Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Options

Replies

• ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't put anything into mfp as I don't know if Lifting burns enough calories to be significant. I do track all my workouts using an app called 'strong' so I can measure my progress and stick to my routines though!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    When lifting did you also eat at a deficit and do cardio? I have been heavy lifting for 3 months and I have definitely gained muscle but the fat is covering it, and the scale is moving at a snails pace
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    When lifting did you also eat at a deficit and do cardio? I have been heavy lifting for 3 months and I have definitely gained muscle but the fat is covering it, and the scale is moving at a snails pace

I eat at a deficit - although I fall off the wagon *most* weekends! It probably averages out at a deficit of 250cals per day. I've only lost 5.5kg in 6 months but I wear trousers 2 sizes smaller and lots of people have noticed and commented. Although I probably haven't grown much in the way of muscle, I've definitely maintained all I had to start with and my body looks more defined - although I still have a long way to go!
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I need your help because I'm feeling confused. I want to lift and look strong however, I also want to see the scale go down because I'm finally in ONEDERLAND, just, and I'm confused and concerned that if I start lifting will I stall my weight loss or will it in fact still decrease since I still have ( a lot) of fat to lose. I'm 5'9" so my first goal is 175 and then I will take it from there. I am obsessed about seeing the scale go down so I don't know if I should continue to do what I'm doing since im losing weight and focus more on lifting once I'm at 175 because I fear that I otherwise won't reach this number??? Sorry for the long post but I hope you can help because I feel really stuck. I'm sure fit people my height weigh less than 197 so my weight must go down right? Thx :smiley:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Ladies, I need your help because I'm feeling confused. I want to lift and look strong however, I also want to see the scale go down because I'm finally in ONEDERLAND, just, and I'm confused and concerned that if I start lifting will I stall my weight loss or will it in fact still decrease since I still have ( a lot) of fat to lose. I'm 5'9" so my first goal is 175 and then I will take it from there. I am obsessed about seeing the scale go down so I don't know if I should continue to do what I'm doing since im losing weight and focus more on lifting once I'm at 175 because I fear that I otherwise won't reach this number??? Sorry for the long post but I hope you can help because I feel really stuck. I'm sure fit people my height weigh less than 197 so my weight must go down right? Thx :smiley:

Start lifting now. If you maintain a deficit, you will lose. If you are lifting, you will retain your muscle mass. Trust me, it is harder to gain new muscle once you're at your goal weight than if you lift now and retain your muscle mass.

**Note, when you first start lifting, your weight loss may stall for 1-4 weeks as your body adjusts. You will retain water to repair your muscles, but if you are still in a deficit, after your body catches on, the water weight will subside.
  • icemaiden37
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

Start lifting now. If you maintain a deficit, you will lose. If you are lifting, you will retain your muscle mass. Trust me, it is harder to gain new muscle once you're at your goal weight than if you lift now and retain your muscle mass.

**Note, when you first start lifting, your weight loss may stall for 1-4 weeks as your body adjusts. You will retain water to repair your muscles, but if you are still in a deficit, after your body catches on, the water weight will subside.

Very good advice.

Can I just add that nobody else sees that number on the scale. That's between you and your mfp. However, everyone can see when you drop inches. Make sure you measure yourself every 6-8 weeks or so. I just did some measurements for a friend who started lifting 6 weeks ago. She lost 5.5cm from her hips and 4cm from her waist. She's delighted.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @xcalygrl and @icemaiden37 are both spot on! I started lifting and my weight loss scale number has completely stalled. However I'm down numerous inches. It's tough to get your head around, when MFP initially seems all about weight loss, but there are so many other ways to measure fitness. :)

Edited for poor grammar!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why my post a little while ago got reported as 'abuse'? Did someone not like my mismatched underwear in the before photo or bikini in the current (not after - I haven't got to after yet) photo? Bizzare.

Bikini ok but knickers not. Yep, stupid I know.

