Im going to lose 20 pounds in 40 days!

I'm 19, female, 5'4", and currently at 178 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. I love myself, but hate the way I look right now. I plan on making a lifestyle change as of tomorrow morning. I will be eating healthier and exercising, and also taking slimquick. I tried Slimquick a few months back for a week and lost a total of 10 lbs, but got off track so now I'm starting over. I'd like to lose 20 pounds and tone up by this coming Halloween! I'd love to make some friends on here so we can both motivate eachother to get healthy!

Replies

• Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    You might lose enough water weight to make you happy by then, but there is no way that you will lose 20lbs in 40 days, especially if you intend to do so healthfully and keep it off. Will. Not. Happen. Start earlier next time and go slower. Maybe aim for 20lbs by Thanksgiving or Christmas.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    20 lbs by Halloween? You are talking about 6 weeks worth of healthy eating. 2 lbs a week is the norm. If you slimfast it, you will lose weight, but your body will not be happy. Its a backwards slide waiting to happen. Don't mind me, I am no pro at quick weight loss. I do have about 26 lbs lost under my belt however, but I have been on here steadfastly since May. You are putting waaay to much importance on one night of fun (Halloween) instead of looking at your journey for the long haul. Again, just my own opinion now. Not telling you what to do.
  • morgiemarsh
    morgiemarsh Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks for your contribution guys, I do appreciate it. I am aiming for fast weight loss though and would like to look good by that time. Afterwards I plan on continuing to try and lose weight but taking it slower. I've gained a significant amount of weight one other time in my life and was able to get it off quickly and keep it off, but I've just recently gained a bunch of weight again because I got off track, stopped exercising and not tracking what I eat. So I've had experience and know how my body handles taking weight off. Thanks guys!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Good luck to you! Go easy on yourself tho, and heed the advice above..your body is important, too important to rush something like this xo
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    If you've had multiple cycles of fast loss and subsequent regain by age 20, enjoy another round on the carousel, I guess. Making a successful change isn't about an end date to try to look hot in Sexy Little Whatever costume for a night. My $.02. Good luck.
  • morgiemarsh
    morgiemarsh Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you JustMissTracy :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Thanks for your contribution guys, I do appreciate it. I am aiming for fast weight loss though and would like to look good by that time. Afterwards I plan on continuing to try and lose weight but taking it slower. I've gained a significant amount of weight one other time in my life and was able to get it off quickly and keep it off, but I've just recently gained a bunch of weight again because I got off track, stopped exercising and not tracking what I eat. So I've had experience and know how my body handles taking weight off. Thanks guys!

@morgiemarsh do you realize that may cost you 8.4 pounds of muscle?

pacifichealthlabs.com/blog/could-you-be-losing-muscle-instead-of-fat-heres-how-not-to-do-that/

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Go easy on yourself - Slow and steady always wins the race :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Are you going to have something cut off?
  • Since your previous tries to lose weight fast, weren't sustainable; this time most likely will be no different. Also at 19, you most likely aren't seriously thinking about having children yet but in order to be able to be healthy enough eventually to, you must always properly take care of your body & losing weight that fast, means that you'll also lose muscle; which includes your heart. I often wonder how many women, that have died from heart attacks during childbirth; unnecessarily weakened their heart with aggressive dieting and/or other reckless decisions.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member

It might have worked last time. I don't think it will work again. This is a fundamentally misguided approach. But go ahead do what you want. Next time you regain, come back and do it right for long term success.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    you can deff lose 20lbs by then. try not to eat more than 50g of carbs, and no junk food :smile:
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Since your previous tries to lose weight fast, weren't sustainable; this time most likely will be no different. Also at 19, you most likely aren't seriously thinking about having children yet but in order to be able to be healthy enough eventually to, you must always properly take care of your body & losing weight that fast, means that you'll also lose muscle; which includes your heart. I often wonder how many women, that have died from heart attacks during childbirth; unnecessarily weakened their heart with aggressive dieting and/or other reckless decisions.

what does that have to do with having children? are you aware that there are women who are obese or underweight who have kids?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    SadDolt wrote: »
    you can deff lose 20lbs by then. try not to eat more than 50g of carbs, and no junk food :smile:

That would just reduce glyogen stores leading to water weight loss, not fat loss. Fat loss comes from a caloric deficit and 20 lb in 40 days should not be attempted, that is 0.5lbs/day, when she should be aiming for 1-1.5lbs/week.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    20 lbs in 40 days would be achievable for someone who is obese or morbidly obese, which clearly the OP is not. And even in cases of obesity, the majority of the initial weight loss would still be water.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    k...... good luck with that....

But I highly doubt it will happen. Plus, you say you want to look good, but losing weight quickly and in an unhealthy manner isn't going to make you look good. It's actually quite the opposite.

But yeah.. sure... good luck.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited September 2015
    erickirb wrote: »

That would just reduce glyogen stores leading to water weight loss, not fat loss. Fat loss comes from a caloric deficit and 20 lb in 40 days should not be attempted, that is 0.5lbs/day, when she should be aiming for 1-1.5lbs/week.

water weight can make you look heavy. 20lbs is 20 pounds. 1 pound a week is ridiculous if you are obese. someone who is obese can lose 2-3 a week safely. stop giving advise

Yes water weight can make you look heavy, but I doubt OP has extra 20 lbs of just water weight. OP is 178 lbs, unless she is 5' tall 1-1.5 loss per week would be ideal in order to help retain lean body mass while losing fat. You may want to educate yourself "newbie"
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    erickirb wrote: »

water weight can make you look heavy. 20lbs is 20 pounds. 1 pound a week is ridiculous if you are obese. someone who is obese can lose 2-3 a week safely. stop giving advise

The OP is not morbidly obese, so a pound a week would be much more attainable for her.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    OP you either believe saddoolt or everyone else.
    The standard safe healthy rates of weight loss are 1-2lb a week,, which would put your traget between 6-12lbs. You may get a boost from the beginning by losing some water weight but that will tail out and often comes back. I think its too much but good luck with it. You talk about healthier and lifestyle change, but it doesnt sounds like it. You are going to have to create over a 1500 cal deficit a day. See how you get on though.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    First of all, it's good that you love yourself and want to make a change. However, fast weight loss is not safe. It is what we all would like in a perfect world, but not what our bodies need to be healthy and long-lasting. Don't feed in to gimmicks. Figure out what you need to eat to lose rather than buying in on supplemental methods. You're gonna drop water weight first either way and then lose, 1-2lbs a week optimally.
This discussion has been closed.