WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Cynthia – I don't know enough about arthritis and knee replacements and arthroscopic surgery to understand why your orthopod doesn't want to go into your left knee.

Concerning the right knee, I wonder... A lot of people facing thoracic surgery are told to lose weight first, and I can see that being relevant for safety reasons. Those slated for any form bariatric surgery often have to lose weight first too. There, in addition to safety issues, I guess the doctors need to know if the patients can regulate their food intake, since they will be forced to do so for the rest of their lives. But for knee replacement...? Is it to put less stress on the new joint during the healing process? I hope they have a good, medical reason, but I sometimes wonder if it's a diversionary tactic to keep the joint replacement surgery waiting list short.

Since I love to run, I'm a bit worried about "using up" all my cartilage. My father has problems with his hip joints and was tentatively scheduled for hip replacement - right up until my mother started falling and breaking her hips. Now he's put the whole project on hold. But my father has been heavy all his life. That probably put extra strain on his joints.

Between my father's worn-out cartilage and my mother's osteoporosis, I'm choosing to keep running and lifting so my bones stay strong. But if I get arthritis or the ends of my bones start grating on each other, I may change my mind.
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,387 Member
    Options
    Gayle Using MFP is just a tool. It doesn't mean you are obsessive, just sensible. I know I was appalled when I started logging and discovered how much I was actually eating. I weigh portions to make sure I eat sensibly. My doctor has been very supportive, especially when he saw how much it was helping me. But as others say, you gotta do what is right for you.

Heather Here's hoping the tablet continues to behave lol. Love the pics.
    We are trying to sell a rental at the moment, too. Not sure that the agent is doing much to push it so we may have to do something about that.

DJ I love line dancing. Haven't done it for a while.

Penny I'm sure it will be lovely. The atmosphere up there is so clear.

No more time to comment as I have a meeting after lunch. Catch y'all later.

Irish Terri
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Sorry missed a few days and fell way far behind it's a hard site to keep up with. But I have been logging my food all along. Watching my carb's and it works. I was tops best loser last night with 3.2 lbs. won 9 bucks. So that will pay for 3 weeks at 2.50 a week.
    I was up a little on wii this morning but I know the why so will have to fix it.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Lagopus: it is also related to my age. I am relatively young and the replacement will have to last longer. I am not happy with this, but I understand it. The waiting list is not such a problem. I do feel I'm between a rock and a hard place; I really need the replacement (I walk as little as possible), but I've struggled with weight loss all my life.
    Thanks for your reply!

Cynthia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :)janetr, when is your surgery?????/keep reminding us so we can be supportive and cheer you on.

:)cynthia, keep coming back and checking in....this is the greatest place for support..we have infinite patience to hear about daily progress

:) my experiment with eating pizza resulted in my weight going up a pound and a half this morning.....all water retention...I probably won't eat pizza again for a very long time (maybe not ever)

:)17761776, One of the best decisions I made when I started this journey was to stop using food as recreation and entertainment. When we travel, I bring some of my own food and look for the simplest food on restaurant menus. There is lot to do to sample the local culture besides eating.

:) The line dance teacher who teaches the two intermediate classes dealt with the death of her 12 year standard poodle by spending a lot of time teaching herself new dances so she was teaching us new dances almost every week. Now that she has a new dog---a very active miniature poodle---she has no time to learn new dances and we have a reprieve and the classes have been filled with familiar dances and the opportunity to learn them better.

Jake got up early and took the dogs for their first walk so I haven't been out yet....his daily step count has been increasing and mine has gone down since he got home.

“The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach."-- Yutang Lin

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    morning peeps- well i *kitten* showered n shaved this morning !!! well, not shaved, not allowed, just showered really but you get my drift.

i am gonna go now. thanks again for the "good lucks!!"

will try to type to ya later.!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    think of me at 8am PST. that's the time of the surgery. check-in is 6:30am PST.

Pip.....Take care and take it easy....
    My son had a bankert repair on his shoulder - they told him he could see how it was done on the internet. There are two tiny little scars on his shoulder. He was fitted with a special brace prior to the surgery - it had a water color filled with ice attached so that it kept his shoulder literally iced. Recovery for him was really hard because he is a very active person - much like you. Sooooo.... take the time to recover. :)

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good morning ladies! You guys have been very busy on here already this morning.

Heather-good luck on your trip and the viewing of your rental. Let us know how it turns out.