OMG really? Even when knickers are bigger than the bikini? that's ridiculous. Not like I was wearing sexy lacy grea - it was multicoloured boy-cut cotton gear! ha!

Anyway, on another note - what @icemaiden37 said above re eating at deficit. I eat at deficit too and blow out most weekends (been trying to keep the blowouts to around the 2000 mark not going super crazy) and I've only lost 6 kilos in 8 months but am wearing size 8 (Australian) and 38 (Brazilian pants sizing) again. And my old bikinis from when I used to be slim are all fitting nicely again.

Stop stressing about scales or you go crazy. I try not to stress but sometimes when I fluctuate a lot I get all "boohoo the scales!"

The good thing is so many people are now going "OMG you lost so much weight! you look so trim!" because I am now able to wear my old tight clothes again and feel all good in them.

Still a ways to go - gotta lose some more belly/love handles, want to get the legs more muscular and less fat too, define the back and arms a bit more...
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Awesome job ladies! I've finally read them all. QUESTION: what do you input for a calorie burn on mfp when you're lifting?

I call it "circuit training" even though it isn't. Because I KNOW I burn more than 100 calories in a 45 minute weights session that I go hardcore in and come out of covered in sweat. I
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ghoti_fish wrote: »
    I don't put anything into mfp as I don't know if Lifting burns enough calories to be significant. I do track all my workouts using an app called 'strong' so I can measure my progress and stick to my routines though!

Lifting can burn significantly more calories than cardio, if done heavy enough (as in you CANNOT DO another rep with proper form after a max of 12 reps), with appropriate rest periods, with supersets, or even with cardio intervals interspersed.
    That said, the MFP version of what you're burning isn't accurate, so I just don't ever eat back lifting calories. Ever.

ETA: My 12 week cut pics are in my profile. I gained muscle and lost fat (while on a deficit!! OMGz!1!) according to the submerged bf testing I did at start and finish.
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Jillish23 wrote: »
    @xcalygrl and @icemaiden37 are both spot on! I started lifting and my weight loss scale number has completely stalled. However I'm down numerous inches. It's tough to get your head around, when MFP initially seems all about weight loss, but there are so many other ways to measure fitness. :)

Edited for poor grammar!

So glad I saw this - I was getting so discouraged ! I've only lost about 9lbs since I started lifting 2 mo and have been wondering what the H()$ I was doing wrong , with weighing my food meticulously and really staying on track with my wo, etc^^^ this makes so much sense now ! I def have lost inches tho about 6 total - but it doesn't give the same level of gratification as the bloody # on the scale - my clothes definitely are fitting better too - but ? After the initial stall when should we start to see weight falling off again if eating a deficit ?
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Awesome job ladies! I've finally read them all. QUESTION: what do you input for a calorie burn on mfp when you're lifting?

I don't put anything in. : ) I just eat a bit more on days that I lift and go over my calorie "goal" for the day. I cycle my calories throughout the week, so it's no biggie.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I used to be s Zumba cardio bunny that was also obsessed with the number on the scale. But as I lost weight, I was super unhappy with the way my body looked. It was flabby. They are right if you stay in a deficit you will lose weight but once you start seeing how awesome you clothes look and all those compliments, that number won't matter as much. You'll do awesome!! Good luck!!

• ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Lift, girl. Start lifting now. People who are overweight actually tend to have pretty nice muscle mass (it takes muscle to move bigger bodies around!), but when they start losing weight, many of them lose a lot of muscle. This can be from poor diet, but mostly it's from too much cardio and too little strength training. If you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight, and if you do it while strength training (with a good diet), it will be mostly fat.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank you sooooo much you awesome women! Your advice has been so helpful. Time to lift :smile:
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I think we have similar stats, I'm 176cm tall - but I am still a few lbs above Onederland! I started using weights machines at the gym about 6 weeks ago (my trainer will show me free weights when I restructure my program in a few weeks, I have been pretty unfit and have lower back issues).

