Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys-
    Today was a busy day at work. My AP colleague and I had to create a new analysis activity and put together a test which took up most of 2 preps for me. We also had mid-quarter progress grades due at noon. On the up side, tomorrow is our "friday" because the kids are off on the real friday this week due to an institute day.

I'm a little over with calories, but happy with most of my choices. Another beautiful day for a walk with gunner, but still no run. My chest congestion is still there. Kelley asked if I'd tried Mucinex. I've tried it in the past and the only result is always that it just makes my nose run like crazy, so I end up even more miserable.

Wednesday Wish:
    That all of us who are struggling with either exercising or staying on point with nutrition get back on track. I'm focused right now on the nutrition and getting there slowly.

Grading Goals:
    1. 45/60 F451 Tests
    2. x/15 Speech tests
    3. 6/40 AP journals
    4. x/40 AP essays

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Newcomers - welcome to each one of you. I've read your individual stories. Each of you is unique. Let me tell each one of you that the first days are as you have just said, the first days are the hardest, and you will stumble. You will snack at night. You will despise yourself in the morning. You'll think "Oh No! I can't face that group now that I've failed - well, let me tell you - each of us fat and thin ladies and men have failed time and time again - not only in the first week, but over birthdays, anniversaries, doughnut days at work, surprise visits at home, Halloween grocery shopping, The Big Week between Christmas and New Year, on gosh , on and on. So its really about learning how to MANAGE those moments of time where our calories exceed our expectations for ourselves. MORE TO COME........
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    :'(:'( It is with a heavy heart that I share some news of a fellow member of ours. She is staying away due to a loss in her family. She has asked me to share this information with all of you. Rather that try and put this in my own words, I am just going to use her words and place our conversation below. I'm sure, if you are, or have been friends with her, she would love a PM from you.
    I am referring to mnWalkingQueen. She contacted me yesterday. I was, really, in shock, and touched, by her generosity of thought toward all of us.

From Holly:
    I know that I had fallen by the wayside. I want you to know that eventhough I havent been online much. Ive been praying for all of you. I also wanted you to know I am suffering a huge loss of my son and this group came to my mind during my suffering. You have all touched me over the years. Since I started my new job I haven't been on the discussion. My new job is pretty hard for me.
    My son made a bad choice of leaving this world this past week. I thought of this group of people on MFP as I struggle with his loss.

I did respond:

To Holly from Me:
    Oh, my dear friend, I'm so sorry, your son is all you had to comfort you and to come home to and love and take care of. Taking care of someone else is often all we have and that lets us think of others and thus not think of our selves at all. When we are alone our thoughts go places we don't like at all.
    Just don't go there!
    I CARE FOR YOU!!
    We all care for you.
    I appreciate your prayers. I'm sure the group does as well.

I said a prayer for you just now and will pray again in 10 minutes - I set an alarm so I won't forget!
    Love, Ellen
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    @susan2396 Oh I wish it had be 4 pounds it was in fact 0.4 pounds. But I was pleased because I though it would be a gain.
    Love the football photo.

@RobinsEgg I am glad I wrote something helpful, that's why we are all here, right? to inspire and be inspired.

@kah68 sorbet is a good idea, I keep Popsicles in the house for a cold sweet treat, they are minimal calories for maximum satisfaction.

I hope Holly has good counseling. She is facing one of the hardest emotional trials anyone can face. Prayers for her.

AFM I went to the Pendleton RoundUp this weekend and came home pretty darn sick. I didn't get on the computer for four days. I am still not feeling human, but the silver lining is, I usually loose weight when I get sick and I should be back to normal in a day or two.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Good morning ... and happy Thursday Truth Day! ... I haven't been on for just a couple of days to read, and am already 48 posts behind ... won't catch up as I am still limiting my computer time and have other things to do on it today.

My Truth today is that I have finally realized, only by staying away from it, that this thread has become my socialization instead of my weight-loss inspiration. Also, I have an interesting story to tell ... it's in regards to my Lebanese Restaurant order experience ...

