Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• eweadockeweadock Posts: 24Member Member Posts: 24Member Member
    Nobody told me that friends and relatives would not recognize me. Some are delighted, others respond with curiosity or jealousy. One or two just don't smile or talk to me. Huh.
  • monicarungoodmonicarungood Posts: 41Member Member Posts: 41Member Member
    People treat you a lot differently.

I wish I'd had a better idea how hard it can be to maintain. I think my initial expectations were probably unrealistic and I struggled a lot when I realized it wasn't something where I was just going to lose the weight and then be "finished."
  • bri170lbbri170lb Posts: 1,376Member Member Posts: 1,376Member Member
    gym-timidated

Ohhhh.....that's me...... :neutral:
  • GabinkaPGabinkaP Posts: 188Member Member Posts: 188Member Member
    monicarungood, I'm thinking about maintenance now, even though I'm still 2 pounds from my goal. I wonder how I'll be able to eat more and still stay at that weight. Eat more, because right now, I'm eating for a person who weighs my goal weight but does nothing but lay in bed all day. 12x125. I'll be a moving, walking, doing person weighing my goal weight. If I don't up the calories, I'll continue to lose. Not a bad thing, really. Just don't want to have to constantly diet for the rest of my life.

The last time I dieted, I went to 110 and that was a constant diet. I am more active now, but also 10 years older. So maybe I'll just keep to my 1500 calories most days and see where it takes me. I don't feel like I deprive myself most days at that budget.
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandyIncredibleShrinkingSandy Posts: 118Member Member Posts: 118Member Member
    2307dee wrote: »
    * How addictive exercise becomes, and how cranky I get when I can't do it
    This rings true for me. For the past two days I have made sure to work out despite a slight stomach bug that has left me feeling blah and nauseated. As long as I'm not hindered by the other problems that accompany a stomach bug (Fingers crossed it doesn't lead to that.) I feel like I just need to do it or my entire day will be off. I'm avoiding cleaning and considering getting take out for dinner so I don't have to cook tonight because of how I'm feeling. Still, worked out though.
  • Lacey0903Lacey0903 Posts: 40Member Member Posts: 40Member Member
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    The small.insignificsnt (or so you thought)varicose vein is turning more and more into an unsightly mess as you drop more weight....oh well I guess I'd better get saving.

Omg, this. I got one behind my knee when I was pregnant with my daughter & now it is horrendous!
  • Artemis2121Artemis2121 Posts: 42Member Member Posts: 42Member Member
  • aspdenbraeaspdenbrae Posts: 49Member Member Posts: 49Member Member
    Splitting the seat of your shorts in the middle of the gym because my squat booty is to big lol. Oddly satisfying.

Finding out how unsupportive your family will be, I've since realized they don't want to believe weight loss is possible.

Having people think you're a different person, uhm who I am hasn't changed?
  • saylorkwsaylorkw Posts: 69Member Member Posts: 69Member Member
    aspdenbrae wrote: »
    Finding out how unsupportive your family will be, I've since realized they don't want to believe weight loss is possible.

I gave away a bunch of clothes that no longer fit, the response, "are you sure you want to get rid of these? You may need them again".
  • HappyCampr1HappyCampr1 Posts: 3,241Member, Greeter Member Posts: 3,241Member, Greeter Member
    saylorkw wrote: »
    aspdenbrae wrote: »

I gave away a bunch of clothes that no longer fit, the response, "are you sure you want to get rid of these? You may need them again".

And my husband may have been thinking the same thing, but what he actually said to me is "Well, I've got to admire your confidence." I appreciate him not expressing any doubts he may have had about me giving away my entire closet. I actually get good support from family. For me, it's coworkers and bosses that act strangely sometimes.
  • tlwshawtlwshaw Posts: 32Member Member Posts: 32Member Member
    Virkati wrote: »
    I went shopping yesterday. Tried on some dresses. I am NOT a dress girl. Not dresses, not skirts. Not me. Found out that suddenly I didn't hate what the mirror showed me. I didn't hate me anymore. Today I went shopping again. Turns out...once I got past all the layers of "self-protection" and just chose the things I like...I'm a girl!! Like, the kind of girl who WANTS to wear a pretty, feminine, swirly, flowy type of dress. Omg, nobody told me that I might find myself. And that I would love me.

@Virkati I love this! Good for you. When I found myself, I discovered I love the "sporty" me. Before, I was always dressing like a business person, even for home. I love the new me so much more.

I am noticing that I like a different style of clothing too, now that my shape is different. I look taller (and I am still 5'5"). I even tried on one of my blazers the other day and realized that it looked totally different on me now and I like it a lot better.

• kristinelskristinels Posts: 315Member Member Posts: 315Member Member
    2307dee wrote: »
    * How bone-chilling the Australian winter really is
    * How addictive exercise becomes, and how cranky I get when I can't do it
    * How shopping is now a pleasure instead of something to dread
    * How bones I didn't even know I had uncomfortably present themselves, and
    * How some days I look in the mirror and I still see me at 99kg, instead of the 54gk I am today

This is the one I would never have believed when I first got started. I was one of those people who posted the 'If you see me running, you'd better run too, because something bad is chasing me!' meme's on Facebook. Lol! Now I love my workouts and am seriously annoyed if I can't fit all my (now) usual activities into my day. Go figure!
  • Miss_ManiaMiss_Mania Posts: 168Member Member Posts: 168Member Member
    AngeBee18 wrote: »
    I have had to do some serious shopping lately to restock my wardrobe. Its awesome, and I am loving being able to find clothes that I fit in most stores I go into. However it's such an adjustment to try and just buy things I really love and make me feel great, rather than settling for anything that fits and looks 'passable' as I have had to do for so long. I was considering a dress today which fit and looked ok, but not great. It was really hard to put it back and trust that I would find something better.

I'm also bringing a lot more colour and pattern into my wardrobe because I'm not afraid to stand out any more. B)

Yes!! This is so where I'm at on my journey. Great to see others are going through the same thing lol. I used to only wear things that could fit and didn't have much options. Shopping would fill me with anxiety. Now I can spend a day shopping looking for things I actually love and putting things that are just okay back. My husband hates shopping with me now lol
  • CraigHindmarshCraigHindmarsh Posts: 13Member Member Posts: 13Member Member
    I remember noticing my oxters concaving in when i leaned over and getting really freaked out and asking people if that was normal lol!
  • Karen_can_do_thisKaren_can_do_this Posts: 1,130Member Member Posts: 1,130Member Member
    My younger sister has the grumps with me because she's my little sister and has always been "littler" compared to me her fat sister. Now that I've almost reached her weight and will keep getting lighter she is feeling a bit cranky. I'm almost 12cm shorter than her. So we're kinda swapping roles.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveItIILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172Member Member Posts: 1,172Member Member
    That I can be woken from a dead sleep because some part of my brain says "You didn't log your calories tonight!" and can't go back to sleep until I do... It was 4:30 am, brain, AM... lol.