What I CAN tell you is this: I have struggled with the idea of the scales not moving as quickly as I want them to. I have only lost about 5-6 lbs but I look like I've lost about 10lb, and clothes fit better than they normally would at my current weight. I am even revising my goal weight as I know when I am at about 175lb I can look a bit scrawny. A few years back (pre babies) I did get down to about 175lb, and I look at the pics and it weirds me out how thin and spindly my arms look. Being another fairly tall person, you might be like me and have spider monkey arms and long legs so you might understand what I mean by that! I have never done much in the way of weight training before, always diet + cardio, so this is a bit of a struggle to get my head around too. :smile:
  • icemaiden37
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »
    Jillish23 wrote: »

Edited for poor grammar!

So glad I saw this - I was getting so discouraged ! I've only lost about 9lbs since I started lifting 2 mo and have been wondering what the H()$ I was doing wrong , with weighing my food meticulously and really staying on track with my wo, etc^^^ this makes so much sense now ! I def have lost inches tho about 6 total - but it doesn't give the same level of gratification as the bloody # on the scale - my clothes definitely are fitting better too - but ? After the initial stall when should we start to see weight falling off again if eating a deficit ?

I can only offer my own experience of this, everybody's body is different after all, and - as stated - I'm really not very good at sticking to my calories 7 days a week! My weight loss has increased a tiny bit over time, nothing significant though. My body fat scales tell me that I am only losing fat though, and retaining all the good stuff, so that's got to be better than losing weight quicker but losing muscle too, in my opinion.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    Hi ladies! Stats: Cw 75kg, tw 65kg +strength, h 168cm, 39yrs.
    Whilst I have been using weight machines, since I joined the gym last September, I have not been consistent. Given that I am so close to my target weight, having lost 20kg already. I thought it was time to start focusing more on building strength. As in, be alot more consistent e.g 4x a week instead of 2x. I am also doing c25k (on wk2 now).
    Just to recap, I still want to lose fat, not fussed about the pace, I want my clothes to be my scale. Should I eat at maintenance if I'll be doing weights 4x a week? I intend to do
    leg press - 40kg (3 sets of 8),
    leg curls s.a.a
    Hip abductors 23kg (3 sets of 8)
    chest press 20kg (3 sets of 8)
    shoulder press 15kg (3 sets of 8)
    low row 20kg (3 sets of 8)
    assisted chin ups
    Elliptical, bike, rower, stair master and of course treadmill for cardio.

Thanks in advance for your help. Any constructive opinions welcomed

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Stats: Cw 75kg, tw 65kg +strength, h 168cm, 39yrs.
    Whilst I have been using weight machines, since I joined the gym last September, I have not been consistent. Given that I am so close to my target weight, having lost 20kg already. I thought it was time to start focusing more on building strength. As in, be alot more consistent e.g 4x a week instead of 2x. I am also doing c25k (on wk2 now).
    Just to recap, I still want to lose fat, not fussed about the pace, I want my clothes to be my scale. Should I eat at maintenance if I'll be doing weights 4x a week? I intend to do
    leg press - 40kg (3 sets of 8),
    leg curls s.a.a
    Hip abductors 23kg (3 sets of 8)
    chest press 20kg (3 sets of 8)
    shoulder press 15kg (3 sets of 8)
    low row 20kg (3 sets of 8)
    assisted chin ups
    Elliptical, bike, rower, stair master and of course treadmill for cardio.

Thanks in advance for your help. Any constructive opinions welcomed

First, you should do a set program that focuses on compound lifts with the barbell: SL 5x5, New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength, Strong Curves-etc. Do a real program

If you have a lot of fat to lose, continue in a deficit. If it's just a little and you think you're ready for a recomp, bump to maintenance.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    First, you should do a set program that focuses on compound lifts with the barbell: SL 5x5, New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength, Strong Curves-etc. Do a real program

If you have a lot of fat to lose, continue in a deficit. If it's just a little and you think you're ready for a recomp, bump to maintenance.

Thanks! I will check them out:)