Yesterday I didn't want to cook for dinner and so I hopped into the car to drive down the road to 'some place' and as I passed Rachal's cafe I noticed it was open so I pulled in to eat there. I was thinking of Falafel but once I got inside and looked the menu over I decided on the chicken Shawarma dinner ... the marinated chicken breast and potatoes, and the 2 sides, hummus and tabouli salad. Then I added another side, Lebanese Lemony Lentil Soup with Kale ...
    As I waited for my food, I noticed the matron of the establishment (and cook) kept looking me over in what seemed like fertive glances and peered back at her when she did, she would smile and rush by. When my order was ready, she brought it out to me herself and sent me off with a cheerful 'come back often'. I live less than 5 minutes away from this cafe so I got home in a jif and settled down to eat my soup ... and found the bowl full of chard and broth but not one lentil ... however the broth was so tasty: perfect hint of lemon and very tender chard stems and bits of green that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I went on to my main meal ... and found there were no potatoes, as promised on the menu! I thought to myself, "hmf, no lentils in my soup and no potatoes in my Shawarma, I should call and complain." But then, the finely chopped up little cubes of chicken were so tasteful that I gobbled them up happily. Next, I used the flat bread to make bite-sized hummus and tabouli rollups and rolled my eyes in pure pleasure at the tastes running through my mouth. ... and I realized that the cook who had eyed me had done me a great service. She left out the extra starches that I did not need, by accident or by intent I'll never know because it doesn't matter.

The first full day of autumn is upon us ...
    In every orchard Autumn stands,
    With apples in his golden hands.
    –Alexander Smith (1830–67)

Niki - follow through
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen - Oh Holly, my heart and prayers go out to you - I am sending you my warmest and most tender hugs and I wish I was there to give it in person.
    Re the mashed cauliflower - if you roast the cauliflower in the oven (450• for 25-30 min, lightly spray with olive oil spray and toss with garlic salt & pepper) first, then mash or process in the food processor, it gives the cauliflower a wonderful nutty depth of flavor.
    @Nikion901 - Yes she did you a wonderful favor without sacrificing any flavor. American portions are so inflated, most American meals are actually family sized portions in other countries! It was kind of her and I for one would thank her!
    @jtconst - I have recently discovered that fat-free cream cheese spiced with a tiny bit of Sriracha sauce is excellent on sandwiches and wraps and is non-fat and packed with protein as an extra bonus. I like to use Greek cream cheese with yogurt (a brand sold at WalMart). Yum!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Punctuation Day!

National Punctuation Day

Could we change our attitude, we should not only see life differently, but life itself would come to be different. ~Katherine Mansfield

11857432.png

Tom
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    DrivenDiva wrote: »
    Good day, everyone! So glad this thread is still going...I posted here semi-regularly some years back when I joined MFP. Can't believe I've been a member since 2012! If only I'd kept at it, I would be at my goal by now... oh well! So, I lost thirty pounds and have gained it all back just about. To introduce myself, I'm 39...will be 40 in November. Married for 16 years and have three teen sons 16, 15, and 12. And we live in Chicago. I work as an executive assistant for the University of Chicago.

Hoping to find success this time around. It's great to reconnect with folks on the same journey. Good luck and best wishes everybody!

Welcome! You can do it this time! I know it. Take it one day at a time and go from there.
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good almost afternoon, everyone! Had a decent day yesterday. Wasn't 100% on plan but I couldn't stop on just a few of those really, really good sweet potato chips! lol Good thing is, I got on my recumbent bike last night and rode for 15 minutes. First time doing it since I just got it yesterday. Plan on doing that for at least 15 minutes every night. Will add time once my knees get used to it. Forgot my breakfast entree today! Doh! Will make it up later, but I did eat a greek yogurt so I had something.

Have a great day, y'all!
  • DSnutz
    DSnutz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think this may be my first discussion post on MFP. I have been using MFP off and on for some time, having previously used a different platform to track my nutrition and get community support. The thing I preferred about that previously-used platform to this one was the support. But I realized, there is community support here. I just have to ask for it. So, here I am, asking for support. I belong to some Facebook groups that have some helpful and a lot of neutral or unhelpful information, and the same few people posting all the time. I don't see these individuals as sharing many of my struggles when they only want to lose 5-20 pounds and I have so much more than that to lose myself. I have been committed to changing my lifestyle since August 10th, and I've lost around 12 pounds since then. I have gone down one pants size (although I'm wearing my old pants right now, and they still fit okay).
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    @Angelika - those big Rodeo's are full of dust and pollutants aren't they? I used to go here in Omaha, as well as other, not so big livestock events, but I couldn't handle the waste products I had to walk around. I loved it when I was a kid, and my dad was in the livestock business, but I guess that immunity wore off!. Sorry you got sick! Hope you are better soon and it shows up on your scale.

