I'm a geek: I read 2 atkins books this week.

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I had previously read several South Beach Diet books, and of course, my favorite, all things Michael Pollan.
I read the Dukan Diet. I've read Wheat Belly, Good Calories etc, paleo books, nutritarian books, the china study.......

I read for fun. While I'm working out (okay, mostly I listen).

This week I read (or re-read) Atkins New Diet Revolution, and re-read Atkins Essentials. And am currently re-reading The New Atkins for the New you

BOY was that an eye opener.

I live in academia, so I get "read the original source". But boy was it good for me to "read the original source". when it comes to low carb dieting (and LFHC).

Not quite the baconfest it's made out to be.

I have "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" in my queue, but it's Kindle, not Audible, which means it's a road trip book.

It's a good reminder for me to go back and READ the original sources.

I'm menopausal, and believe (based on the evidence) that menopause has some insulin consequences, so this is all interesting to me.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL You can go back even further if you like. Here is the Letter on Corpulence by William Banting (1869).
    http://www.citigraphics.net/citigrafx/stories/food/Banting Book.PDF
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    LOL You can go back even further if you like. Here is the Letter on Corpulence by William Banting (1869).
    http://www.citigraphics.net/citigrafx/stories/food/Banting Book.PDF

I've read that!!! It was great fun to read!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A book thread, awesome! What else are you interested in? Any genre or do you just like diet and fitness? This will be fun!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    A book thread, awesome! What else are you interested in? Any genre or do you just like diet and fitness? This will be fun!!
    Oh tons of things!

All over the place genre wise.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    LOL Yep.

I liked Atkins books too. I'm a bit of a geek myself... I recently read Keto Clarity, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, Alzhemer's Disease: What if There Was a Cure?, Keto Power, Why We get Fat and What to Do About it. Wahl's Protocol, and The Ketogenic Diet: A Scientifically Proven Approach to Fast, Healthy Weight Loss.

Keto Power and The Ketogenic Diet books I found to be less helpful. Wahl's and the alzheimer's books were very interesting as to what the diet can do for health problems not related to weight.

I'm trying to find Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Enig, but I can't locate it yet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    LOL Yep.

I liked Atkins books too. I'm a bit of a geek myself... I recently read Keto Clarity, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, Alzhemer's Disease: What if There Was a Cure?, Keto Power, Why We get Fat and What to Do About it. Wahl's Protocol, and The Ketogenic Diet: A Scientifically Proven Approach to Fast, Healthy Weight Loss.

Keto Power and The Ketogenic Diet books I found to be less helpful. Wahl's and the alzheimer's books were very interesting as to what the diet can do for health problems not related to weight.

I'm trying to find Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Enig, but I can't locate it yet.

I read keto clarity (audible) and returned it. I disliked that one. I love that audible lets me return books.

In my world: Before the Change: Taking Charge of your Perimenopause is great, as is, of course, What your Doctor May Not Tell you about Menopause.

And on the fiction front: Dr. Sleep is the best novel I've read in the last few years.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I love reading! I've read so many books..... if it's going to derail to discuss other books, we can go start another thread. OP? Do you want to talk about other genres?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm good either way. Just wanted to stress the importance of reading the original source, because MAN is atkins NOT what it's made out to be. :-) (which I suspected, of course)

One of the reasons I returned keto clarity is his false information. He referred to south beach as low carb and low fat and blathered on about that, which it's NOT.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

I love reading! I've read so many books..... if it's going to derail to discuss other books, we can go start another thread. OP? Do you want to talk about other genres?

I love reading too!! Yes, OP! Whatcha think?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I'm good either way. Just wanted to stress the importance of reading the original source, because MAN is atkins NOT what it's made out to be. :-) (which I suspected, of course)

One of the reasons I returned keto clarity is his false information. He referred to south beach as low carb and low fat and blathered on about that, which it's NOT.

Moore does phrase everything in terms of his own experiences in Keto Clarity. I skimmed a fair bit of that one too.

I too like going back to the sources when I can. Another reason Ket Clarity was just an okay book.

I also read That Sugar Book (I think that was the title) which was a spin off of That Sugar Film. A neat idea but it's just fluff with a tiny spattering of science. Not worth the time.

I'm also reading The Ask and Answer (a series my son wanted to read which I thought might be a bit old for him), Saint Odd, and a couple of really nice cookbooks on bacon. LOL :p
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Moore does phrase everything in terms of his own experiences in Keto Clarity.

And that's exactly it. I bet he's never read the south beach diet. :p
    While keto clarity was a fun adventure, it read like "one man's journey" not a guide to health.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Another one I read, a while back, was the power of habit. Good stuff.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I've heard good things about The Power of Habit. I have a hold on it at the library!

Ooh! Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking was a great read for me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I also love to read, but mine is mostly in genres that would derail this thread, so I'll just say it's been awhile since I've read a dietary book. I'm in, though, because this looks like an interesting thread to follow. :)
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever) by Jackie Warner. This was the last diet book I read about 3 years ago. Interesting read.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Another one I read, a while back, was the power of habit. Good stuff.

Excellent book.

I also like Brian Wansink for health and fitness stuff. Liked Sugar Salt Fat and am reading Yoni Freedhoff's Diet Fix (I read diet books although I think they are largely pointless, who knows why). And as always I recommend Matt Fitzgerald's Diet Cults. I also found Rich Roll's book kind of inspirational, although we have very different approaches (and I don't see myself doing some of the athletic feats he has).

Fun genre fiction I've read recently (not great lit, but I enjoyed them): Pretty Is and The Girl With All the Gifts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Most people I see going on about bacon on low carb diets are, well, low carbers.

Having done paleo briefly, I know there's a backlash in the paleo world about how bacon is promoted by many as a healthy thing in paleo-land, and I'm not surprised there's such in low carb-ville, nor that it wasn't part of the original Atkins plan (in fact I knew that, since I recall when Atkins was big in the early '00s, just before the South Beach craze).

But here's a pretty good discussion between Taubes and another science writer that shows that Taubes does, in fact, promote a more stereotypical low carb diet (as do lots of low carbers I know, as I mentioned): http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/2981

• maplehouse200
    maplehouse200 Posts: 53 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Try;
    Death by food pyramid, by Denise Minger.
    The big fat surprise, by Nina Teicholtz.
    Pure white and deadly, by John Yudkin.
    The great cholesterol con, by Dr Malcolm Kendrick.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I miss being able to read a book. The consequences of glaucoma/cataracts.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Have you read "Protein Power" by the Drs Eads?

That was the one that started me on the LC lifestyle