WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Janetr, sometimes no matter what is going on in our life, we just want to eat and eat and then eat some more. The lucky thing is, this too shall pass. It sounds like you are well prepared for your surgery and I’m sure you will get through it with flying colors. You know we are all here rooting for you. Just so glad the menu won’t be all beanie weenies. Rofl

Joyce, so glad you and Charlie made it through dinner last night. Gosh Mexican food sounds dangerous with his condition, but I’m sure you know what you are doing. I do hope the doctors can get a handle on his BP. You are such a fantastic care giver!!! I just hope you give yourself credit where credit is due. (((Hugs))) Enjoy your new phone.

Gloria, how nice that you found a pillow that works great for you. To be honest, I can’t imagine a pillow that can’t be washed, with the way I used to sweat at night. Although my pillows never had an odor, they sure looked awful before washing. Sorry if TMI. Funny that I don’t’ sweat all night since I lost weight. *Just another NSV*

Liz, you are so right that logging our food helps us, no matter what we eat. Just to see it and see the calorie content is an education. Congrats on your DH (Dear or whatever Husband) for his new job. I know from experience how hard that is on our men. You are also right about staying away from processed foods and eating fresh foods. I have come to love my fresh veggies and when I can’t get them, frozen is the next best. Good Luck.

Cathy in Wash, it’s really hard to mess up with us, unless someone gets negative. As you can tell, we like to keep it positive but honest. The D can stand for dear, darn or any number of things. DH= D Husband, DD= Daughter, DS=Son, DDIL=Daughter in Law, etc. Sometimes I don’t even know what people are talking about but we can always ask. We are glad you have joined us.

Beverly, welcome! Congrats on your loss so far. That is fantastic. How long did it take you to lose that? Good for you on traveling and I’m sure you notice the difference in what you can do and how you can get around. Keep up the good work.

Sharon, so sorry you have to go back “to that place”. At least you had a wonderful time while away. I want to know how you do the needed “tune up” for DH when he starts bitching about everything. If it works, you might need to bottle and sell it. Not that any other DHs would need it.

Heather, I have to agree with wanting comfort when I go someplace. Staying with someone in their home is rarely comfortable. I just hate that my friend imposes on people when she travels and wondered if my thinking was off. There are always a few exceptions to anything. I have two friends that are like family and they would be welcome to stay as long as they wanted. The thing is, I don’t do anything different when they are here, but enjoy their company. I can go on with my routine without interruption. Thanks all for your input.

Irish Terri, Congrats on another loss. You sure must be doing something right.

Michele, I can’t remember if you told us, what is causing Vince’s back to hurt? Sure hope it gets better soon.

MNMargaret, that is so interesting about your youngest wetting the bed because of sinus problems. Who would ever think of such a thing?

Allison, you never cease to amaze me. You are such a caring, giving person. I’m so glad DFIL is doing well and he is so lucky to have you in his life.

Carol, I’m with you on not caring as much about the size as how it looks and feels. Glad you were able to find things you like.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I don’t know why but I wasn’t able to open any of the pictures that were posted. I might reboot computer later and try again as ya never know. I have a board meeting this afternoon and hope to get my nails done before it starts. Looking at the clock, I’d better get a move on.

Sending the best thoughts to all of you and I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,139 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I saw this on Facebook. I don't know if you did or not but I thought I would share it. Scott Arhardt took a picture every 10 minutes from his roof top in Dallas.

clue045erz6j.jpeg

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    d5zpyqm7auqe.jpeg

This is so true!

Mary from Minnesota
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Vicki - So glad your friend is going to a grief class. I was surprised my dad would go, but it made a huge difference to his ability to move forward after Mom died.

Terri - Congratulations to your friends, and I hope you get to help them celebrate a wedding some day! The cake is so cute! Visiting Ireland is on my bucket list. I'm not sure it will ever happen, but I keep hoping.

Pip - It's great that you have so much good news to report! The pin on your sling is adorable.

Mia - Your work is gorgeous! I love the green glass.

Liz - Congratulations to your husband (and to you!) on his new job! That is a big, big deal, especially after a long unemployment.

It was cloudy all day yesterday, but we lucked out and the clouds cleared off just in time for my husband and me to sit out on the lawn and watch the supermoon eclipse last night. So beautiful!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Margaret - thinking of your DB. <3

Thanks for all the delightful pics of glass, moons, weddings etc. How beautiful! And that Facebook moon is amazing! Thanks Mary! I'm ashamed to say I missed it, because, although I woke up to go to the bathroom it was to the side of the house with no windows and I couldn't be bothered to go outside at 3 am. :embarassed:

I will post a pic of my lovely walk this afternoon when the photo arrives in my inbox. I have sent it to myself from my phone. I think we have managed to pick enough sloes for two bottles so I will get on with that tomorrow when I have bought the gin. Other keen sloe gin makers had obviously gone before us as the bottom branches were all bare. Good job DH is tall! It was the most gorgeous day and the walk takes you past a little church and farm, across fields and into a wood which, in the spring, is covered in bluebells. We saw a buzzard and several robins. Then you come out at the River Hamble. Another stretch through the woods and then a trek back along a hedgerow, where we found the sloes.
    We came home and sat outside in the garden with a cup of tea and a slice of Allbran cake. It is fatless and not too sweet.