@Nikion - "Neenah" - what a pleasant way to look at your dining experience! I hope you have a nice time with that lady again and it turns into a discussion - it almost seems like a kindred spirit in the wings.

@GOINSTD - thanks for adding to the mashed cauliflower info - I just may try it - adding to my bland food inventory.

@Morgori - Tom, punctuation is dear to my heart. Everything is in it's place. I don't care so much about sentence structure, but give me an appropriate apostrophe and I'm so happy!
    You are a faithful man, and therefore Amy is a lucky woman.
    How's your big whooping cooker doing?

@Terri70 - you're doing so well - but you threw me with saying "sweet" potato chips! How can they be sweet? Is that just another word for "great" or were they a combo of salty and sweet?
    Congrats on your recumbent bike and doing it for 15 min! your body might complain and holler at you - so ice what hurts and just relax, you will get used to it soon.

@DSnutz - welcome to our discussion! Like you mentioned, its so nice to be a part of a discussion where we are all equals in our goals. Losing a large amount of weight is SO much different than dropping 25 lbs and being done.
    We WILL support you in your struggles as they appear.
    Congrats on your 12 lb loss so far - what a great start. What are your lifestyle changes? any one in your life who is supporting you?

AFM - OH, Good News. I found a contractor to Re-Do my Bathroom for a good price (equivalent to what I had set aside) and he can't start until Dec. 7th - but he guarantees it will take 8-10 working days AND he doesn't need ANY money up front. I love that. Found him on Angies List. Best 9 buh I ever spent.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! What is my problem? The last 24-hours I’ve been Miss Piggy and eating everything in sight. WHY??!! This will stop immediately. I need a solid day tomorrow and a good weekend. I’ve got this.

@Kah68 – Kelly, yes, this is the same pain. It’s basically my right foot on the back of my heel. Not the bottom. I have got to freeze the water bottles and start rolling on a consistent basis. The walk was OK, but I think it’s the bleachers that did it. I really pushed too hard. The saying “No Pain. No Gain.” is BS!! I’m in pain and no gain. LOL!!! I hope you can join us in Chicago. Lord knows we could always use cheerleaders plus we’ll enjoy Chi Town together and finally meet face to face!!!

@RobinsEgg – Ellen, I’m in shock right now reading Holly’s post. I just can’t fathom her loss. As a mom and also a single mom like Holly, words cannot express how my heart hurts for her. I know her son had many ups and downs through his teen years, but I thought he was heading in a better direction. She is in my thoughts and prayers for strength, understanding, peace, and her future without her son. I know when I get home tonight I’m hugging Cyrus extra tight. Hugs to you my friend Holly. We're here for you and thank you for sharing with Ellen.

@Terri70 – It happens and you’re not alone. Can you switch things around? Since dinner is such a struggle, perhaps make that your lightest meal of the day. I really battle late night snacking so I always leave myself at least 200 calories for the evening. If I use them, great. If not, that’s OK too. I just don’t feel deprived and that seems to help.

@sbmcm – Great advice to Teri. Eating some protein prior to dinner to help stay full is right on target. I’ve found what works for me are 5-6 mini meals. Mid-afternoon I’m always eating something like apple and peanut butter, almonds, jerky, etc. . It seems to help carb that starving feeling before dinner.

@Bigaug – I totally agree with your Wednesday Wish. I know at some point we may have to share, but I had someone share my lane and there was a completely open lane. WTH??!! I’m a big girl and need my space. LOL!!

@Morgori – Love me some pot pie! Of course, now we can fix them healthier versus the Swanson version and the fat laden crust. They were comforting though.

@edlong1121 – I’m sure it’s very different being in the classroom versus bedside with probably many pros and cons. This group is so important to me. I’ve gotten in a few funks and will be gone 3-6 months. I come back and their still here with welcoming arms. Folks will reach out to me and just say their thinking about me. Life throws us lemons sometimes and it just gets to be too much. When we’re looking at 100+ lbs, it can be so overwhelming. I’m sorry, but people who need to lose 5-10 lbs just don’t get it. We understand and that’s why we’re here for each other. We also understand this is not a quick fix. It’s not a diet, but we each need to make changes in our everyday life that we can sustain for life. Glad you’re on board!