Michele- my brother was a diabetic and he would plan on what dessert he would eat according to his blood level and when he took his insulin. He ate pretty much normal desserts. You might want to ask what they would like.

Barbie-it is much more fun to learn something really well before moving on. I wish they had a line dancing class near me.

Gayle- I think that counting calories is extremely helpful as a tool so that you know how much you are eating daily and how much calories are in the food that you eat. I agree with using a scale so that you can see The correct portion size. I know that I have changed what I am going to eat because of the calorie count in that food item.

PIP-prayed for you to have a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Cynthia-we will cheer you on during your weight loss so that you can have a successful knee surgery.

Janetr- I think you said that your surgery is tomorrow. I will be praying and thinking of you during that time. You have until the afternoon don't you?

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    uciqj2l8t1kr.jpeg
    This morning's walk.
    Maryann in Michigan
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Barbie/Mary - my surgery is Tuesday, the 29th at 7:00 am. Looking forward to next Friday, Oct. 2nd when I'll come back home. :) thanks for checking.

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    I'm back from my visit to the rental. Phew!

It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Though I couldn't find the key to top up the electricity, so there is no electricity at the flat. Couldn't even get into the box to check if they'd left the top up key in there. Must take a triangular key next time for the box. The checkout said that they had seen the key as they had ticked it as present.
    I noticed that every other flat in the block had new windows. Not mine, except for a bathroom window I'd agitated the freeholders about last year. Don't know why that is. ;) If the sale goes ahead it's not my problem, but if it falls through and I am forced to keep it on then I want to know why.
    The flat was smaller than I remembered, but not too dirty and not masses of stuff to get rid of. It's only basic furniture etc. White goods. Just shabby. Not awful by any means.
    Nobody had locked the deadlock, which I wasn't happy about. Piles of mail. No one had cut the grass and there was junk outside. Terrible freeholders, which is one reason it was driving me crazy.
    Oooooohhhhhhh I just want to get shot of it. :sad: Once we have exchanged contracts (cross fingers) I will go over with DH and get professional house clearers in.

Feel a bit better and hope to get the electrics sorted soon.

Sorry to go on, but this place has turned into a millstone and a phobia.
    The journey there was quite pleasant as I met a lovely trainee doctor who had no idea how to get to Southampton (you have to change) and we chatted away. She was originally from India, with a 7 yr old son.

So now I will try to put it out of my mind for now. Just hope the solicitors hurry up.

Lots of love, thinking of PIP, Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Barbie/Mary - my surgery is Tuesday, the 29th at 7:00 am. Looking forward to next Friday, Oct. 2nd when I'll come back home. :) thanks for checking.

Janetr OKC

Janet, I'll be walking dogs on Tuesday morning when you go for your surgery.....I'll tell the dogs to help me think healing thoughts for you while we walk. :)

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    watching the Pope~ he truly is the people's pope, trying to do some cleaning...was going to go out with my friend Doris , but she had other plans so am home alone except for the puppies
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Pip - Thinking of you today and looking forward to seeing you back here soon!

Michele - AllRecipes.com has a section on diabetic diets (http://allrecipes.com/recipes/739/everyday-cooking/special-diets/diabetic/). Maybe you could find ideas there.

Janet - I'm sorry to hear about your ex. I wasn't and still am not friends with mine, but he was a part of my life for 11 years and it would still hit me hard if something were to happen to him.

Lagopus - OK, I'm adding "Right on" and "That's the way" to my list of things I don't want to hear when I'm under the knife!

Heather - Best of luck with your rental. Glad it wasn't as bad as you feared!

It must be close to migration time - the hummingbird aerial battles outside my window are really heating up. Also, a couple of days ago I looked out there just in time to see a Cooper's hawk land on the branch the other bird feeder hangs from. I'm not too worried about the hummingbirds, but I think I'll move the regular bird feeder to give it a little more shelter!

I've been working on getting all of the carpet out of my house. Last week I finished in my office and yesterday I got all but the last little bit out of the dining room. My office had ugly linoleum underneath, but the rest of the house has beautiful vintage hardwood. It's sweaty work, but SO gratifying to see those floors emerge back into the light!