Tonight is salmon in my smoky, spicy rub, with roasted cauliflower and sorrel sauce. I also froze some of the cooked sorrel as it will be dying off soon.

Going to look for my photo.

Love Heather UK

• Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

>:)
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    505977rqj0udfnmo.gif
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Heather-I am looking forward to seeing the picture of your lovely walk. Good thing your DH is tall. How long does it take for the slow gin to process?

Mary from Minnesota
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    JanetR ... will be praying that your surgery is successful and uneventful tomorrow!

I'm just going to share this because I'm shaking at the moment and trying to stay away from the kitchen. Younger son (migraine boy) went to school this morning, but then called his Dad several hours later that he had gone home sick with a headache. He drove himself to school and then left at third period for something they call "open campus." He's allowed to leave the school grounds if he doesn't have a scheduled class. He wasn't feeling well so he got in his truck and decided to drive around, but his stomach became so upset that he had to pull over to be sick. Got back in his truck and drove some more and discovered he was lost. Rattled and not feeling well he pulled up to a stop light only to see a high speed police car chase bearing down on him. Five police cars and a helicopter with the chased vehicle on a collision course with my son. With just a few seconds to spare, he gunned his truck and pulled it over onto the road berm ... it was so close the chased vehicle and the police cars "rocked" his truck as they sped by. He was still white as a ghost when I checked in on him a few minutes ago. Sigh. He's only been a licensed drive for three weeks. I am so thankful that he was able to tell me this story in person.

Beth in WNY
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Love all the pictures of the moon last night. Thanks for sharing, since I can't seem to stay up past 9:00 anymore!

Heather UK: Are you an author? You mentioned not liking it if you go too long without writing, so just wondering. I love to read. Also, your salmon in a smoky, spicy rub sounds delicious. I'm so bored with the same old foods. I wish I knew more about cooking and using spices! Maybe I'll have to just start experimenting when my DH isn't home. He's pretty picky and likes things pretty plain.

Irish Terri: Your pictures of the rainbow theme are so awesome! Love it!

MNMargaret: Said a prayer for your DB this morning. Any news? Hoping all went successfully!

I still have to read pages 44-61 of this discussion to get caught up, but I figure that can be done at a leisurely pace as long as I keep up now! This is a chatty group, which is wonderful because it's so obvious how caring you all are about each other. :smile:

Today is my annual eval but I decided when I got up it was going to be a good day no matter what, so darn it, I'm not going to let anything get me down. I can take 30 minutes of wishing I was anywhere but in my ex-manager's office! Ha!

I told myself last night that this would be the week I would get up 45 minutes earlier than normal and take a walk in the morning with my black lab, Jack. Well, Monday morning has come and gone and I not only did not get up, but I hit snooze about 4,837 times! UGH. I just don't know how I'm ever going to get in the habit of walking/exercising and liking it, let alone getting up earlier to do it.

Have a great Monday everyone! I'll check in later.

Tracie in WI
  • fanncy0626
    edited September 2015
    Options
    BethWNY- wow! It is a good thing that your son was thinking. How scary for the both of you. I am glad everything turned out OK.

Tracie - I hope everything goes well for you when you are in your bosses office. Why don't you walk before you go to bed even if you have to stay up past nine. You can do it! Maybe evening is better than morning for you.

Mary from Minnesota
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Tracie - I hope everything goes well for you when you are in your bosses office. Why don't you walk before you go to bed even if you have to stay up past nine. You can do it! Maybe evening is better than morning for you.

Mary from Minnesota

I was hoping to start walking in the morning before my knees and ankle started hurting after a day at work. That's really the only reason I was going to start going in the morning...well, that and because in the summer it's cooler in the morning. I plan to go tonight when I get home from work. I'll be leaving work early today, right after my eval, because I live near Lambeau Field and if I don't get home early afternoon, the Packer traffic will have the highways at a standstill. So that gives me plenty of time to either walk, bike or go to the gym...no excuses, right? Besides, after my annual eval, I'll probably need to walk off some steam! Ha! :wink:

Tracie in WI
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »

I'm just going to share this because I'm shaking at the moment and trying to stay away from the kitchen. Younger son (migraine boy) went to school this morning, but then called his Dad several hours later that he had gone home sick with a headache. He drove himself to school and then left at third period for something they call "open campus." He's allowed to leave the school grounds if he doesn't have a scheduled class. He wasn't feeling well so he got in his truck and decided to drive around, but his stomach became so upset that he had to pull over to be sick. Got back in his truck and drove some more and discovered he was lost. Rattled and not feeling well he pulled up to a stop light only to see a high speed police car chase bearing down on him. Five police cars and a helicopter with the chased vehicle on a collision course with my son. With just a few seconds to spare, he gunned his truck and pulled it over onto the road berm ... it was so close the chased vehicle and the police cars "rocked" his truck as they sped by. He was still white as a ghost when I checked in on him a few minutes ago. Sigh. He's only been a licensed drive for three weeks. I am so thankful that he was able to tell me this story in person.