@DrivenDiva – Welcome back! I joined in August 2013 and have come and gone. The group is still here and you should see some familiar names. My weight has jumped up and down too, but with the support of this group the ups keep getting smaller and smaller each time. There’s a group of us doing the Shamrock Shuffle in April 2016. I love Chicago and can’t wait to meet up with everyone.

@Jconst – Tammy, I totally agree! I love guac as a spread. While it’s a good fat, it’s still very high in calories so I still keep an eye on my portion control. I love avocado in my salads too.

@Skinnyjeanz – Enjoy your long weekend ahead!! The analysis activity didn’t sound very fun. I guess its good you were working together.

@angelika – I knew there was a 4 in there somewhere. LOL!! I know you were really worried about a gain though so I’m still cheering your .4 lb!!! Sorry you’ve been under the weather. Hopefully, you’re on the upswing.

@Goinstd12 – Thanks for the additional tips on the cauliflower. Definitely buying one this weekend and trying it again.
  • DSnutz
    Options
    @RobinsEgg thanks for the welcome! I told my husband the thing that would help me the most is if he did it with me, and he agreed to. When I have tried doing it on my own in the past, whenever he would bring home sweets or whatever, it would make it so much harder for me. To know we have the same goals (even though I have more weight to lose than he does) helps so much. We started with the 21 Day Fix through Beachbody and are now doing the Cize workout videos (I much prefer those, and I much prefer counting calories versus having to eat from a list of foods and staying away from things not on the list). We are just trying to be more aware of how many calories we're eating each day and get regular exercise. It helps that the exercise doesn't feel like a chore for me at the moment but is actually enjoyable. That is what I've been looking for!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hey guys!

@DSnutz --welcome! That's great that your DH is doing this with you.

@DrivenDiva -- welcome back!! Great to see you again. I'm from Chicago and now live in the northern 'burbs. Susan is right--you should join us for the Shamrock Shuffle.

@kelley- hope you can make it to Chicago. Even if you can't join us in the Shuffle, it would be great to meet you.

@tom-- one of my favorite days and A Katherine Mansfield quote!! I teach one of her short stories (Miss Brill) and love her writing.

@angelika-- The Pendelton Round up!?! One of my good friends lives in Pendelton and was also at the Round up! Such a small world.

@tammy-- I also love avocado in my sandwiches in place of mayo. Yum!

I have to head back to work for that BOE meeting, but will try to get back later to post Thursday Truth.

Grading Goals:
    1. 45/60 F451 Tests
    2. x/15 Speech tests
    3. 26/40 AP journals
    4. 1/40 AP essays
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen- My thoughts and prayers are with you. Sending you hugs.

@Shamrock Shuffle Crowd- I am also signed up and ready to go. I am looking forward to a long weekend. When are people planning on arriving? Right now I am thinking of coming in on Friday and either leaving Sunday afternoon or Monday. It will depend on a few friends I have in Chicago. Very excited about this trip.

I have been swamped once again and still have work to do tonight. I hope to get back on more often but I think I will finally let my streak of days die, it was over 1700. I have missed to many days lately without thinking about signing in and missed several days all together. I did reset the counter but I did it again yesterday and missed logging in. I will decide in the next day or two if I want to reset again.

For all the newbies- Welcome to this thread. A great piece of advice for getting started is to create a 3 column list. The first section: I am willing to do, 2nd- I may be willing to do and the last I am NOT Ready for this yet.
    This really helps to put things in perspective and provides a starting points.

AFM- Tonight was the first time I knew I needed to run and my body was craving the run. So after I finished my partner training session that did not kick my butt, I went and ran 2 miles on the treadmill. I did keep my pace up from 4.8 to 5.0 mph so that was good. Then I walked about a mile to cool down. It was the stress reliever that I needed today.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the Fall. To our friends in the southern hemisphere- enjoy the beginnings of Spring.

• jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    @holly I was so sorry to hear about what happened. I cant even fathom the pain you are feeling right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you through this hard time.
    @karen what are the dates for the race again? I am really hoping to work it out though I wont be able to sign up early since I wont know for sure until the first of the year.
    Welcome to all the new faces I have seen over the last couple of days. The people on here are the best. I was pleasantly surprised by my trainer yesterday. I told him I might have to put training on hold for a couple of months due to finances. hubby and I are saving to buy a house hopefully next year and it might get a little tight at the end of the year. He was real nice about it and told me during that time to just let him know when I needed new workouts and he would still make them up for me. He wasnt going to let finances slow me down when i was willing to put in the work. He is a really nice "kid". I call him that all the time cause he is the same age as my oldest daughter. It was kind of funny when I first started because my hubby can be the jealous type and when he started in a little I just looked at him and said I dont go for kids dear and shut him right down :) Well I best head to bed soon. Got work tomorrow and it is the long day out of the two. Have a great one everybody :):)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    The BOE meeting ran long--I ended up leaving at 9 pm even though they still weren't done. I feel bad that there won't be any notes from the last few items on the agenda, but the union president always says we don't have to stay more than 2 hours. Even if I wanted to stay later, I had to get home, eat dinner, and get to bed for work tomorrow.

@laurie-- I will be on Spring Break the week before the race, so if you come on Friday, I will be around to go sightseeing or whatever. Also, if you fly into O'hare, I should be able to pick you up from the airport. I'm not sure if it will make sense to drive all the way downtown (parking is rough and/or super expensive), but my parents still live right near O'hare and the train that goes downtown, so I could pick you up, drive us to my parents, drop the car there, and we can train it downtown. Keep me posted on your plans.

Thursday Truth:
    I'm so happy there are no students tomorrow--not because they are difficult or anything; I actually like my classes a lot so far--I just really need a break from assigning/collecting more grading. Tomorrow I plan to finish the F451 tests; then, I must grade the rest of the AP essays this weekend.

Grading Goals:
    1. 48/59 F451 Tests
    2. x/15 Speech tests
    3. 26/40 AP journals
    4. 1/41 AP essays

• RobinsEgg
    Options
    @DSnutz - interesting about the Beachbody diet - we have quite a distinquished lady on here named @Grandmakaye who is currently trying to lose her last -oh - 4 lbs to reach her 100 lb goal. She is remarkable and enjoys that diet. So glad your DH is involved as well.
    I've never heard of those video's before - they sound enjoyable so I'll have to check them out!

@Terri70- that's good advice from Susan - I can only add what I sometimes do - fix a huge batch of foods -many meals - on my off day of the week, so I can just re-heat one of them for dinner during the week-nights. Get the stove-top going boiling eggs, and something else in another pot, use the oven for casseroles, and use the slow cooker for a big batch of stew or macaroni. I also recommend you drink wine liberally while doing this.

AFM - I've decided Lori should see the REAL ME, the way I really live.. as I haven't got as much cleaning done today as I expected. And tomorrow I made a bit more plans than I expected. And It has rained a bit more than I expected (5-7 inches yesterday) , so my cart - that I bring sacks in with - and my shoes - have brought in dog loads of dirt!
    And I no longer fight going to sleep - so, good night all!

No snacking - just consider it.....

• DSnutz
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound Thanks! Getting the hubby on board has really been a great blessing. I wanted to go for a short walk in the neighborhood tonight with the 4-year-old after getting home from my long day, but because of him, we ended up doing the walk and a workout.

@RobinsEgg I definitely was not a huge fan of the colored containers, but it did help me get in the habit of having more veggies in my diet. I am a chocoholic, and I need to have some each day, but it really only seemed to allow 3 small treats a week. I know that would feel too much like deprivation to me and would not be sustainable in the long term.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    @Morgori Well, may I say, "Happy Punctuation Day" to you too?!

@DrivenDiva You aren't the only one I was so close to my goal, then my life got mega crazy and I gained most of it back and now, here I am again, but at least we knew where to go for support, right?

@RobinsEgg I really enjoyed myself at the RoundUp but I am still recovering. But yes it did show up on the scales! woo hoo. Gotta love those silver linings.

@skinnyjeanzbound we took our foreign exchange son to the RoundUp and he had a ball, got a "real" cowboy hat and was really glad we went, I'm sure your friend enjoyed it too, the weather really co-operated.

@DSnutz I am a raving chocoholic and the only way I can control it is to limit my chocolate to two very small portions a week, otherwise I crave it like an addict, so I substitute other sweets that are healthier like grapes, strawberries and Popsicles.

AFM at my weekly weigh in I was down 3.2# the silver lining of being sick as a dog, but hey, I'll take it.
    I am still not feeling great but hope to get myself out to get some sunshine this weekend, before the rain sets in and I forget what sunshine looks like.