I accidentally found a tiny home-based organic plant nursery the other day. The owner was having a sale to clear out some plants so she wouldn't have to care for them over the winter, so I bought several nice plants for a song. I still need to get those repotted, but I've had my hands full with dividing some pond plants. Then at the hardware store, they accidentally charged me for a small flat of tomato plants that someone else had left on the counter. Rather than make them refund it, I just brought the plants home. I'm dubious about whether they'll have time to bear, but we do have a fair amount of warm weather left so I'm going to put them in pots and see what happens. I'm really missing having a garden - we moved here too late to get one in this year. In the meantime, I can prep beds for next year's veggie garden and a moon garden I've got in mind to build.

All of you who are struggling are in my thoughts.

-Yvonne in TX
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Joyce, it sure sounds to me like he is making progress. I hate that he is being so hard on himself but I have to admit that I understand it a little bit. I just hate being sick and want to be back to 100 % ASAP. You are an angel for your patience. Just hang in there and hopefully one day soon all will be right with the world.

Mindy, I hope you don’t overdo. We know you are employee of the year, but chill, lady! Lol It does sound like you are enjoying your job and trust me, that is a wonderful thing!

Heather, I hope the rental is not in terrible shape and your nerves can calm. Is the sale for “as is” condition or will you possibly have to make repairs before it closes? Here in the US it can be either way. Good luck!!! (Later) So glad it wasn’t in bad shape. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the sale to go through and quickly.

Cynthia, I’m glad you decided to come back in where we can see you. I would have never in my life thought that I could lose the weight I’ve lost on MFP. You have a real reason to lose with your knee problems, and you know this thing works, so it’s just a matter of making up your mind. I know until I did that, nothing else mattered. You have a wonderful support system here and we are all with you. It’s not always fun or easy but it is sure worth it. Good luck.

Penny, now every time my dentist says anything that sounds a bit out of the ordinary, I’ll think he just screwed up. Thanks for the info,…..I think? LOL

Irish Terri, the line dancing is new to me and I have to admit it is way harder than I thought it would be. How did I know The Electric Slide is the easiest line dance on earth?? My problem is remembering all the steps and also I’m finding that some of the dances with lots of turns tend to get me a little dizzy. The instructor is great and always tells us what to do if we don’t want to do a turn so I just keep trying.

Linda, even if you don’t have time to keep up with all the posts, good for you on logging your food. That is what is most important. Congrats on your loss and keep up the good work.

Barbie, it sounds like a good thing that the line dance instructor got a new dog before she wore everyone out. I know it must have been so sad to lose her 12 year old.

It’s getting close to time to wheel Pip into the operating room. smurf.gif My thoughts and prayers are sure with her.

Mary, I’ve done the same thing about changing what I planned to eat because of the calories in something. Some things just aren’t worth it. smiley-eatdrink022.gif I mean it has to really, really, really be good if I am going to waste a lot of calories on something. The nice thing is, there are so many alternatives.

MaryAnn, beautiful picture!!

Yvonne, I’m not a gardener so I have to ask, what is a moon garden? I’m picturing you out tending your garden by moonlight. smiley-confused005.gif

I slept so good last night and didn’t get up until almost 8:00. The really different part was that I didn’t get up for a bathroom trip until 5:00 which was a few hours later than normal. We have a chance of rain for the next 3 days so I’ll have to plan my outings. There is plenty to do here at home in between keeping up with the posts on here so no problems. My mind turns to you ladies so often during my day and it’s always with good thoughts.

Sending the best thoughts to all of you and I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: My thoughts and prayers are with you this morning. I hope the surgeon is skilled and all goes well. :heart:

Cynthia: The best support I have to offer is the word stubborn. You need to be stubborn about taking care of your health and making it a priority. Moving/exercise is a great way to help take off pounds, but the arthritis will be a challenge. Would swimming work for you? :huh: My neighbor had a hip replaced last year and not one surgeon would do the job until he'd lost 50 pounds. I think it was based on a worry about him having a heart attack on the operating table, but I don't know for sure. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I love this quotation: “The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach."-- Yutang Lin :smiley:

Maryanne in MI: Lovely walking grounds. Thanks for the picture. :flowerforyou:

Heather: It is good that your flat was in decent condition. Good luck with the solicitors. :flowerforyou:

My neighbor is off on a trip to visit her daughter in Idaho this morning, so no Zumba/spin class. Yes, I could go on my own but I don't want to. Plenty is going on at home today. We had our garage door opener replaced a couple of months ago and it quit working so a repair person is coming out today. The opener quit working and both long life lightbulbs burned out, so we think there is a short in the system. Our previous opener worked flawlessly for 15 years before it wore out. A couple of months is not good enough. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday ! ! !

