. Goals are cleaner eating, more consistent exercise, and to be a healthier role model for my son. So glad this group is here!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Back=Done!
  • alf1163
    Options
    @strangedunn, you are in!!! Good job on setting your goals, now on to get them achieved!!! irohvt6mjrdw.jpeg
  • alf1163
    Options
    ofzkx0c6donr.jpeg
    This is how the Sunday morning rolls...goal: 40-50 laps
  • markburnett70
    markburnett70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nice, I was looking forward to swimming some this summer and then I broke my shoulder. Oops. It's cooling off fast now so I don't know if I'll make it into a lake now.

My Sunday plan was to walk the dog and I tried the weight vest my wife had to train for the forest service pack test to go on fire. I liked it, great way to get more bang for your buck, especially uphill. I left two of the 5 lb weights out, next time I'll take the whole 45 lb rig.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Arms & Abs=DONE!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I am a little stiff and sore this morning. Yesterday was the first day of cutting wood and lugging it in the wood shed. We get tree length brought in and my husband cuts and my son and I carry it. It was great to get it started, and I wasn't nearly as miserable as usual. Tired and ready to be done, but not miserable. Amazing what 36 lbs less weight can do for you. We probably have 5 more days of it once a week, so it's not too bad.
    We are trying a few new healthy recipes this week, so hope it goes well. The first one my husband didn't really like too well, but my daughter and I did. So hard to find things that everyone will like.
    Peeps, hope the surgery went well and you're recovering nicely.
    Welcome to the new people, just post and share and let us know how you're doing and a little about you. We are all here to encourage and help and just be here for each other.
    Have a good monday everyone.
  • madamebaco
    madamebaco Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What a great group. I'd love to join, but I'm new and don't know how!
    I've been tracking for over a week, but I still am going over my calories some days. Not as easy as it sounds!
    I'm also increasing my exercise- mostly walking but I have started with weights a bit.

• alf1163
    Options
    Hello everyone, abs and Stronger Combustion workout done!!!! Holding steady at 130. I guess I'm on maintenance mode. Focusing on eating clean.
    @madamebaco, welcome, you are in!!! No need to sign up! You just started, give yourself time but be consistent!!
    Natalie, that is a lot of work!!!! Good for you! Congrats on the weight loss. What did you cook that your husband didn't like? Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring nor bland.
    Hubby cooked this wild salmon, can't wait to dig into it!
    Have a great one!q3j15ahgnn59.jpg
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,978 Member
    Options
    The surgery sucked....but I don't care anymore because IT IS OVER.

I have been in an eye-patch all weekend, but went for a 60-min walk on Saturday, a 90-minute walk on Sunday, and (so far today) a 120-minute walk, today.

Since I cannot lift for 2 weeks, I am totally going to aim for "5 lbs down" and just walk as much of the days away, as I can. And eat only protein bars and shakes, with a small portion of "normal food" for supper.

This has to be good for something.

Every day, a little bit more of my eyesight comes back, so that is good.

I am sooooooooooooooo tired of eye-surgery, lifting breaks, blah, blah, blah. Can't wait for "normal" to return. And, of course, can't wait to lift, again, but for now: ZOOM!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I made a sundried tomato and basil shrimp pasta. He has a bunch of sinus stuff, so maybe his taste was off. I liked it. I tried to help my cousin doing MFP logging food and stuff using her apple ipad and it was like doing it on the phone. It is quite different and hard for me to get around on it and do what I want to, but I was trying to show her how to find things. Hopefully it will help her. She is very fit and healthy and trying to loose a last 10-15 lbs. It said she wasn't eating enough, she didn't want to hear that. She eats a plant based diet and I was worried she wasn't eating enough protein, but she is, needs to increase her fats. Hopefully it will show her something to help. I hate logging on my phone, I have a hard time figuring things out. have a great day everyone.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    madamebaco wrote: »
    What a great group. I'd love to join, but I'm new and don't know how!
    I've been tracking for over a week, but I still am going over my calories some days. Not as easy as it sounds!
    I'm also increasing my exercise- mostly walking but I have started with weights a bit.

Try starting with setting your MFP goals at maintenance for a few weeks. That way you learn to get everything recorded and start learning what foods are what calories. And you won't feel like you are failing. You aren't in any rush. And I found that by just being aware of the calories I made better eating choices.