Beth in WNY

Beth, I am also thankful that your son is safe!! God bless him!

Elaine in Lansing
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,601 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-
    Spin- 42min, 78ar, 98aw, 10-15g, 16.3mi, ahr 121, mhr 147 = 356cal
  • snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. You all can call me Debby. My user name is my last name that I had when I had my 3 sons - spelled backwards. My son told me after the divorce, that I always would be a "snavemom." So I still have it, even though I am remarried now for 13 years.
    fqtk30u6jil8.jpg

Currently I am a stay-at-home Mom to 1 dog and 2 cats. c82wnd2xuhp7.jpg
    sjgotpz9vij8.jpg

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Boo, my photo hasn't arrived yet in my inbox. :(

Beth - Wow! So glad all is OK. Those police chases can be a menace. We have had a few fatalities over here. :'(

Mary - the sloe gin takes a few months. It's usually ready just before Christmas. :D

Tracie - the salmon is incredibly easy. I use boneless fillets, put them on aluminium foil, season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Then I use a chipotle paste I sometimes buy locally or from Amazon. It is quite hot, so you only need a little. Then I add a few drops of a mesquite smoky drops, again from Amazon, which are fantastic. Highly recommend them. I wrap all up loosely in the foil and bake around 400 for 12 minutes. An easy, healthy, quick dinner. :D
    We both love spiced food, but DH can't take it really hot. I like chilli sauce with everything! :laugh:

Welcome to all newbies! Great to see you!

Yes, I am a writer. My published career was mainly children's books. The remaindered copies are still available on Amazon. My name is Heather Eyles. I recently published an adult novel, which is literary fiction. I wrote it in 1982, but felt it deserved an audience. The blurb etc is on Amazon if you want to take a look and many of these ladies have read and reviewed it. <3 it is called WINDOWS. Not for the prudish. :laugh:
    I am now writing a memoir of my childhood aged 0 - 9. It is written in pencil, but I am finding it very slow going getting it onto the computer. What to include and where? A puzzlement. I soldier on - a couple of hundred words a day.
    I also published a radio play, a couple of stage plays, some poetry and a couple of short stories. I taught Creative Writing to adults for more than 10 years.
    Every day is a challenge to my commitment. I am naturally lazy and I have had to find a way of creating good habits to help me stick to my task. The book "Level Up Your Day" was a great help to me.

Thanks for asking. Lisa from Texas is also an author. :drinker: Lisa C Hannon.

Still no photo. :(

Love Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy032.gif Liz, congrats to your husband on his job and congrats to you on your return to healthier living

smiley-happy032.gif. Gloria, I have a buckwheat pillow and love it.

smiley-happy032.gif Rosie, awesome photo...we go to bed before sundown so we had no chance to see it.

welcome.gif Beverly, welcome....I started this journey at age 62 and it was the best gift I could give to myself..congrats on your weight loss so far

smiley-happy032.gif.Tracie, the way I was able to get myself up earlier to walk in the morning was to go to bed a few minutes earlier each night to help me get up earlier. At first all I accomplished was to get up early enough to walk outside for about 10 minutes before starting my day, but now I routinely go to bed at 7:30 and get up early enough to walk the dogs for 30 minutes before breakfast and 90 minutes or more after breakfast before showering and dressing to be at a class before 9:00.....take baby steps and you'll get there.

smiley-happy032.gif Irish Terri, thank you for posting the pictures of your daughter's wedding. The rainbow theme was perfect and the little figures on the cake fit the occasion perfectly

<3 janetr, we'll all be thinking of you tomorrow when you go for your surgery....be sure to let us know when you're back among the internet users...good idea to make sure there will be food you like when DH is cooking.

smiley-happy032.gif Mary, thanks for the time lapse photo

:'( Beth, sorry to hear about your son's traumatic experience

smiley-happy032.gif.Debbie, I am a stay at home mom to two standard poodles and one cat....thank you for posting pictures of your "kids" . They are beautiful. What are their names?

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png

• fanncy0626
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Heather- what a great drink for the holidays!

Debby- cute fur baby family! I don't remember if you mentioned where you live?

OK, I really have to get with it now. I think it will be sunny out for the next couple days and will be able to paint the trim on the cabin and the garage. Because of off and on rain for the last two weeks we only got the main structure of both painted.

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,601 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps-
    Yesterday, first day without pain pill. Welcome new peeps
    Love the green dishes
    Love the moon pics

Type to ya later
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options
    Too many posts to catch up! I've been so busy and stressed lately, no time for myself. When I do have time, I am exhausted! Not sleeping well, back pain and TMJ. Going to acupuncture tomorrow morning. Should feel better after that.

Just wanted to check in and say hi!

Rita from CT