Gayle – 3 Brothers does look like something my Dad and I would enjoy, but DS and DH would not be willing to eat anything they don’t already know they like, and would never be able to be patient to wait for their food. Thanks for the suggestion. Dad and I will give it a try. // I don’t consider what I do here on MFP as counting calories, because the site does most of the work for me. I just use the tools that are offered, and do my best to “listen” to the advice. It works for me, and that’s really what matters.

Allison – I agree with Barbie ; You deserve everything you wish. Follow your heart and keep taking care of yourself.

DJ – I did the same thing with the ED ! ! ! It’s a term I type sometimes a few times per day at work, so it just pops in my brain. I have to actually think about the term eating disorder. Thanks for making me feel less crazy !

Joyce – it sounds like Charlie is doing great. His journey is really not much different from ours, except the mirror image. I’m so happy he is finding more foods that he likes. Hugs !

Mindy – Wow. You are rocking this new job. Keep up the great work.

Heather – Great job looking inside, and doing what is best for you !

Cynthia – It’s a vicious downward spiral, isn’t it? The added weight makes the joints hurt worse, so we walk as little as possible, but the less exercise makes it harder to lose weight, so we try to exercise a little more, but it causes more pain, so we exercise a little less, etc. etc. etc. I’ve been in need of replacement for about 10 years, and I hear the same thing from everyone in my network; you are too young, and you need to lose weight. Well, if the joint lasts 20 years, who’s to say I will live past 70 ? It’s not very likely from my Mom’s side of the family. Plus, when I am getting closer to 70, will I want to be as physically active as I want to be right now? Plus, with less knee pain, won’t I be able to be more physically active than I am now? And with fake joints in my knees, with the RA still be able to flare in those joints? If not, then that will make me feel even better too, right? It just doesn’t seem fair, but I will keep chugging along to the best of my ability. I hope you are able to keep trying your hardest, too ! ! !

I stayed home last night, went grocery shopping and baked some fish instead. Then, since Criminal Minds was not on, I went to bed early. I was having an amazing, realistic dream when my alarm started sounding. Everything clicked along great (except that DS hit his snooze button, so he took a speed-shower), and I was able to ride the bike at work for 20 minutes again. The RA flare is on the bottom of my right foot midway down, so I’m trying not to walk too much, but it doesn’t hurt while riding the bike (yes ! ! !)

I am going to be bald by the end of today, because I will have pulled out all my hair. Not only is there a HUGE Anniversary event at work so random people are trying to take my patient parking spots, but my computer keeps logging me out. And the patient schedule is super busy this morning, and the new ICD-10 codes haven’t been working, so I can’t finish billing. Now the personal trainer came over because his ICD search under “fitness” gave falling from cliff, anxiety, voyeurism, etc. Arrrrrgh ! Ok, better, thanks ! ! !

Time to guard my parking lot again, this event starts in 20 minutes. Cheers to everyone at the top of the 11:00am hour.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    hi folks...I am 59...have been away for awhile but started back 4 days ago...you know when you can "tell" you have gained a little...anyhow, I was reading the goals and I'm curious about "log every bite and swallow".....what exactly does that mean? thanks! Have a good day!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    DJ, a moon garden refers to a garden that is planned to be enjoyed at night. There are some flowers that are pollinated by moths, so they open at night and are usually white. Other white flowers stay open at night as well as during the day. White flowers are about the only ones you can see at night. Careful use of lighting can also highlight plant structure (spiky, ferny, round, oval, etc.). They are quite beautiful. I have never done one for two reasons- I react horribly to mosquito bites so stay in from pre-dusk to after dawn to avoid them and the church beside me has a HUGE light on the front. It was placed after someone broke in and stole all the audiovisual equipment (yes, even in Iowa there are occasional break ins). I can actually read from the light coming in the bedroom upstairs!

I am not doing the best. My son has hit the limit of his tolerance for communal living. Last night he worked himself up worrying about 'what ifs" and then got mad at me (common among worriers to blow off the energy from worrying). I am prodding the prospective landlord to finish the one page application he has had for THREE WEEKS tomorrow. As soon as that is submitted, the inspection can take place and then Peter can sign a lease! But his limited time is ticking away while the landlord sits on the paperwork. He is elderly and not doing well at all (memory and energy levels) but won't let anyone help him with the paperwork. Argh! I am praying he finishes it today!